Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Goku would murder you the second he sees you and to say otherwise is not understanding the character.

Goku Black is the real Goku free from all those Baka Gaijins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Goku would murder you the second he sees you and to say otherwise is not understanding the character.

Goku Black is the real Goku free from all those Baka Gaijins.

I was mostly exaggerating about his character, but the fact of the matter is that Goku IS an idiot fighter savant.

And the rest of what I said is entirely accurate. They did make his character much more of a traditional hero than what it actually was for those reasons.

Its the same reason Digimon season 1 was loaded down with puns so they could get the more adult subjects to pass, and why half the poo poo that was wrong with the majority of 90s cartoons happened.

Just look at the Hope of the Universe speech and compare it to what he actually says.

Japanese Goku is a guy who cares about fighting more than most things in life. 90s Dub Goku was basically a hero who cared about justice and doing good, though that faded by the time of Buu I think. By the time Buu was being dubbed, it was the 2000s and the restrictions were no longer anywhere near as strict.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'd love to see an arc where a 40+ year old Goku has to take 12 weeks off because he's developed tendinitis in his joints from overtraining. He tries to distract himself with family but he's been such a small part of their lives they can only humour him for a day before he becomes a burden.

In the b-thread, Bulma forces Vegeta to get a check up and he worries he might have prostate cancer.

The c-thread is Piccolo and Tien fighting a bunch of demons and saving the world.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

I'd love to see an arc where a 40+ year old Goku has to take 12 weeks off because he's developed tendinitis in his joints from overtraining. He tries to distract himself with family but he's been such a small part of their lives they can only humour him for a day before he becomes a burden.

In the b-thread, Bulma forces Vegeta to get a check up and he worries he might have prostate cancer.

The c-thread is Piccolo and Tien fighting a bunch of demons and saving the world.

You should watch Dragonball Super then.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sassassin posted:

isn't that basically what happened when he uses the super kaioken or w/e in super

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

I hate Goku.

He's a bad person.

I think Goku is a pretty cool guy.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Goku is a strong character because he embodies how you can be a totally pure and wonderful person and still make universe-destroying mistakes because you don't want to look weak in front of your frenemies.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Manatee Cannon posted:

isn't that basically what happened when he uses the super kaioken or w/e in super

That was a single day which glossed over all the real issues an autistic monster like Goku would actually face transitioning to real life and getting older.

I'm surprised he hasn't killed himself already, knowing that only in death could he maintain his most powerful form (SS3).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Reminder that Goku's head injury and brain damage didn't suppress his Saiyan side, given what we see of Vegeta. It's his humanity that was destroyed.

Goku's "failure" to destroy earth was purely a timing issue.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Vegeta's particular mental problems are cultural/environmental. Once he steps outside his original confines his character changes and he accepts new concepts readily. Goku does not. He is frighteningly static.

It's a shame Super has been tying Vegeta closer to Goku (the recurring food stuff etc.) when his arc has always been adversarial in a truer sense. They are in no way counterparts. Vegeta was always closest to Piccolo; the monster who discovers "humanity" after being confronted with a truly monstrous Other (Goku).

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

READ THE loving MANGA

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Part of why I'd like to see Vegetto again is that with Super's formula they might need to wait to collect the Dragonballs or for them to reset and need to deal with normal life as a fused entity.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Don't fusion shame.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

maybe chi chi and bulma could just fuse together as well

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"Oh why don't they just fuse, that'll solve everything" is a key phrase doctors listen for when diagnosing autism.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BizarroAzrael posted:

Part of why I'd like to see Vegetto again is that with Super's formula they might need to wait to collect the Dragonballs or for them to reset and need to deal with normal life as a fused entity.

Why would they have to wait? Bulma has a time machine.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rutibex posted:

Why would they have to wait? Bulma has a time machine.

gently caress. It got broken, or Pilaf nicked it.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

funimation changed the scene of goku powering up after getting out of the time chamber from gohan being completely unimpressed by goku's power to gohan being unable to imagine how strong his dad has gotten

other than that funimation is perfect and infallible and The Definitive Dragon Ball Experience

except for

Stairmaster posted:

READING THE loving MANGA

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Ocean is superior to Funimation sorry

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ocean is garage, belief otherwise is pretty much revisionist history.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though I think the whole Superman thing is overblown and I hope the weird hick accent thing doesn't translate over because it's the worst.

That's just how the subs handle translating the way he speaks into English text. Sean Schemmel is a good voice actor who can do dumb Goku just fine and there's no reason that will change for Super.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ruggington posted:

funimation changed the scene of goku powering up after getting out of the time chamber from gohan being completely unimpressed by goku's power to gohan being unable to imagine how strong his dad has gotten

other than that funimation is perfect and infallible and The Definitive Dragon Ball Experience

except for

I can live with that change though. Adds more to the Gohan thinking Goku was insane when he tossed the baton to him. It's incorrect as far as translations go, but still doable for the plot.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The manga is great but let's not pretend VIZ's version doesn't have translation issues of its own at times.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
The reads like its trying to be olde english, or Piccolo is trying to talk like Yoda.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

JDRockefeller posted:

The reads like its trying to be olde english, or Piccolo is trying to talk like Yoda.
He talks in some weird facsimile of early modern English for the Saiyan saga but no other part of the manga.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Momomo posted:

He also literally says he wants to show Vegeta mercy, as shown in this:

edit: lol apparently Funi just completely changed his speech

what a strange man that goku

Kai fixed it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz10yWZMMdw
Kai is best dub

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Goku is a big cool guy and I like when he punches space aliens, paramilitary organizations, and genies.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I miss all that plagiarized music from the first run of Kai. Good stuff.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Raxivace posted:

The manga is great but let's not pretend VIZ's version doesn't have translation issues of its own at times.

ZARBON
My naked weapon is out: quarrel, I will back thee.

DODORIA
How! turn thy back and run?

ZARBON
Fear me not.

DODORIA
No, marry; I fear thee!

ZARBON
Let us take the law of our sides; let them begin.

DODORIA
I will frown as I pass by, and let them take it as
they list.

ZARBON
Nay, as they dare. I will bite my thumb at them;
which is a disgrace to them, if they bear it.

Enter PICCOLO and KRILLEN

PICCOLO
Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?

ZARBON
I do bite my thumb, sir.

PICCOLO

ZARBON
[Aside to DODORIA] Is the law of our side, if I say
ay?

DODORIA
No.

ZARBON
No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I
bite my thumb, sir.

DODORIA
Do you quarrel, sir?

PICCOLO
Quarrel sir! no, sir.

ZARBON
If you do, sir, I am for you: I serve as good a man as you.

PICCOLO
No better.

ZARBON
Well, sir.

DODORIA
Say 'better:' here comes one of my master's kinsmen.

ZARBON
Yes, better, sir.

PICCOLO
You lie.

ZARBON
Draw, if you be men. Dodoria, remember thy swashing blow.

They fight

Enter GOKU

GOKU
Part, fools!
Put up your swords; you know not what you do.

Beats down their swords

Enter FREEZA

FREEZA
What, art thou drawn among these heartless hinds?
Turn thee, Goku, look upon thy death.

GOKU
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me.

FREEZA
What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word,
As I hate hell, all Super Saiyans, and thee:
Have at thee, coward!

They fight

Enter, several of both houses, who join the fray; then enter Namekians, with clubs

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Did Kai fix Goku/Gohans exit from the chamber? Always annoyed me how the original didnt hint at Gohans crazy power

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Is there any Super this week?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Is there any Super this week?

nope

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Always forget that, with Vegeta always being just behind Goku for most of their rivalry, he was the one who actually won their first fight.

Augus posted:

Enter, several of both houses, who join the fray; then enter Namekians, with clubs[/i]

Why has destiny conspired against them so tragically?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Augus posted:

ZARBON
My naked weapon is out: quarrel, I will back thee.

DODORIA
How! turn thy back and run?

ZARBON
Fear me not.

DODORIA
No, marry; I fear thee!

ZARBON
Let us take the law of our sides; let them begin.

DODORIA
I will frown as I pass by, and let them take it as
they list.

ZARBON
Nay, as they dare. I will bite my thumb at them;
which is a disgrace to them, if they bear it.

Enter PICCOLO and KRILLEN

PICCOLO

ZARBON
I do bite my thumb, sir.

PICCOLO

ZARBON
[Aside to DODORIA] Is the law of our side, if I say
ay?

DODORIA
No.

ZARBON
No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I
bite my thumb, sir.

DODORIA
Do you quarrel, sir?

PICCOLO
Quarrel sir! no, sir.

ZARBON
If you do, sir, I am for you: I serve as good a man as you.

PICCOLO
No better.

ZARBON
Well, sir.

DODORIA
Say 'better:' here comes one of my master's kinsmen.

ZARBON
Yes, better, sir.

PICCOLO
You lie.

ZARBON
Draw, if you be men. Dodoria, remember thy swashing blow.

They fight

Enter GOKU

GOKU
Part, fools!
Put up your swords; you know not what you do.

Beats down their swords

Enter FREEZA

FREEZA
What, art thou drawn among these heartless hinds?
Turn thee, Goku, look upon thy death.

GOKU
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me.

FREEZA
What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word,
As I hate hell, all Super Saiyans, and thee:
Have at thee, coward!

They fight

Enter, several of both houses, who join the fray; then enter Namekians, with clubs

Not sure what the best part of this is. That it works so well, or the implication that Vegeta is Juliet.

I need TeamFourStar to do this now.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 18, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
No punchman this weekend?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That makes Bulma our Romeo.

Who is the Friar? Roshi?

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

sassassin posted:

Reminder that Goku's head injury and brain damage didn't suppress his Saiyan side, given what we see of Vegeta. It's his humanity that was destroyed.

Goku's "failure" to destroy earth was purely a timing issue.

My theory is that as a young kid, when he caused Grandpa Gohan all that trouble trying do do his Saiyan programming, when he hit his head and saw Gohan tending to him and making sure he gets better, baby-Goku just sorta realized he should chill the gently caress out and there's nothing to be afraid of.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Raxivace posted:

Oh so they do have 70s-80s dubs but for mangas?! Wow.

Fast and the Furious 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Vegeekta

• Locked thread