Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blackquill is probably one of the few characters who was improved by the localization, changing his samurai shtick to him being a weeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean if the prosecutor just gave up and said "OK the defendant seems to be innocent" you'd probably never find evidence nailing the true culprit. All of the attorneys need to be challenged in order to find answers.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Well, it looks like Case 3 is taking an interesting turn.

It's actually happening. We're cross-examining the victim. I guess it was inevitable, with the mystical mumbo-jumbo of Khur'ain, that we'd end up taking testimony from a dead guy.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Finale spoilers

HE POINTS SO HARD, THE SOLDIERS THREATENING HIM WITH GUNS GO FLYING.

Wait, did they wind up for that? Are they jumping out of the way dramatically just to make Apollo look cool? This loving video game

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Alright, I unwatched this thread for a while, but I finally got around to finishing Cases 3 and 4.

Thus far I'd say: Case 2 = Case 4 > Case 3 > Case 1.

None of the cases have felt bad so far, but they feel largely unconnected, aside from Cases 1 and 3 involving tragedy due to foreigners and Cases 2 and 4 involving performers.

I guess I'll see if that factors into the final case in any way.

Also, Uendo is a treasure. Each and every one of him. Or her, in the case of Kisegawa.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Alright, I unwatched this thread for a while, but I finally got around to finishing Cases 3 and 4.

Thus far I'd say: Case 2 = Case 4 > Case 3 > Case 1.

None of the cases have felt bad so far, but they feel largely unconnected, aside from Cases 1 and 3 involving tragedy due to foreigners and Cases 2 and 4 involving performers.

I guess I'll see if that factors into the final case in any way.

Also, Uendo is a treasure. Each and every one of him. Or her, in the case of Kisegawa.

There's definitely a thematic link between all the cases (maybe outside of 6-1?), but that'll probably all connect after case 5.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If I had to guess, I'd wager it's family ties?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If I had to guess, I'd wager it's family ties?

I'd say you're a bit off the mark, though the game'll make it clear at the very end anyways.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

6-1 has a more direct plot connection in that Pees was stealing the Founder's Orb for Inga

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Aren't the investigation games the only real AA games that have direct plot connections through each case?

The formula with the recent games seem to be Case 1 has some sort of connection to the plot at large, the next few cases mostly serve to introduce and develop characters, and then the final case or two have all the drama and the big plot beats.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

TT had 4, 1, 5, with some incidental foreshadowing in 3.

But pretty much, yes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

TT had 4, 1, 5, with some incidental foreshadowing in 3.

But pretty much, yes.

I feel like incidental foreshadowing happens pretty happen often in the middle cases. Just never anything super major.

DD also was pretty well-connected throughout. Case 2 being the major outlier, because 3 had a huge amount of foreshadowing and things about Athena and Blackquill's relationship and her whole courtroom trauma and stuff. Though, SoJ's case 3 has a good amount of foreshadowing and necessary set up for later cases as well.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Heatwizard posted:

Finale spoilers

Gust of wind finger-pointing from the anime making its way into the games, apparently.

Anyway, game was fantastic, but it left me wanting more. So against, perhaps, my better judgment I've gone back to AA4. Thought it might be worth a revisit now that I feel I have a better handle on who Apollo is as a character. So weird seeing washed up hobo-Phoenix and embittered failure Ema again, this game was not kind to its recurring characters.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

gannyGrabber posted:

Also, I totally knew the clown's juggs would pop!

I honestly would have been surprised if that didn't happen after all of the "balloon" jokes.

I also felt kind of bad for Geiru.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Really game? Puh'Ray Zea'Lot's real name was Rheel Nemu? I expected better from you, game :colbert:.

Also goddamn, I've just started Case 4 and they must've really had to bend over backwards to localize this one. I'm starting to suspect the Japanese writers do it on purpose just to gently caress with the American team now after the town in Dual Destinies.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 18, 2016

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Just beat the game. I honestly thought that (Case 5) I was gonna have to prove that Ami Fey was actually the Holy Mother, but that didn't happen. What does happen was pretty cool though and I'm happy for Apollo

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Oh my gosh, the rush this game gave me. Especially Case 5, but really there was a great moment in every case. Though, with case 4 it was mostly just Blackquill being amazing. Great to see him in a more lighthearted capacity. :3:

Cases ranked:
5 pt 2 - :psyduck:
2 - what we were promised and denied in Apollo Justice - a magic murder mystery!, and the solution was deeply satisfying
3 - Twisty as heck, with a gutpunch ending, but some parts dragged a bit
5pt 1 - really solid, but I felt like the idea of Phoenix as opposing counsel was never fleshed out as well as it should've been, and I was disappointed that it was coercion that made him represent Atishan
4 - no connection to the main plot, things lost in translation, but still enjoyable, and I loved the dynamic between Athena and Blackquill.
1 - Decent introduction, but it's kinda tedious until Peeslub'n shows up, and I just do not like Gaspen Payne

but none of them are bad, in isolation. 4's only problematic in that it does nothing for the broader plot.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Spatula City posted:

5pt 1 - really solid, but I felt like the idea of Phoenix as opposing counsel was never fleshed out as well as it should've been, and I was disappointed that it was coercion that made him represent Atishan

It's not even like it's hard to imagine a legitimate for Phoenix to support him, I can see the closest friend of the Fey family having a stake in the Orb's identity as the Crystal of Ami Fey.

E: Huh, that's almost a joke about Final Fantasy 1. Debating whether something plot important is an orb or a crystal. :v:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm only through case 2, but I think it might be one of my favorite in the series so far. I actually got really frustrated early in the trial because there were two or three times I knew what I needed to prove but not which piece of evidence the game would allow, which is a mark against it, but other than that it was pretty great.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

AlphaKretin posted:

It's not even like it's hard to imagine a legitimate for Phoenix to support him, I can see the closest friend of the Fey family having a stake in the Orb's identity as the Crystal of Ami Fey.

E: Huh, that's almost a joke about Final Fantasy 1. Debating whether something plot important is an orb or a crystal. :v:

(still case 5-1 stuff) And it wouldn't be that unreasonable to conclude that it would be safer to keep the Founder's Orb out of Khura'in for as long as Paul Atishon's benefactor was at large. Boom, Phoenix opposes you because he genuinely believes you're in the wrong.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think there is any situation where anyone remotely competent or sympathetic would be legitimately supporting Attishon.

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014
Episode 5 Day 1

When Phoenix showed that Hobo Phoenix downward smile, I thought we were going in the direction that Phoenix was manuevering things deliberately to force Atishon's benefactor into the light but it turned out differently

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I feel sorry for whoever had to translate the Kurata Cards puzzle in Case 4. That could not have been an easy job.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think there is any situation where anyone remotely competent or sympathetic would be legitimately supporting Attishon.

Well that's because he's a murderer. Thinking back, I'm kind of disappointed he was. It's such an easy answer. It'd be much more interesting if he was just a huge jerk who was sometimes right. Part of me wants to say that it's because the writers have no idea how to write a case that doesn't contain a culprit, but I want to believe that they actually did it because they thought it wouldn't be very satisfying if you didn't get to catch the jerk politician of some crime.

Still, I would've liked it if he were written to be a bit less cartoonishly evil and there was no kidnapping. I would've liked trying to actually dispute the orb's ownership from several angles, with a Phoenix who actually believed in what he said.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Well that's because he's a murderer. Thinking back, I'm kind of disappointed he was. It's such an easy answer. It'd be much more interesting if he was just a huge jerk who was sometimes right. Part of me wants to say that it's because the writers have no idea how to write a case that doesn't contain a culprit, but I want to believe that they actually did it because they thought it wouldn't be very satisfying if you didn't get to catch the jerk politician of some crime.

Still, I would've liked it if he were written to be a bit less cartoonishly evil and there was no kidnapping. I would've liked trying to actually dispute the orb's ownership from several angles, with a Phoenix who actually believed in what he said.

I mean. Before the trial even begins he almost kills Dhurke and Apollo.

Apollo and Phoenix battling over a case where they both believe themselves to be in the right would be better though I agree. But I don't think any of the set up made that seem like a legitimate occurrence for that case at least.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just finished this game, and have some thoughts

First off, I really love the divination seances. They're by far my favorite courtroom gimmick, far outstripping both the mood matrix and Apollo's lovely bracelet.

The game's biggest weakness, imo, is that Nahyuta just isn't a very compelling prosecutor. He's an interesting character, but the best prosecutor's in the series always make it feel like you're battling them rather than the facts of the case. Things like Franziska constantly intimidating witnesses so you have to spend the first cross-examination getting them to admit they're hiding something, or Manfred objecting every single time you pressed went a long way towards making it feel like a personal battle against a specific opponent. I thought they were going to do that with Nahyuta when they built him up as almost clairvoyant, but then it basically never came up in trial.

That said, Ga'ran is, by that same metric, a loving terrific prosecutor, probably second best after Manfred von Karma. Who else could rewrite the rules of the court, as you're in the middle of a trial?

The cases themselves were all relatively middle-of-the-road. Nothing went as low as 2-3 the worst of the AA4 cases, but nothing really wowed me like 1-4 or 3-5. I saw almost every twist in 6-5-2 coming from a mile away (only Ga'ran's lack of spiritual power really surprised me). I'm not really sure why I feel this way though; it might just be Nahyuta's relative blandness on top of otherwise solid cases.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Betty and Bonny are just the cutest.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm not too hot on Ema in general and she's a pretty weak replacement for Gumshoe, but i can't deny it feels good to actually get an honest-to-god Autopsy Report for what feels like the first time in ages again. Makes you feel... prepared.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HenryEx posted:

I'm not too hot on Ema in general and she's a pretty weak replacement for Gumshoe, but i can't deny it feels good to actually get an honest-to-god Autopsy Report for what feels like the first time in ages again. Makes you feel... prepared.

I'm kinda sad we haven't gotten to see Gumshoe again. I was hoping he'd pop up in Spirit of Justice :sigh:.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm kinda sad we haven't gotten to see Gumshoe again. I was hoping he'd pop up in Spirit of Justice :sigh:.

Based on Edgeworth's comment to Phoenix if you present random evidence to him we've at least got confirmation Gumshoe still works under Edgeworth and still speaks to Phoenix on at least a semi-regular basis.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Finished the game, excellent game with great character except the case 4 defendant gently caress him.

Case 5 Trail 2:
I gotta give them credit for not abusing Ga'ran's law rewriting gimmick, she only it abused once and that was when she cornered. All the other times she did it it helped move the trial forward which is nice. Two minor nitpicks though, I was waiting for Rayfa's "That's enough!" soundclip to shut up her mom or when Nayhuta was giving his spiel after his fake confession and it never came. And the other nitpick I feel like they should have reestablished Inga and Rayfa's relationship after her true parents are revealed. I know Inga was a terrible person, but he seemed to legitimately care about Rayfa because of the birthday card in his safe and it would have been nice to be reminded of it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Phoenix always believes in his clients even when there's a mountain of evidence against them. I think he would represent someone even if they're sortof a dick.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

About case 5 I really liked how it felt like you really were facing off against Phoenix instead of yet another prosecutor. He feels a bit unusually prepared since you're not playing as him, but he pulls a bunch of things out of his rear end to reverse the flow of the trial, which is totally what Phoenix does.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What's wrong with Bucky? The only thing about him that annoyed me was that he came to court drunk. That's not helping your case, man.

Also, the subtle pun of the soba chef becoming sober made me groan when I realized it.

Terper posted:

You're forgetting one thing, Your Honor! You're forgetting that the witness on the stand right now, is a loving GHOST

How many times has this joke actually been relevant in the series? :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 18, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh yeah, while I'm talking about the game again, boy is the voice acting in this game garbo. Luckily we're not subjected to much of it, but other than A DRAGON NEVER YIELDS it was all really bad. Rayfa was the worst offender, she's supposed to be barely 14 but she straight up sounds 30.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The VA's never been particularly good in the series apart from,
like, AA1's Objection clips, there's just a lot more of it here. At least Jamieson Price owns.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What's wrong with Bucky? The only thing about him that annoyed me was that he came to court drunk. That's not helping your case, man.

Also, the subtle pun of the soba chef becoming sober made me facepalm when I realized it.

That's his entire character, though. He's some drunk idiot who is so bad at holding his liquor that he can't even testify.

I somehow dislike case 4 a bit more every time I think about it. The most annoying thing about it is that Athena gives up about five times in the span of two minutes when a cursory glance at the evidence makes it super obvious who did it and why.

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah, while I'm talking about the game again, boy is the voice acting in this game garbo. Luckily we're not subjected to much of it, but other than A DRAGON NEVER YIELDS it was all really bad. Rayfa was the worst offender, she's supposed to be barely 14 but she straight up sounds 30.

Yeah, I don't know what's up with that. Because of that voice clip it took me until Phoenix pointed out that she's a teenager to realise that she wasn't an adult.

And More fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 18, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Case 4 does basically tell you who did it and their motive in the character profiles lol

Kindof reminds me of this one anime episode I saw where someone casually mentions the massive life insurance policy her husband just took out on her and that he wants a new car.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And More posted:

That's his entire character, though. He's some drunk idiot who is so bad at holding his liquor that he can't even testify.

Fair enough. I was pretty annoyed at him for most of the case, I'll admit, so I can't really contest your opinions.

AlphaKretin posted:

My gripe about Case 4 is that it blatantly only really exists so you get a chance to play as Athena, so presumably they'd have made it for people who like her, yet they spend the whole time making GBS threads on her as somehow less experienced than in 5-3.

To be fair, both times prior to this that Athena has stood in court, she's had a complete and total breakdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, both times prior to this that Athena has stood in court, she's had a complete and total breakdown.

Did she break down in case 5-3?