Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

NatasDog posted:

So what's the trick with RedistHeat? It just seems like a huge investment in steel and components for what you get out of it. Does anyone have a working example they can post? It seems like a constant struggle for me to get the duct network to be consistently low/high enough to keep my base climate controlled.

I'm playing on a cold map and I just have a single intake in my heated underground farms which connects to outlets in every bedroom so they stay at the same temperature, then I have an intake outside my base and a smart outlet inside my farms to make sure they don't overheat in summer. You could probably do more with it but those are the only rooms I need to keep warm.

If you're trying to climate control your whole base against both hot and cold my recommendation would be have a hot room and a cold room which connect to a third room which you set at the perfect temperature using smart outlets, then connect that perfect temperature room to the rest of your base using basic outlets. That should give you the effect of smart outlets in all your rooms while only needing two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

IronicDongz posted:

It only costs 300 silver for me?

Just double checked and it's now 600 for me, could be related to colony wealth? It's the same for all factions and doesn't change for social skill.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NatasDog posted:

So what's the trick with RedistHeat? It just seems like a huge investment in steel and components for what you get out of it. Does anyone have a working example they can post? It seems like a constant struggle for me to get the duct network to be consistently low/high enough to keep my base climate controlled.

Redistheat basically has two approaches, make a room temperature loop with huge numbers of intakes and rely on flooding all the outputs with huge volumes of warm air to stabilize the temperature, or run separate cold/hot loops (as in, one like 60C and the other -10) and use the smart outputs to release the correct type into a room to bring it to the desired temperature.

The latter has the benefit of being able to overheat/cool specific rooms, the former requires less piping and outputs.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Getting the silver together to actually let you trade is kind of reliant on getting traders in the first place.

You know, ones that aren't tribals who only buy useless junk that isn't worth anything and thus you can't make an industry around it.

gently caress tribal traders

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

It would be cool if instead of the silver just asking for a trader who might not sell what you want or buy what you have, you could arrange the trade through the comm console and the traders would come by shortly after.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
It looks like the amount of silver you need to call a trade caravan is related to your relation with the faction. Also while the base 600 cost is a little daunting, it's well worth calling in an outlander faction to buy up your excess, like after a raid or mechanoid attack.

But I agree that tribal traders aren't worth it unless you're desperate for another colonist, then you can call a slaver caravan and hope the game hasn't decided you have enough colonists.

edit: The best trader to call overall are exotic traders since they buy nearly everything and are one of the few that will buy furniture (except furniture that can have art on it due to a bug, so double beds, dining chairs and royal beds) and sculptures from you. Hell, grow a metric fuckton of crops and sell the excess to them.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 18, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pumpkinreaper posted:

It looks like the amount of silver you need to call a trade caravan is related to your relation with the faction. Also while the base 600 cost is a little daunting, it's well worth calling in an outlander faction to buy up your excess, like after a raid or mechanoid attack.

But I agree that tribal traders aren't worth it unless you're desperate for another colonist, then you can call a slaver caravan and hope the game hasn't decided you have enough colonists.

edit: The best trader to call overall are exotic traders since they buy nearly everything and are one of the few that will buy furniture (except furniture that can have art on it due to a bug, so double beds, dining chairs and royal beds) and sculptures from you. Hell, grow a metric fuckton of crops and sell the excess to them.

You're just calling a nearby other group though and you can't guarantee that they'll have anything. So far the best trade I've had was a 60 component rare trader ship. Every trade caravan has maybe 5 components AT MOST which is kinda useless.
Like I said, it turns again into just sitting waiting for the right ship to happen along.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Taear posted:

You're just calling a nearby other group though and you can't guarantee that they'll have anything. So far the best trade I've had was a 60 component rare trader ship. Every trade caravan has maybe 5 components AT MOST which is kinda useless.
Like I said, it turns again into just sitting waiting for the right ship to happen along.

Sorry, was tired and forgot where the conversation stemmed from and was thinking it was more about the cost of calling traders.

I agree that the component bench is a kick in the nuts and really should have the work required to make parts lowered along with its component cost. Though if you can get a decent amount of plasteel generation going and/or have someone able to poo poo out a lot of crafting goods (clothes, melee weapons, drugs, etc.), you can call in trade caravans pretty regularly and anything that isn't tribal/pirate usually has some spare components to trade.

Also I really wish there were component drill sites.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Sorry, was tired and forgot where the conversation stemmed from and was thinking it was more about the cost of calling traders.

I agree that the component bench is a kick in the nuts and really should have the work required to make parts lowered along with its component cost. Though if you can get a decent amount of plasteel generation going and/or have someone able to poo poo out a lot of crafting goods (clothes, melee weapons, drugs, etc.), you can call in trade caravans pretty regularly and anything that isn't tribal/pirate usually has some spare components to trade.

I guess it just doesn't feel like enough. Every bloody thing wants components and it'd be nice if I could at least make a minigun or a charge gun or something but I can't because they all take components and I need those to do every other single thing.

I wish deep drills you could place over the vein and it'd drill out everything there instead of just the little square around it.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I'm up to day 38 and I've had traders once; Slavers who were not interested in my massive food stockpile. I've had the comm panel and trade beacon up for about 15 days and not a peep from that.

e: Just had some traders in day 40, 1 component to sell and would only buy our smokeleaf and simple meals.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 18, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

would only buy our smokeleaf and simple meals.

Living in an extremely poor town, I can assure you this is completely realistic.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The thing I've noticed is that once you get the comms array up actual trade caravans become nonexistent. You really need to install the more trade ships mod to take advantage of the investment.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I want a global market mod, loads of trade ships, maybe even convoys , contracts etc

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Baloogan posted:

I want a global market mod, loads of trade ships, maybe even convoys , contracts etc

But this is a rimworld, hardly anyone comes out here.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
shut up tynan your name is dumb

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Just picked this up and did the tutorial. Anything I should know/do before I dive into first actual run?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DontMindMe posted:

Just picked this up and did the tutorial. Anything I should know/do before I dive into first actual run?

Cannibalism/pyscho are broken traits, reroll/harvest the organs of and euthanize anyone who is incapable of violence (especially Emmie)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't care if some people are incapable of violence tbh, not everyone is gonna be spending their time murdering intruders. someone's gotta just haul poo poo and patch up fighters!
(also if they have poo poo shooting/melee skills I wouldn't be using them for that anyways)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

DontMindMe posted:

Does the tutorial run through job prioritization yet? If not, read the wiki QSG for some basics on build order and job assignments.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think you can jump in without that just fine as long as you keep in mind that "if someone's not doing something I want them to be doing, I probably need to fiddle with the work tab"

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
I can live with non violent colonists, the ones that really need to go up against the wall are the non haulers and cleaners

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

NatasDog posted:

I can live with non violent colonists, the ones that really need to go up against the wall are the non haulers and cleaners

Non violent? Sure. I only really need 2-3 people to defend the colony.

Non cleaner? Sure. I only really need a single cleaner.

Non hauler? Fuuuuuuck you. I need all this poo poo hauled, and most of this colony is doing more important poo poo then you.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Rookersh posted:

Non violent? Sure. I only really need 2-3 people to defend the colony.

Non cleaner? Sure. I only really need a single cleaner.

Non hauler? Fuuuuuuck you. I need all this poo poo hauled, and most of this colony is doing more important poo poo then you.

You don't understand, I'm an artist

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
"If you don't haul that food i will amputate your arms and we can see how artistic you will be then."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
So I bought this game at the beginning of the weekend and binged on it most of the last few days. I've survived the first winter multiple times but I keep restarting due to the nagging feeling I'm not doing as well as I should be.

Can I get some hot tips from the thread on how you guys handle your first year? My general go at things so far:

- Most rooms should be 10x10 walls for 8x interior. This allows for 64 space personal rooms (gently caress 'cramped space'), and allows for decent modular usage. Walk-in freezer gets bisected to 4x8 with 3x8 on the other side for a butcher station and electric stove, for example, to minimize walks and time for the cook. Crafting house can support 8 stations and still have space for toolchests.
- Stockpiles should be walled off (again in 10x10 rooms) to avoid people whining about ugliness.
- Throw stone blocks at small art sculptures and try to put one in per room that people spend any amount of time in (so basically bedrooms, the dining room, and the work room)
- Grow aggressively, but keep fields close to domiciles. Use 5x7 zones for growing, and grow as much as possible; Growing is a very important skill to have a lot of and the worst thing that's gonna happen is some cereals or potatoes go bad. Who the gently caress cares. I frequently end up with about 1 growing zone per colonist.
- Figure out something to sell. This is what gets me every god drat time. It's obvious you need to trade and trade hard in this game, but finding a comparative advantage when I have so few people is hard as hell. Selling dope seems to be the most reliable thing, because even with 13-14 Animals my tamer will take for god drat ever to get even a single herbivore tamed, and Smokeweed is only 4 Growing to get going. However, weed doesn't sell for that much and even the harder drugs don't fetch a fantastic price. I frequently find myself hard-stopped by not having plasteel by the end of year 1 because I can't research anymore, and I have no idea how to break out of the self-sufficient bullshit.

I usually have a gunsmithing operation going by the first winter, but again, the large amounts of work that go into each weapon bottleneck me hard with the 5, maybe 6 colonists I have because inevitably the gunsmith is called away to do something else at least once during the day.

My tech plays usually go Stonecutting -> Smithing -> Microelectronic Basics -> Geothermal Power -> Machining -> Electric Smelting (or something of that nature). I basically try to slingshot into reliable electricity and the ability to produce decent loving guns as quick as possible.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 19, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Room size is really not critical, especially for personal bedrooms. While people are asleep they don't experience cramped or ugly or dark room moods, and they rarely spend any non-asleep time in their rooms at all once you build a joy source. A horseshoe pin costs a whopping 15 wood and lasts forever, so there's really no excuse not to make one immediately.

For storerooms it really doesn't matter much what the dimensions are. Big enough to hold your stuff is all that matters.

For art, stone takes MUCH longer to craft into statues than wood does. If you want statues to sell or to decorate with, use wood. If you're just trying to train up an artist, stone is fine since skill gain just goes up at a flat rate the whole time the artist is working, no matter how good the outcome or what material they're using, so making art with slow materials like stone is fine for skill training.

My day 1 goals are:
- Build 3 2x1 rooms and fill the entire space of each with a bed.
- Build a support column and a roof extending out from it like an umbrella. This is the storeroom.
- Plant a field. Potatoes if I have normal soil, rice if I have rich soil.
- Haul all my starter stuff to the store"room".
- Build a horseshoe pin.

Extra time is spent cutting trees if the map has them, or dismantling ruins for stone blocks if the map doesn't.

Day 2:
- Build 2 big rooms. One room is a crafting room, the other is dining/recreation.
- Put a torch lamp, research table, and chair in the crafting room. Begin researching stonecutting.
- Put a table, 4 chairs, and a torch lamp in the dining room.

Day 3:
- Build a big room with 2 coolers in the wall, and room to double-thicken the walls later.
- Build 2 windmills, a battery, and a power line to run the coolers. This is now the freezer.
- Build an electric cooking stove just outside the freezer, and a butcher's table around the back where corpses and blood will be generally out of sight.

Depending on my map and my starting conditions, I may or may not hit these goals in the first three days, but they're definitely goal 1.

From here I try to speed-research stonecutting and start getting defensive walls up. If your defenses are set up well, you do not need to rush gunsmithing. If you have a backup battery complex behind a switch, 3-4 windmills will be all you need for a long time. You do not need to rush geothermal power. Art has a surprisngly small effect on your colonists' moods compared to cleanliness. You do not need to rush art.

What you absolutely positively no-questions asked need are walls. You don't need to funnel every enemy into the same chokepoint, but you DO need to funnel every enemy into some sort of choke point. If your defenses are set up well, you can ambush raiders around corners with a flurry of eager fists. Try to punch out raiders in the early waves, you get a lot more KOs with fists. Knocking people unconscious means more colonists, which means more punching, which means more people. People are the hardest resource in the game to get, and you need to push for them hard in year 1. 3 colonists is nowhere near enough. Count the number of enemies in each wave so you know when they'll flee (raiders flee when 50% of their guys are killed or knocked out). If you only have to take out 1 more guy before the raid leaves, then you can do risky stuff like run your guys out of cover in order to punch an isolated foe because you can be confident his friends will start running away before they get around the corner. Obviously look at knocked out guys' stats and if you have an neurotic idiot who refuses to do anything useful you can just execute him right there on the ground, but don't be TOO picky, especially in year 1.

It sounds like you're spending a lot of time growing a lot of excess food. Lots of traders buy food, so if you have a half-decent chef and a reliable freezer, consider keeping 100 simple meals in the icebox to sell to traders. Meals sell pretty well.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

It sounds like you're spending a lot of time growing a lot of excess food. Lots of traders buy food, so if you have a half-decent chef and a reliable freezer, consider keeping 100 simple meals in the icebox to sell to traders. Meals sell pretty well.
yeah you'd be surprised exactly how loving useless one chef is at producing excess meals, this is what i tried early on when i noticed how well food sold but my loving chef never got that far ahead. this crossed my mind but it seemed like i'd need two stoves and two chefs - and, with my existing frustrations in labor, i didn't see how that would be very helpful, especially when you consider that i'd likely need more freezer space (and therefore, more labor devoted to making freezers) to store it all

regarding the cramped room moodlet, the wiki disputes your claim, saying people ARE affected by the Space stat while asleep and will wake up grumpy if they sleep in a small bedroom. this does seem to get borne out in my own experience, as i had a Too Smart/Neurotic chick basically be constantly on the edge of a breakdown last game thanks to the combination of Too Cramped from my 7x7 (or 5x5 interior space) rooms and a couple old scars keeping her in pain 24/7

i do use a horseshoe pin for joy, the only time any other joy source gets made is a chessboard and a couple of chairs for the prison complex honestly. everything else just seems like a waste of resources.

i do aggressively take prisoners by punching, but christ almighty i never see someone who's less than 90% difficulty to recruit, which turns into like 0.5% chance to sign on.

one thing i notice in your note, though; you can put chairs in front of crafting benches? they ostensibly raise Comfort while this happens, yes? if so, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, that explains how to get away from that retarded Uncomfortable moodlet

also, could i bother you to post what you consider a decent early wall setup? i feel like i have a general idea of what you're saying but it'd be better if i could get a perfect idea.

e: oh also, i tend to heal up and release healthy anyone i don't intend to attempt to recruit, whether because the pawn is terrible and refuses to do anything or their difficulty rating is 99%. my logic is that it's not too hard to get people back on their feet if they see a doctor promptly after getting the poo poo beaten out of them, and you get faction bonuses for returning their guys patched up. is this a bad idea?

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 19, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What mods are you guys running that makes your colonists never go to their bedroom? Even with a social gathering area complete with a table, chairs, chess table, TVs and horse shoe pins my guys still love heading into their room to meditate or pray and bitch that their rooms are poo poo.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
A 5x5 bedroom is just large enough to avoid any cramped space negatives as long as you don't completely flood it with art and don't put the bed in a corner. I generally build 5x5 bedrooms in pairs then when I have enough space I knock down the walls between them for a single 5x11 bedroom which is plenty large.

Also training up a second chef is pretty easy, you don't even need a second stove though it would help. As soon as you get someone who's interested in cooking or has the Too Smart trait set them as a cook at maximum priority and add a bill on your stove to constantly make simple meals with maximum skill set 1 rank below your main chef. That way your main chef will still be making fine/lavish meals but the trainee will still get some practice.

Oh yeah something I found out yesterday, the Too Smart bonus is additive, not multiplicative which makes it pretty much the best trait in the game. It makes their learning rates 113% for uninterested, 180% for interested and 230% for burning passion so they can basically become good at anything.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah for what it's worth I loved my Too Smart and Neurotic pawn, she was great at everything and worked fast to boot. She was insanely mentally fragile though, she had 3 breaks in the first year, one of which had her wandering naked and dazed in -6C weather while a flash storm kicked off around her. My loving jaw dropped and I ordered my ex raider girl to arrest her. So then you had this naked, dozy dork, shackled hand and foot, thrown over the shoulder of a fiercely swearing chick with a topknot braid as she dodges between fires kicked up by a shooting gallery of the anger of Zeus.

Took my Too Smart girl 4 days to get her to recruit on again but the game was a roaring success in terms of writing a story.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I'm finding the game much smoother now I've made a checklist with a hierarchy of needs starting from Basics of survival > basic comfort > defence and so forth and I'm being strict with myself never to move on unless I'm bottlenecked into idle colonists by research or solar flares or something. Also I'm playing with the work tab a lot more and as a result I very rarely have to ask my pawns to prioritise something. I try to give each pawn a 'main job' which sits at priority 1, cleaning, hauling and growing being the main ones and I also give the best doctor and warden a 1 for those since they don't need to be done often.

I'm thinking about making a mortar per fighting colonist (I have 4 fighters and 2 mortars up) since really, getting into direct combat and losing colonists leading to loss of skills, manpower and mood is the most dangerous thing for your base once you're out of the first season. I found when fighting a psychic ship in my first colony that even those with lovely shooting stats can fire a decent mortar shot fairly often so if I keep four mortars all loaded and primed, if a nasty raid (especially one where they prepare), mech ship or siege show up, if one of my four mortars even gets close, that's better for my turret defences and in turn, my colonists.

Also, I can't believe how much easier it is when you have a good amount of trees on your map. I had a massive base complete with 6 fully equipped bedrooms by day 25 on this colony while my desert one, having to rely on pulling apart structures and cutting cacti, was still putting the main structure together on day 35.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you release a colonist who you take prisoner after a break, they get dropped off outside your doors but their break is over, I think

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Coolguye posted:

Took my Too Smart girl 4 days to get her to recruit on again but the game was a roaring success in terms of writing a story.

If you have to arrest a colonist to stop a mental break, you can release them and you can release them and they'll rejoin the colony instead of having to rerecruit them.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Coolguye posted:

yeah you'd be surprised exactly how loving useless one chef is at producing excess meals, this is what i tried early on when i noticed how well food sold but my loving chef never got that far ahead. this crossed my mind but it seemed like i'd need two stoves and two chefs - and, with my existing frustrations in labor, i didn't see how that would be very helpful, especially when you consider that i'd likely need more freezer space (and therefore, more labor devoted to making freezers) to store it all

That's not your chef's fault, it's yours. Give your chef an efficient layout and they'll crank out the meals in no time. If you're the youtube watching sort, go here. The short of it is, give high priority stockpiles right next to your stove, and in the meal bill on the stove, set it to drop the finished meals on the floor (also, disallow wasting meat in your simple meals). Once your chef doesn't have to run all over the place for ingredients, they'll get way more cooking done.

Coolguye posted:

i do aggressively take prisoners by punching, but christ almighty i never see someone who's less than 90% difficulty to recruit, which turns into like 0.5% chance to sign on.

Gotta make them happy. Turn their prison into a luxury resort and they'll be much more eager to sign up.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Randy is sure being an rear end in a top hat this run. After barely managing to survive through winter, growing season starts in the 11th of Spring. We get a Cold Snap on the 14th that lasts into the first days of summer. Two days after the Cold Snap ends we get hit with a Volcanic Winter. I get it, you want me to be ready to do Ice Sheet maps in the future, you bloody tarpit.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Tracking events has really surprised me with how much Randy can vary. I always assumed I'd get a similar amount of pain but just in different ways. My third colony had an event every day for twenty days and usually two or three with a raid on average every 5 to 6 days but the one I'm on now is a lot more sedate, going a fair few days with only things like a mad squirrel to contend with. I've had very few potential recruits and virtually nothing from cargo pods too. I assume that it all evens out if you play long enough but it still surprised me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zhentar posted:

That's not your chef's fault, it's yours. Give your chef an efficient layout and they'll crank out the meals in no time. If you're the youtube watching sort, go here. The short of it is, give high priority stockpiles right next to your stove, and in the meal bill on the stove, set it to drop the finished meals on the floor (also, disallow wasting meat in your simple meals). Once your chef doesn't have to run all over the place for ingredients, they'll get way more cooking done.
The freezer is literally through 1 door and the walk is 6 tiles at worst from the stove, dunno how much nicer I can be to work with here.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Coolguye posted:

also, could i bother you to post what you consider a decent early wall setup? i feel like i have a general idea of what you're saying but it'd be better if i could get a perfect idea.

I'll post some screenshots when I get back to my computer (phone posting from a waiting room now), but in general you want to make sure your cover is superior (sandbags and walls), while enemy cover is inferior (place strategic rock rubble to tempt enemies to hide behind), and put a roof over where your colonist will stand (shooting at a target that is in darkness is a -15% aim penalty).

Coolguye posted:

e: oh also, i tend to heal up and release healthy anyone i don't intend to attempt to recruit, whether because the pawn is terrible and refuses to do anything or their difficulty rating is 99%. my logic is that it's not too hard to get people back on their feet if they see a doctor promptly after getting the poo poo beaten out of them, and you get faction bonuses for returning their guys patched up. is this a bad idea?

This is a fine idea, 99% recruit difficulty is really just a food drain. Feel free to strip them of their clothes first, if you like. The faction reputation bonus doesn't care if they're naked.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

The freezer is literally through 1 door and the walk is 6 tiles at worst from the stove, dunno how much nicer I can be to work with here.

Put the stove in the freezer.

It will probably double your production rate. Meals take almost no time to cook but require one or two trips to collect ingredients and one trip to deposit the result. Your stockpile wants to be literally one tile adjacent to the stove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Put the stove in the freezer.

It will probably double your production rate. Meals take almost no time to cook but require one or two trips to collect ingredients and one trip to deposit the result. Your stockpile wants to be literally one tile adjacent to the stove.

chef gets some serious Too Cold moodlets about that