Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Thought it was Ruse until I saw the Mr. just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I beat the game. My favorite cases were Case 2 and the first half of Case 5. However, every case was good. (whole game spoilers) I'm glad that Apollo has become a true hero. Also Queen Garan's FINAL FORM made me laugh harder than anything else in the Ace Attorney series. Good game. Congratulations to all the children. Thank you

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am at the very start of case 5. I hope that this game, or the DLC case, ends with Phoenix and Maya getting married.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Forums were down during the majority of 6-5 last night. So consider this a catchup:

WHAT.
THE.
gently caress.

WHATTTTTTT?

FUCKKKKKKKK?

WHYYYYYY?

AA6 is the best Ace Attorney they have put out yet.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The best thing about this game is that AA7 now has a lot of room to work with, so many different angles that they can hit

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm betting on three simultaneous cases (one in Khura'in with Apollo) that turn out to be linked.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

alcharagia posted:

I beat the game. My favorite cases were Case 2 and the first half of Case 5. However, every case was good. (whole game spoilers) I'm glad that Apollo has become a true hero. Also Queen Garan's FINAL FORM made me laugh harder than anything else in the Ace Attorney series. Good game. Congratulations to all the children. Thank you

SoJ's case 2 is pretty much the best case 2 in the series. Probably one of my all time favourite's as well.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Some of the way into Case 5 Trial Day 2. I saw some people mentioning 999 out of spoiler tags and I wondered what they could possibly be talking about...and I just did the Divination Seance. Well, poo poo, Inga had prosopagnosia, didn't he? Is Apollo going to stand up and say "Actually...I'm Phoenix" next?

Also who is alive and who is dead and who is channeling who at any given moment aaaaaaaa

I expect I still have a way to go.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

SoJ's case 2 is pretty much the best case 2 in the series. Probably one of my all time favourite's as well.

The main thing that brings cases 2 and 3 down is that the clients are people we already know. And Maya's been accused like 4 times by now. I get that it's largely because they wanted the larger cast of protagonists to breathe more, but still.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

There's a lot of room for different prosecutor-attorney matchups. I'd like to see Athena-Gavin, Phoenix-Gavin in a not crooked trial, anyone against Franziska if they ever decide to bring her back

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I would prefer never seeing Klavier again in general, let alone behind the prosecution bench.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Just finished this game. Really good ending, really good game in general. Possibly the best Ace Attorney game? Hard to say for sure, but I really enjoyed it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I would prefer never seeing Klavier again in general, let alone behind the prosecution bench.

I wouldn't mind if his corpse turned up but that's about it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

People say Franziska and Godot are bad prosecutors in their own games, and I can see that, but at least they're interesting characters outside of their role as a rival. Klavier has the skeleton of an interesting character, but they made him so nonchalant and chill about everything that he's just boring.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franziska is awesome.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, Klavier robbed us of a cool special prosecutor for case 4-4.

"Oh, you just want baby Klavier, right? Klavier's really cool."

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I hear Apollo is the center of the next Asinine Attorney DLC, so you may want to gird your loins...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

The main thing that brings cases 2 and 3 down is that the clients are people we already know. And Maya's been accused like 4 times by now. I get that it's largely because they wanted the larger cast of protagonists to breathe more, but still.

I'm fine with Trucy being a defendant. It's basically a rite of passage by this point, and she's a really major part of the case beyond just being the convenient person to frame or anything. So I thought it was pretty ok. Case 3's a bit different though, yeah.

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, Klavier robbed us of a cool special prosecutor for case 4-4.

"Oh, you just want baby Klavier, right? Klavier's really cool."

I think that's less Klav's fault and more just 4-4 being extremely poorly thought out and bad.

Anyway, I don't mind Klavier. I actually really enjoy him outside of court, even in AJ. He and Apollo are just sorta friends who express their friendship by making GBS threads on each other and getting on each other's nerves. It's good. He just shares the same problem basically all characters in AJ do, of the writing only caring about Phoenix. There's shades of something there that they want to do a thing about him being conflicted about Kristoph, but nothing happens. And you know the whole thing of him never really feeling like an opponent in court, which works fine as an idea, but not really as a satisfying thing to play through.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 18, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I haven't even gotten Phoenix's. I don't know if it's worth the money to me, even if it's new AA content.

And yeah, I guess I kinda like how Apollo and Klavier are always busting each other's chops.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Klav's fine. He's like the only prosecutor to actively help out the defense to do their job during investigations rather than impede. That alone is more character than Whip Fool Foolish Fooly Fool Fool Whip Fool Fool Whip Fool

Not all prosecutors have to be villains

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yes they do.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I mean Edgeworth himself is only really a villain in one game and then after that is pretty much chill, just socially awkward

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I am at the very start of case 5. I hope that this game, or the DLC case, ends with Phoenix and Maya getting married.

I am just shocked you would have such an awful username, Pearls. Wait...are you posting on Larry's account? I know it's nice to share but that's against the rules here!

I mean Edgeworth himself is only really a villain in one game and then after that is pretty much chill, just socially awkward

(Whole-ish/C5 game spoilers) Every bit of interaction between Wright and Edgeworth on Investigation Day 2, Part 2 are golden motes dancing in the sunlight. They behave exactly like old, comfortable friends. Or "special someones," if you read it that way.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 18, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah, and he's barely ever the prosecution after that (and the main time he is is 2-4 which is a special case)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I wouldn't really consider godot a villain either, just kind of a prick who is testing wright the entire time

throwing coffee at phoenix isn't really that evil when you take into context the amount of characters who throw things at and/or punch/kick Phoenix over the course of the series. phoenix is a magnet for violence

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Godot is not testing Phoenix, he just straight up hates the guy.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Lurdiak posted:

Maya gets accused of murder in just about every Ace Attorney game she appears in. At this point it's a running gag. Just roll with it.

Speaking of Case 3 (I'm just starting the day 2 trial sequence), I was not expecting to just flat-out eat a guilty verdict in Day 1. No last-second objections by someone carrying a piece of game-changing evidence this time. Fortunately it was the reveal of a second murder that allowed the trial to continue. Phew.

This case really does not feel like the typical filler Case 3 that Ace Attorney games usually have(It seems more like Investigations 2 in that regard). Phoenix has fought his share of uphill battles, but this one feels like as much of a sheer cliff as that mountain the murder took place on.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 18, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They're at least antagonistic!

They're at least a challenge you want to overcome!

I don't want you to help me, Klavier, I just want you to get mad when I win! Because I'm beating you, you glimmerous wannabe Eurotrash fop!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Klav's fine. He's like the only prosecutor to actively help out the defense to do their job during investigations rather than impede. That alone is more character than Whip Fool Foolish Fooly Fool Fool Whip Fool Fool Whip Fool

You don't have to be a villain to be an antagonist, and Klavier did a bad job at being that. If he's just going to help the defense, then why is he even a prosecutor?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

They're at least antagonistic!

They're at least a challenge you want to overcome!

I don't want you to help me, Klavier, I just want you to get mad when I win! Because I'm beating you, you glimmerous wannabe Eurotrash fop!
I get this at least

I never got the sense that klav wasn't antagonistic tho, it's just that he is only antagonistic to apollo because he knows he gets under his skin

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He's antagonistic in a "I'm gonna make fun of your forehead" way, not a "I'm going to actually put up a fight in this goddamn murder trial" way.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I don't want to fight Dinkleberg in my murder trials

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The best thing Klavier ever did was not be in Spirit of Justice.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If they create another villainous prosecutor I hope it's one that we're not tasked to 'save' yet again

Suspicious Cook posted:

The best thing Klavier ever did was not be in Spirit of Justice.
i have bad news

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

The Asinine Attorney sketches are just side jokes and don't count. :colbert:

Which is a shame, because I want Pearl to be the Queen of Khura'in.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think having a friendly prosecutor works when the actual culprit stands out as the villain and needs teamwork to be brought down (eg 1-5, 2-4). Aggressive prosecutors like Blackquill tend to overshadow the cast of the cases they're in, which isn't always what you want.

Having the prosecutor always be a bad person would also skew the message of the series towards "all prosecutors are evil" which is kindof dumb, it's more about the need for vigorous and determined debate to discover the truth.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Blackquill is a good compromise of not wanting an evil prosecutor but still having him be a tough opponent who is working against you the entire time. Like, by the end of the case you kinda wonder why he's still working against you when he's proven to be a pretty alright dude who isn't actually corrupt or anything, but for the most part it works well.

Blackquill's great.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It also helps that that there's a reasonable reason to believe the defendant could've actually done it whenever he's prosecuting. On the flipside, Turnabout Serenade was a case that happened.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think Blackquill is a good compromise of not wanting an evil prosecutor but still having him be a tough opponent who is working against you the entire time. Like, by the end of the case you kinda wonder why he's still working against you when he's proven to be a pretty alright dude who isn't actually corrupt or anything, but for the most part it works well.

Blackquill's great.

It''s surprising that Blackquill works as well as he does, considering he has three separate gimmicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

It''s surprising that Blackquill works as well as he does, considering he has three separate gimmicks.

All of those gimmicks own though.

Blackquill is probably my favourite prosecutor.