Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Kennel posted:

I wonder what kind of maps we'll use if we ever manage to spread around the Milky Way. A 2D-map doesn't sound very useful in real life.

2D maps will be serviceable enough to represent interesting points in the galaxy, if we manage to spread out

if a more 3D view of the galaxy become neccesary, you can render the galaxy has a 2D map, and render a grid with a plane, and lines from the plane to the position of stars. 3D games use that for "radar" in combat, and is useful enough to position dots in a 3D space.

a alternative would be to use color, the more blue more down in the z position, and the more red the more high in the z position. but stars already need to be classified by color, and the color of a star is very important, so that may class by this use.

is possible that by the time we need maps of the galaxy 2D pieces of paper are long gone, and we have avalable a convenient and cheap 3D rendering technology, so the problem of mapping the galaxy never present itself. We already have a number of technologies to render holograms, most of them have has bigger problem they don't make the image bright enough (so they work only if the room is dark). Is even possible that in the future we use swarm of drones the size of ants for holograms, making them fly to the position to act has voxels.

Edit:

\/ \/ \/

mcustic posted:

And that's how you fall straight into a black hole.

https://gfycat.com/UntidySpottedAdouri

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

lmao still using maps? We'll have Galactic Positioning System so we don't have to think.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

mcustic posted:

i remember when AppleGalaxy first came out to compete with Google and it was like telling people to go thru a wormhole that didn't even exist, or like siri would telepath you "burn prograde for 62.4 seconds" when there was a star just a few million km in front of you smdh

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Could you rotate this map 180 degrees and put it in Mercator projection?

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

TheWeepingHorse posted:

My Cantonese-speaking, NYC-living father-in-law says that local Cantonese-language slang calls the Kosciuszko Bridge "the Japanese Bridge", as a tongue-in-cheek way of getting around the unfamiliar spelling and pronunciation. The joke is that the name might sound Japanese-ish.

It could be that -ko (-子) is a very common suffix in Japanese female given names.

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I offer this:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Istanbul and Athens :stare:

I'm not surprised considering Athens is one of the most polluted cities and then the Erdogan park thing

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tei posted:

I offer this:

So this map is...purchasing power divided by the number of inhabitants divided by the number of km²? Hmm.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Ron Jeremy posted:

What's up with the little guys, especially those bordering or completely surrounded by large alliances? Do they act as clients?

Eve always seemed cool, but I could never get into it. I felt the same way about EQ and UA. I played the poo poo out of some trade wars 2002 though. stayed up late to get my turns in as soon as the server started then new day.

All the small dudes are either in larger coalition's or just relative peace with one another. War takes a lot of players effort so not everyone is murdering each other all the time.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Tei posted:

I offer this:

Extremely useful ih you're, say, Henkel or P&G aiming to launch a new detergent. Otherwise useless, I guess.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tei posted:

I offer this:

2 digit postcode areas is an interesting way to create roughly equivalent population divisions across multiple countries (since postal code assignment has to scale with it)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Eurostat often uses that, they usually know what they're doing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Orange Devil posted:

Could you rotate this map 180 degrees and put it in Mercator projection?

:effort:

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Ding ding ding! We have a winner in the most useless inset contest! In terms of extra information provided per map area used for insets, this has to be a world record. Can anyone find a map with larger insets that offer zero information?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Ding ding ding! We have a winner in the most useless inset contest! In terms of extra information provided per map area used for insets, this has to be a world record. Can anyone find a map with larger insets that offer zero information?

It's the standard Eurostat format.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

SurgicalOntologist posted:

This is really a missed opportunity to have the nested insets for the Azores at different scales.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Ras Het posted:

It's the standard Eurostat format.

:eng99:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ron Jeremy posted:

What's up with the little guys, especially those bordering or completely surrounded by large alliances? Do they act as clients?

Eve always seemed cool, but I could never get into it. I felt the same way about EQ and UA. I played the poo poo out of some trade wars 2002 though. stayed up late to get my turns in as soon as the server started then new day.
Depends.

Say, in this bit, the actual owner of the gray blob is the red blob, Legion of xXDEATHXx, who have just consolidated their tenants into a holding alliance (formally led by a Legion officer), for ease of management. Some of the small alliances are like that, some are friends/allies with neighbours. Some pay of course.

Often it's also things like say, inPanic - topmost right red blob on the screenshot above. They have a single normal way out of their domain, so they might as well be left there to train your own players on, should they not be paying/etc (no idea who they are, haven't played with xDeath, or EVE in general, in years).

Sometimes you'll just have a small alliance which is really good at winning fights, and just can't be arsed to fight wars. These can be a real bugger to weed out too. My second alliance was sort-of like that, and it took one of the largest alliances, back then, several weeks to weed the several dozens of us out.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why do all the Belgians hate their cities so much (apart from being full of Belgians)?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Why do all the Belgians hate their cities so much (apart from being full of Belgians)?

You're going to have to be more specific on that one

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Badger of Basra posted:

Cities have more people in them. People have hands and Belgians, being bloodthirsty monsters that are only vaguely human shaped by pure coincidence, all hate hands with a fiery passion and wish to chop them off and it offends them that so many hands can exist in one place.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'd also be really interested in seeing the same map but for tourists visiting a city (bonus points if you can get breakdowns by region/continent of origin). Madrid and Rome would go up a lot I would guess.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is this one of those irredentist maps?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Badger of Basra posted:

I'd also be really interested in seeing the same map but for tourists visiting a city (bonus points if you can get breakdowns by region/continent of origin). Madrid and Rome would go up a lot I would guess.

I wonder if Paris would actually go down, considering in Japan they have suicide hotlines dedicated specifically for tourists depressed by the disappointment of visiting it. Maybe it's similar in some other countries that heavily romanticize Paris only to find it to be an open sewer.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Politically loaded because the only governmental structure appears to be a functioning feudal castle in an otherwise modern small town, and there are no roads in or out.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

I wonder if Paris would actually go down, considering in Japan they have suicide hotlines dedicated specifically for tourists depressed by the disappointment of visiting it. Maybe it's similar in some other countries that heavily romanticize Paris only to find it to be an open sewer.

I don't even know where Paris especially gets this reputation from, Berlin smells 1000 times more like an open sewer than Paris.

Though having been to Japan where the streets in Tokyo are completely spotless yeah I get it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ah, the famous Bridge To Nowhere.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Powered Descent posted:

Ah, the famous Bridge To Nowhere.
It leads to a parking space. :911:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

There's only one bus stop in the whole town and it's about 50 feet away from the bus station. What moron designed this town? :rolleyes:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Guavanaut posted:

Politically loaded because the only governmental structure appears to be a functioning feudal castle in an otherwise modern small town, and there are no roads in or out.
Since when are hospitals not governmental structures?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Albino Squirrel posted:

Since when are hospitals not governmental structures?

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 18, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Maps of the HRE make my head hurt. Was there any sort of financial union at all in the HRE or did merchants have to pay tolls every five minutes after crossing a border?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

HorseRenoir posted:

Maps of the HRE make my head hurt. Was there any sort of financial union at all in the HRE or did merchants have to pay tolls every five minutes after crossing a border?

The latter, which is one of the reasons why Germany ended up finally unifying in the 19th century.

quote:

The splintering of territory and states over generations meant that by the 1790s in the German-speaking Holy Roman Empire in Central Europe, there were approximately 1800 customs barriers. Even within the Prussian state itself there were at the beginning of the 19th century over 67 local customs and tariffs with as many customs borders. To travel from Königsberg in East Prussia to Cologne, for example, a shipment was inspected and taxed 18 times. Each customs inspection at each border slowed the shipment's progress from source to destination and each assessment on the shipment reduced profit and increased the price of goods, dramatically stifling trade.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

It's beautiful.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Though it should be noted that this kind of thing wasn't unique to the HRE. France for example had internal customs barriers too, between the various provinces, until the revolution finally created a political force powerful enough to break the system. Which it was pretty keen to do, seeing as the revolution was all about overthrowing the aristocracy in favor of merchants and capitalists.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Internal toll roads lasted until 1843 in rural Wales, they mainly plagued farmers and travellers. They were abolished after mobs of locals seized the toll houses burnt the books that named those who refused to pay and smashed up the gates. This was event was called the Rebecca riots after a biblical allusion, but mainly because the locals would dress up in women's clothing to disguise themselves while smashing up the barriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Though it should be noted that this kind of thing wasn't unique to the HRE. France for example had internal customs barriers too, between the various provinces, until the revolution finally created a political force powerful enough to break the system. Which it was pretty keen to do, seeing as the revolution was all about overthrowing the aristocracy in favor of merchants and capitalists.

map of French internal customs barriers pre-revolution

and the 2012 presidential election map