Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Collard Goddamn Greens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

By 10pm tonight I will have worked 42 hours between Friday, Saturday, and today. This is how I spent my birthday weekend.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Soul food/ southern: deviled eggs, chow-chow, fried green tomatoes. Serve sweet tea and make it southern style (adding the sugar while the tea is still hot). Also make sure your biscuits are proper southern biscuits and not some Yankee abomination.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

Verisimilidude posted:

By 10pm tonight I will have worked 42 hours between Friday, Saturday, and today. This is how I spent my birthday weekend.

Today is my birthday. It's also my 7th day in a row and a double. But I got the fall dinner menu organized/done/out of the way. Next week is brunch menu.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

cods posted:

Today is my birthday. It's also my 7th day in a row and a double. But I got the fall dinner menu organized/done/out of the way. Next week is brunch menu.

Sorry you're working on your birthday dude, that sucks.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

cods posted:

But I got the fall dinner menu organized/done/out of the way

I should start giving myself birthday presents, too.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

cods posted:

Birthday buddies! Yesterday was mine, and tomorrow I will be on the 6th day of my week. Hoping to get Tuesday off to pack since I'm moving soon.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

cods posted:

But I got the fall dinner menu organized/done/out of the way. Next week is brunch menu.

We are supposed to have rough drafts of next year's menus submitted to corporate for review by the end of next month. Fffffffffffffff.

I envy smaller operations sometimes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Verisimilidude posted:

cods posted:

Verisimilidude posted:

Birthday buddies! Yesterday was mine, and tomorrow I will be on the 6th day of my week. Hoping to get Tuesday off to pack since I'm moving soon.

Why the gently caress do you guys do this to yourselves?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Capitalism I suppose.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trebuchet King posted:

re soul food, kneejerk thoughts:

skillet cornbread
sweet potato pie
chicken fried steak
biscuits and gravy
cracklins

Collards and ham hocks. COLLARDS AND HAM HOCKS.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Not sure if it's necessarily soul food, but would chicken and waffles fit in that category? Super easy to make, and if you already have gravy around you can dip the chicken before putting it on the waffle and people will eat that poo poo up.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Phanatic posted:

Collards and ham hocks. COLLARDS AND HAM HOCKS.

honestly i'd rather see mustard greens over collards

oh yeah, hoppin' john, there's something that's good too.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Shrimp and cheesy grits
Fried catfish
Corn fritters
Mac & cheese
Alligator

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Shrimp and cheesy grits
Fried catfish
Corn fritters
Mac & cheese
Alligator

Mustard greens and smoked ham hocks
Blue crab soup
Fried turtle
Chicken and dumplings
Sweet potatoe hash
Creamed corn
Green bean casserole
Fried catfish
Peach cobbler

This is just a list of things my Grammy used to make us.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The draft soul food menu is due by the end of next month? Would it be worth it to have a soul food take on french fries so you can have the same potatoes do double duty?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

soul food take on french fries

Toss fries in blackening seasoning, serve with brown gravy or pork fat pepper gravy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Skwirl posted:

Because the industry has literally no conception of the idea of work/life balance, and people are dumb enough to buy into it.

That's all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I mean last month I picked up a bazillion shifts so I made a promise to myself to pick up zero shifts this month, so far I haven't broke my promise.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

I mean last month I picked up a bazillion shifts so I made a promise to myself to pick up zero shifts this month, so far I haven't broke my promise.

I booked next weekend off from all 3 jobs!

To volunteer help the local game store owner run the Magic: The Gathering pre-release this weekend since he tore his Achilles' tendon and can't walk for the next six months.

Upside: I finally have a day where I can sleep in!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Mezzanon posted:

I booked next weekend off from all 3 jobs!

To volunteer help the local game store owner run the Magic: The Gathering pre-release this weekend since he tore his Achilles' tendon and can't walk for the next six months.

Upside: I finally have a day where I can sleep in!

:lol:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Because the industry has literally no conception of the idea of work/life balance, and people are dumb enough to buy into it.

That's all.

That's not totally true. Lots of new blood definitely do, and that's why we're stagnating so badly. The restaurant industry is going to crash in 2-3 years pretty badly, and maybe something will happen about it.

I personally refuse to be at work if I have a personal thing to take care of. My boss isn't that kind of guy, he's a passive agressive manbaby who can't handle the fact that people don't want to be at work 24/7.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That's not totally true. Lots of new blood definitely do, and that's why we're stagnating so badly. The restaurant industry is going to crash in 2-3 years pretty badly, and maybe something will happen about it.

I personally refuse to be at work if I have a personal thing to take care of. My boss isn't that kind of guy, he's a passive agressive manbaby who can't handle the fact that people don't want to be at work 24/7.

It took me a couple years of having a desk job to remember that overtime isn't mandatory, and taking time off and expecting to not be bothered is a thing that can happen.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

RandomPauI posted:

The draft soul food menu is due by the end of next month? Would it be worth it to have a soul food take on french fries so you can have the same potatoes do double duty?

That was someone else that had menus due. I just got out of my menu meeting (I was the guy that asked about soul food) and we're going to continue to figure out a new menu over the course of this week, prep it Monday, and launch it Tuesday.

I appreciate all the everything that you've all thrown at me so far. Thanks!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

That's something I want to try and figure out at this new restaurant. The chef is apparently a bit of a workaholic (he works 7 days a week), and he said straight up he'd work me hard (50-55 hours a week) but he seemed relatively reasonable at least in regards to me having some autonomy if I'm reliable, do things the way he wants them done, and don't let my ego get in the way of his.

Honestly though, right now I need the money bad. NYC is crazy expensive, and unless I want to live in the boonies two hours away or share an apartment with crazy people (which I'm doing currently and trying to leave) I need to work my butt off in this biz. At least until I finish school for occupational therapy and can make $60k/year working 6 hour days.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

That's something I want to try and figure out at this new restaurant. The chef is apparently a bit of a workaholic (he works 7 days a week), and he said straight up he'd work me hard (50-55 hours a week) but he seemed relatively reasonable at least in regards to me having some autonomy if I'm reliable, do things the way he wants them done, and don't let my ego get in the way of his.

Honestly though, right now I need the money bad. NYC is crazy expensive, and unless I want to live in the boonies two hours away or share an apartment with crazy people (which I'm doing currently and trying to leave) I need to work my butt off in this biz. At least until I finish school for occupational therapy and can make $60k/year working 6 hour days.

Everything about this sounds like your new boss is breaking hella labor and wage laws. Fifty hours a week shouldn't be a normal schedule, people literally died for a forty hour work week. I get it when people making six figures work insane hours, or filling in for emergencies, but expecting fifty hours a week out of a line cook as a normal schedule is loving insane and the reason he needs new ones constantly.

Also, what's the loving point of being in New York if you have no free time to enjoy it.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

[..] expecting fifty hours a week out of a line cook as a normal schedule is loving insane and the reason he needs new ones constantly.

thanks for that gutshot of a reminder that this very recently was my life for the better part of a year

coming up on the 1 year anniversary of being promised a management role, which then became a shared position, which promptly evaporated into thin air. KM had the chutzpah to say last week how I'm "not currently" paid to tell other cooks how to do their job while strongly implying that I should. that's when I decided to stop giving them free advice and just be the fuckin line cook I'm paid to be

*ahem* gently caress You Pay Me, Smoke Weed Everyday, namaste y'all

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Verisimilidude posted:

Wait.... You want to work for 50-55 hours a week and take home 500 bucks? That's a terrible loving deal.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Wait.... You want to work for 50-55 hours a week and take home 500 bucks? That's a terrible loving deal.

With overtime, tips, and after taxes it's about 700/week, conservatively.

And yeah, it's literally the best paying job I've ever had. I'm a cook with less than a year's worth of experience, and I need to pay rent, tuition, and put some money into my savings. Don't get me wrong, if another job came my way that paid more I'd jump at the opportunity, but I'm gonna take what I can get. I'd love a 40hr/week desk job, but I haven't found one that I'm qualified for and pays decently. If y'all know anyone, please send me their info.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I don't know why I do this to myself.

Oh yeah, because I had next months rent paid one week into September and I'm trying to pay off 8 grand in credit card debt

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

With overtime, tips, and after taxes it's about 700/week, conservatively.

And yeah, it's literally the best paying job I've ever had. I'm a cook with less than a year's worth of experience, and I need to pay rent, tuition, and put some money into my savings. Don't get me wrong, if another job came my way that paid more I'd jump at the opportunity, but I'm gonna take what I can get. I'd love a 40hr/week desk job, but I haven't found one that I'm qualified for and pays decently. If y'all know anyone, please send me their info.

How old are you? because if you're 26 you can get a Pell grant for school without your parents income being counted against your eligibility. Also how's the tipping work if you're in the kitchen?

I seriously don't understand how you kitchen folk put up with this bullshit.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Skwirl posted:

How old are you? because if you're 26 you can get a Pell grant for school without your parents income being counted against your eligibility. Also how's the tipping work if you're in the kitchen?

I seriously don't understand how you kitchen folk put up with this bullshit.

I'm 29, and now I'm gonna apply to this immediately. Thanks for the heads up!

I deal with it because mentally it keeps my mind busy and when my mind isn't busy I tend to get depressive and bored. I told my new boss straight up that I want Tuesday and Friday nights free so I can chill with my fencing friends, and honestly in comparison to my last schedule this new one should be a cake walk.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
Today I turned around to see a barista and a cook underneath the counter, vaping in the open kitchen.

That's my whole story.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Naelyan posted:

Hey industry friends. So, I've taken a position at a mid-range ($16-28ish entrees) southern soul food place. I know how to cook things and smoke things and stuff, but don't know much about actual proper soul food. Does anyone have any online reading they would recommend (book recommendations are welcome as well, but I have a menu meeting on Sunday that I'd like to be able to bring an idea or two to) or restaurant menus to look through? I'm in Canada, so nobody knows poo poo about real soul food up here anyway, but the exec/owner spends a lot of time in Louisiana/Missouri/etc and knows his stuff. I would like to have at least some kind of an original thought to contribute, so if people have any ideas or favourite restaurants in the south that I could look up for some inspiration/learning, that'd be great. We need to do a pretty thorough menu overhaul because the head chef that I'm kinda-sorta replacing was a complete incompetent and lazy shitbird who just underseasoned the gently caress out of literally everything I just ate when I went there tonight, and also a lot of the menu is pretty loving boring. Normally I'd be a lot more prepared and have had more time to research (and not ask the internet to do my homework for me), but it ended up by being kind of a quick move and I've got hours and hours of office poo poo to get caught up on before I leave my current place (in two days) (while working 12 hour days in the kitchen) so time is kind of short.

you gotta kinda just know it in your bones. southern food is dead simple, but also very regional, close to heart, and it's really really easy to accidentally make mediocre.

I went to Gulf Shores, AL over the weekend and taught someone how to make fried okra properly (I'm texas/georgia, she was alabama - no clue why she didn't know how to make fried okra) - and she taught me her mum's smothered okra recipe.

fried okra though right? dead simple dish. you slice up okra, make a mix of cornmeal, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, black pepper, and salt (and/or whatever seasonings you're partial to) - toss in cornmeal, shake off extra, fry in a shallow pan of oil until it stops sizzling / almost looks burnt.

but, if you go to like 80% of lovely restaurants and order fried okra, you'll get some breaded, completely bland unseasoned sysco bullshit with the breading practically falling off the effectively steamed okra.

it's just like that for most southern food. there's fried chicken, and then there's fried chicken that is brined / marinated in buttermilk, actually tastes good, and is properly executed.

there's creamed corn that is bullshit, and then creamed corn that is actually good. there's etouffee that tastes like starch and MSG, and then there's etouffee cooked by someone who has been doing it their whole goddamn life, used all the proper ingredients, and that will make your soul sing. ditto for BBQ, etc.

dunno, I know that isn't hugely helpful - but the devil is in the details. you've probably already had your meeting though anyways, so I guess I wasn't going to contribute anything meaningful. good luck with your new position, let us know how it goes!

ps just watch justin wilson videos and let da souf soak in ya blood via osmosis :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI4Ra-jxdrY

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
oh also I'm an idiot who can't just suggest actual menu items

fried plantains
okra (because I don't think anyone else suggested it, recipe pre-supplied!)
I'll second biscuits and gravy - but read up on sawmill gravy. props if you can pull off red-eye gravy, but this is hard for even folks who know their poo poo
pickled okra motherfucker
succotash (light on the beans, heavy on the corn - I'll throw in zucchini or a squash myself, and add cracklins on top for some next level poo poo)
if you're the 16-28$ kinda place, a thick cut berkshire pork chop cooked mid-rare/medium is a beautiful thing.
pimento cheese in general
chicken fried anything
campy wedge salads with ranch, red onions, tomatoes, and bacon
chicken livers
country ham
froglegs (though don't actually do this, I've never had them done well in a restaurant)

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 19, 2016

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
The green beans need to be cooked in the left over bacon grease from breakfast. Also throw in any left over pork roast bits from the night before.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The French spot I work at as a server/bartender does great poo poo with frog legs. Brine them in herbs/salt/peppercorns, then pull them out of the brine straight into flour to coat, then dip back in the brine, then in the flour, then in the fryer. Serve with roasted garlic aioli.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
It's been a while since I posted here but I have to tell you the terrible bad thing. I work in pizza and have for a very long time. I work for a franchise of like ten stores. Anyway.

We're having a GM change over (from me to someone else, long story, not really my fault, probs retalliation for OSHA/injury poo poo, I have a lawyer, blah blah blah) and the new guy doesn't know how to do things so the DM is doing a lot.

He dropped the ball so hard I'm out of and/or will run out of 8 things tomorrow. 8 important things. Like dough for pizza. And pepperoni. I only have a 90 pie order (that I don't have dough for) to worry about on top of this. For fucks sake. I could have done the drat truck order like I've done dozens of times and this wouldn't have happened. Oh and apparently I had health insurance since August 1 and they just charged me for it on my last check. I have yet to receive any information and I've been using my old insurance this whole time?

Either this is fixed by the time I come in tomorrow or I'm done.

Edit for fun:

Last night I had an extremely drunk customer come in and tell me she wanted to "show me a trick" then started trying to climb on top of the counter. First time in years I've had to threaten to kick someone out, her friend had to physically restrain her. I don't know what the trick was but I'm certain it would have ended in a head injury of some kind.

Silver Nitrate fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 19, 2016

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

the more i think about a recent firing and its context and lead-up to the more I'm feeling like this place...fosters complacency, maybe? like everyone (myself included) just gets comfortable and stops trying to up their game as consistently.

For a small op is there anything reasonably easy to do to start effecting a change in that regard across the board, or should I just let the coziness be for everyone else's sake and try and find a greater challenge for myself?

Sorry, I'm really philosophical today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Trebuchet King posted:

the more i think about a recent firing and its context and lead-up to the more I'm feeling like this place...fosters complacency, maybe? like everyone (myself included) just gets comfortable and stops trying to up their game as consistently.

For a small op is there anything reasonably easy to do to start effecting a change in that regard across the board, or should I just let the coziness be for everyone else's sake and try and find a greater challenge for myself?

Sorry, I'm really philosophical today.

give use details and context.

• Locked thread