Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Enigma posted:

Vault 81 has tire tracks in the dirt just outside the entrance, yet nobody has seen fit to build a wheeled vehicle in two centuries. For me, I think that tops the food thing.

The original Fallout games had wheeled vehicles that functioned in the setting at least. What's extra weird now is how there are so many stacks of perfectly good (two hundred year old) tires hanging around but nobody's using them for anything more than fires or walls.

You'd think in FO4 that one faction or another would've gotten those APCs working at least; they're made to cart around power armor troops after all and seem in incredibly good condition, you'd think the BOS would be all over that tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The NCR has working transport trucks and APCs, plus a fleet of vertibirds. They don't show them working ingame because the engine would explode, but they have a mechanized army.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Arcsquad12 posted:

They don't show them working ingame because the engine would explode

Incidentally, that's exactly how the car mods for NV work, through invisible explosions.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Gamebryo. Gamebryo never changes.

I thought that their solution to the Hubologists quest in Nuka-world was quaint, though. Instead of the room spinning, they just spin you. I had Gage with me at the time and he walked in front of me and just stood there right in my face while I whirled around and everyone else's heads exploded.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'll always have a fondness for the Skyrim car mods that were just reskinned horses

Jeeps, lost because they wandered down to the stream to drink

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
Uh, Bethesda...

Why am I wearing blackface?

:sigh:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
finished up 2 and decided to jump back into New Vegas for the first time in a long while

I never realized really how much I was missing a grenade launcher

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I started a new game on survival. Holy poo poo the early game is nigh impossible. I've died five times trying to kill that drat deathclaw in Concord.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

you can cheese it by hiding in the store front opposite the building you got the power armor in, and shooting it through the windows

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

The NCR has working transport trucks and APCs, plus a fleet of vertibirds. They don't show them working ingame because the engine would explode, but they have a mechanized army.
Skeletons of scripts indicated that they at least tried to get a moving truck prop working. Didn't take.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bitter fly posted:

I started a new game on survival. Holy poo poo the early game is nigh impossible. I've died five times trying to kill that drat deathclaw in Concord.

Once you get into a groove and learn the new rules of the road, it becomes a lot easier. Stuff like scrounge up Razorwheat early because that + dirty water = noodle cups which heal thirst AND hunger.

Go SLOW. I recommend

1) Sleep N Save - makes saving at beds a LOT quicker and unless I'm thinking of another mod, has an item you can craft to autosave to patch together a save+exit functionality
2) Immersive fast travel - use oil to make fuel and fly/drive between settlements you own. A lot better than using Vertibirds to go everywhere

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What's the endgame for melee weapons? Seems to be either a sledgehammer or baseball bat (rockville slugger) with rockets strapped to it.
(For some reason sledgehammer + rocket is better than a super sledge)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Skeletons of scripts indicated that they at least tried to get a moving truck prop working. Didn't take.

A lot of people wanted a car in the Bethesda Fallout games (myself included) and pointed to there being horses in Oblivion and Skyrim as proof that they could do it if they wanted to. Bethesda offered up that 'it's been done before so we're not interested' as a reason why there wasn't a car added for the player but if you look at any car mod (or any mods that increase your speed ) that was added to Oblivion you'd see that the real reason is that the engine is so poo poo at dynamically loading assets that you'd often find yourself racing off into the void because the cell you were in couldn't load fast enough. They'd also probably have a hell of a time animating it going over uneven terrain and steep inclines.

Keep in mind that Fallout 3 is the game where you wear a subway train as a hat and run really, really fast towards Andrews Air Force Base... that was their solution.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the endgame for melee weapons? Seems to be either a sledgehammer or baseball bat (rockville slugger) with rockets strapped to it.
(For some reason sledgehammer + rocket is better than a super sledge)

Krehmv or however it's spelled + stealth + blitz + ninja + melee weapon skill

or that super sledge you get in Far Harbour

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I kinda dig how each and every Bethesda game seems to have less and less content, interesting systems and RPG elements, even as it has better and more satisfying gameplay (as in scrounging, creating and gunplay)

On the other hand, I also find it pretty loving pathetic, especially as Nuka World is the last thing they did and there they show a stunning lack of originality that we know and love for them

Anyone know any good open world aRPGs?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Bitter fly posted:

I started my first survival game with a 1/1/1/10/10/1/4 character and I basically handled that by hiding on the roof sniping the raiders down with Preston's help, then when the deathclaw was all that was left I jumped down to the street and popped Med X/Psycho/Jet and just gunned it down in no time.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh for the Condord deathclaw, hide in the diner. It can't get in and you can fire out

Do not get cocky and leave the safety of your 50's deco chich womb no matter how safe it seems until the Deathclaw is dead

Is it a diner or hardware store? Either way, the open bottom floor building on the corner of the left side of the street as you leave the museum

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

That's definitely a hardware store. There's a bar of some kind further down across from that.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

the wasteland doesn't need people to clean it up, all it needs is a few dozen more player characters that've been playing FO4 for too long

seriously, this is impacting my FNV playthrough because I keep obsessively loading up on useless junk

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Kokoro Wish posted:

^^ Yes.

This is 1950s fantasy super-atom nuclear radiation. This poo poo can grossly make things enormous and sentient and shoot psychic energy out of their asses. The logic of reality does not apply.

None of the Fallouts make sense if you apply real world logic to them.

It's the will of Atom

What did four giant, cartoon fingers say to the face?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"This is clownshoes! Literally!"

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

Oh for the Condord deathclaw, hide in the diner. It can't get in and you can fire out

Do not get cocky and leave the safety of your 50's deco chich womb no matter how safe it seems until the Deathclaw is dead

Is it a diner or hardware store? Either way, the open bottom floor building on the corner of the left side of the street as you leave the museum

Concord is designed so that the deathclaw can be easily killed.

There are 3 different buildings that you can hide inside and shoot out the doors, and in all three buildings you can also climb up to an upper floor or roof to shoot down at the deathclaw in perfect safety.

Also, instead of killing the raiders outside the museum, you can just run down to where the deathclaw spawns, which will cause it to spawn instantly. Then you can run off and let the raiders and the deathclaw fight it out, which will take off a bunch of his health.

It's possible to get the deathclaw killed without firing a shot, by staying in the area near preston garvey and letting him slowly plink away at its health. If it can't get to you, it eventually runs and hides behind a building, which means you have to go near it and get it to chase you and run back into the building with the open windows again.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is that a mod? Which one?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Looks like Nuka World parts.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Also worth noting that if you played normally (killing everything between Sanctuary and Concord and not leaving to take a nap) then your damage multiplier is probably decent. Throw a grenade when the deathclaw first claws its way out, time exploding the truck right when he charges and that's like 2/3 of its health right that's.

But yes, if you mis-time the truck part then sprint towards the store to hide like a scared baby.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Can I just say how much i love what happens when you start clicking through dialog.

"Yep"
"Mmhmm"
"Alright"

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

a kitten posted:

Can I just say how much i love what happens when you start clicking through dialog.

"Yep"
"Mmhmm"
"Alright"
I like the alternate skip button (circle on the PS4 controller)

"whatever"
"blah blah blah"
"shuuuut up"

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

The jerk skips have individualized responses sometimes, too. Try it on farmers or named npcs (Irma from the memory den gets a sarcastic "nice dress" if I remember right)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh man, i didn't even know there was a "jerk" option while skipping. What's it bound to on PC?

Also, Fallout 4: the Search for More Glue
:argh:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

a kitten posted:

Oh man, i didn't even know there was a "jerk" option while skipping. What's it bound to on PC?

Right arrow key, or whatever else you normally use for the jerk dialogue responses

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
That'd be left arrow key.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I choose left every time it says "Sarcastic." I love that characters reply in a myriad of ways to sarcasm. Some get mad and roll their eyes, others like it and reply with a bad pun or sarcastic reply of their own.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Icedude posted:

Right arrow key, or whatever else you normally use for the jerk dialogue responses

Oh, i always just pick one of the 4 options with the mouse. :downs:

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
There are also skip sounds that you only hear when your character is drunk.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

a kitten posted:

Also, Fallout 4: the Search for More Glue
:argh:

Cook Vegetable Starch.

Love Vegetable Starch.

Become one with the Vegetable Starch.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The best part about the SARCASTIC response is that maybe half the time its actually sarcasm.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The best thing about the Sarcastic responses is that occasionally it's not utterly banal bullshit that you can safely ignore (i.e., everything Bethesda writes). It's really the only hope for Bethesda's writing. A broken clock is right twice a day, a million chimps with a million typewriters, etc.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How is the sarcastic tone of the female PC? The male VA is very WAY over the top with the sarcasm that he sounds drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Fallout isn't about the 50's view of the apocalypse which has evidence from the first Fallout manual which is a detailed description of the actual mechanics of an atomic bomb and how Fallout 1 and 2 are relatively grounded, Fallout 3 is where that really started to come to the forefront.

• Locked thread