Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

That Works posted:

Yes putting a person in charge of the weapons who makes threats and accusations publicly without evidence will maintain nuclear stability because

because nuclear stability is not so flimsy that vocal mean words will suddenly cause a nuclear holocaust or even bring us one toe towards nuclear holocaust. Trump is not the first person to go bluster and threaten and he wont be the last

this isn't the cold war

e: whats aggravating me about this is that we aren't even disagreeing that what he says is bad and dumb, you're just escalating it to hyperbolic absurdity which makes me want to argue against you, this entire discussion is internetleftism.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

all I know is I'm really glad to be a straight white person in the 3-5% because holy moley it's gonna suck real bad for anyone else, but lol @ the millions of poor idiots that thought trump was gonna help them after having his new hotel use robes made in china

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i'm almost positive that trump promised to nuke raqqa during the primaries

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

trump in his wisdom will refrain from using /threatening nukes and will release smallpox instead problem solved

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm sure China is warming up its missiles because a noted blowhard has blurted out some edgy nonsense to make sure his interview would get him big headlines.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm almost positive that trump promised to nuke raqqa during the primaries

No, that was thread poster Smoothrich

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Grey Fox posted:

Does this poll impart any useful information whatsoever that I'm missing, or did they send the statistics to a CIA blacksite to continue this horserace?

Obama won the same states by a total average of 50-48 fwiw

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

https://twitter.com/cbsnews/status/777520566937018368

can I assume the shocking dishonesty of this headline means that the media isn't mad at trump anymore

No, they still mad.

But real news has taken them off the trail for now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Neurolimal posted:

because nuclear stability is not so flimsy that vocal mean words will suddenly cause a nuclear holocaust or even bring us one toe towards nuclear holocaust. Trump is not the first person to go bluster and threaten and he wont be the last

this isn't the cold war

Generally the recent belligerents behind that bluster haven't had the ability to use it at will globally. Big difference from North Korea threatening a neighbor vs the USA threatening an undefined collective. Also lol if you don't think another cold war or nuclear deadlock is just never going to happen.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
trump thread's got a bad case of neurolimil right now

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
nothing matters

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

That Works posted:

Generally the recent belligerents behind that bluster haven't had the ability to use it at will globally. Big difference from North Korea threatening a neighbor vs the USA threatening an undefined collective. Also lol if you don't think another cold war or nuclear deadlock is just never going to happen.

it might happen if we discover a way to strike without second strikes happening (aka a magical power to launch nukes at every single other country and also in every ocean and also antarctica and detonating before anyone notices the wave of missiles), or a new magical war tech that we don't have the ability to identify (which was a big part of the scare and happened in the incident I mentioned where the chain of command broke, aka fulfilled its purpose)

if we seem to be creeping up on that instead of spending trillions on broken stealth fighters then I'll agree with you

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
idk I wonder how much of trump is just people having the collective memories of goldfish and forgetting what happened last time a republican was in the white house

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Al! posted:

trump thread's got a bad case of neurolimil right now

It's a terrible eye disease.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

uncurable mlady posted:

idk I wonder how much of trump is just people having the collective memories of goldfish and forgetting what happened last time a republican was in the white house

they need some memberberries op

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Neurolimal posted:

it might happen if we discover a way to strike without second strikes happening (aka a magical power to launch nukes at every single other country and also in every ocean and also antarctica and detonating before anyone notices the wave of missiles), or a new magical war tech that we don't have the ability to identify (which was a big part of the scare and happened in the incident I mentioned where the chain of command broke, aka fulfilled its purpose)

if we seem to be creeping up on that instead of spending trillions on broken stealth fighters then I'll agree with you

jesus christ shut up about nukes

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The problem is that how bad things got started really happening when Bush left office.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Neurolimal posted:

Decaptiation / SDI.

You're arguing that we aren't in a cold war anymore and then acting like nuclear policy of the present still works that way.

Anyway, time to watch football. Apologies to the rest of the thread for feeding a troll.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/777541410430091265
Yup, they're still mad.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

nice

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Neurolimal posted:

Kill you're parents.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

this isn't the cold war

e: whats aggravating me about this is that we aren't even disagreeing that what he says is bad and dumb, you're just escalating it to hyperbolic absurdity which makes me want to argue against you, this entire discussion is internetleftism.txt

the problem here is you hth timb duck

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

they changed the filter :(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zas posted:

they changed the filter :(

What was it?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

That Works posted:

Decaptiation / SDI.

You're arguing that we aren't in a cold war anymore and then acting like nuclear policy of the present still works that way.

Anyway, time to watch football. Apologies to the rest of the thread for feeding a troll.

thats because it does still work that way, everyone just realized that nobody wants to live in a nuclear holocaust, radars and safety measures were improved, and we stopped pretending communists were crazy bomb monsters, it didnt just suddenly evaporate into fat air

enjoy the football friend, it'll prolly be better than seriously arguing nukes in the idiot wastelands of c-span

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

https://twitter.com/cbsnews/status/777520566937018368

can I assume the shocking dishonesty of this headline means that the media isn't mad at trump anymore

Several reporters are already slamming CBS for the misleading headline, so I think it's fair to say they're still mad

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

https://twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/777522559709483008

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Quick note before I return to work: LAT isn't even an actual poll you nitwits, [i.e. it interviews the same group of people over and over again and weights overall response based on things like "enthusiasm." Also, note that the entire change in the poll has been shifted by like 10 African American respondents and possibly not even saying they'll vote Trump, just that their enthusiasm for Clinton is down.]

That is: LAT is an interesting barometer for a few things, but is not useful as an actual measure of where the race is.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

thats because it does still work that way, everyone just realized that nobody wants to live in a nuclear holocaust, radars and safety measures were improved, and we stopped pretending communists were crazy bomb monsters, it didnt just suddenly evaporate into fat air

enjoy the football friend, it'll prolly be better than seriously arguing nukes in the idiot wastelands of c-span

okay two quick points

1) you really shouldn't want to risk it, regardless of how much faith you have in the system as its set up, that's not something you loving risk if you can avoid it

2) if he's untrustworthy/not opposed to nukes, then that means he's more willing to use every other thing we have that can kill a lot of people and he won't care about casualties if he's talking about nukes since they aren't exactly precise

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kinda funny that reporter twitter immediately dog piles and shits on anyone who gives half an inch of ground to trumps bullshit. I'm just hoping it isn't to late.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Karl Sharks posted:

okay two quick points

1) you really shouldn't want to risk it, regardless of how much faith you have in the system as its set up, that's not something you loving risk if you can avoid it

2) if he's untrustworthy/not opposed to nukes, then that means he's more willing to use every other thing we have that can kill a lot of people and he won't care about casualties if he's talking about nukes since they aren't exactly precise

these are good points that I agree with

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

Quick note before I return to work: LAT isn't even an actual poll you nitwits, [i.e. it interviews the same group of people over and over again and weights overall response based on things like "enthusiasm." Also, note that the entire change in the poll has been shifted by like 10 African American respondents and possibly not even saying they'll vote Trump, just that their enthusiasm for Clinton is down.]

That is: LAT is an interesting barometer for a few things, but is not useful as an actual measure of where the race is.

i thought the same thing re: it being good to have if it's not paid much attention to other than enthusiasm, but polling is already a barometer for enthusiasm since if you feel good about your candidate, then you'll answer the call

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Also: https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/777346156070330368

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

the toons all got priced out to Riverside

haha

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:allears:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Karl Sharks posted:

i thought the same thing re: it being good to have if it's not paid much attention to other than enthusiasm, but polling is already a barometer for enthusiasm since if you feel good about your candidate, then you'll answer the call

differential non-response is a thing, and maybe the only thing that matters, but you hopefully try and control for it via your demographic weighting. The LAT flat out uses it as their major way of determining the race. My recollection based on the discussion that someone had about it is you could have someone be "down" in the poll with more people saying they'll vote him/her because their stated enthusiasm is on the whole lower than the other candidate.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

these are good points that I agree with

well, i think that's really the crux of anything people are saying against trump having nukes

yes, the chances are quite slim that they would actually fly under his presidency, but that's not the point behind people saying you don't want the finger on the button to be one that's so easily baited on twitter, it's a testament to his temperament/judgement, but it's more impactful if you talk about him letting nukes fly than how he'll be careless with airstrikes or something

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

How long before we get enough evidence to pin this bombinh and Clinton's pneumonia on Russian intelligence?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/777540670395392004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

differential non-response is a thing, and maybe the only thing that matters, but you hopefully try and control for it via your demographic weighting. The LAT flat out uses it as their major way of determining the race. My recollection based on the discussion that someone had about it is you could have someone be "down" in the poll with more people saying they'll vote him/her because their stated enthusiasm is on the whole lower than the other candidate.

yeah, i mean i can certainly see a place for a tracker like that, more legitimate information is always good imo, but the problem being i'd rather it not exist this cycle because it's seen as a legitimate, traditional poll that affects aggregates, etc.

• Locked thread