Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

I'm getting anxious to unlock job system because combat hasn't really changed in about 10 hours

i have some news about dragon quest combat over the past 3 decades OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

i have some news about dragon quest combat over the past 3 decades OP

Lol

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i finished the first island

i just got there (been playing about 2 hours)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love that the different islands are like mini DQ games.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I love that every island has a different goofy accent

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Agean90 posted:

I love that every island has a different goofy accent

Lol yeah. It reminds me of DQIV like that

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
since they changed from random encounters to monsters walking around i keep thinking about how that changes gameplay and that i dont like people who insist thats better

tho having them walking around makes the simple environments look nicer

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

elf help book posted:

since they changed from random encounters to monsters walking around i keep thinking about how that changes gameplay and that i dont like people who insist thats better

tho having them walking around makes the simple environments look nicer

Random encounters are good, in your estimation?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

mycophobia posted:

Random encounters are good, in your estimation?

they are different and shouldnt just be thrown out because its not "modern"

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

the fov is so drat small you end up walking into monsters every two steps in dungeons anyway so it's not that different than a normal dq game ahaha

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

they can hardly notice you so every fight is just some kids deciding to beat up some monsters minding their own business

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

they can hardly notice you so every fight is just some kids deciding to beat up some monsters minding their own business

My favorite is when the monsters get a surprise attack and go first and run away

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

My favorite is when the monsters get a surprise attack and go first and run away

they run away a lot in this

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

:negative:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

the fov is so drat small you end up walking into monsters every two steps in dungeons anyway so it's not that different than a normal dq game ahaha

it's weird how 9 handled this better

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I just got to Dixieland island, I just imagine everyone as sounding like fighting leghorn. Including the women

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

elf help book posted:

they run away a lot in this

ya like a third of the time they just run. it seems like it happens more often when you run into a big group too

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

it's weird how 9 handled this better

i never got very far in dq9, i should give it a whirl someday

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I keep running into monsters that appear out of thin air immediately in front of me... That basically is a random encounter imho.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Once maribel learned Bang the whole game done changed. It kills almost everything in one hit and hits all enemies.. Oh mama

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I really love how each island has its own dialect. This game has a lot of character

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Some days, there isn't anything in the world I like more than a lighthearted JRPG...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm determined to reach all trades abbey today. Currently on an island full of gypsies

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Have you figured out yet why the king is named Donald?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Action Jacktion posted:

because this game is just kingdom hearts and you need to unlock all the islands

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Action Jacktion posted:

Prince Kiefer. King Donald.

Sutherland.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finally had a party wipe, the last boss before job system is tough

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have saved Alltrades Abbey and the real journey has begun.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

how many islands in do you unlock the job system. i just finished French animal zone, how much longer?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It took me about 15 hours. You've got 2 or 3 more islands after French animals iirc.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

It took me about 15 hours. You've got 2 or 3 more islands after French animals iirc.

*3000 page megathread voice* we're halfway there!!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i just got to that animal island and i love the structure of this game, its fun to see the problems everyones having and solving them real quick

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

elf help book posted:

i just got to that animal island and i love the structure of this game, its fun to see the problems everyones having and solving them real quick

Me too. Normally I don't like this type of episodic story pacing but this game is just so charming I can't help but love it

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Getting to save the day at least once per play session warms my lil heart

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

rediscover posted:

Me too. Normally I don't like this type of episodic story pacing but this game is just so charming I can't help but love it

it helps that its never perfectly contained to an episode, you save an island and well i wanna see the present day version now guess i should keep playing. oh i got a new tablet there, may as well go put it in the slot. oh im on a new island again guess i should see what their problem is, etc

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

i beat the first island. very sad

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm intimidated by how long this game is

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I've never finished a JRPG in my life. this is going to be the one. I will beat it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i talked to a squirrel and he handed me a seed of magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i saved ballymolloy

• Locked thread