Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are a couple of vehicles that look neat (eg the looting Thopter, the mana rock, the skyship) but the payoff for building a dedicated vehicles deck doesn't seem particularly great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

"I don't feel sacrificing flavor for slightly improved gameplay is the direction magic should be going" is the kind of reasoning that protested the removal of mana burn, wasn't it?

Exactly the same mentality. Except I think it's more about just hating any kind of change and resenting perceived "dumbing down" than any kind of real argument based on "flavor".

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There are a couple of vehicles that look neat (eg the looting Thopter, the mana rock, the skyship) but the payoff for building a dedicated vehicles deck doesn't seem particularly great.

Start Your Engines?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Entropic posted:

Exactly the same mentality. Except I think it's more about just hating any kind of change and resenting perceived "dumbing down" than any kind of real argument based on "flavor".

So, Grognards?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv posted:

Tom Ross is playing 8Rack :laffo:

update: he top 8d

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Calling your deck Wacky Races

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Fleetwheel Cruiser seems like potentially the best one if you ask me. The curve Veteran Motorist -> Depala -> Cruiser, smash with a 7/5 trample haste seems pretty brutal.

RE: 80's James Hetfield, I don't have a list yet but I'm brewing one up

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

Eddie Whitson posted:

Calling your deck Wacky Races

Let's be real, they'll just call it wedge/shard Vehicles on stream :downs:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

stinkles1112 posted:

Fleetwheel Cruiser seems like potentially the best one if you ask me. The curve Veteran Motorist -> Depala -> Cruiser, smash with a 7/5 trample haste seems pretty brutal.

RE: 80's James Hetfield, I don't have a list yet but I'm brewing one up

awesome, i love your brews and look forward to your impending post

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I'll miss the mechanical twist of regenerating creatures tapping down/leaving combat - made for interesting setups with first strike and bolt and such.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

So, isn't there supposed to be some kind of pre-prerelease for Kaladesh tonight? What's the deal there? On stream somewhere, obviously, not in stores.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Loading Ready Run is doing it, as usual. They've been going for a few hours now, I believe

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Regeneration shields and Mana Burn were both really stupid and counter-intuitive but I don't really see why Regenerate couldn't just make a triggered ability when the permanent would be destroyed or take lethal damage that just let the controller pay the cost to tap it and prevent the destruction.

Mana Burn doesn't really have any basis in standard fantasy, but Regeneration is a pretty standard fantasy trope you'd think they'd want to keep in the game.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Why was mana burn ever a thing to begin with? As you said, there is no precedent for it really. Was it in the rules from the very beggining?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Foreskin Problems posted:

Let's be real, they'll just call it wedge/shard Vehicles on stream :downs:
:arghfist::mad:

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Regeneration shields and Mana Burn were both really stupid and counter-intuitive but I don't really see why Regenerate couldn't just make a triggered ability when the permanent would be destroyed or take lethal damage that just let the controller pay the cost to tap it and prevent the destruction.

Mana Burn doesn't really have any basis in standard fantasy, but Regeneration is a pretty standard fantasy trope you'd think they'd want to keep in the game.
But that's not even what regeneration does. The term "regeneration" in magic is more accurately called resurrection, especially considering how "comes back into play tapped" is a common resurrection mechanic.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Well, that certainly was a draft :stare:

e: :lol: aaaaaand I lose in Round 1 to UW spirits :bang:

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 18, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Because if something takes lethal damage/is destroyed, it's put into the graveyard before it could have a triggered ability happen. It would have to be a replacement effect, which is what regeneration already is. You're right that it's probably easier to do what you said than have the whole regeneration shield thing that they have now. But I suppose that's why they got rid of it.

Markovnikov posted:

Why was mana burn ever a thing to begin with? As you said, there is no precedent for it really. Was it in the rules from the very beggining?

Yep. It's like you store up too much energy without using it and it ends up hurting you. I'm sure there's some kind of precedent in D&D or anime or something.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

But that's not even what regeneration does. The term "regeneration" in magic is more accurately called resurrection, especially considering how "comes back into play tapped" is a common resurrection mechanic.

But rules-wise your creature never actually dies, how is that resurrection :psyduck:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Making it a replacement effect would work for creatures that regenerate themselves. But what about instants and sorceries that regenerate creatures, like Golgari Charm? Without the interrupt type, how do we implement them? They could grant the creature "Regenerate 0, regenerate this way only once each turn" until end of turn, which is fine if you control the creature. But what if you want to regenerate a creature you don't control, like for Debt of Loyalty or because it's your creature that has just been borrowed for a turn with Act of Treason?

If you were designing regenerate from the ground up this would work fine, but now that it's on instants it doesn't work particularly well.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

Well, that certainly was a draft :stare:

e: :lol: aaaaaand I lose in Round 1 to UW spirits :bang:
What are Scavengers/Rats doing in your sideboard? Or is that not the finished deck?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I kinda feel like Undying would be a better evergreen mechanic than regeneration if they wanna keep the flavor. It fits pretty easily on a standard troll or the like, is pretty easy to understand for and is all upside which is nice for new players.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

odiv posted:

What are Scavengers/Rats doing in your sideboard? Or is that not the finished deck?

I liked the removal and the fliers better in the five slot :shrug:

But then I lost so what do I know :sigh:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

dont be results oriented, soul glo

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

Seems like it would be worth dropping a wailing ghoul and that Goldknight Castigator to have the meld combo. Also why did you not play the Mindwrack demon? Also the Tooth Collector seems better than the supplicant to me in this kind of deck.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 19, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Yea your curve is pretty good how it is. Maybe you could have cut Dreadknight, Pale Rider, and a combat trick for the combo pieces? Scavenges might even be better than the Knight and Pale Rider sucks so I wouldn't be too upset about replacing it with a vanilla 2/1.

You really should be playing that Tooth Collector though. Card is pretty bomby in a format with so many 1-toughness creatures.

anglachel posted:

Seems like it would be worth dropping a wailing ghoul and that Goldknight Castigator to have the meld combo. Also why did you not play the Mindwrack demon? Also the Tooth Collector seems better than the supplicant to me in this kind of deck.

There's no artifacts/enchantments and only one sorcery in his whole deck, Mindwracks not going to get delirium very often.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 19, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Yeah I looked for ways to hit Derlium all through pack 3 and any way to splash the Avacyn and no dice on either front. The Mindrack would have just killed me faster.

And yeah the Pale Rider got cut after game 1.

Kinda makes up for how I drafted zero rares last night at my LGS, when six mythics including Lilli got opened in my pod, at least.

e: I left the zombies in trying out Lilliana's Elite for the first time, was never relevant, so, meh.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 19, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kaladesh is so, so sweet. Also does Demon of Dark Schemes seem playable as a control finisher to anyone else?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Kaladesh is so, so sweet. Also does Demon of Dark Schemes seem playable as a control finisher to anyone else?

I think noxious gearhulk is better, unless your control deck went heavy on the energy.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

little munchkin posted:

There's no artifacts/enchantments and only one sorcery in his whole deck, Mindwracks not going to get delirium very often.

Goldknight feels like it will be more of a liability than Mindwrack.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Do ya'll think that Kaladesh looks to be a stronger set than SOI or EMN?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
It's certainly a set that makes me excited to play, instead of the nonstop badtimefeels of everything since Fate Reforged. Magic's been a little glum, but now I can staff public transit trains with teams of dwarven city employees.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I think it seems incredibly strong for limited. If I had to guess I would say the average KLD draft deck would crush most other formats.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Injuryprone posted:

Do ya'll think that Kaladesh looks to be a stronger set than SOI or EMN?

Stronger as in what? Power level? I guess that is going to depend on how good new chandra is and if vehicles are really good. Languish made some deck options unplayable the during SOI and EMN. Those decks get to do their funky things now without good ways to deal with them. Certain cards like olivia and drana might see play when they simply couldn't beat a languish deck before.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Man, watching the top 8 of SCG Orlando made me wish for Modern to die and be replaced by holo-extended already.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Retromancer posted:

Man, watching the top 8 of SCG Orlando made me wish for Modern to die and be replaced by holo-extended already.

Why? What's the appeal of a half-step between Modern and Standard, anyway?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

KLD is strong as hell and thankfully the removal is as well.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

Soul Glo posted:

Why? What's the appeal of a half-step between Modern and Standard, anyway?

Selling Waste Not for more than four dollars :homebrew:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
do you think Modern would be improved or worsened if they got rid of the "no consistent wins before turn 4" mandate

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Sickening posted:

Stronger as in what? Power level? I guess that is going to depend on how good new chandra is and if vehicles are really good. Languish made some deck options unplayable the during SOI and EMN. Those decks get to do their funky things now without good ways to deal with them. Certain cards like olivia and drana might see play when they simply couldn't beat a languish deck before.

Mechanically I guess? I started playing during SOI and EMN and it seems like nothing caught on except W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

do you think Modern would be improved or worsened if they got rid of the "no consistent wins before turn 4" mandate

80% of decks win on turn 3 or 4 anyway

• Locked thread