Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Benne posted:

The Kingdome was a loving shithole and the day it got demolished is still the happiest day of my life

I liked it when I was a kid, I do miss the era of stadiums that weren't named for corporate sponsors. the two years Seahawk Stadium hadn't sold the naming rights were nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Does anyone remember, or even better, have video evidence of Dennis Miller's stint on Monday Night Football? I've read some terrible quotes, but I feel they don't do him justice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Does anyone remember, or even better, have video evidence of Dennis Miller's stint on Monday Night Football? I've read some terrible quotes, but I feel they don't do him justice.

I wasn't watching football then, but was that before or after 9/11 drove him insane?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I wasn't watching football then, but was that before or after 9/11 drove him insane?

He was on for the 2000 and 2001 seasons, so both.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Cruel and Unusual posted:

I have dim memories. I thought he was fine and sort of unfairly tarnished (especially compared to a lot of other commentators, who are garbage) but if people didn't like him hey, they didn't like him.

Only specific memory I have is that somebody in the Dallas Cowboys stands was very pregnant and dressed skimpily and had painted the blue star on her belly and Miller said something like "cowboys cheerleaders going in a different direction, this year".

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He wasn't insane, he was just droll and tried to make esoteric references to things mid-football game and name drop people from the 1970's which is good when you can distill it down to "Matriculate the ball down the field" and bad when instead you get:

quote:

"Well, boys, I'm thinking that might wrap this one up. You know, Dandy Don used to have his punctuation on the evening’s festivities, ‘Turn out the lights, the party's over.’ I've been racking my brain to come up with one. I didn’t want to call it too early tonight. I didn’t want a massive gaffe that Rudy Martzke would jump out of his couch in his undies and start pointing at the screen. But, I think it’s time to call it now, and I’m going to say, ‘Start blow-drying Teddy Koppel’s hair, ‘cause this one’s done.’"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kalli posted:

He wasn't insane, he was just droll and tried to make esoteric references to things mid-football game and name drop people from the 1970's which is good when you can distill it down to "Matriculate the ball down the field" and bad when instead you get:

What I remember was that he tried way too hard to be clever and just came off as pretentious and boring. He was painful to listen to because his comments weren't actually very clever or insightful, just dumb.

He didn't actually seem to like football very much. He was just a name, and it showed.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Jimmy Kimmel was on once and is never allowed back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's hilarious to me when i'm watching an NFL stream and it's SkySports so the halftime commentators are 2 lovely American college players who are willing to fly to England and the one guy in England who gives a poo poo about the NFL. Especially if it's the second Monday night game because that means it's like 3 am there and you realize British sportscasters who are good at it don't have to work at 3am.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Skwirl posted:

It's hilarious to me when i'm watching an NFL stream and it's SkySports so the halftime commentators are 2 lovely American college players who are willing to fly to England and the one guy in England who gives a poo poo about the NFL. Especially if it's the second Monday night game because that means it's like 3 am there and you realize British sportscasters who are good at it don't have to work at 3am.

Also, lots of really shady high interest loan commercials.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Skwirl posted:

I remember seeing Mike Holmgren on there a few years back and was like drat, has his reputation plummeted so far that he can't even get a studio pundit gig in America? ESPN hands those out like candy to any semi-notable name.

Also the Sky Sports feed taught me that the "British American Football League" is a thing that exists. I can only assume it's filled with randos who weren't good enough for rugby.

Benne fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 18, 2016

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I picture every team just being the IRL London Silly Nannies.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Benne posted:

I remember seeing Mike Holmgren on there a few years back and was like drat, has his reputation plummeted so far that he can't even get a studio pundit gig in America? ESPN hands those out like candy to any semi-notable name.

Also the Sky Sports feed taught me that the "British American Football League" is a thing that exists. I can only assume it's filled with randos who weren't good enough for rugby.

Yeah it's exactly how we used to think of pro soccer in the US a few years back.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Serotonin posted:

Yeah it's exactly how we used to think of pro soccer in the US a few years back.

"Used to." I guess being almost as good as Poland's domestic league is cause for celebration here.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Benne posted:

It was probably a free trip to England.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Benne posted:

From what Trin Tragula said, it's DIII level football. Texas high school games get larger crowds than the BAFL.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

CannonFodder posted:

From what Trin Tragula said, it's DIII level football. Texas high school games get larger crowds than the BAFL.

I'm kinda curious as to what the level of coaching is actually like for an start-up league like the BAFL playing a foreign sport. Do they try to bring in American coaches with at least some semblance of experience coaching American college/high schools? Or is it all amateurs top-to-bottom who learned the game from Madden or whatever?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Question that likely can't be answered:

I recall a Helldump-y post/article that went into detail about why Texas A&M--and specifically the Corps of Cadets and all their awful history--was a terrible horrible no good very bad thing. I can't recall if it was an SAS post, or SBNation, or Deadspin (though I think it wasn't), or Burnt Orange Nation, or ??? If it wasn't originally a Something Awful post, I believe I originally found it linked from here. I believe I originally read it back in law school, so it would have been written in 2012 at the latest.

This is extremely vague and probably of no help to anyone, but if someone could find it I would be amazed and impressed. At the very least, maybe this will be an opportunity to find several articles bagging on the Aggies.

Thanks!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
2012 is before this was around I think, but Gendo's post on A&M on firejerrykill made a lot of Aggies super mad.

It's gone if that happens to be what you were thinking of.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Holy poo poo I found it, you can't memory hole poo poo from me Gendo! And I guess it was before 2012, drat it doesn't seem that long ago.

No pictures though.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120229190738/http://firejerrykill.com/2011/10/25/awful-fanbases-texas-am/

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Oh my god that's it. Thank you so much. :worship:

Never even thought of FJK but of course.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

hello grreting i am from great nation of turkmenistan new to the sport of american football and my question is: i have been under the impression that if your knee is down and the ball comes out then it's not a fumble, however, i watched today's contest involving the bengals of cincinnati and it aopears this is no longer the case??!?!? please advise

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

hello grreting i am from great nation of turkmenistan new to the sport of american football and my question is: i have been under the impression that if your knee is down and the ball comes out then it's not a fumble, however, i watched today's contest involving the bengals of cincinnati and it aopears this is no longer the case??!?!? please advise

The Bengals will always lose. That rule supercedes any other.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

The refs were glad the Bengals lost

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Based on the video, it wasnt going to get overturned, its the call on the field in thise case, whatever that may be.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Benne posted:

I'm kinda curious as to what the level of coaching is actually like for an start-up league like the BAFL playing a foreign sport. Do they try to bring in American coaches with at least some semblance of experience coaching American college/high schools? Or is it all amateurs top-to-bottom who learned the game from Madden or whatever?

I'm not even sure we have many football fields in the UK. Im not sure I've ever seen one. I've no idea where any of these amateur teams play. I'm assuming rugby pitches?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Its easier to convert a soccer field into a football field than vice versa since a soccer field is wider. So any rugby or soccer field would work.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
When I played we just used a rugby field, but this was sub-BAFL tier (team folded before becoming full members, RIP)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Serotonin posted:

I'm not even sure we have many football fields in the UK. Im not sure I've ever seen one. I've no idea where any of these amateur teams play. I'm assuming rugby pitches?

Some rugby pitches (good clubs sweet-talk their way onto the 1st XV pitch, most get chucked onto the 4th XV's cow-mowed mudheap), some 3G and 4G pitches, some small athletics stadiums. Halton Spartans play in Widnes RLFC's stadium, Manchester Titans play on the field out back of Salford and occasionally get let inside. There's quite a few universities who've started coming up with decent playing facilities once they smelled the chance of easy BUCS points.

But I do maintain that nobody in this forum has ever truly experienced what an incredible game football can be until they've watched a bunch of 19-year-old drunks who six weeks ago put on a helmet for the first time, trying to run off tackle left without literally everybody falling over, on a windswept 80-yard field in the middle of nowhere. It has 8-yard end zones, a chain that keeps coming off the stakes, a down box with a giant 45-degree bend in it from where a player fell into it last week and the idiot press-ganged into doing chain crew didn't think to run away, and several lines that wobble and curve gracefully, tracking the progress of the groundsman's hangover. On the plus side, with no TV time-outs and no visible game clock, we usually get a game done in just over two hours, and we do not ever have to hear the words "Endless Shrimp".

(As long as we don't have to stop for a minute and explain in words of one syllable what "illegal formation" means.)

Benne posted:

In the 80s there was enough money in the game to import American coaches (or some of them came off the airbases, before the end of the Cold War there were enough bases in Britain for them to all play a season against each other and it was easily Div I-AA standard) and they provided the initial knowledge base. They educated the first generation of British coaches and now education is done by a mix of that first generation, a second generation of people who learned from them, and a yearly coaches' convention/training weekend where they bring over guest speakers. You do run into the occasional twerp who just wants to hold a clipboard and throw his hat about, but they cycle out again relatively quickly after they realise how much effort it takes to, say, run off tackle left without everyone falling over.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Is it generally people too unathletic for rugby, or is it generally people who also play rugby?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Bit of both, but then there are plenty of areas that just don't have a rugby-playing tradition, or if they do it's all bound up in social class issues of one sort or another, and so soccer is the only field sport a lot of people ever consider playing, and the people who would have gone to rugby might get scooped up by football instead. The league is big enough for the top to cater for actual athletes at all positions, and the bottom to cater to fat blokes who line up for every down with their hip girdle halfway down their arse.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I watched the Saints/Colts Super Bowl in Britain and the guest American NFL personality was none other than Alex Smith.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Before NFL was the thing that you could just watch on TV in Australia, the super bowl broadcast was done on our special broadcasting channel for multiculturalism and was, legitimately a guy with an american accent and a guy who had watched a gridiron game or two?

I watched a couple of really great super bowls and had no idea what was going on, back in the day.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

pangstrom posted:

Is it generally people too unathletic for rugby, or is it generally people who also play rugby?

No.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's people TOO athletic for rugby!

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Theoretically what is the longest you could score a field goal?

Could you angle the trajectory differently to make it go further?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

fronkpies posted:

Theoretically what is the longest you could score a field goal?

Could you angle the trajectory differently to make it go further?

Yes, kickers angle trajectories for longer punts, but that also increases the chance of a lineman getting a hand up to block it. Pro NFL kickers routinely make shots from 60+ yards in practice. In game situations they rarely go over 50 yards (though it has been increasing rapidly!).

This is a cool video from the New York Giants explaining what goes into a kick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YB-f3Lx1Nw

All of those things will effect distance as well. If you don't have a lightning quick snap and hold, then you can't take those long power shots because defenders will be breathing down your neck before you've even swung your leg.

I haven't watched it yet, but this is a kicking combine video where a bunch of NFL hopefuls take tons of shots. You might find it interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjbMxTvupH0

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I guess you could snap it to the back of your own endzone and kick a 120 yarder. It wouldn't show up in the stats but if you snapped it to the back corner of your own end zone that would be an even longer kick, obviously. I think the kicker would have to approach the ball sideways to stay in bounds.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Yes, kickers angle trajectories for longer punts, but that also increases the chance of a lineman getting a hand up to block it. Pro NFL kickers routinely make shots from 60+ yards in practice. In game situations they rarely go over 50 yards (though it has been increasing rapidly!).
In the pro game? You can't have an NFL career if you can't reliably hit from 50-55.

Also to answer the question, the longest in history is 64. If you're in Denver with the wind at your back and have a monster leg then in theory you could probably hit from 70, but if it didn't get blocked it would probably miss anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Henchman of Santa posted:

In the pro game? You can't have an NFL career if you can't reliably hit from 50-55

Uhhhh.... no. We are getting to the point where we are beginning to expect our kickers to make those shots. I don't think we are at the point where we have 32 guys (96 if you somehow have trouble finding a longsnapper and/or holder) who can reliably make those shots.

Steven Hauschka is one of the most accurate (and best) kickers in the league and he's barely over 60% from 50. He also turns down 50 yarders that he isn't confident he can make, which has saved Seattle's bacon a few times since we go back to the offense instead of just having special teams gently caress up a hopeless kick.

• Locked thread