Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Mob is a middle schooler while Saitama is a grown rear end adult, and the differences in each series are mostly derived from that one distinction.

So while Mob is concerned with getting the cute red headed girl to notice him, Saitama is concerned with getting to the grocery store before the sale ends so he can stretch his budget that much farther. And while Mob is continuing to develop himself through his interactions with his friends/enemies and family, Saitama is more fully self confident and self-actualized--which, given how mature most of the other heroes are, leads to them learning from him.

This is might explain why there isn't an obvious Reigan equivalent in OPM.

Well there is one, it's just that it's Saitama himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Schwarzwald posted:

Mob is a middle schooler while Saitama is a grown rear end adult, and the differences in each series are mostly derived from that one distinction.

So while Mob is concerned with getting the cute red headed girl to notice him, Saitama is concerned with getting to the grocery store before the sale ends so he can stretch his budget that much farther. And while Mob is continuing to develop himself through his interactions with his friends/enemies and family, Saitama is more fully self confident and self-actualized--which, given how mature most of the other heroes are, leads to them learning from him.

This is might explain why there isn't an obvious Reigan equivalent in OPM.

Genos is much more of a mob equivalent.

Saitama is much closer to Reigan, someone who the student is looking up to, but who actually has nothing to teach them.

In Reigan's case it's because he actually lacks powers like mob's while in Saitama's case it's because he is immensely lazy and won the power lottery.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Genos is much more of a mob equivalent.

Saitama is much closer to Reigan, someone who the student is looking up to, but who actually has nothing to teach them.

In Reigan's case it's because he actually lacks powers like mob's while in Saitama's case it's because he is immensely lazy and won the power lottery.

Wrong on all counts.

Saitama worked his rear end off to get his powers, Reigen is the world's greatest psychic, and, you know. They're both excellent teachers.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

Wrong on all counts.

Saitama worked his rear end off to get his powers, Reigen is the world's greatest psychic, and, you know. They're both excellent teachers.

No, Reigen is the world's strongest exorcist. See, his powers are spiritual not psychic.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Wrong on all counts.

Yeah, Reigen actually gives Mob great advice and is always there to help him out when he is in a difficult situation.

He's the best mentor Mob (or anyone) could ever have.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
That Reigan doesn't owe the Mafia millions of yen is crazy to me, usually his sort of character archetype can't avoid having debts with the wrong people. Like the Fox from Zootopia.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Raenir Salazar posted:

That Reigan doesn't owe the Mafia millions of yen is crazy to me, usually his sort of character archetype can't avoid having debts with the wrong people. Like the Fox from Zootopia.

He's profoundly competent at running his business, what would make you think he has money problems? He's profoundly competent at everything but, you know, having a life.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Obviously, that's why he

Took over CLAW with his massive psychic powers. Can't owe money to a world domination organization you run yourself!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Do not poo poo talk the world's greatest human, Arataka Reigen

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Just watched this week's episode.

I should've known that such a powerful esper teacher figure would HAVE to betray Mob, it's the biggest cliche ever!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Do not poo poo talk the world's greatest human, Arataka Reigen

Some people always turn from the light of god, shameful.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm just going to post this again.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I don't think the King costume is appropriate,

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

why?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
They are both very powerful

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
oh god those hands :stonk:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Dr Subterfuge posted:

oh god those hands :stonk:

drawing hands is hard

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

drawing hands is hard

For sure. But those make me go YIKES.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

So what way are people going on the Reigen matter? Is legitimately the leader of claw and actually strong, is not strong and conned the rest of Claw, is not strong and has conned Section 7 into thinking he is the leader.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Having not read it, my prediction is (spoiling in the very unlikely case that i am correct) that they were expecting the leader for some reason and that nobody there has actually seen the leader. So when Reigen shows up at the perfect time, they all just assumed he's the leader and he rolls with it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah at the moment I feel that something like that is eminently plausible but so is him being legitimately the leader. That's what's so great about the cliffhanger, it really is effective at making you totally unsure what to think. If you are correct then that means Reigen came to save his dear student despite being weak :3:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah at the moment I feel that something like that is eminently plausible but so is him being legitimately the leader. That's what's so great about the cliffhanger, it really is effective at making you totally unsure what to think. If you are correct then that means Reigen came to save his dear student despite being weak :3:

Or he's there to pull a completely different con and happened upon him.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Or he's there to pull a completely different con and happened upon him.

"Any of you guys interested in this vase I'm selling?"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

EmmyOk posted:

So what way are people going on the Reigen matter? Is legitimately the leader of claw and actually strong, is not strong and conned the rest of Claw, is not strong and has conned Section 7 into thinking he is the leader.

I'm guessing that the conman is, in fact, a conman

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Why is being a conman and being the powerful leader of claw a mutually exclusive thing

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I think people should stop calling my boy Reigan a conman. He always solves his customers problems, always! It's just most of the time the answer isn't ghosts it's something mundane that Reigan doesn't even need to use his masterful psychic powers for.

On top of that he's an excellent teacher for Mob, giving him values, life lessons, and an open ear which Mob needs. Reigan is perfect and he deserves to be treated as such.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Reigen "Conman" Arataka.

Here's a quick sketch I did of Mob because he is a precious boy who correctly chose to be in the Body Improvement Club.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

HelloWinter posted:

Reigen "Conman" Arataka.

Here's a quick sketch I did of Mob because he is a precious boy who correctly chose to be in the Body Improvement Club.

mob would never use his powers to lift up weights for no reason

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Xinder posted:

Having not read it, my prediction is (spoiling in the very unlikely case that i am correct) that they were expecting the leader for some reason and that nobody there has actually seen the leader. So when Reigen shows up at the perfect time, they all just assumed he's the leader and he rolls with it.

:ssh: There was a mention earlier in the episode that they were expecting the boss to come by in a month.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

HelloWinter posted:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Terror Sweat posted:

mob would never use his powers to lift up weights for no reason

it's a side effect of being 100% Pumped

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The head of the Body Improvement Club told Mob to work out his mind as well as his muscles but Mob misunderstood.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm guessing that the conman is, in fact, a conman

Sure but whether he's lying to Mob or to Claw it's still a con. I don't think it'll end up being that Reigen is the leader of Claw but still secretly a normal human because the leader of Claw fought and scarred all of the Scars. So either Reigen is scamming them into thinking he's the real leader or he's been scamming Mob all this time. I think both are equally likely to be honest and there's plenty of reasons he may have been lying to Mob all this time plus pretending to be a lovely psychic is the perfect disguise for an insanely powerful psychic.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The whole Reigen is a psychic doesn't sit-well with the first few episodes where he isn't reading Mob's mind and keeps having to lie to mob to hide his non-spirit powers while also being super-impressed with Mob's powers.

Unless he's sealed away his psychic abilities for some reason.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Thor-Stryker posted:

The whole Reigen is a psychic doesn't sit-well with the first few episodes where he isn't reading Mob's mind and keeps having to lie to mob to hide his non-spirit powers while also being super-impressed with Mob's powers.

Unless he's sealed away his psychic abilities for some reason.

We also see him looking at Dimple from his perspective and we can confirm he can't see him.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

We also see him looking at Dimple from his perspective and we can confirm he can't see him.

Well yeah, we've gone over this before. Low level spirits like Dimple are just far too beneath Reigen for him to be able to see them.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

this is the entirety of my commentary on saitama

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What does it mean and what does it have to do with Mob Psycho?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

• Locked thread