Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
If any of you have coveted my possessions. Now is your chance. Reddit interloper whose SA name I can't remember got his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

AmbientParadox posted:

I have no intention of getting on a plane again until I leave Korea.

That's fine, there's still like a five hour ferry that departs just a 3 hour train ride from Seoul.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Yeah there's always the ferry. I have a friend who has visited several times for long periods and he always comes by that route.

The Magpie brewery taproom is open Saturday Sunday 12-8PM and those days it has tours at 1, 3, and 5PM. Have to email ahead to make a reservation for an English tour, though. But even aside from the tour it is a really nice place to spend a quiet afternoon.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Why did the weather turn nice once I'm leaving Korea for good. Would rather leave saying... gently caress it!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

If any of you have coveted my possessions. Now is your chance. Reddit interloper whose SA name I can't remember got his.

I covet your culinary skills, give me your head

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hehe, that sounds like give me head :smug:

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

DontAskKant posted:

Why did the weather turn nice once I'm leaving Korea for good. Would rather leave saying... gently caress it!
I anticipate a lot of things improving once you leave heh heh heh

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015

DontAskKant posted:

The country wanted to deprive you of satisfaction one last time.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

Afraid to even imagine your version of USA.
Wait, I think it was depicted in Stranger Things.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Hello thread, I arrived in Seoul two days ago and been to Daiso several times already, when can I change my H-1 to a permanent residency visa?
Also I have a question regarding the job search: I applied for something and never received a response but the dude I sent my resume to added me on Facebook. No email back, just Facebook request. Is this going to be a commonplace event or is this dude just an anomalous weirdo? I understand that the job search is going to be very different than America because of the culture norms here, but still something felt very off. I put my Facebook on lockdown afterwards.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Weirdo. Also Daiso doesnt count because its dirty japanese

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

district 12 posted:

Hello thread, I arrived in Seoul two days ago and been to Daiso several times already, when can I change my H-1 to a permanent residency imperial dog visa?

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
I welcome my 1000₩ overlords

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

district 12 posted:

Hello thread, I arrived in Seoul two days ago and been to Daiso several times already, when can I change my H-1 to a permanent residency visa?
Also I have a question regarding the job search: I applied for something and never received a response but the dude I sent my resume to added me on Facebook. No email back, just Facebook request. Is this going to be a commonplace event or is this dude just an anomalous weirdo? I understand that the job search is going to be very different than America because of the culture norms here, but still something felt very off. I put my Facebook on lockdown afterwards.

That residency visa question is a can of worms for Korea, and you're not giving us much to fish with.

As for the job search, a number of goons made the switch from teaching to ~anything else~ in the past year or so. From what they've told me, it was mostly through contacting the companies and job postings. As for the facebook friend'ing, idk. I've had that once or twice.

Also get on kakao

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

district 12 posted:

He's checking to see if you have party pictures because

1) his academy sucks and he wants a good drinking partner

Or

2) his academy sucks because of straight lace assholes like him who don't drink

Solution: delete your facebook

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Deleted my Facebook in like 2009 (or at least as far as they'll let you "delete" it), so I wonder how many of the job applications I've sent over the years were ignored or denied because they couldn't find a Facebook account for me.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

AmbientParadox posted:

That residency visa question is a can of worms for Korea, and you're not giving us much to fish with.

It was a joke!!! I should probably find a job and getting better at Korean before I worry about any other visa!

I have Kakao and I just got a Korean phone number, so I think I'm okay but for the language hurdle I have to jump over. I'm trying to sign up for KIIP so I don't have to eat into my savings for a KLI but Socinet hates Mac so I'm pretty much screwed on that one.

Also just so everyone knows, H-1 visa means no teaching English, so no academy work for me. Probably for the best; I'd be a nightmare as a teacher.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

oh, boy, are you in for a fun ride

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
I am looking forward to being unable to do anything. I like a challenge.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's okay it's not like Korean websites work at all for anyone ever, anyway. They just don't work even harder on Macs.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Grand Fromage posted:

It's okay it's not like Korean websites work at all for anyone ever, anyway. They just don't work even harder on Macs.

Shut up. I finally got my payment for the iphone 4 to get through. Sounds likes you don't internet explorer 4 properly.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Are the ajummas in Jongmyo Park any good for the Bacchus? :allears:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Going to be dumping so much 15% makgeolli tomorrow. 5 liters? Too much work to donate anything aside from clothes.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

Going to be dumping so much 15% makgeolli tomorrow. 5 liters? Too much work to donate anything aside from clothes.

Goonspeed sweet prince~

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Quick question, and I know no one can answer 100% but I just want a general feel for what I should do. I had a job interview on Monday, got offer Tuesday afternoon, just before the holiday. I had a few questions before I accepted and so I sent those back. Got answer late Wednesday and couldn't reply until Thursday. They asked me to start Monday, 8:50am. I asked to start a week later so I have time to get my ARC in order and get a bank account so I can get my salary, etc. No reply yet. Am I supposed to go in on Monday or do I wait until they reply? Technically they haven't confirmed my acceptance so... I am confused. I would feel just as confused in America but I really don't know the procedure/culture here.

It's a startup, if that matters.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

If I were you, and I didn't get a reply before hand, I'd show up Monday, explain the situation in person. Shows you're serious and not trying to jerk them around.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I made a thing that will probably only make sense to public school teachers.

I don't know if they inflict this poo poo on hagwon people.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

nullscan posted:

If I were you, and I didn't get a reply before hand, I'd show up Monday, explain the situation in person. Shows you're serious and not trying to jerk them around.

Yeah, that's a good point. I feel very Out Of Place right now! I hope it gets easier, but I think I did well finding a non-teaching job only two weeks in. Now if I can just keep from screwing up, I'll be golden.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My flight to Korea is in a week and I am going to lose my mind trying to get everything into two suitcases. :argh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Everybody packs too much. Be selective. Most things you can buy in Korea. Clothing/shoes if you are larger than tiny Asian sizes is a good idea. Electronics are cheaper outside Korea so bring all those. Exotic spices if you cook. There's not much else you really need to bring. Basic toiletries are good just because it's annoying to try to have to find all that poo poo your first day in a new place. Accept the Kindle into your life if you haven't already, physical books are great and lovely but not if you're hauling a box of them across an ocean.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

Everybody packs too much. Be selective. Most things you can buy in Korea. Clothing/shoes if you are larger than tiny Asian sizes is a good idea. Electronics are cheaper outside Korea so bring all those. Exotic spices if you cook. There's not much else you really need to bring. Basic toiletries are good just because it's annoying to try to have to find all that poo poo your first day in a new place. Accept the Kindle into your life if you haven't already, physical books are great and lovely but not if you're hauling a box of them across an ocean.

Yeah I'm bigger than Koreans by a bit so its mostly clothes, and shoes. I have some novelty glasses etc. that I'd like to keep but I may just send them to my parents to hold onto. Kindles are amazing, so much so I have both a Fire HD and a older paperwhite. Not to mention random computer parts/cables I want to keep.

Edit - I have an AP Stylebook from college. Is that worth bringing or nah?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 20, 2016

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You can still find your weird shoe sizes in Itaewon. Still wearing the sneakers I got there. If your shoes are larger than a Korean 305, welp

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

Edit - I have an AP Stylebook from college. Is that worth bringing or nah?

Are you working for a newspaper? If yes, get your account online and a copy of the new one. Old AP Stylebooks are useless in my opinion. At the Korea Times we have one from 1998. Bring or buy a new one if you're going to be writing, 2016 came out in July.

Also make use of reshippers from the US if you need something from a US online site. Cheap and fast shipping. I use ship2korea because I don't have to do customs stuff in Korean with him.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DontAskKant posted:

Are you working for a newspaper? If yes, get your account online and a copy of the new one. Old AP Stylebooks are useless in my opinion. At the Korea Times we have one from 1998. Bring or buy a new one if you're going to be writing, 2016 came out in July.

Also make use of reshippers from the US if you need something from a US online site. Cheap and fast shipping. I use ship2korea because I don't have to do customs stuff in Korean with him.

Nah, nothing like that. Just had it laying around and figured "why not."

Edit - Everytime I pack up the suitcases I realize I still have other stuff to throw in I forgot about. gently caress me.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 21, 2016

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Unless you are a super mutant, like a couple people, I think clothing is pretty easy to find.
Hell, almost every Korean guy I know is as tall or taller than I am, at 6'.
2 of them were 12 year olds.

Also lol a fukken AP stylebook?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If you are coming as a teacher then the style book is worthless. None of your students will approach that level of english.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Gildiss posted:

Unless you are a super mutant, like a couple people, I think clothing is pretty easy to find.

now me sad

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I think Uniqlo Korea is even adding XLT, 2X, and 3X for you super mutants

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Having just made that move, I can tell you that you will overpack by a lot no matter how little you think you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Maxsmart posted:

I think Uniqlo Korea is even adding XLT, 2X, and 3X for you super mutants

Their stores almost always have some 2XL. Or you just buy from their online store.

to the other guy with packing woes, imo just ship your HD and maybe some good parts. the rest you can just buy here. You could simply order the parts from Danawa, or buy someone else's used tower + monitor.