Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

omeg posted:

Make leveling masters at the start of league not cancer

What really makes me hate life is having to run back to the master after I've done the dumb quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I haven't played since 2.2, which was my first time playing. I played a blade vortex scion, a crit arc witch, a SRS witch, and a voltaxic LA/BR ranger - didn't really care for SRS or the ranger too much. What's a fun budget build that's topical these days?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Jinnigan posted:

Is there any melee skill that isn't just strictly outclassed by EQ? I really want to make a melee build but I'm having trouble finding a lategame viable melee build that costs under 1ex
Depends on your definition of late game i guess but I'm a filthy casual who's currently doing pure phys Flicker Strike (no oro) and I paid 1c for a 460 DPS Kondos, another 3c for my gloves I think, and like 3c for a pair of Blood Dance boots. So far on just four links it can do T7 maps without any issues (progression currently limited by free time and map drops). And there's plenty of scope to spend more currency for upgrades. Plus it's fun

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 18, 2016

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Dramatika posted:

I haven't played since 2.2, which was my first time playing. I played a blade vortex scion, a crit arc witch, a SRS witch, and a voltaxic LA/BR ranger - didn't really care for SRS or the ranger too much. What's a fun budget build that's topical these days?

Do some research into Essence Drain (assassin/trickster(Shadow), or Occultist (witch)). With the current essence league, it's possible to make a t7+ map capable character on like 20c or less investment in gear. (I'm level 66 currently, and I'm able to breeze through most level 72-76 level maps.)

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I've got 9.7k ES on my CI Occultist Essence Drainer, still using a 4link and have unlocked up to T6 maps in EHC. I'm super casual this league but it's working. Hit 83 today :toot:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Jinnigan posted:

Is there any melee skill that isn't just strictly outclassed by EQ? I really want to make a melee build but I'm having trouble finding a lategame viable melee build that costs under 1ex

It's probably outclassed by EQ but I'm having a lot of fun with a Sunder focused character running Glacial Hammer for single-target bosses. Clears packs in low level maps pretty effectively, only downside is using Multistrike can get you stuck in a bad position for a while swinging away depending on your attack speed.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was making a Barrage Volley Fire guy and then build of the week happen and all the good ranger leveling uniques are twice as expensive and Volley Fire is 30 chaos. gently caress you GGG

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Worst kind of cramp

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Jusupov posted:

Worst kind of cramp

At least this was taken out of the naming pool:

Edit: Although, Breeding Scum could be pretty funny. Filthy sexhavers!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ahh random name generators in arpgs....

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Budgie posted:

At least this was taken out of the naming pool:

Edit: Although, Breeding Scum could be pretty funny. Filthy sexhavers!

Is "Rebel" in the name pool? :haw:

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Oh poo poo these gloves are the tits for leveling. I know they work with attacks, how about...

On second glance, the extra damage seems to apply to the secondary effect of each herald (lightning strikes, etc) so if you can get those to proc regularly then GG, otherwise you'll probably get more raw damage from keeping the attack itself socketed.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 18, 2016

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Guys, I have a problem. I know Vaal Righteous Fire is terrible, but I don't want to take it off my bar, because it's hilarious

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Tarezax posted:

Guys, I have a problem. I know Vaal Righteous Fire is terrible, but I don't want to take it off my bar, because it's hilarious

Not sure you can call an ability that can literally one shot t16 guardian bosses terrible.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tarezax posted:

I don't think you know that at all.

It's a very good skill coupled with Vaal Pact.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Kild posted:

I don't think you know that at all.

It's a very good skill coupled with Vaal Pact.

Oh poo poo, really? It's terrible for me right now because I haven't built for it, but I'll look into that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Oh poo poo, really? It's terrible for me right now because I haven't built for it, but I'll look into that.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1628996

this build uses it very well

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thats a cool looking build

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Awesome! posted:

thats a cool looking build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxsGDLdk0Uo

ya it is

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my plan for character 2 this league was to do something es related (either whispering ice or ed) but now i might just have to do that instead

e: actually the change to conflux looks kind of annoying so i dunno. i hate mechanics like that ring in diablo 3 that cycles through all your damage types with a huge buff so your play revolves around grouping up mobs just waiting for the right cycle to roll around

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 18, 2016

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012
Something seems off here...

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
FUCKER STRIKE is my favorite ability. Also jesus how could something even go wrong to gently caress up kerning like that?

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone in standard essence need memory of awakening?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The so called impressive skilled tree web looked impressive at first until I realize I wasted my points leveling bow and arrow for my tank. I mean I was going strength until i realized it was more effective to use a bow and arrow on your tank than level str points and go melee and then you realize enemies are jumping on you later on so now and arrows are useless.

By now the damage has been done. Now I can appreciate Diablo3 for what it is and thank god I don't have to waste time on skill tree and its done automatic.
Now the other issue, there is no flag for your party members like there is in Diablo 3. So you cannot just simply teleport to your friends it don't work like that you must manually run and find your friends BWAHAHAHAHA. Are these people for real?
There is no floating names about your friend's head so you cannot even locate your friend in camp LOL and it has a ton of people in camp that is not even in your party. When my friend had to deal with this frustration he left in under 10 minutes and uninstalled it.

The people who are making this game loves to brag about them being hardcore ARPG fans but they lack customer service skills. Its not about what you want its about customers want and trust me customers do not want that. That hardcore ARPG design is annoying and a massive inconvenience in this day and age. Diablo 2 was good for its time but its horrid in this present time. POE is one of the worst Diablo 2 knock offs I have ever seen.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

The so called impressive skilled tree web looked impressive at first until I realize I wasted my points leveling bow and arrow for my tank. I mean I was going strength until i realized it was more effective to use a bow and arrow on your tank than level str points and go melee and then you realize enemies are jumping on you later on so now and arrows are useless.

By now the damage has been done. Now I can appreciate Diablo3 for what it is and thank god I don't have to waste time on skill tree and its done automatic.
Now the other issue, there is no flag for your party members like there is in Diablo 3. So you cannot just simply teleport to your friends it don't work like that you must manually run and find your friends BWAHAHAHAHA. Are these people for real?
There is no floating names about your friend's head so you cannot even locate your friend in camp LOL and it has a ton of people in camp that is not even in your party. When my friend had to deal with this frustration he left in under 10 minutes and uninstalled it.

The people who are making this game loves to brag about them being hardcore ARPG fans but they lack customer service skills. Its not about what you want its about customers want and trust me customers do not want that. That hardcore ARPG design is annoying and a massive inconvenience in this day and age. Diablo 2 was good for its time but its horrid in this present time. POE is one of the worst Diablo 2 knock offs I have ever seen.

Source your quotes

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I will admit it Path Of Exile is Horrible!!!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

You.....You definitely should not play games like this.....>Where did you ever consider that with a bow and arrow that strength would be the correct stat out of strength, DEXTERITY, and intelligence .......I mean seriously.....your fault....Then you proceed to tell us you built a Bow and arrow Tank......where and when have you ever seen a "Tank" use a bow and arrow....get a life and stick to d3 where you only get one good build per character......you wanna talk about bad games........Lets talk about D3.......I don't even have to say anything everyone know it blows dogs for quarters......whoever designed that game is dense.....and obviously never played D2......Atleast in d2 and Poe the maps change intensly.......you cant just mindlessly run bosses.....the only one you can is a tough sob so props if you can do Dominus on merciless.....any other difficulty is a waste of time to farm.

Basically though man .....I'm usually not so insulting but I'm glad you dont like the game..... I'm glad I dont have to end up with you in my party tanking with a bow......

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Geez, that quote is from '13.

Wonder what that guy thinks now.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
The same but more uses of the word cuck

Hauki
May 11, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Geez, that quote is from '13.

Wonder what that guy thinks now.

props if you can do dominus on merciless

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

dangerdoom volvo posted:

The same but more uses of the word cuck

This wordfilter will never not be funny

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Approximately how hard/expensive is CI to get rolling, and is it worth it?

I was watching Zizaran's Inquisitor Vaal Spark guy yesterday and it looked good, but I am kinda poor and also HC so I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

vOv posted:

You.....You definitely should not play games like this.....>Where did you ever consider that with a bow and arrow that strength would be the correct stat out of strength, DEXTERITY, and intelligence .......I mean seriously.....your fault....Then you proceed to tell us you built a Bow and arrow Tank......where and when have you ever seen a "Tank" use a bow and arrow....get a life and stick to d3 where you only get one good build per character......you wanna talk about bad games........Lets talk about D3.......I don't even have to say anything everyone know it blows dogs for quarters......whoever designed that game is dense.....and obviously never played D2......Atleast in d2 and Poe the maps change intensly.......you cant just mindlessly run bosses.....the only one you can is a tough sob so props if you can do Dominus on merciless.....any other difficulty is a waste of time to farm.

Basically though man .....I'm usually not so insulting but I'm glad you dont like the game..... I'm glad I dont have to end up with you in my party tanking with a bow......

This is made funnier to me by the fact that it's totally possible to be a very effective STR-based bow tank in POE, because the game has actually interestingly deep mechanics and build possibilities. Like it's better even than the guy defending the game realises...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Artificial Idiocy posted:

This is made funnier to me by the fact that it's totally possible to be a very effective STR-based bow tank in POE, because the game has actually interestingly deep mechanics and build possibilities. Like it's better even than the guy defending the game realises...

It is now, not sure it was back in beta though.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Lungboy posted:

It is now, not sure it was back in beta though.

Iron Grip marauders are one of the builds that's existed since closed beta. Can't actually remember what skill they used though; maybe lightning arrow? Split arrow sucked for a long time.

e: hosed up I've played this game for 4 years and still suck at it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jack the Lad posted:

Approximately how hard/expensive is CI to get rolling, and is it worth it?

I was watching Zizaran's Inquisitor Vaal Spark guy yesterday and it looked good, but I am kinda poor and also HC so I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Yes its worth and its pretty cheap w/ essences. You can probably spend less than 10c on all you gear and hit 8-9k ES.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Kild posted:

Yes its worth and its pretty cheap w/ essences. You can probably spend less than 10c on all you gear and hit 8-9k ES.

Huh! That sounds cool and way better than I was expecting, I've always wanted to try it.

Is there a particular build/guide you'd recommend?

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Doing all your maps with the Perandus mod is cool and good.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Artificial Idiocy posted:

last league was imo the highpoint with Reach of the Council Juggernauts doing Cores and Ubers etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Even back in the day, Lioneye's Glare, Iron Grip, Iron Reflexes life/armour bow marauders could be really good. My first character was an elemental bow tank with LA/GMP/Chain/LGoH/WED/FA and Static Blows notable passive for shocks even with Resolute Technique.

Edit: 3 stacks of shocks, no less

Artificial Idiocy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 19, 2016

• Locked thread