Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

thathonkey posted:

yeah aka by a poor

Or, alternatively, a straight guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

a happy snowman posted:

Yeah, no

It's one of the to 10 most valuable companies in the world, a HUGE number of people use Apple products across all ages, social strata, education levels, technical savviness, etcetera. There is no such thing as an 'Apple Fan' because you can find anyone in their user base.

You are really an idiot child that needs to make up wild stories about people that don't exist to massage your tenderhole, that's great, a literally tiny difference in a computer product is enough to make such wild value judgments, etcetera.

Do yourself a favor and read up on 'the narcissism of small differences' and grok what it means while you can, because if you really still believed all this poo poo after, say, age 28 when your brain actually fully forms, then that would be incredibly sad.

ok not that this really needs a response apart from "lmfao"

but that generalization was born from a long series of observations, like for example that Apple gets away with poo poo no other company would get away with. If they, say, decide to kill off their headphone jack for no reason, within a couple days people on the Internet start saying things like "the 3.5mm jack is trash" and sincerely believe that this was an original opinion they had developed on their own with no outside prompting. This is a real phenomenon which appears unique to Apple, because as in my example, if Microsoft or Sony dares to imply that they take their userbase for granted, that userbase tells them to gently caress themselves. Sorry if ur mad, but that's how it is :shrug:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
but the moto z took its headphone jack out first!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Apple fans literally believe that unlike every other company in the world, Apple makes magical space products from the future that will make all your problems go away and that to doubt or question anything they do is to DOUBT OR QUESTION THE MARCH OF HUMAN PROGRESS and it's hilarious

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

a happy snowman posted:

Yeah, no

It's one of the to 10 most valuable companies in the world, a HUGE number of people use Apple products across all ages, social strata, education levels, technical savviness, etcetera. There is no such thing as an 'Apple Fan' because you can find anyone in their user base.

You are really an idiot child that needs to make up wild stories about people that don't exist to massage your tenderhole, that's great, a literally tiny difference in a computer product is enough to make such wild value judgments, etcetera.

Do yourself a favor and read up on 'the narcissism of small differences' and grok what it means while you can, because if you really still believed all this poo poo after, say, age 28 when your brain actually fully forms, then that would be incredibly sad.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Here's a real issue with the i7, grok this poo poo you fagotty fucks

https://mobile.twitter.com/imyke/status/776916630643302402

Apparently you can't use the iPhone 7 home button if you're wearing gloves

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
CLICKGATE

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Posting in the YOSPOS Apple thread is doing a lot to confirm stereotypes for me, like, a guy insisted over the course of a several-post-long conversation that Microsoft had stolen the Modern UI design philosophy from Apple, even though MS was using it first.

He insisted that it seemed more likely to him that Microsoft had stolen the UI design by eavesdropping on Apple's internal debates (through double-agents and infiltrators maybe) and picking a UI philosophy that Apple had decided against (because the fact that any the ubermenschen at Apple were even talking about using solid colors instead of faux-leather patterns made it an idea worth its weight in gold) than that they had, y'know, thought of the idea of building their UI out of squares by themselves. He called me naive for saying that was dumb conspiracy bullshit. Even if I were imagining all of this because of narcissism or whatever I couldn't make this poo poo up.

Don Tacorleone posted:

This was a cool fringe benefit to using the dead gay Lumia phone series -- it was designed by Finns, so you bet your loving rear end the touchscreen still worked if you were wearing gloves.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Don Tacorleone posted:

aaaahahahahaha

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Honestly out of all the idiot -gates about the iPhone, this is actually bad, maybe as bad as the antenna fuckup

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Don Tacorleone posted:

Honestly out of all the idiot -gates about the iPhone, this is actually bad, maybe as bad as the antenna fuckup

It's extra funny because this is absolutely a technologically solved problem, but you probably don't think of it at all if you live in sunny California as opposed to, say, Finland

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Don Tacorleone posted:

iPhone 7's home button is straight up just a capacitive sensor. No travel or mechanical switch to it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
once again, apple is trying to save you plebs from yourselves. you cannot use a high end luxury device such as an iphone with your grubby gloves on. unsheath your delicate hand and slide it against its supple glass exterior

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

zen death robot posted:

My wife got her rose gold 7+ hugephone today and I'm still waiting for mine to ship

Wow that's REALLY interesting, Zen DUMB Robot 🙄

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

iPhone 7's home button is straight up just a capacitive sensor. No travel or mechanical switch to it.

So brave.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

zen death robot posted:

My wife got her rose gold 7+ hugephone today and I'm still waiting for mine to ship

I can't even begin to grok this

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

So wait it's not an actual button there anymore?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Thank you for giving me one more thing to laugh at. what a bunch of gently caress ups

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

TontoCorazon posted:

So wait it's not an actual button there anymore?

Yeah it's not longer a physical button with actual travel but they did the same thing to the macbook pro track pads and those are fine. Not a bad choice, and not nearly as bad as not including a headphone jack.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
They got rid of the physical button and instead put a gigantic vibrating motor were the headphone jack was to make it imitate the feel of a physical button that doesn't work with gloves.

The worlds most advanced smartphone.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Teardown of the Iphone 7, it has even more glue and more special screws than the Iphone 6

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+7+Plus+Teardown/67384

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

loquacius posted:

ok not that this really needs a response apart from "lmfao"

but that generalization was born from a long series of observations, like for example that Apple gets away with poo poo no other company would get away with. If they, say, decide to kill off their headphone jack for no reason, within a couple days people on the Internet start saying things like "the 3.5mm jack is trash" and sincerely believe that this was an original opinion they had developed on their own with no outside prompting. This is a real phenomenon which appears unique to Apple, because as in my example, if Microsoft or Sony dares to imply that they take their userbase for granted, that userbase tells them to gently caress themselves. Sorry if ur mad, but that's how it is :shrug:

Remember when MS announced their Xbone and everyone was like 'wtf is this garbage' and they changed the product?

Apple is just no we're brave.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Roylicious posted:

Remember when MS announced their Xbone and everyone was like 'wtf is this garbage' and they changed the product?

See, the difference is in the fact that everyone was like 'wtf is this garbage' to begin with. That's the natural response when a company does something you don't like and appears to be under the impression you'll just put up with it. You refuse to patronize them and if they're wise they'll change up the product so that maybe you'll give them money again one day. And MS is still paying for that mistake, because their patrons aren't as slavishly devoted to them as Apple's are. If Apple's brand had been in the exact same scenario they'd have come out of it smelling like a rose and drowning in money.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Roylicious posted:

Arrogance is a hell of a drug, let me tell you.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

zen death robot posted:

All phones are garbage, some don't have standard headphone jacks and some explode you gotta pick your poison

And by non standard you mean not at all; correct ?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

it has a digital jack, an iJack if you will :smug:

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again

zen death robot posted:

All phones are garbage, some don't have standard headphone jacks and some explode you gotta pick your poison

coming from the guy who cant live without his phone for a day

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I rather explode than not be able listen to my many hours of music.

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

TontoCorazon posted:

I rather explode than not be able listen to my many hours of music.

are you brain damaged? it comes with headphones AND a dongle so you can plugin your MTN dew sponsored gaming headset

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I refuse to call anything a "dongle"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

You never ran into the 2.5mm headphone jacks that were common in the 2000s? I think I still have some 2.5 to 3.5mm adapters around here somewhere.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
if you use the headphone jack in your care, the adapter pretty much solves that problem for you other than now you can't charge it which sucks but you can at least by another adapter that splits it so you can charge and listen at the same time. it's lovely but not the end of the world for you.

if you use the headphone jack on the go as headphones are commonly used for then having to remember to carry around an adapter just in case you might want to put headphones on somewhere is ridiculous. i guess now you have to buy wireless headphones (apple's look completely gay of course and probably sound like garbage just like all of their audio)

luckily i don't really do the latter because i never leave my house. in my car i have bluetooth because i'm not poor. iphones are time and time again proven to not be for poors which is why people who dont have them envy them so much and try to nitpick over the smallest issues and create a huge deal about them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

They got rid of the headphone jack to make space for a needless barometric vent and larger Taptic Engine, which doesn't even loving work right. Genius.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 17, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I never leave the house, so I don't need a old fashioned wired headphones is a great arguement.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

a bone to pick posted:

I refuse to call anything a "dongle"

A dongle is a hardware license key. An adapter is just an adapter not a dongle

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

How much room does a physical button take vs. that taptic engine thingy

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

How much room does a physical button take vs. that taptic engine thingy

They removed a headphone jack to make room for a worse implementation of the home button.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

What would have been truly revolutionary is if they got rid of the headphone jack and used the extra space to add a BACK and a MENU button to the goddamn phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The iPhone 7 has the wrong RAM.

• Locked thread