Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'd just say that cutting existing government pensions that people are drawing (if that's the plan) is an extremely lovely thing to do because people spent their entire career (decades and decades) planning for and relying on that being there because they were told it would be (and probably making less money working for the government but I'm not going to press that claim too much) and if you then pull the rug out from under them it's basically creating instant poor people for no good reason. It's a dumb bad and evil thing to do to people.

It's also probably such a small drop in the bucket of government spending that I feel like it's just another to try to legitimize cutting government spending when the real desire is "gently caress paying taxes but people will get mad if me, a hugely rich person, demands to pay no taxes and let the debt increase so I'll say we need to reduce spending as well and gently caress these people who are worse off than me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

vyelkin posted:

The Onion is ahead of its time as always.

To be fair, inspiration is what gets out the voters.

Except the ones who are inspired by sheer terror of the other guy, of course. So white and minority voters, respectively.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So all the NYC wounded are out of the hospital. The gov is calling it "terrorism" but not "international terrorism."

My guess is white guy.

Is this what came out of the press conference or has that not happened yet?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

vyelkin posted:

Yeah it's funny how people criticize the US's corporate tax rate as being higher than that of Nordic welfare states while ignoring that the Nordic states have significantly higher top marginal income tax rates, and that that's a conscious choice: they set their corporate taxes low (relative to other European countries at least) in order to attract corporations to set up in Sweden, but then set their personal income taxes high so that the jobs created by those corporate investments contribute a lot to the welfare state. It's actually a pretty clever system.

The US (and Canada) on the other hand does the opposite: high corporate taxes with lots of loopholes and low income taxes. It's almost like it's a system set up to benefit rich people who can afford good tax lawyers rather than a coherent system designed to benefit the overall welfare of society.

You're neglecting that those other countries also have very high sales taxes that generate a lot of revenue (which is a bad thing, since sales taxes are inherently regressive).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Dork457 posted:

Is this what came out of the press conference or has that not happened yet?

As far as I know there hasnt been a press conference since last night.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

fishmech posted:

You're neglecting that those other countries also have very high sales taxes that generate a lot of revenue (which is a bad thing, since sales taxes are inherently regressive).

This is the worst thing about my state (Washington). We don't have an income tax so instead we have stupidly high sales and sin taxes. For a "progressive" state its tax system is regressive as gently caress.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I bet the NYC bombing was some worthless incel /pol/ pepe idiot trying to stage an attack to give Trump a boost.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

fishmech posted:

This is true and it is bad, and yet still those other countries' tax regimes are better than the American one.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Noam Chomsky posted:

I bet the NYC bombing was some worthless incel /pol/ pepe idiot trying to stage an attack to give Trump a boost.

I'm honestly surprised this isn't more of a thing. The idiots over at r/The_Dolan are definitely stupid enough to try something like this.

Then again most of them are 12 years old so I guess it makes sense.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Without fail USPOL starts its "please be a white guy" chant after each attack. What was the last one, Mr "save the babies" abortion shooter in colorado that killed a few cops months before it was en vogue?

Please dont ban pressure cookers Obama/hillary/trump. :ohdear: I still havent owned one yet, and want that slow cooked goodness in my life.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Without fail USPOL starts its "please be a white guy" chant after each attack. What was the last one, Mr "save the babies" abortion shooter in colorado that killed a few cops months before it was en vogue?

Well there was that Dylan Roofe guy...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

We have no idea who it was, why it was done, and only that it's really unusual and thankfully didn't do much damage. We'll see what happens when there's been more investigation.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Please dont ban pressure cookers Obama/hillary/trump. :ohdear: I still havent owned one yet, and want that slow cooked goodness in my life.

I'd rather bad things not happen.

But they do. And this one did. And when bad things like this happen, there are basically two possible causes, when you dismiss the less likely ones;
1. It was a minority perpetrator in which case the narrative will focus on it and use it to fan the fires of xenophobia and bigotry.
2. It was a white person in which case the worst case scenario is it is quickly forgotten and ignored, or the best case it might actually force some accountability from the Right (lol no)

Given those two scenarios, I don't think it's unreasonable that people would hope it is the latter. I mean, what else is there to do? Hope that a time traveler retroactively stops the bad thing from having happened?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

lozzle posted:

I'm honestly surprised this isn't more of a thing. The idiots over at r/The_Dolan are definitely stupid enough to try something like this.

Then again most of them are 12 years old so I guess it makes sense.

I don't think those guys are candidates for terrorism however the readers of r/the_donald are candidates to be the first subreddit to fall victim to multiple PayPal scams ran by mods who then peace out from the internet

The latest scam involves a supposed super PAC that hasn't filed any legal documentation but is already accepting donations

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

MattD1zzl3 posted:

:goonsay:

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
https://twitter.com/AlanKestrel750/status/777361954000236544

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Ignoring the actual practical implications, lowering the corporate tax while severing pensions, social security, and social support is predicated on the idea that corporate America provides more to society than the people of which it consists.

The whole point of high corporate tax, ESPECIALLY with regard to small business, is that corporations are not people. Your company can go bankrupt and the people employed can be protected by the system and have a safety net to fall into. Entropy is endemic to an entrepreneurial system and levering people's livelihood as the collateral for the failure of a business is literally the most loving idiotic idea ever.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Luna Was Here posted:

I don't think those guys are candidates for terrorism however the readers of r/the_donald are candidates to be the first subreddit to fall victim to multiple PayPal scams ran by mods who then peace out from the internet

The latest scam involves a supposed super PAC that hasn't filed any legal documentation but is already accepting donations

You don't think the posters in /r/the_donald are candidates for terrorism when most mass shootings have been perpetrated by young, angry, white incels?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Obama no longer needs an anger translator. :toot:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This WaPo article feels like something out of the Onion: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/guns-and-sodas/2016/09/17/805e0db4-79e9-11e6-bd86-b7bbd53d2b5d_story.html?tid=sm_tw

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Too bad this isn't headline news because of the poo poo in NY. Obama better be serious that he'll be devoting the next 7 weeks to campaigning for Hillary because he is her biggest asset. He can also be her attack dog against Trump while she stays above the fray.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

vyelkin posted:

This is true and it is bad, and yet still those other countries' tax regimes are better than the American one.

I'm just pointing out, it's one of the reasons they can "afford" the lower corporate tax rates.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Holy poo poo. I hope to see a lot more of this between now and November.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cool. "Care about me because I'm black and my legacy is turning to poo poo because of Syria and remember, your kids are still getting gunned down in the street by cops with no solution in sight."

Inspiring!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Last Year of Term Obama is the best Obama. He says what we need to hear: Trump is a disaster and we all need to vote to prevent him from getting into power.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If more of this doesn't get people fired up again, nothing will.

Brb signing up to go do more voter registration.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

MattD1zzl3 posted:

The only thing more constant than this thread's desire to not see minorities persecuted is you threadshitting every time something like this happens. That you think it's some sick burn is pretty amusing though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

fits my needs posted:

Cool. "Care about me because I'm black and my legacy is turning to poo poo because of Syria and remember, your kids are still getting gunned down in the street by cops with no solution in sight."

Inspiring!

gently caress off, seriously.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

fits my needs posted:

Inspiring!

Wow, that's some impressive salt.

(BTW he's reminding people that any progress we made will be completely gutted if we lose and they control everything, not that)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fits my needs posted:

Inspiring!

Deplorable

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Personally I hope the bomber was a gypsy

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

gently caress off, seriously.

That's constructive. For all of Obama's auspices of helping his fellow African Americans, for most of his programs aimed at them have had negligible effects. Or they are like the "My Brother's Keeper" program which turned out to be a gimme to the kids of well-connected elite black families.

Sorry that Obama's legacy doesn't really match up with his or your reality.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

greatn posted:

Personally I hope the bomber was a gypsy

Half-Israeli, half-Palestinian Mexican citizen who is also a Mormon and registered member of the Green Party imo

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'm gonna focus on the least-retarded part of this post and tell you that slowcooker =/= pressurecooker

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

fits my needs posted:

That's constructive. For all of Obama's auspices of helping his fellow African Americans, for most of his programs aimed at them have had negligible effects. Or they are like the "My Brother's Keeper" program which turned out to be a gimme to the kids of well-connected elite black families.

by and large the vast majority of black people approve of Obama but I'm sure they appreciate how offended you're getting on their behalf

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

fits my needs posted:

You're using the word "auspices" wrong in an attempt to appear intelligent, how embarrassing.

Also, sorry that the President isn't a combination of a Black Panther member, and the actual superhero Black Panther, capable of detecting and neutralising every racist cop in America

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

fits my needs posted:

oh poo poo you mean obama isn't a wizard? drat...

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fits my needs posted:

I'd call a reduction of black unemployment from 12.7 to 8.8 % to be a non-negligible effect, just to cite one example. He didn't do it all himself but the economy and job markets have really improved for blacks during his tenure.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

fits my needs posted:

Gee it's almost like we've had a Republican controlled Congress hellbent on blocking literally any attempt to actually govern the country since 2010.

lozzle fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lozzle posted:

Gee it's almost like we've had a Republican controlled Congress hellbent on blocking literally any attempt to actually govern the country since 2010.

It was 2008 when they vowed to go down that path; Obama wasn't even sworn in until 2009.

• Locked thread