Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I kinda want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The real ones from the episode were probably auctioned off for $10,000 each

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Here are some very excellent, correct opinions about The Voyager Home:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/20/star-trek-iv-voyage-home-leonard-nimoy

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

showbiz_liz posted:

Actually you know what, gently caress it, they should just lean into the whole 'no budget' thing and slavishly imitate the original show aesthetic, like to the point of making all the rocks out of expanding foam.

To be fair, this is what a lot of the fan films were doing, and they showed you could pull off a period accurate show to TOS with the same sets, costumes, lighting, props, sound effects, music, and visual effects on a shoestring budget thanks to modern consumer technology. It would be cheap as hell to do a "modern" pre-TOS show that was authentic, though it would tank in the ratings because nobody would watch it besides King Nerds (of which I am one).

That said, the $5M per episode figure for Enterprise being thrown around is probably not equal to what you could do on today's visual effects budgets. They've come a long way and are a lot cheaper. You could probably make Enterprise today for a lot less. Also if they don't get a big name like Bakula, they will save somewhat on actor salaries.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Astroman posted:

To be fair, this is what a lot of the fan films were doing, and they showed you could pull off a period accurate show to TOS with the same sets, costumes, lighting, props, sound effects, music, and visual effects on a shoestring budget thanks to modern consumer technology. It would be cheap as hell to do a "modern" pre-TOS show that was authentic, though it would tank in the ratings because nobody would watch it besides King Nerds (of which I am one).

That said, the $5M per episode figure for Enterprise being thrown around is probably not equal to what you could do on today's visual effects budgets. They've come a long way and are a lot cheaper. You could probably make Enterprise today for a lot less. Also if they don't get a big name like Bakula, they will save somewhat on actor salaries.

There's a tremendous amount of free labour in these fan projects, though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Dark One posted:

There's a tremendous amount of free labour in these fan projects, though.

Not in Axanar!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm just going to count STD lucky if CBS springs for the budget to build an actual physical set. If the show doesn't have a decent budget I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a green screen suck fest like Sanctuary.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Happy Birthday, Enterprise! :toot: Rollout was forty years ago today:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fun fact. The kid who played Tommy in "The Children Shall Lead" later went on to invent the Blaster Beam which gave ST:TMP its distinctive soundtrack.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Voyager is still a pile of garbage but I genuinely enjoy Tim Russ in every scene he's in. Tuvok is the undisputed snark master of Trek.

Is there an episode that features Tuvok and the Doctor prominently?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

8one6 posted:

I'm just going to count STD lucky if CBS springs for the budget to build an actual physical set. If the show doesn't have a decent budget I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a green screen suck fest like Sanctuary.

I think Fuller at one point tweeted a photo of the captain's chair in construction.

Yep: https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/755178837894270977

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The Dark One posted:

Good article

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It really is. And it makes me kind of sad for modern Trek movies, they all try to recapture Wrath of Khan in one way or another. But pre-internet, Voyage Home always struck me as the Star Trek movie. The one everybody knew and everybody loved, it used to get crazy broadcast replay. I wish someone would take some influence from it for a change.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

I'm so happy to see McCoy's disco medallion crosses over into the real world too, albeit not as majestic.

Also, Walter Koeing is not impressed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Knormal posted:

Eh, it's good, but nothing like the cosmonauts have back in Russia.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Eh, it's good, but nothing like the cosmonauts have back in Russia.

From what I have heard, there actually was decent argument for Russia's Buran Space Shuttle on certain grounds, though it obviously didn't get much use due to political upheaval at the time, and was mothballed when the government collapsed.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a9763/did-the-soviets-actually-build-a-better-space-shuttle-16176311/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/04/160412-soviet-union-space-shuttle-buran-cosmonaut-day-gagarin/

http://www.popsci.com/why-soviet-space-shuttle-was-left-rot?image=5

Oooh, urban exploration pics.
http://www.businessinsider.com/phot...in-this-room-24

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 17, 2016

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Powered Descent posted:

So I guess DeForest Kelley just wore his own clothes when filming TMP.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

remusclaw posted:

From what I have heard, there actually was decent argument for Russia's Buran Space Shuttle on certain grounds, though it obviously didn't get much use due to political upheaval at the time, and was mothballed when the government collapsed.

There's an entire Spaceflight Megathread for this kind of thing, but I have to warn you that the topic of Buran vs. Shuttle always turns into a stupid, stupid slapfight.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

remusclaw posted:

...Russia's Buran Space Shuttle ...
Oooh, urban exploration pics.
http://www.businessinsider.com/phot...in-this-room-24

Those are amazing!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

There's an entire Spaceflight Megathread for this kind of thing, but I have to warn you that the topic of Buran vs. Shuttle always turns into a stupid, stupid slapfight.

Understood. Just passing on some cool stuff I remember from what was likely some kind of derail. I have no where near any level of expertise on the matter and was parroting a Popular Science article. Will definitely look into that thread though. Thanks.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

The Dark One posted:

I watched this recently and was surprised by how much more I love it now. I used to think it was good, but in light of the new Trek movies, this is the one that was the best wide-audience film, and it was actually good. I haven't seen Beyond, but come on.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I can't make up my mind whether "The Empath" is great or terrible.

Plus, Bones naming her "Gem" while there with Jim is super loving weird.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cenotaph posted:

Good article

I agree, but the author kind of overreaches right at the end:

quote:

Nimoy died last year, age 82: A long life, and prosperous. Spock will live forever, of course — and The Voyage Home is his magnum opus. Quickly, listen to the theme music for Voyage Home by Leonard Rosenman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct5-__9VTAY

Can you hear the festive melody? Aren’t those bells ringing vaguely yuletidal? There’s no obvious comparison in movie history for Star Trek: the Voyage Home, not many time travel message movies about family and friends and the fear that we’re all doomed because of sins in the past, and how that fear will always crash like waves against the shore of the eternal human hope that it’s not too late, that we can change.

Yeah no, sorry man, that theme was Rosenman recycling his failed and overblown score for the Ralph Bakshi Lord of the Rings movie several years earlier. It was a poor fit for LotR and not much better for Star Trek. And there's certainly nothing thematic to be read in its "exuberance".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0DvOMdQFBE

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Data Graham posted:

I agree, but the author kind of overreaches right at the end:

Yeah no, sorry man, that theme was Rosenman recycling his failed and overblown score for the Ralph Bakshi Lord of the Rings movie several years earlier. It was a poor fit for LotR and not much better for Star Trek. And there's certainly nothing thematic to be read in its "exuberance".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0DvOMdQFBE

I want to say he tried recycling it a third time, but I can't remember for what movie. I could be wrong.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

McNally posted:

I want to say he tried recycling it a third time, but I can't remember for what movie. I could be wrong.

Robocop 2?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

YESS that was it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I can't make up my mind whether "The Empath" is great or terrible.

Plus, Bones naming her "Gem" while there with Jim is super loving weird.

The Empath sucks. It aims for minimalism but only looks cheap and dull. It's just not an exciting hour of tv. It's not ridiculously terrible like Alternative Factor or And the Children Shall Lead, it's just weak and boring. I can see why Kelley liked it so much since the treatment of McCoy's character is a little unusual, but for me it's totally lacking in tension because we know as always the main characters won't be permanently harmed and Gem herself is such a non-entity. It's one of the worse third season episodes in my opinion. I would legitimately rather watch Spock's Brain. It may be loving stupid, but it moves along at a good clip and has some really funny deliveries, intentionally or no. I can't think of a single concrete moment when I think of The Empath, just a bunch of people meandering around an empty set.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, The Empath is rumored to be the single cheapest episode of the whole show and is quite forgettable, even by third season bottle episode standards. I watched it less than six months ago and aside from the mute girl and the empty sets, I remember none of it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

remusclaw posted:

Understood. Just passing on some cool stuff I remember from what was likely some kind of derail. I have no where near any level of expertise on the matter and was parroting a Popular Science article. Will definitely look into that thread though. Thanks.

Buran had certain advantages and superior capabilities due to having been designed and built much later, having less ridiculous requirements loaded onto the design, and being able to look at the experience of the US shuttle program, but in other areas they still lagged behind US technology. Ultimately, though, none of it can make up for the fact that the giant reusable spaceplane as a concept was fundamentally flawed and ultimately a huge boondoggle, and Russia was just making their own copy as a reactionary move.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

8one6 posted:

I remember hearing that Syfy ran into serious issues trying to do BSG Blood and Chrome in all-greenscreen.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember hearing that Syfy ran into serious issues trying to do BSG Blood and Chrome in all-greenscreen.

It looked really bad. Everything was blurry as poo poo to hide the cheapness of it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Knormal posted:

I'm so happy to see McCoy's disco medallion crosses over into the real world too, albeit not as majestic.

Also Takei once again shows whether he's in the 1970s or the 23rd century, he will always be the best dressed. Tuck in that collar and you could wear that outfit today and look awesome. :colbert:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Tighclops posted:

I'm actually really glad they stuck to the original VFX where possible in TNG because as much as I would sometimes like to see the stock footage punched up a bit, I wouldn't want to lose the memorable VFX shots (like the escape from the dyson sphere, for example) to a CG Enterprise D doing barrel rolls or whatever the gently caress they'd make her do now if they could

MrJacobs posted:

Why would the Enterprise have done barrel rolls?
I had to go back and find this series of posts because I finally got around to seeing Beyond again today, and in the final scene as the Enterprise is warping off into space, it does a barrel roll.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Astroman posted:

Also Takei once again shows whether he's in the 1970s or the 23rd century, he will always be the best dressed. Tuck in that collar and you could wear that outfit today and look awesome. :colbert:

I just noticed something I'd never seen in that photo before; bearded James Doohan wearing what appears to be a Hawaiian shirt. :stare:

ed: holy poo poo, it is. I'd love to see this in color

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 18, 2016

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This is how Discovery will be an anthology show; the cast of each episode will be supplimented by the promoted band, so one week has the Weeknd as a mysterious alien foe, and the next week has Imagine Dragons as the away team.

And the season finale will be driven by the machinations of Commodore William Broad, played by Billy Idol :v:

I would watch this show.

Zurui posted:

No, really, the CW makes successful genre shows with emotional resonance that people follow religiously. But no, let's have zero Star Trek because this guy says Arrow is bad.

I was totally into Arrow until it became Felicity And Also Arrow Sometimes I Guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Started Voyager on August 11th. I now have three episodes left.

Yikes.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Truly, its been a long road, getting from there to here...

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Yikes.

I'd give you grief for not pacing yourself, but this might be the best way to get through it. I was going pretty strong for the past year but around Fair Haven, I hit a wall. I skipped it and got as far as Borg kids (which not that bad, all things considered), but the problem is that once you've given yourself permission to skip the dumb and boring episodes, there's really no reason to watch Voyager at all.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rhyno posted:

Yikes.

If you are self-harming or experiencing suicidal thoughts, please seek immediate treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just noticed something I'd never seen in that photo before; bearded James Doohan wearing what appears to be a Hawaiian shirt. :stare:

ed: holy poo poo, it is. I'd love to see this in color

A color photo could not contain that level of 70s!