Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Blind Duke posted:

At least with a certain bachelor rear end in a top hat we have not met yet, you turn his rear end in a top hat shtick against him when married

I'd call him more troll than rear end in a top hat, and if you can't troll your spouse, who can you? ;p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Yeah, I'd definitely put his particular brand of humor light years ahead of any of the unfunny offensive garbage that leaves Doug's mouth during sleepovers, please don't equate the two.

E: with the possible exception of when the trolling is directed at Kiel, because that's just mean. Dude's too naive to understand not to take it seriously and too nice to deserve it, even if he's not really marriage material.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 17, 2016

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

thetruegentleman posted:

I probably like Forte the most (her "tough girl secretly afraid of ghosts" act is annoyingly cliche though, even if that's Rune Factory in a nutshell)

Yeah, it annoys me when a character who routinely slaughters abominations from beyond does the whole 'g-g-g-ghosts' thing, especially if it doesn't actually affect their performance against ghostly monsters. (See also Persona.)

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
It is the reason I never bothered with her, however... my otherwise very strong, independent mother who kills spiders, roaches and had a pet rat, jumps on chairs and screams over mice. It's not that unlikely for someone to have an unreasonable phobia despite being otherwise quite logical. I'd say her more annoying quirk is trying to deny their existence despite evidence to the contrary. It's one thing to be scared, it's another to deny that fear through denial of the existence of the thing you're very clearly afraid of.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For a moment, I thought you meant that your mom regularly denied the existence of mice.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It makes a bit more sense with some event-only backstory: Forte's fear of ghosts started after she, her dad, and Kiel regularly visited the spooky mansion to train, where Kiel was a bit too insistent on trying to lure ghosts out. Forte is heavily implied to have been freaked the gently caress out by actually seeing some, and coincidentally that's when she started being afraid of them. The end.

RF4 has a bad habit of putting explanations like that in events(which are completely random, so you might never see them), and oftentimes events for one bachelor/ette. So if you don't date the right person(or look up their events on youtube), or get lucky with events, a lot of this stuff will pass you by. It's not always stuff that's a major plot point in the events, either - what I spoilered is from a few throwaway lines in Kiel's and Forte's marriage events.

silversatyr posted:

It's one thing to be scared, it's another to deny that fear through denial of the existence of the thing you're very clearly afraid of.
I'm pretty sure that part's just Rune Factory exaggeration, though. Like Bado's laziness, or Porco's appetite, or Xiao managing to screw up basically everything she does.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
In Which My Human Pets Need To Level Grind

First day of fall.

There’s been a lot of talk about monsters recently, what with that whole Buddy Battle thing, but I honestly prefer human adventuring companions. You can form real lasting friendships with them, go on dates with your significant other to monster infested hellholes, it’s a real experience.

But more importantly, humans can heal. In the midgame, this is important.

That’s why I’m taking Forte and Margaret as my team for the rest of Act 1 (although it looks like Dolce is likely to win the poll, I don't know which girl I'll switch out for her in Act 2). Margaret is level 10. This is going to take some correcting.

Welcome to the Delirium Lava Ruins. Don’t let the adorable wildlife mislead you, this place is a hellhole.

It’s a pun, you see, because everything here is on loving fire.

Also, immortal plants that jump out of the ground to bite you if you step on them.

Also also, trapped treasure (and it isn’t even a good treasure, just a monster buffing spell).

Sure, Margaret gained a lot of experience being dragged through there, but right now this is less than ideal.

I went a-wandering along Autumn Road, and found the Revival Cave, and my good friend Ancient Bone. Ancient Bone is a reused boss from RF3, one of many standalone bosses scattered around the countryside. His schtick is that you can’t damage him, because he’s a skeleton. But if you hit the skeleton enough times…

…the bones will break off and the core that animates it will be exposed. You get to whale on it for a few seconds before it fires a gently caress-off laser that you have to run the hell away from, and then regenerates the bones. Rinse and repeat until boss explodes.

My reward for going through that is a pile of various colored herbs. Moderately useful! And I can do this every day.

I had forgotten until I went a-wandering that you can go west past the Lava Ruins to reach the winter area. This is kinda dangerous, since the monsters here are from a few dungeons in the future. But not so dangerous that I can’t explore.

That penguin could kick my rear end. Why risk it?

Winter Field. The largest seasonal field, which trades off against the fact that only a couple crops grow at their best in winter. Still, I can get some use out of this.

By which I mean lamp grass (a flower, despite the name). Other things will come later, but for now, lots of lamp grass.

I’m beginning to think Venti just makes up new contests whenever she gets bored so that her little human pets will do entertaining things for her.

Everyone wolfs down every dish put in front of them.

Well that is the objective.

It would be rude if it wasn’t so perfectly accurate.

Whosoever eats the most within the time limit wins! Quite simple, no? Everyone will begin on my signal. Try to be the first to grab your desired food item. There will be many fruits, but dishes have a higher point value.

There are also giant fruits, worth more than regular fruit but less than a cooked dish.

Best to avoid the dreaded Failed Dish, however! Also, please note that eating in this contest works a bit differently than usual.

I was going to say that they mixed up engorge with gorge, but the dictionary says both are acceptable here. Bah.

Unfortunately, the actual contest was lost to deduplication. I either need to start doing that by hand or find a better program than Visipics to handle it.

Little guy can eat a lot, it’s kind of surprising.

Big fat guy can eat a lot more, less surprising. But entertaining.

Because I’m the loving prince, that’s why.

As usual, the reward is a chest full of cooking bread, a stat booster, and some vender trash.

It’s not common for the game to actually reference events after they finish, but this is a nice touch here.

"Oh? I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about, milady."

...Pico? Remember when Mama and Papa were still alive, and we pulled all sorts of little practical jokes together? You would always pretend you had no idea what they were talking about when they scolded us, just like now.

"Um, I-I can't say I know what you're talking about."

The relationship between Dolce and Pico was probably a lot cuter when Dolce was a kid. Unless Pico acted exactly the same then, in which case it gets really loving creepy and we need an adult here!

"I am an adult."

Maybe?

Naturally, another event starts the next day. I don’t know if the game spawns these more often when I spend more time in town (actually, I do know, it does nothing of the sort. More on this when I’m pitching screaming fits about how long it takes to get the event that starts act 3 to start). At least nobody important is involved this time.

And who the hell would do anything on Kiel’s say-so?

Yep! He said it was nice and warm!

Kiel, why did you suggest she sleep in front of the inn?

Um, she asked me to tell her of any warm spots I knew of.

And so you mentioned the inn.

Yeah.

That was physically painful. It hurt me to read it.

Ah, I see.

Ha ha! That's Xiao Pai's accent!

Hee hee! ♪

Ha ha ha, it’s funny that she talks differently from the rest of us! She should learn to talk good American like we do!

Erm... In any case, sleeping here makes you an obstacle to others, so let's not do it again, okay?

Okay!

Good.

Oh! Have you two heard yet?

Heard what?

About Bado's brand new clearance item! It's called "The Glove That Can Grab Anything."

Why's it a clearance item if it's brand new?

Amber can make some very astute observations when she wants to.

Oh goody, the worst con man in the world is trying another scam. I can’t tell if him being so bad at it makes it more or less funny. It feels like he would be really annoying if he was better at scamming people, but I also feel like he wouldn’t be trying to scam them so often if he wasn’t capable of following up.

You know, in normal towns, when a person drops to the ground and falls asleep in front of you, they get some loving medical attention.

Runey rain (a dumb name of my own invention) has come again, bringing me a field full of onions (for yet another request that will make more vegetable seeds available) and carrots (for my curry empire). The grass is for the monsters. Sadly, my monsters are working so hard that grass alone cannot sustain them. I pump a lot of whatever cooked food or healing potions I have on hand into them to keep this place running. I’m a job creator, Ventuswill knows I can’t be bothered to do my own farmwork anymore.

Yep, more seeds. Pineapple, which is good for both profit and churning out rune orbs, but I’m gonna need to be rich enough to keep a field at max health and max speed to get decent results.

I have enough points to unlock the next contest, yet another fishing contest. I’ll have plenty in time for the Handicraft contest and Turnip Flurry as well.

These people have a strange obsession with turnips.

Repeat a whole bunch. Soon I’m going to be producing so much curry that it won’t be viable to sell it one at a time through the shop anymore.

Despite being my sworn enemy, Doug still has requests for me. Also, I had this done like a month ago.

This unlocked another flower seed, oddly enough. Ironleaf flowers can be thrown at enemies to do a piddly amount of damage (maybe it gets better with throwing skill, but I doubt it).

What we have here is a failure to communicate! Because salmon in Japanese is sake, and the well-known Japanese alcoholic beverage is also sake, and this joke really doesn’t work if you translate it, so the team clearly just gave up and went with that punchline instead.

Oh, those? Hang on a sec... They're all in here.

Wow! You've got a whole bunch of them left!

You're telling me. By the way, I changed these into new "Gloves That Can Grab Various Things."

Just these?

Yeah. I couldn't make too many of the "Grab Anything" gloves.

Oh. That's too bad. So what kind of "various" stuff can they grab?

Things like pot handles that are hot. Or things that are too cold to hold. Or things that are so dirty you don't want to touch them.

How are those different from normal gloves?

Would you like to try a pair out?

He’s trying so hard to run a scam. You have to appreciate that. He’s working harder to give away these gloves than he ever has to actually sell me something. Giving away a pair to somebody to be seen using them would be a great idea… if the product was worth a drat.

Hell, he should go into business with me. Between my ability to gather materials and make stuff and his ability to sell things at a markup, we’d both be rich.

Can I have it?

Sure, I guess. I've got plenty to go around, after all. But in exchange, you'll have to figure out yourself which things you can grab with it.

Okay! ♪

You’ll never figure it out with that attitude!

Both trust what people say way too quickly. But Kiel just tells everybody what he heard, while Amber will actually go out and do it. That makes them totally different from each other.

Both of those attitudes are pretty dangerous, if you stop to think about it.

And even Bado agrees with me that Amber is a loving child. Also Kiel, but nobody likes Kiel.

Maybe I should make him a dish using carrots. Or maybe sing a carrot song?

I think that latter option might just annoy him.

Both options sound kinda racist. Just because he’s a horse doesn’t mean he automatically likes… oh, right, he does like carrots. Still, maybe get him a new tackle box or something.

More level grinding with my old buddy Ancient Bone.

And special guest stars the Mamadoodles of Cluck-Cluck Nest (in the south part of Selphia Plains, I did say I’d be back someday).

And even a brief trip back into the Lava Ruins, to grind on Buffaloo (Buffamoo’s bigger, angrier, non-milk producing brother). This actually went badly after Margaret left for the night. How badly?

Jones has some complicated formula for how much he charges, and it came up more than I got. Thankfully, he won’t make me work off the debt.

gently caress you Doc, I’m immortal!

NEXT TIME: Holidays, get-rich quick schemes done right, and the mystery of Amber Watson.

Current up to date vote count:
Amber 1
Clorica 1
Dolce 18
Forte 6
Margaret 16
Xiao Pai 1

The pointy-eared women have both taken a commanding lead, with Dolce slightly ahead! I’ll get to the end of Act 1 eventually (I have to, there are less than 1500 screenshots left between here and where I last left off). So place your votes, place your bets and place your bribes now!

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 22, 2016

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If Nancy is running the clinic instead of Jones, (I think it's based on the time of day?) she only charges you half. There's also a discount if you wiped out while adventuring with your Boyfriend / Girlfriend.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

YggiDee posted:

If Nancy is running the clinic instead of Jones, (I think it's based on the time of day?) she only charges you half. There's also a discount if you wiped out while adventuring with your Boyfriend / Girlfriend.

Actually, Nancy lets you off without paying. And adventuring with your significant other or spouse does indeed get you a discount at the clinic.

I think the amount of money you have is tied into the formula for determining clinic costs. I'm also pretty sure I've broken the formula in some previous games by being too rich.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Oh hey, Ironleafs reminded me of one of the sillier things you can do in this game. You know those little birds that like to hang out around the square and fly off if you get close to them? If you sneak up on them slowly enough, you can actually pick them up. Like Ironleafs, they can be thrown to deal piddly damage, and if you're quick enough on the draw you can grab them again before they fly off. In theory, you could run through an entire dungeon using nothing but bird-based combat, though sadly the bird disappears whenever you enter a boss arena. Bird throwing is also the only way that I know of to actually attack villagers, rather than just reducing their hp by feeding them literal poison, so feel free to spend a day harassing whoever you hate most.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

Oh hey, Ironleafs reminded me of one of the sillier things you can do in this game. You know those little birds that like to hang out around the square and fly off if you get close to them? If you sneak up on them slowly enough, you can actually pick them up. Like Ironleafs, they can be thrown to deal piddly damage, and if you're quick enough on the draw you can grab them again before they fly off. In theory, you could run through an entire dungeon using nothing but bird-based combat, though sadly the bird disappears whenever you enter a boss arena. Bird throwing is also the only way that I know of to actually attack villagers, rather than just reducing their hp by feeding them literal poison, so feel free to spend a day harassing whoever you hate most.

I have been trying to find the appropriate time to bring this up since the beginning. I once tried to knock out Venti with a bird. I sat there for ten minutes bouncing the bird off her before I lost it.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Oh god he's going to swallow you whole! RUN ART RUN

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'll change my vote from Forte to Margaret, let's not get into a threeway that involves Pico.

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger
Voting Margaret

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Truthkeeper posted:

The relationship between Dolce and Pico was probably a lot cuter when Dolce was a kid. Unless Pico acted exactly the same then, in which case it gets really loving creepy and we need an adult here!

I am an adult.

Maybe?

I think you made a typo here. Pico's line should be:

"I am an adult."

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
What exactly was Doug requesting with the clover? Partly grow some clover and shovel it down into the fields instead of harvesting? Does that actually work and is there a min growth level required?

Truthkeeper posted:

You can from real lasting friendships with them

one of many standalong bosses scattered around the countryside.

Couple typo spots.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You have to use fully grown clover, and what you do is harvest it, drop one back onto the field, and whap it with your hoe. I don't know if you can actually do it instead of harvesting. Anyway one clover heals a 2x2 field back to full health, and you get multiple clovers per plant, so it's a good idea to stock up.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

YggiDee posted:

You have to use fully grown clover, and what you do is harvest it, drop one back onto the field, and whap it with your hoe. I don't know if you can actually do it instead of harvesting. Anyway one clover heals a 2x2 field back to full health, and you get multiple clovers per plant, so it's a good idea to stock up.

It does indeed work with a clover you haven't harvested yet, but as you pointed out, since tilling it while it's in the ground uses up the whole stack from that plant, it's kinda wasteful to do it that way. I suspect this is why corn only yields one ear per harvest, but nobody got the memo when it came time for clover.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Although clover takes forever to grow, and is useful in a few recipes, so you might as well just use corn for your field-healing needs.

...although I'll admit I had no idea you could till the clover after harvest and still get the effect. The more you know.

Zagglezig posted:

What exactly was Doug requesting with the clover? Partly grow some clover and shovel it down into the fields instead of harvesting? Does that actually work and is there a min growth level required?
The corn/clover has to be fully grown before tilling it into the ground does anything.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does the fisherhorse like getting bait? Like, worms and bugs and stuff?

Are those even things you can find in this game?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Voting Margaret because Pico seems annoying to deal with.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Changing my previous Forte vote to Dolce.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Glazius posted:

Does the fisherhorse like getting bait? Like, worms and bugs and stuff?

Are those even things you can find in this game?

Fishing in this game would be even more painful if I had to worry about bait. Dylas' favorite gifts are a handful of the rarest fish, along with sashimi made from them.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dylas likes milk dishes too, and his other favourite is Milk Porridge, which is just Milk + Rice. This was not an insignificant factor in choosing him.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Casting my vote for Clorica, because it's a lost cause but she's still the one I want dammit.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Sexually Insecure Cookie Day

So, I got a little nuts making curry, and then making that into curry bread.

How nuts did I get?

I went through my entire RP bar several times, healing to full over at the inn every time I ran out, until I had this going.

I’ll end up spending it all far too quickly though.

I kept a few arranged curry breads for the shop, of course.

But that’s enough of ruining economies with foreign cuisine, what’s going on in town?

Illuminata is doing stuff again. I feel like there should be an alarm to warn the townsfolk when Lumie is getting bored again.

Where's it coming from?

From everywhere! There's always a case happening somewhere. But I just can't seem to grab the right clues to solve them...

Oh, in that case, these might work.

Hm?

Nothing good can come of this.

What kind of things can it grab?

Various things.

Can they grab anything?

They can grab some stuff, but not other stuff.

I feel like I’m watching a really bad late-night infomercial.

...Whatever.

And now I feel like I’m playing Final Fantasy 8.

Well then, how about you go and grab a clue for me!

You got it, Holmes! ♪

I’d say it’s dangerous to bring a child there, but Amber was the most dangerous thing in that forest for a long time.

Why there?

Because I have a hunch there's a mystery happening there!

Your hunches frighten me.

Yeah, I’d better follow them so I can inevitably save whoever gets into trouble. Being a prince is a hard job.

Where did she run off to? Ah! Art! Have you seen Amber anywhere?

I very clearly just got here. After you. Coming from behind you.

No, I haven't.

Oh. Could you help me look for her, then?

I’m a very busy man, what with all of my many social engagements. Make it quick.

Thanks. Let's look deeper in the forest.

ILLUMINATA joined the party! If we were anywhere other than the very first dungeon, those stats would be worryingly useless.

The 3d models are still kinda creepy.

How the hell did she get cornered by a herd of Buffamoo? There aren’t even any Buffamoo in this place!

Amber! What's going on?!

I used the gloves to grab a Buffamoo tail. It got really...mad.

Well that's a case...of a bad idea!

When Illuminata tells you your idea is dumb…

YEEP!

She’s probably totally capable of fighting her own way out of there (certainly would be if I had leveled her at all), but still, I’m the prince, gotta do the hero thing.

Amber, are you ok—

No respect, no respect at all.

Geez, are you okay?! They didn't hurt you at all?

I'm fine. Sorry...I didn't mean to cause problems.

Sheesh. Still, that was a quite an impressive investigation, my little assistant!

Really?

Thanks to you grabbing that tail, we were able to solve the case.

I did it?

Yep, you sure did! Thanks to you, we were able to solve the Case of the Missing Amber!

You’d have to be pretty hard up to call any of what just happened a case.

If I hadn't had those gloves on, I wouldn't have been able to grab that tail.

Is there something about cows that makes you not want to grab their tails without gloves? I mean, I wouldn’t, but that’s because I’m a wuss.

Really?!

And if you hadn't grabbed that tail, this would never have happened! Which means--!!

I got what I deserved in the end?

Sounds about right to me.

Er...ahem. Anyway! Amber, I want you to make me a promise.

What?

Don't go off and do dangerous things all by yourself, okay? If you think you're in trouble, you call for me first thing. Got it?

If you’re going to run off doing something dangerous, you’re best off accompanied by the most irresponsible person in town.

Yeah!

Great! Now let's head home.

Oh yeah! Art!

Hm?

Oh, uh, you're welcome.

It’s too bad it isn’t Lumie taking notice of how awesome I am. Sadly, there’s only room in Illuminata’s heart for one love, and that will always be bad Sherlock Holmes impressions.

Y'know, I wonder how it all turned out for Bado. Y'know, the whole glove sale thing.

I think that probably went the way it always does.

The way it always does?

Yeah. You said it yourself a second ago.

I did?

He got what he deserved.

Cue laugh track and fade to black.

The next day though, something very important happens!

I got paid for my curry bread!

Also, I made very expensive fish. This would be a much better money maker than curry, but being able to catch high-priced fish isn’t reliable.

Unlocked the next festival for a little over a week from now.

And then I went a-wandering again.

I had better luck recruiting a fairy by pelting it with turnip seeds and weeds.

I stuck it in the Castlevania themed barn.

But enough of my distractions. You remember Venti’s buddy Leon that she wanted me to go rescue before this whole thing with the Rune Spheres started? And he was on top of a tower that I mentioned is several dungeons in the future?

I’m not allowed to go there anymore. The path is blocked now by this oversized and invulnerable monster gate. Nothing good can possibly come from this!

Also, my first batch of Lamp Grass is ready!

It’s VALENTINE’S DAY!

Now, what this means is that every girl will give me a cookie. It’s not actually a very interesting holiday in that respect. Except that I mixed it up with the reverse gender White Day from next month, in which I’m expected to hand out cookies.

And I already had a bunch of cookies made up. So I gave one to everybody.

This may have made some of my neighbors question my sexuality, or theirs.

Of course, every girl also had a cookie for me, but those conversations were a lot less interesting.

I also went out to the Fall field today and planted a little something.

Just some toyherb flowers and carrots.

And I pumped them full of all natural chemicals. Nothing interesting.

I forgot to save a cookie for Venti. Sorry Venti!

And a few days later…

Well, horticulture isn’t an exact science to begin with, even before you start tinkering with the building blocks of life itself. The point is, I got some ULTRA TOYHERBS.

But what does one do with a flower the size of a car?

Well, it’s a flower, girls like flowers.

So do butterflies.

And so do butterfly girls. Amber the Ambrosia now lives in the BOSSRUSH barn.

I was going to do it eventually, but Arthur forced my hand by putting up a request for it. He’s just giving me a rune crystal for this, one of the rarest late-game crafting ingredients.

Ideally, I want to have one of every tamable boss living on my farm by the end of this LP. That includes all of the bosses we’ve seen so far.

Bosses are tricky because each can only be tamed by at most a handful of items, most just one item. In Ambrosia’s case, it’s the Ultra Toyherb, while I’m growing a giant Royal Carrot for Thunderbolt. It isn’t guaranteed that the taming will work, it took a lot of save-scumming to successfully tame her.

She isn’t very good now, but boss monsters at high level can kick serious rear end.

And then there was another festival. More fishing.

And so I spent an entire day fishing. The trick to the fish variety contest is to fish in different areas. Each seasonal area has a lake or river you can fish in to catch fish related to that season. I have access to every season but spring right now, since the spring area doesn’t unlock until act 2.

Was it enough to beat the sullen stallion?

Hell no, he kicked my rear end.

If there’s an argument to be made for putting off doing the plot, this is it.

But he was nice enough to share some fishing tips the next day.

Okay, this time my carrot is ready.

Yeah, I know, I literally just did that.

I think he likes it.

He likes it!

Jokes on you mister great fisherman, I named a horse after you! So there!

Current up to date vote count:
Amber 1
Clorica 2
Dolce 19
Forte 4
Margaret 19
Xiao Pai 1

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 27, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You've got a bunch of spots where you accidentally used Amber's mugshot instead of Lumie's.

Also Amber is adorable! But like a kid, so even if she looked of age it'd be sorta weird to woo her.

Oh, and

Go for it dude :thumbsup:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Wow. I own this game and played it a fair bit, and it never even occurred to me that you could tame bosses, let alone the boss forms of villagers. I expect the answer to 'what happens if you take Amber and Boss Amber on an expedition together' is 'nothing interesting', sadly, but I'd love to be proven wrong!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Wow. I own this game and played it a fair bit, and it never even occurred to me that you could tame bosses, let alone the boss forms of villagers. I expect the answer to 'what happens if you take Amber and Boss Amber on an expedition together' is 'nothing interesting', sadly, but I'd love to be proven wrong!

Sadly, absolutely nothing interesting from that combination. Or from taking Amber out to the forest to fight herself, which is the very first thing I did in my first playthrough once I had her friendship high enough.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You've got a bunch of spots where you accidentally used Amber's mugshot instead of Lumie's.

I think I fixed these. I had a bunch more originally that I managed to catch before originally posting. But i think I also introduced a few while I was fixing that.

quote:

Also Amber is adorable! But like a kid, so even if she looked of age it'd be sorta weird to woo her.

It was like Neverland remembered that there was an annoying kid nobody liked in RF3 and tried to fix that this time around, but then made the bizarre decision to also make her marriagable.

quote:

Oh, and

Go for it dude :thumbsup:

I am not man enough for Porcoline.

Also, I like his little cupcake rings. They really did a great job with the little details on these character portraits.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 27, 2016

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Truthkeeper posted:

But more importantly, humans can heal. In the midgame, this is important.

So can monsters. That Fairy you grabbed should be able to.

Thanks for recruiting my friends! Now you have a proper horse too!

mastersord fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 28, 2016

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

mastersord posted:

So can monsters. That Fairy you grabbed should be able to.

Thanks for recruiting my friends! Now you have a proper horse too!

I could swear I've never seen a monster cast a cure spell, but I could be wrong. Still, I prefer human companions anyway.

Though honestly having a horse or wolf to ride around town is pretty awesome.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I never really messed around with pets much because among the first two I recruited were the butterfly boss and the giant tree boss, so I ended up spending most of the game with those two trailing me around, throwing butterflies and apples at things.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
It's also pretty telling that the developers went with "all fantasy holidays are the same as Japanese holidays" instead of "maybe some holidays on this planet are a bit more like Europe's": no no, gotta be Glorious Nippon all the way. It's not like anyone actually knows where Art is from, so this might be perfectly normal for him or anything...

Art rebelling against gender stereotypes is still hilarious, though :allears:.

: How, Erm, am I supposed to feel about...
: Grow a spine and take your cookies like a man, Arthur; it's a confection, not a confession.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

thetruegentleman posted:

It's also pretty telling that the developers went with "all fantasy holidays are the same as Japanese holidays" instead of "maybe some holidays on this planet are a bit more like Europe's": no no, gotta be Glorious Nippon all the way. It's not like anyone actually knows where Art is from, so this might be perfectly normal for him or anything...
Eh, that's pretty much how Harvest Moon did things too. Except Valentine's Day/White Day were more awkwardly translated in the early games("Spring Thanksgiving" and "Winter Thanksgiving" from BTN, anyone?).

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Truthkeeper posted:

I could swear I've never seen a monster cast a cure spell, but I could be wrong. Still, I prefer human companions anyway.

Though honestly having a horse or wolf to ride around town is pretty awesome.

I used to run with a Blue in Sharence Maze. It was pretty reliable to cast full heals.

I find pets are easier to get and gain levels pretty fast. I never used townsfolk because they were very fussy about when they would join and for how long. If an event was going on and you couldn't get it to finish without using a guide (like I've been in for 20+ in-game years) and none will join, a pet that doesn't run away is far better.

-They don't use equipment except as food
-They never go home until you tell them to, and they'll always come with you when you ask.
-They level faster than you.
-They can recover on their own when killed if you survive and finish the battle.
-They gain stats through both normal leveling and through daily feedings. Give them a random item to eat once a day and they get a permanent stat boost from that item.
-You can ride them.
-I like telling that old bastard "That idea you had of using magic to create and control monsters was pretty awesome. Not only did I kill you, but I'm better at it than you! Btw, say hi to my new friends!". Then I sit back as Death Moth and whoever else I decided to take with me throw him around for 15 seconds while I pick up his old photo and a broken rune sphere before teleporting away.

The trick with monsters is to go for the ones that are higher level than you. Most boss' taming items tend to be plot-locked to after the boss' point of usefulness with the exception of the first 3 bosses (which also tended to be the most useful). However, non-boss tamable monsters can all be recruited with any junk you find and at any level (even 10,000 levels higher than yourself) . It takes time and patience while you learn that monster's attack patterns while you try and chase it down to brush it or throw it an item.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Taming boss monsters seemed too tedious for the payout, so the first monster I used and leveled a decent amount was Typhoon

Heal, magic and physical attacks. And doesn't fill the screen like some dragon options later

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can every crop become giant, or only the ones that recruit bosses?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Glazius posted:

Can every crop become giant, or only the ones that recruit bosses?

Every crop can. They are worth more, and using them in harvest contests will pretty much guarantee you wins early on.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

-->Eh.
I like taking Dylas with me everywhere because boyfriend, but I also take my cat with me because she kicks all kinds of rear end and is reliable. Sure, she can't heal worth a drat but you only need to heal if you get hit so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
You take villagers along with you because they give you extra dialog during dungeon plot, which is the important part. :colbert:

• Locked thread