Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Are you people not American? He says in the ad that his opponent has been, "Attacking him on guns." What this means, in my miserable hellscape country, is that his opponent has been circulating ads about how this guy is a dickless woman pussy who likes cocks and frilly dresses because he's in favor of gun control. The ad where he reassembles an AR-15 blindfolded is a reasonable response to that.

The schadenfreude is on me for living here and caring about politics at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
we also would have accepted videos of him choking a rabbit or banging his wife

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

He needs to convince the dummies, not you.

This.

It's not a debate, it's a political ad. He's taking the wind out of his opponent's attacks that he's either anti-second amendment or simply doesn't know what he's talking about with regards to guns. Neither of which, as he shows in this video, is true. He's not trying to convince the voters by laying out logical, reasoned arguments, but he's trying to swing voters in his direction by showing that he loves guns as much as they do and he won't try to take them away from them.

Politics is dumb, but this is very effective. He doesn't need to convince the people that put thought into this. Those who can be swayed by reasoned arguments are already decided on the issue. Instead, he needs to convince the people that are afraid that being pro background checks means you're a liberal that wants to take your guns.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

It's not clear to me how his military experience informs him about background checks, but this isn't my home turf. (I'm in favour of background checks just intuitively, but I can't connect field-stripping to the validity of his presented position. Ooh-rah nonetheless!)

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

What does a military engagement in an active war zone have to do with domestic gun control though? I'm not saying the burn wasn't icy but this smacks of "As a single mother of 3, I know what it takes to balance a budget"

It's not background checks or domestic gun control specifically. It's countering "I vaguely like guns, he vaguely hates guns" with "I know guns, I respect guns, and I know what it is like to be in a situation where guns are pointed at me in anger." It's like countering "I know what it's like to be hungry, my opponent doesn't" with "Here's my medical diagnosis from the time I was in hospital for actual malnutrition from starvation." The gun assembly thing is just him showing off that he has actual practical skills regarding firearms, and it's a lot harder to fake assembly than, say, accuracy.

Like, if he'd released a video of him putting a bunch of rounds downrange, it would be easy to claim that was trickery. But it's harder to say "those aren't his hands assembling that gun" or whatnot. Plus, no sad children or red-tinted unflattering pictures or imposing headlines or apocalyptic orchestral music, just direct speech to camera. Restraint is important.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 14:34 on Sep 18, 2016

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

LordSaturn posted:

Are you people not American? He says in the ad that his opponent has been, "Attacking him on guns." What this means, in my miserable hellscape country, is that his opponent has been circulating ads about how this guy is a dickless woman pussy who likes cocks and frilly dresses because he's in favor of gun control. The ad where he reassembles an AR-15 blindfolded is a reasonable response to that.

The schadenfreude is on me for living here and caring about politics at all.

Pretty much this. He's not trying to argue that his military service makes him an expert on domestic gun policy, just that he knows way more about the things then his presumably anti-gun control opponent.

Edit: jeze this thread moves fast.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I get it, it was a good political ice burn. But the other guy was asking, schadenfreude aside, why he should then vote for him (presumably to bring the circlejerk into context). So I think we're arguing at cross-purposes - I'm not denying that it wasn't a sick "yo mama" comeback, given the target demographics, and you're not denying that it's something according to which a reasonable adult would probably not form a political opinion. And if that isn't enough to drop the topic, remember that I'm a proud mother of 3 and they all served and so did I

e: vvvv oh. will your disability ever stop tearing this family apart??

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Sep 18, 2016

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Well i asked why it'd make me vote for him mostly because, me being deaf and the ad not being subtitled, I had no idea what he was actually saying.
Now that I do, I agree with him and would vote for him were I a Missourian

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Well i asked why it'd make me vote for him mostly because, me being deaf and the ad not being subtitled,

What's the best obviously-wrong subtitle you ever saw?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HopperUK posted:

What's the best obviously-wrong subtitle you ever saw?

The closed captions that Youtube automatically generated for the video we're talking about are mostly correct except in one crucial instance, the guy says "I approve of background checks so terrorists can't get their hands on one of these" but YT apparently struggled to understand his accent and thought he said:

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The closed captions that Youtube automatically generated for the video we're talking about are mostly correct except in one crucial instance, the guy says "I approve of background checks so terrorists can't get their hands on one of these" but YT apparently struggled to understand his accent and thought he said:

Send this screenshot to his opponent, quick!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
But how will a background check help? They've obviously not blown themselves up yet so they probably have a clean record at the time of gun purchase?

I'm not an American so I don't know what the details a gun background check looks for.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ak Gara posted:

But how will a background check help? They've obviously not blown themselves up yet so they probably have a clean record at the time of gun purchase?

I'm not an American so I don't know what the details a gun background check looks for.

Not to get into Gun-Control-Chat but background checks are a bare-minimum level that would have prevented a very large number of shootings that have happened in the USA in recent years. The use of "terrorists" is probably because the Pulse nightclub shooter was a terror suspect and was still able to buy his weapons legally, depending on how recent the ad is.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Ak Gara posted:

That's okay, most Americans don't understand either.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Do you guys think a hot dog is a sandwich?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

zakharov posted:

That should be a question on the background check to weed out the terrorists

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

zakharov posted:

I prefer my tube steaks well done. Then I walk out of the restaurant after leaving a generous 10% tip, calculated pre-tax.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Improbable Lobster posted:

Not to get into Gun-Control-Chat but background checks are a bare-minimum level that would have prevented a very large number of shootings that have happened in the USA in recent years. The use of "terrorists" is probably because the Pulse nightclub shooter was a terror suspect and was still able to buy his weapons legally, depending on how recent the ad is.

I can think of several high-profile shooters who wouldn't have been stopped by a background check, the Pulse nightclub shooter among them. (The issue with that particular example is that the FBI didn't have anything to support keeping him watched, even after interviewing him twice.) Another example'd be the Sandy Hooks shooter from a couple years ago, since he'd used his mother's legally-owned guns to do it, although in his case he wouldn't have been able to do it had he been sectioned.

It's a complicated issue with complicated solutions, but background checks are a common-sense baseline.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

zakharov posted:

Sandwiches aren't really much of a thing in my country, it's all "brødskive" which is a slice of bread with butter and "pålegg" on top that can be cold cuts, cheese, spreads, etc. A hot dog is definitely not a brødskive. :norway:

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

my grandfather came from norway and when anyone asks about my heritage i tell them norwegian because my last name is the same as his but that is garbage, what a garbage country

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I read this as "pegleg" and was very confused for a moment or two.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I read this as "pegleg" and was very confused for a moment or two.

Near as I can tell it means something like toppings. Could pigsfeet be a pålegg?

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

:parrot:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Near as I can tell it means something like toppings. Could pigsfeet be a pålegg?

It literally means "put on" ("å legge på" = "to put on") and is in essence anything you put on a buttered slice of bread. Pigsfeet aren't very suited, but we have sylte! Here are some brødskiver:

I guess the schadenfreude is that we eat this for breakfast, lunch and any other non-dinner meal :norway:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ak Gara posted:

They mostly check for any criminal record (any kind of felony conviction or a charge awaiting trial is a denial), a documented mental illness or disability, drug use, dishonorable discharge from the military, etc.

The thing is, background checks are ALREADY a thing in America. Even in the most right-wing states, the only way to avoid a background check to legally buy a gun is a private purchase from an individual owner. Purchasing a gun from any licensed firearms dealer (every gun store ever) requires a federal background check. The store owners can also cancel a sale at any time to suspect persons; one Chicago reporter after Pulse tried to buy an AR-15 as part of a bandwagon of reporters going "Look how easy it is to buy guns in America!" and got rejected for being recognized for a domestic violence case.

The issue is that background checks have been unable to prevent many mass shootings because they either avoided the check entirely (the Sandy Hook shooter stole his mom's guns and the Columbine shooters had a friend illegally purchase guns for them, which is a federal felony) or didn't have anything in their background that would prevent a sale from going forward. You can't exactly ban lunatics from getting weapons if their record has no lunatic behavior on it.

Dylann Roof was a weird case. He got a red flag on his check because he was awaiting trial for felony drug possession, but the local police departments ran the system in rings trying to deny responsibility for his paperwork until the mandatory period passed with no confirmation of the felony and the gun was released to him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

zakharov posted:

Almost. It's a 1/4 open-faced sandwich.

Are corndogs a sandwich though?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

RareAcumen posted:

No, they are dumplings.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RareAcumen posted:

Sandwiches are food, so no.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

Even in the most right-wing states, the only way to avoid a background check to legally buy a gun is a private purchase from an individual owner. Purchasing a gun from any licensed firearms dealer (every gun store ever) requires a federal background check.

Guns can be bought with no background check at your local gun show as well.

Also, a lot of the politicians in favor of background checks also want restrictions put on private gun sales, such as documentation of the sale (which, depending on your state may or may not be a law).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A kabob.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Nah, no bun. Fried batter doesn't count. Are chicken nuggets sandwiches? Tempura shrimp? Beer battered halibut?

I rest my case. :c00lbutt:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is a lobster roll a sandwich? If it is then so is a hotdog.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Zipperelli. posted:

Which is where a lot of guns are sold nowadays.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Y'all want some real gun schadenfreude? Thanks to the NRA's meddling, all of those gun applications aren't allowed to be recorded as computerized records:

http://www.gq.com/story/inside-federal-bureau-of-way-too-many-guns

quote:

There's no telling how many guns we have in America—and when one gets used in a crime, no way for the cops to connect it to its owner. The only place the police can turn for help is a Kafkaesque agency in West Virginia, where, thanks to the gun lobby, computers are illegal and detective work is absurdly antiquated. On purpose.

This country is a goddamned hellhole.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

It literally means "put on" ("å legge på" = "to put on") and is in essence anything you put on a buttered slice of bread. Pigsfeet aren't very suited, but we have sylte! Here are some brødskiver:

I guess the schadenfreude is that we eat this for breakfast, lunch and any other non-dinner meal :norway:

It's called "beleg" in Dutch, also means 'put on' and works in exactly the same way. Common for breakfast and lunch too.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Your Computer posted:

I have seen/heard "smørbrød" used pertaining to open-faced sandwiches in Norwegian as well; is that just a regional/dialect thing? Or is it part of an elaborate Norwegian prank to further the use of ø in the eyes of befuddled Americans?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zipperelli. posted:

Not from a dealer, they can't. Gun show vs. no gun show is irrelevant, private sales from one individual to another don't need a check, dealer sales do, it doesn't matter whether the sale's being done in the dealer's storefront or at a gun show or out of the back of his Chevy in the parking lot behind the McDonald's. "Gun show loophole" is a complete misnomer, it has nothing to do with gun shows and gun shows are in no way any different under the laws.

And before you ask: if you as a private individual sell guns regularly or earn a significant percentage of your income from gun sales, the ATF is going to consider you a dealer and require you to get a license. If you're in the business of selling guns, you need a license, and "in the business" has included sales numbers as low as 2 guns.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Sep 18, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well as long as terrorists have to shop around I guess it’s okay then.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CapitanGarlic posted:

I have seen/heard "smørbrød" used pertaining to open-faced sandwiches in Norwegian as well; is that just a regional/dialect thing? Or is it part of an elaborate Norwegian prank to further the use of ø in the eyes of befuddled Americans?

A smørbrød (literally "butter bread" aka. buttered bread) is a brødskive too, but the term is often used for a bit more ~fancy~ ones that have luxuries such as lettuce or two pieces of bread (aka. a sandwich). :pseudo:

Also rest assured that we do not want more Americans to see the letter ø, because you keep thinking it's a funny o (it's not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Well as long as terrorists have to shop around I guess it’s okay then.

Generally any terrorists who actually bought their guns legally from a licensed dealer (a stupidly small number) had clean enough records to pass their nation's background checks anyway.