Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Iggore posted:

On the topic of Calais, poo poo seems to be getting wild. Truckers are now ambushed on a daily basis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPFTAHXnO04

Though it might be as bad as they describe, it is reported by Russia Today, well known poo poo peddlers that nowadays always walks in lockstep with the Kremlin approved narrative. And Russia has a current policy of supporting European far right groups (like Front National etc.) to sow internal division in the EU.

Russia Today don't always outright lie, but they have a very selected representation of events to hammer home whatever narrative Russia wants to push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Being propaganda doesn't necessarily mean it's false. No doubt it's spun to suit RT's agenda, but there's some clear footage of mobs attacking trucks with rocks and sticks. Unless they faked the videos/gps logs way better than the Ukrainian stuff, seems pretty legit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPFTAHXnO04&t=35s

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.936938,1.9561238,3a,75y,283.93h,80.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGssty0w0I_GLSMDxH-8Xsg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 18, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Sticks and stones may scratch my truck, but Putin will never hurt me.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Iggore posted:

On the topic of Calais, poo poo seems to be getting wild. Truckers are now ambushed on a daily basis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPFTAHXnO04

mobby_6kl posted:

Being propaganda doesn't necessarily mean it's false. No doubt it's spun to suit RT's agenda, but there's some clear footage of mobs attacking trucks with rocks and sticks. Unless they faked the videos/gps logs way better than the Ukrainian stuff, seems pretty legit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPFTAHXnO04&t=35s

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.936938,1.9561238,3a,75y,283.93h,80.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGssty0w0I_GLSMDxH-8Xsg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Yes there are vids of those guys somewhat dangerously throwing foliage on the road to slow down truckers enough to get onboard, I don't think they fake that etc. What I won't trust is the frequency of those events and I will keep being sceptic until some more reliable news report on it.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I dont get why france doesnt do something about the problems at calais. The way things are going its obviously going to get really bad, like a trucker attacking the migrants or the other way around, and make the authorities look useless. Really bewildering.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I dont get why france doesnt do something about the problems at calais. The way things are going its obviously going to get really bad, like a trucker attacking the migrants or the other way around, and make the authorities look useless. Really bewildering.

What would you want them to do?

They've started relocating some of the migrants to other camps in France, a few weeks ago I think, don't think many are interested.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Hollande's satsifaction ratings over time: a tragedy in two lines
Blue = satisfied, red = dissatisfied

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Authorities are useless, because useful authorities require a certain amount of personnel, and this means jobs paid by taxpayers, and the national discourse in French like elsewhere has been that such jobs are evil and must be eliminated in all circumstances.

Everyone complains that il y a trop de fonctionnaires and then there's a terrorist attack that kills a hundred people and they whine "the terrorists were S-filed! Why didn't the police watch over them? By the way there are too many policemen, we should fire 90% of them." France is the slow suicide of a country that has decided it should no longer function.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Ghastly Terrorist Attacks: A Silver Lining by François Hollande.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Didn't work for the third one.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Zudgemud posted:

Yes there are vids of those guys somewhat dangerously throwing foliage on the road to slow down truckers enough to get onboard, I don't think they fake that etc. What I won't trust is the frequency of those events and I will keep being sceptic until some more reliable news report on it.

If these scenes to you look somewhat dangerous, I wonder what it would take to escalate to just dangerous.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Berlin elections:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/777538300815040513

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/777537825797472256

e: the East/West Berlin split is much stronger than I'd have expected - die Linke got 11.5% in the West and 26% in the East (where they had the highest vote share of any party), while the CDU got 21% and 13.5%:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/777540139459416068

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 18, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

why is he so unpopular again?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

I think that's his resting popularity.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

icantfindaname posted:

One part of that is that he has about as much charisma as the funky mold growing in the back of your fridge behind that tupperwared soup that's been there for months and that you don't dare to touch anymore.

Another part is that he's been busy breaking his campaign promises and showing a complete spinelessness in all things except for when it's time to crush workers' rights.

And the last part is that the French always hate their presidents. There's a "state of grace" of about 100 days, give or take, where people go "yay the new president is not the last, I loving hated the last" but after that normality resumes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

One part of that is that he has about as much charisma as the funky mold growing in the back of your fridge behind that tupperwared soup that's been there for months and that you don't dare to touch anymore.
Due to the nonchalant way you described this, I now assume all French people have no idea how to keep their fridge clean.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It doesn't help the president has a hairdresser that costs 10k a month.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
presidents live like kings, it's not really new.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

presidents live like kings, it's not really new.

Yeah, but he doesn't even have any hair. That's a totally new level of decadence.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

waitwhatno posted:

Yeah, but he doesn't even have any hair. That's a totally new level of decadence.

François Hollande does have hair! Our next president Alain Juppé doesn't however, and you can't imagine how much it will cost in chamois skins to keep that cranium shiny.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A good reason not to vote Le Pen; hairdressers for women are always twice as expensive as those for men.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

waitwhatno posted:

he bald

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Flowers For Algeria posted:

François Hollande does have hair! Our next president Alain Juppé doesn't however

Not on his head...

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

I think all the presidents of the 5th republic went under 30% at one point or another.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Berlin elections:
e: the East/West Berlin split is much stronger than I'd have expected - die Linke got 11.5% in the West and 26% in the East (where they had the highest vote share of any party), while the CDU got 21% and 13.5%:

The AfD also got 50% more votes in the East (17% compared to 12,1%) than in the West. Apparently, people who got civil thinking bludgeoned out of them for 40 years are traumatized and will vote for lovely populist parties like the Linke and the AfD if they promise to soothe their psychological pain with a primitive "us poor slobs vs. the man" narrative. It is really sad. The East is lost for another generation to left and right Pied Pipers.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

There are districts in the East where 50+% of votes went to Linke and AfD, which is loving horrifying. They probably just straight up eat Wessis and Journalists there. Get off the BVG, vanish without a trace. Marzahn-Hellersdorf is one of the most hosed up places I've been to in this gay republic. Just hordes of inbred-looking people with terminal cases of resting bitch face among Stalin meets Mordor style architecture. I was passing out leaflets for the local Wahlkreiskandidat and a dude gruffly told me that he "couldn't read" ("gannich lesn"). I was shocked and saddened at this until the next six people also said it and I realized that this was in fact the local charm and wit on display. The only thing that's stopping those people from collectively killing themselves is spite I'm pretty sure. I realize that I'm supposed to feel sorry for them but I loving can't.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
What's wrong with die Linke? (I have no idea about non-CDU German politics and am basically fishing for a Deutsche Politik effortpost, no GaussianCopula though plz)

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Get off the Marzahn-Hellersdorf is one of the most hosed up places I've been to in this gay republic. Just hordes of inbred-looking people with terminal cases of resting bitch face among Stalin meets Mordor style architecture. I was passing out leaflets for the local Wahlkreiskandidat and a dude gruffly told me that he "couldn't read" ("gannich lesn").

FWIW, I supported Kastschajew.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Pizdec posted:

What's wrong with die Linke? (I have no idea about non-CDU German politics and am basically fishing for a Deutsche Politik effortpost, no GaussianCopula though plz)

They are the rebranded SED of the GDR and their "the system is rotten" populism laid the groundwork for the AfD and other Fringers.Voting Linke in Germany is like voting Phalangist Party in Spain. Hardcore retarded.

Iggore
May 6, 2009
http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2016/09/19/97001-20160919FILWWW00168-merkel-admet-une-impreparation-dans-l-accueil-des-refugies.php

quote:

Angela Merkel a assumé lundi sa part de responsabilité dans l'échec de son parti, la CDU, aux élections régionales à Berlin et a admis que son gouvernement avait été insuffisamment préparé à l'accueil des réfugiés décidé il y a un an.

Merkel admits her government wasn't prepared to manage the refugee influx when she welcomed them in 2015. It's a shame she only admits it after an electoral bruise.

As with the Calais jungle, it isn't an indictment of the presence of the refugees and migrants, which would be foolish to entertain, but rather a glaring failure of public policy that is difficult to understand. I live on the other side of the Atlantic and I can't imagine how the public wouldn't respond if something similar happened. It is true that Canada only toke 25 000 (and the U.S.A an even lower per capita ratio), but at least they'll likely have a higher rate of successful integration and at a much lower social cost at that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Iggore posted:

As with the Calais jungle, it isn't an indictment of the presence of the refugees and migrants, which would be foolish to entertain, but rather a glaring failure of public policy that is difficult to understand.

Quick history: once there was an actual refugee camp. One with proper installations and all. It was at Sangatte. Nicolas Sarkozy, in one of his countless fart-brained populist moves, decided to close it. "Look! Me am making GBS threads all over furriners! Me am worse than Le Pen! Vote for me instead of vote for Le Pen", he'd then famously say. Anyway, there were still just enough respect for the rule of law in the police force at the time that the refugees in the Sangatte camp were not all slaughtered, so it turns out that closing the camp did not actually solve the problem of having a bunch of refugees around. Who would have guessed it? The refugees turned out to create their own, parallel, illegal camp: the Calais jungle was born.

In short, Sarkozy sucks.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Quick history: once there was an actual refugee camp. One with proper installations and all. It was at Sangatte. Nicolas Sarkozy, in one of his countless fart-brained populist moves, decided to close it. "Look! Me am making GBS threads all over furriners! Me am worse than Le Pen! Vote for me instead of vote for Le Pen", he'd then famously say. Anyway, there were still just enough respect for the rule of law in the police force at the time that the refugees in the Sangatte camp were not all slaughtered, so it turns out that closing the camp did not actually solve the problem of having a bunch of refugees around. Who would have guessed it? The refugees turned out to create their own, parallel, illegal camp: the Calais jungle was born.

In short, Sarkozy sucks.
Wait, how exactly did he do that after losing the presidential seat? Or is this sarcasm? I can't tell.

edit -

Iggore posted:

Canada only toke 25 000 (and the U.S.A an even lower per capita ratio)
Nice Freudian slip there. :rznv:

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 20, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pizdec posted:

Wait, how exactly did he do that after losing the presidential seat? Or is this sarcasm? I can't tell.
Sarkozy actually closed the Sangatte camp in 2002 when he was Chirac's Minister of interior. Illegal camps have been growing up in nord pas calais since then. But most of his Sarkozy ranting is pretty spot on.

Flashback time:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2002/dec/02/immigrationpolicy.immigration

quote:

Britain will accept up to 1,200 asylum seekers from the Sangatte camp in northern France when it finally closes on December 30, the home secretary, David Blunkett, said today.

France has agreed to close the camp four months ahead of schedule and to accept 3,600 of the 4,800 refugees currently registered at Sangatte. Those being granted leave to stay in Britain will be given four-year work visas rather than being granted refugee status.

The deal was hammered out earlier today in talks between Mr Blunkett, and the French interior minister, Nicolas Sarkozy.

Mr Blunkett described the move as a "breakthrough of enormous proportions", while Mr Sarkozy said the closing of the camp put an end to a "massive inhumanity".

Mr Blunkett said: "To close the magnet of Sangatte we will close the camp and the UK will take its fair share of those who would otherwise seek entry to the UK, claim asylum, cost the taxpayers of Britain a very great deal of money and would not be contributing to the solution of the problem."

Refugees who have already registered at Sangatte have until tomorrow evening to present themselves if they wish to take part in the programme agreed today, Mr Sarkozy said.

"We will give them until 8pm on Tuesday for those who have been given a badge. After that it's all over," Mr Sarkozy said. "That's the final deadline."

"In acting this way we have put an end to a situation that was characterised by massive inhumanity to those people who were living in the centre.

"Don't forget, we have had five murders in that centre.

"We will also put an end to a symbol - a symbol which was like a magnet for immigrants who thought that by coming there they would find a way into the UK."

The French government will take responsibility for about 300 remaining Sangatte residents plus another 500 it is already housing elsewhere.
The stories you need to read, in one handy email
Read more

They will also deal with any illegal immigrants who continue to arrive in the area, currently running at about 10 a week.

Mr Sarkozy said: "At the height of the crisis we were having about 400 arriving every day.

"So I think therefore that one of the most complex issues we have been asked to resolve has been resolved between us in a final and definitive manner."
Nearly 15 years and now we are blocking those migrants in camp at the Italian frontier. :( Well, at least the weather is better in Piedmont.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 20, 2016

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Iggore posted:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2016/09/19/97001-20160919FILWWW00168-merkel-admet-une-impreparation-dans-l-accueil-des-refugies.php

Merkel admits her government wasn't prepared to manage the refugee influx when she welcomed them in 2015. It's a shame she only admits it after an electoral bruise.

As with the Calais jungle, it isn't an indictment of the presence of the refugees and migrants, which would be foolish to entertain, but rather a glaring failure of public policy that is difficult to understand. I live on the other side of the Atlantic and I can't imagine how the public wouldn't respond if something similar happened. It is true that Canada only toke 25 000 (and the U.S.A an even lower per capita ratio), but at least they'll likely have a higher rate of successful integration and at a much lower social cost at that.

The thing is though, Canada only accepts refugees when it's ready for them because it's basically impossible to get to Canada without using legitimate, government-controllable transport routes (no-one's taking dinghys across the Atlantic). Meanwhile, refugees can walk to Germany under their own steam, meaning ready or not, here I come!

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

Sarkozy actually closed the Sangatte camp in 2002 when he was Chirac's Minister of interior. Illegal camps have been growing up in nord pas calais since then. But most of his Sarkozy ranting is pretty spot on.
Ah, okay. While this was a dick move, that post made it sound like there was a camp during the current crisis that was closed leaving the refugees in the dust, not that the camp has been closed for 14 years but, knowing that full well, refugees still come there for some goddamn reason.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The illegal camps have existed since then, the current refugee crisis merely made them grow a lot.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pizdec posted:

In addition to being a rebranded SED, they also have former Stasi(former stalinist secret police of the GDR) higher ups sitting in parliament.

Their party program ranges from pretty reasonable to batshit insane, which is why no other party is willing to go into a coalition with them on a federal level. A good example of their retarded nonsese would probably be their demand to abolish NATO and declare eastern Europe a Russian "sphere of influence".

During the late 90's they almost ceased to exist as a meaningful political force on a federal level, but then came the self-destruction of the social democrats and they made a huge comeback in the east with their new "Die Linke" rebranding.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
SED -> SED/PDS -> PDS -> Die Linkspartei.PDS + WASG -> Die Linke

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Riso posted:

SED -> SED/PDS -> PDS -> Die Linkspartei.PDS + WASG -> Die Linke
Since I come from Poland, a country which has seen its least-worst years (EU benefits notwithstanding) under the government of former communists (the actual, real, pre-89 kind) rebranded as centre-left, arguments from political pedigree don't hold much water for me. I was mainly asking about their platform and their adherence to it while in power.

The abolishment of NATO crap and related Russian-stooging does sound awful though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iggore
May 6, 2009

Teddles posted:

The thing is though, Canada only accepts refugees when it's ready for them because it's basically impossible to get to Canada without using legitimate, government-controllable transport routes (no-one's taking dinghys across the Atlantic). Meanwhile, refugees can walk to Germany under their own steam, meaning ready or not, here I come!

It is true that the USA and Canada do not share the same challenge than Europe. The problem stem from the perception that the Europeans, with all their ressources and know-how, are not giving themselves the means to meet this challenge. They're only acting through reaction while doing as little as possible, probably because population management on such a scale would be a very costly and superficially ugly thing (camps, etc).

The average-term and long-term cost of doing as little as possible is clear. It is a self-fulfilling prophecy and wet dream of the far-right: failure of integration of a foreign population on a regional level from which will flow insecurity and social crispation (think mayors banning the burkini). It'd be so easily avoidable if things were managed as well as they should and could.