Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Meowjesty posted:

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but your son is an NPC in a jrpg.

If you're lucky, he'll start giving you quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Just be glad he's not a main character, or you'd be dead by his tenth birthday.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Are you sure it's not Boi?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Mikedawson posted:

If that were a regular SA post, would you say the same thing?

Yes

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I now associate Clair de Lune 100% with the Car Boys title card.

Edit: I really love the art style. Is that the same artist who did the short that Polygon uploaded the other day? Louie Zong?

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 16, 2016

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
If that were a regular SA post it would be emptyquoted over the next page to make sure that the author couldn't edit it out.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I now associate Clair de Lune 100% with the Car Boys title card.

Edit: I really love the art style. Is that the same artist who did the short that Polygon uploaded the other day? Louie Zong?

The one and same!

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The Modern Leper posted:

If that were a regular SA post it would be emptyquoted over the next page to make sure that the author couldn't edit it out.

Why? What is wrong with comedy analysis?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
the average goon has a sense of comedy so evolved, that analyzing it is actually offensive :rolleye:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

No one has time to think about things, we're all too busy telling each other how to pronounce "nougat"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/marinscos/status/775807008700194816

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

it's amazing how well that works

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

In a similar vein:

https://twitter.com/hellspawnmotel/status/776636882495139840

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/marinscos/status/777261404919328768

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

This is one of my favorite bits.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mashing up MBMBaM with TAZ is so loving simple and brilliant and I'm upset that it hasn't existed until just right now. God drat.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I would (and do) pay good money if the next MBMBAM donor bonus is advice from the TAZ gang.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The Bureau of Balance takes on ORB, THE HORSE

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

MY DIAMONDS ARE LIKE MY CHILDREN :qq:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Mikedawson posted:

Why? What is wrong with comedy analysis?

Taking apart or explaining a joke is a hyperspace shortcut to ensuring that it is absolutely not funny anymore.

Also, breaking creative works down to component parts and categorizing them is awful on every level. I was trying to write a more specific sentence, so I looked at TVTropes briefly for research and just got angry and depressed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Boy is funny because it's affectionate and you don't get a lot of affection in comedy anymore.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Also it's a diminutive, so calling an adult man who eats a lot of spaghetti a "good good pasta boy" is funny because it sounds like he's a child.

Also, boy is a gender/age neutral term IMO.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I want so many more of these sweet little mashup boys in my life.

Specifically I hope and pray for one for the gom jabbar bit.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ALFbrot posted:

Taking apart or explaining a joke is a hyperspace shortcut to ensuring that it is absolutely not funny anymore.

Also, breaking creative works down to component parts and categorizing them is awful on every level. I was trying to write a more specific sentence, so I looked at TVTropes briefly for research and just got angry and depressed.

Nah. Sketch and long form improv is all about structure, "the game, and components. Its the entire point of the ucb and other institutions of its ilk.

The problem in explaining jokes is you can't explain the alchemy of why a thing is funny. You can show the components and the formula, but it doesn't explain the reaction.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGP4Ckx9mxs

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

PBS Newshour posted:

Nah. Sketch and long form improv is all about structure, "the game, and components. Its the entire point of the ucb and other institutions of its ilk.

The problem in explaining jokes is you can't explain the alchemy of why a thing is funny. You can show the components and the formula, but it doesn't explain the reaction.

The problem in explaining jokes is that you sound like a turd that got vacuumed back inside of a butthole and you murder comedy and nobody likes you

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

ALFbrot posted:

The problem in explaining jokes is that you sound like a turd that got vacuumed back inside of a butthole and you murder comedy and nobody likes you

This is the answer I was waiting for.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

As Mr Clemens said examining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You learn a lot but in the process you kill it.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I can't really get on board with the idea that comedy, unlike every other art form ever, is too sacred and delicate to ever analyze or examine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

showbiz_liz posted:

I can't really get on board with the idea that comedy, unlike every other art form ever, is too sacred and delicate to ever analyze or examine.

It's just not funny to do so.

Just like how horror isn't horrific when analysed, drama isn't dramatic when analysed and tragedy isn't tragic when analysed.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Just don't deconstruct jokes right after someone tells one at a party and you'll be fine

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Travis343 posted:

As Mr Clemens said examining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You learn a lot but in the process you kill it.

You cut the joke in twain, even.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I like spacetwinks lots and have read plenty of good comedy and comics analyses on their twitter. Given that, I gotta say that boy one didn't do it for me, probably because calling things "___ boy(s)" is more of a funny tic than a layered joke. I'm normally loathe to accuse someone of overanalyzing but I think that's the case here.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's just not funny to do so.

Just like how horror isn't horrific when analysed, drama isn't dramatic when analysed and tragedy isn't tragic when analysed.

Yeah seriously its just this.

People are weird about jokes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

showbiz_liz posted:

Considering that there isn't even an acceptable definiton of what comedy is or why people find things funny, trying to analyze and explain comedy is just the worst kind of :jerkbag: and contributes absolutely nothing to the discussion.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Guy Mann posted:

Considering that there isn't even an acceptable definiton of what comedy is

It's the Art of the Haha you dingus!

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Guy Mann posted:

Considering that there isn't even an acceptable definiton of what comedy is or why people find things funny, trying to analyze and explain comedy is just the worst kind of :jerkbag: and contributes absolutely nothing to the discussion.

People who insist comedy is some truly unknowable mystery of life that should never be discussed and get pissy at anyone who does are really as annoying as the ones who do bad deconstructions of jokes.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

If you took it as true that there "isn't even an acceptable definition of what comedy is or why people find things funny" then wouldn't attempting to find such a definition by trying to analyze and explain comedy be a potentially incredibly rewarding exercise?

Really though, professional comedians and comedy writers spend shitloads of time analyzing comedy to figure out why things are funny. Comedy isn't the black arts, it can in fact be explained and discussed. Doing so isn't funny, but that doesn't mean it's a worthless thing to do.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxwW5d9MP9A