Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ElMaligno posted:

Please don't kinkshame my choice of being an idiot and staying in the military until I retire.

All my friends who went Coast Guard seem much happier than the rest of us who went other services. In fact, good buddy of mine went from 6 years in the Marines to the CG and he is absolutely in love with it. I honestly don't blame anyone for being happy with their job,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Booblord Zagats posted:

All my friends who went Coast Guard seem much happier than the rest of us who went other services. In fact, good buddy of mine went from 6 years in the Marines to the CG and he is absolutely in love with it. I honestly don't blame anyone for being happy with their job,

I know people who hate the coast guard and got out as soon as they could, most of it has to do with enlisted as gently caress things, command climate being poo poo and the chain of command being utter poo poo.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

ElMaligno posted:

I know people who hate the coast guard and got out as soon as they could, most of it has to do with enlisted as gently caress things, command climate being poo poo and the chain of command being utter poo poo.

I remember being totally shocked at the freedom a Norwegian CG cutter enjoys. Apart from "patrol in this sector, be visible" a whole lot is left to the discretion of the captain. Like where to go and what to do. He feels like inspecting some fishing boats one day that's what happens. The next day maybe hunt smugglers.

It makes sense ofc, it'd be stupid to have someone sitting somewhere on land deciding what every individual cutter should be doing, but that's never stopped the military before.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
One of the big downsides of instant communication is the utter lack of decentralized execution and local C2/command authority

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I'm 30, and it sounded like a bunch of idiots trying to look tough infront of recruits, which checks against the "bootcamp shore duty" expectations list.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Ron Jeremy posted:

I don't that's been true since the draft ended.

Listen to anyone who wants to to tell you how hard their boot/basic was and apparently everyone but yours had it tougher.

I heard stories of people getting this poo poo beat out of them, while I was in basic from a dude who just pinned E5 at 3 years in.

Basically it probably never happened to a significant degree, and if it did it was probably an isolated incident and someone got in trouble for it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Ron Jeremy posted:

How old are you? I don't that's been true since the draft ended.

Had two DS taken off the trail because they couldn't stop hitting privates. Poor dude had PTSD, even came back without his brown round and told the dudes one on one like a joe not an NCO and explained that his head was mushy. He was a good one but man, I remember him wiggling the gently caress out on someone cause he kept looking at the passing choppers and he grabbed dudes face like 'chubby cheeks' except a lot harder and grandma doesn't kiss you at the end.

Wasn't allowed sure. Did it change much? Meh. I've seen maybe 1 wall to wall counseling? And the mother fucker deserved it. Did it change him? gently caress no, felt good to watch him get lit the gently caress up though.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
When I did boot in 94 I heard the same bullshit story about 'they would beat us in bootcamp in my day!' The senior CC was an e-6 with 12 in. I doubt any real beating took place past the late 60s.

edit : 94 not 93!

ded fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 17, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They didn't let me take a second dessert in boot.

That was a beating on my soul.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

When I was in boot camp they didn't let me fish, but let me tell you, my DI was thiiiiiiiiiiiis abusive.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
When I was in boot camp, they'd yell at you really good if you had a laundry tag in the pocket of your BDU. And if you didn't get a nice hospital corner on the bed or fold your socks really good, they'd mess it up and you had to do it again. Like they'd literally pick up your stack of socks and throw them on your bed and everything. And then when we had to do duties outside our room, like KP and stuff, the place I worked at had a vending and soda machine, and then didn't bother to tell us about it, so we didn't bring as much money as we normally would have. But the second time I had duty there, I knew better. But both times while there was cable tv, it was daytime tv so that kind of sucked since there wasn't much on.

Pretty sure the Air Force boot camp in the 90s was the most hardcore of boot camps for any service at any time in history.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

When I was in basic, we asked staff for help and they gave it without complaint :ohdear:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
When I was in boot camp oh wait I went officer lol@u chumps nobles rule.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
When I was in boot camp the company commander would yell at us from the downstairs CC lounge over the speakers "ATTITUDE CHECK!!" We would yell back "gently caress YOU".

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

One of our Drill sergeants got pulled off of duty because he grabbed the collar of a recruits flak jacket and yelled in his face to "sound the gently caress off" and kind of shook him a bit, and then called him a "pussy rear end human being." At least that's what I'm assuming. That was one of the pivotal things that happened one day during week 4 and that evening we never saw him again.

I remember waiting for one of those white busses to take us to a bivuac two of our platoon drill sergeants talking smack about how the dude left half of his brain in Iraq..

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 17, 2016

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Stultus Maximus posted:

When I was in boot camp oh wait I went officer lol@u chumps nobles rule.

Us OCS bros had to go through basic

Dumbest thing I saw and will always remember is the aftermath of a drill sergeant deciding that it's reasonable to stack 75 recruits into the bed of a stake bed pickup like sardines and then rolling the truck while turning back into the BN area. Truck on its side and bleeding privates laid out all over. They had been in basic for 2 weeks and now a quarter of their company was on profile with broken bones, a couple broken backs and some severed fingers. One of them said his skull would have been crushed for sure from the weight of that many bodies laying on top of him but he was wearing his ACH. You could still see the blood stain in the parking lot a couple weeks later when I graduated.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

Us OCS bros had to go through basic

Dumbest thing I saw and will always remember is the aftermath of a drill sergeant deciding that it's reasonable to stack 75 recruits into the bed of a stake bed pickup like sardines and then rolling the truck while turning back into the BN area. Truck on its side and bleeding privates laid out all over. They had been in basic for 2 weeks and now a quarter of their company was on profile with broken bones, a couple broken backs and some severed fingers. One of them said his skull would have been crushed for sure from the weight of that many bodies laying on top of him but he was wearing his ACH. You could still see the blood stain in the parking lot a couple weeks later when I graduated.

He went to jail right?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

That's just good training right there. Army Strong hooah?

Besides after week 2 you should have gone through your first aid class, so if anything it's just a review of education from what you learned the week before..

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I have no idea what happened to him other than that he was immediately relieved of being a DS. Some articles mention that it was a bus that rolled over because of the huge amount of trainees involved (a bus supposed to only have 40ish people anyway, not 75) It wasn't. It was a god damned stake bed pickup truck. The DS was lazy and didn't want to make multiple trips taking dudes to church so he packed them all in. The drive itself was maybe like a mile tops. The only reason they weren't able to march there is because in red phase you aren't allowed to without a DS and no DS wants to march people to church.

Happened on Sand Hill at Benning.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Reverand maynard posted:

He went to jail right?

The guy wearing his ACH against orders? Sure.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The guy wearing his ACH against orders? Sure.

Niiiiice

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Cenen posted:

Sweet Jesus loving Christ I just managed to talk one of our more naive Airmen out of taking a TCN deployment. Having to explain how hard someone jus tried to gently caress her over was rough. Totes Killed the just got off work and few beers in buzz I had going having those memories of some drunken illiterate ethnic try and pretend he was my equal and swinging a rusty piece of rebar at him thrown back at me. That and remembering how many people got raped and sex assualted by reservists in a 6 month period.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2015/10/deployed-airman-struggles-balance-work-education-relaxation-time/

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

not caring here posted:

Basically it probably never happened to a significant degree, and if it did it was probably an isolated incident and someone got in trouble for it.

Trotting my story out, didn't get my rear end kicked but my RDC slapped me in the hallway as I was walking out of the berthing/compartment. I was kind of 'wtf' about it because it was totally unexpected and not done as a punishment, I think he was just being an rear end and it went a bit farther than he intended. He and the other RDC got their ropes pulled and they got sent back to whatever training they get because the next division they got they got even more physically abusive and got reported or whatever. So yeah I guess that poo poo doesn't fly if you are willing to speak up.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I hear guys under 30 talking about how much softer the service, ascension training, etc. are now, especially citing younger kids as being soft. They theme seems to be they get in trouble if they verbally berate people and call them faggots for no reason, not that they are physically weaker or incapable of handling the work. Nice to know that a shift to talking to people with some degree of decency instead of taking out aggression based on their many shortcomings as human beings on some random kid is viewed as "soft"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
This all sounds vaguely familiar.
So basically the military is Old/New GBS?

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

LingcodKilla posted:

I recall talking to a bootcamp doctor who was a prior sailor and he mentioned during the Vietnam era slapping was ok but not actual punching or kicking.

On one hand, in 2006 we got to sleep 8 hours/night during the Crucible, as well as fresh fruit in addition to our daily MRE. On the other hand, throughout those three months, I was slapped, punched (albeit lightly), kicked dress shoe to the shin once, choke slammed once, and drop kicked once, and regularly saw similar things happen to others. The worst I saw was when the DIs looked the other way while one recruit was tortured by a group of others for what seemed like a couple of hours, until he was injured badly enough to be medically separated later that week (third phase, too). Dude was borderline retarded, which was the reason for both the torture and everyone getting away with it.
This is hardly comprehensive, saw lots of other atrocious poo poo too. I think this sort of thing mostly varies by command climate du jour and platoon size (possibly more mob mentality in larger ones, also more idiots in the mix when quotas go up and standards go down). One of the DIs involved was court martialed for other recruit abuse later on, including a kick to the shin similar to mine:
http://articles.latimes.com/2007/sep/11/local/me-recruit11

new friend from school fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 18, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Worst thing I saw (1997, Australian Army) was a recruit who was blackout drunk the night before getting his bed tipped over from the top when he wouldn't answer the wake up call. He broke his collarbone. There was some talk of an investigation but it turns out that was unofficial SOP for recruits who don't wake up, but that you should maybe just tip them out on their side.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Worst I saw was the MTI flip a recruits bed and then his locker.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

CommieGIR posted:

Worst I saw was the MTI flip a recruits bed and then his locker.

I saw one sneak in, look at us, give us the "shhh" sign, and pick up one of the beds with no top bunk. He straight up lifted it at the head and the kid in bed just fell out and landed on his feet. It was p funny.

Well that's my story thanks for listening

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Never saw anything dangerous, just dickish. TI made us watch him scream at some kid who'd just graduated for half an hour because they weren't an honor flight. It's not all that hard to see why some of these idiots get a god complex and decide to dump a bunch of undiluted bleach on the floor, put a recruit in a dryer, or just plain start raping trainees.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Not sure if this was shared: latest case of marine recruit hazing/abusing.

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/community/beaufort-news/bg-military/article101368542.html

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It's absolutely SHOCKING that one of the biggest issues that the Corps identified during the gender integration studies was a lack of professionalism in the NCO corps.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Zeris fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 22, 2016

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Let's talk about dumb .mil tats for a second

Im assuming the text is mirrored because of how he took the picture, but who knows maybe he actually got it written backwards.

The first word is just the noun "curse". It's the same word the Houthis have on their flag for the part that says "a curse on the Jews".

The second word is a weird phonetic spelling of Isis. It is 100% not DAESH.

Internet Wizard fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 18, 2016

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

So pretty much reads: curse eye sis??

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

More like "Dang, Isis"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Internet Wizard posted:

More like "Dang, Isis"

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

Internet Wizard posted:

More like "Dang, Isis"

GiP mouseover text right there.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

maffew buildings posted:

I hear guys under 30 talking about how much softer the service, ascension training, etc. are now, especially citing younger kids as being soft. They theme seems to be they get in trouble if they verbally berate people and call them faggots for no reason, not that they are physically weaker or incapable of handling the work. Nice to know that a shift to talking to people with some degree of decency instead of taking out aggression based on their many shortcomings as human beings on some random kid is viewed as "soft"

It's nice to know that when a soldier in boot camp is called a name, he has a safe place with people to talk about it because he needs help dealing with such an emotional issue. What sort of resources for counseling does little Johnny have when he's captured by the enemy and one of them calls him a human being?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iKon posted:

GiP mouseover text right there.

That's pretty good, actually.