Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Very basically, she's not Alicia. It's a Skrull impersonating her.

Of loving course it is. Was Byrne writing F4 at that point ('87)? I've been tempted to read his run since I've read the other famous runs, Lee/Kirby, Waid, Hickman.

Skrulls were in the second issue of F4, and they've been loving up the Marvel universe ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No, at that time it was supposed to actually be Alicia. She was retconned into being Lyja a few years later.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

No, at that time it was supposed to actually be Alicia. She was retconned into being Lyja a few years later.

Then my original question still stands. How the gently caress is Johnny Storm dating Alicia Masters?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think Ben's still stuck on the Secret Wars planet because he can shift forms freely there. Johnny decides to try dating Alicia because he's a jerk!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Then my original question still stands. How the gently caress is Johnny Storm dating Alicia Masters?

They actually got married. They got close because Ben left the planet after Secret Wars.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I think Ben's still stuck on the Secret Wars planet because he can shift forms freely there. Johnny decides to try dating Alicia because he's a jerk!

So that's two relationships hosed up by Secret Wars (Colossus broke up with Kitty because he was in love with a dead alien girl from that planet).

Oh and people who care about creepy poo poo in Claremont comics, F4 vs. X-Men ends with a naked ghost Kitty Pryde doing a waltz with the astral projection of a toddler Franklin Richards.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Oh and people who care about creepy poo poo in Claremont comics,

Yo, what's up?

Skwirl posted:

F4 vs. X-Men ends with a naked ghost Kitty Pryde doing a waltz with the astral projection of a toddler Franklin Richards.

Uh, I... I gotta go.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Another X-Men question, How does Kitty come back from the giant phased bullet thing in Breakworld? I switch up my 80's X-Men with Millennial X-Men when I need a break from Claremont's purple prose.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

Another X-Men question, How does Kitty come back from the giant phased bullet thing in Breakworld? I switch up my 80's X-Men with Millennial X-Men when I need a break from Claremont's purple prose.

Magneto brought her back as a goodwill gesture back during the start of his time as an X-Man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SynthOrange posted:

Johnny decides to try dating Alicia because he's a jerk!

Here's something to chew over - in her first appearance, much is made of Alicia apparently looking almost identical to Sue if you put a blonde wig on her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's something to chew over - in her first appearance, much is made of Alicia apparently looking almost identical to Sue if you put a blonde wig on her.

Comics are the best.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Magneto brought her back as a goodwill gesture back during the start of his time as an X-Man.

That was a really good time to be reading Uncanny X-Men.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lobok posted:

I remember one panel of Harold and Ace walking down a tunnel and I feel like the narration said something to the effect of both of them gave Jean-Paul a wide berth and stayed clear.
That's also the exposition section that has Tim walking up to his preferred entrance and finding it walled up.

JP basically takes over a part of it and makes it his own workshop space though.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has there ever been a good/heroic incarnation of Ultron?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Could you argue Victor from Runaways?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats not Ultron thats just one of his offspring.

I think Ultron single digits wanted to be good then got killed by the next iteration.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SynthOrange posted:

Thats not Ultron thats just one of his offspring.
Is that a philosophical point, assuming he shares the base code with Dadtron?

Angsty Vic Mancha snaps back with "I wish my awareness subroutines had never forked from yours! :argh:"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

FilthyImp posted:

Is that a philosophical point, assuming he shares the base code with Dadtron?

Angsty Vic Mancha snaps back with "I wish my awareness subroutines had never forked from yours! :argh:"

Then murders his nephew

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Schneider Heim posted:

Has there ever been a good/heroic incarnation of Ultron?

Maybe Ultron 8 from Old Man Logan, in that, he's not out to rule the world, or overthrow humanity. He's basically step-dad to Hawkeye's kid.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Then murders his nephew

Hey, come on. It was an accident. That makes it manslaughter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ultron 12 was the one who turned nice.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

CzarChasm posted:

Maybe Ultron 8 from Old Man Logan, in that, he's not out to rule the world, or overthrow humanity. He's basically step-dad to Hawkeye's kid.

That's really cute.

Lurdiak posted:

Ultron 12 was the one who turned nice.

Ooh! I must see this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was West Coast Avengers, so me and my "40 years of Avengers" DVD unfortunately can't help.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Ultron Mark XII, also known as "Mark". Very pathos-y, because of course he dies saving everybody from another Ultron.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Ultron Mark XII, also known as "Mark". Very pathos-y, because of course he dies saving everybody from another Ultron.

Like Weyoun 6!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Travis343 posted:

I try to ignore Hush and War Games as much as I possibly can, so Harold walked off into the sunset and helped rebuild Gotham City and lived happily ever after, as far as I'm concerned.

Things worked out OK for Stephanie, she got 2 years of one of the best Batgirl comics ever and she's kicking rear end over in Detective now. I mean she did get erased from reality for about five years in between but who's really keeping track?

Poor Cass, though, she lost her BFF to lovely writing, her Bludhaven supporting cast to Infinite Crisis, THEN got Beechened, and right when she was about to finally get a stable status quo as consolation prize, she gets written out of the universe or having ever been Batgirl. Then her budding relationship with Tim gets thrown out the window in Convergence for a lazy writer to go back to Steph angsting over Tim & vice versa because the writer was pretty much stuck in the late 90s. Then she's FINALLY added back to the universe with a new, more traumatic backstory (because of cause it is) and a garbage costume and codename.

Actually that reminds me - how are they planning to explain Pre-Flashpoint Earth being in Convergence if the New 52 was actually the 'real' DCU all along?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually that reminds me - how are they planning to explain Pre-Flashpoint Earth being in Convergence if the New 52 was actually the 'real' DCU all along?

Considering the Superman titles are still running with the idea Superbro died and was replaced with the pre-Flashpoint version, there's probably gonna be an explanation but it'll be too convoluted for me to care.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Poor Cass, though, she lost her BFF to lovely writing, her Bludhaven supporting cast to Infinite Crisis, THEN got Beechened, and right when she was about to finally get a stable status quo as consolation prize, she gets written out of the universe or having ever been Batgirl. Then her budding relationship with Tim gets thrown out the window in Convergence for a lazy writer to go back to Steph angsting over Tim & vice versa because the writer was pretty much stuck in the late 90s. Then she's FINALLY added back to the universe with a new, more traumatic backstory (because of cause it is) and a garbage costume and codename.

Whats the garvage new origin? ive read everything in No mans land about her and really confused what they could have tweaked

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's worse, Orphan or BLACKBAT?

(Cassandra really likes Taskmaster's alternate costume.)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Halloween Jack posted:

What's worse, Orphan or BLACKBAT?

(Cassandra really likes Taskmaster's alternate costume.)

The Orphan costume is definitely worse. I actually like the name better than Black Bat.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Whats the garvage new origin? ive read everything in No mans land about her and really confused what they could have tweaked

Well, instead of her realising how terrible murder is the first time she kills somebody, instead her father (who seems almost gleefully abusive, whereas Pre-Flashpoint David Cain was still obviously a monstrous human being did genuinely care for his daughter and she seemed to also have some positive feelings for him) instead makes her watch as he murders a whole bunch of people in front of her to traumatise her. Then it turns out she killed Harper Row's mom. Then when she becomes a member of the batfamily she doesn't even get a costume of her own, just literally adds a full-face mask to her previous costume that she wore while still under her father's thumb - and calling herself Orphan - AKA the codename her father was using.

Now I'm not calling her origin in and itself 'garbage' - general consensus is that it was fairly well written - but the insertion of over-the-top darkness and murder - her classic origin was hardly sunshine and rainbows, but there's a bit in her series were Cass flashes back to her and her dad staring up at the stars together - whereas the only real bonding I could see for the New52 versions is murder time in the basement. The codename/costume thing is garbage, though. I mean she literally smeared a bat on her face in blood at one point in the story to show she's fully committed to the Batfamily, but never bothers to put one her her costume? What the heck, DC.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I liked Black Bat as the Batman of China. Maybe it sounds bad rear end in Chinese. Orphan is just the most depressing super hero name. "You have no parents? My planet blew up. I'm Superman, I don't go around calling myself the Last Son of Krypton."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't know if her new origin is actually any darker than the original, you're already dealing with one of the most extreme abusive parents in the history of comics, but they really did lose a great character in the old David Cain.

I think having her kill Harper's mom is a great change, especially since it was Batman's fault it happened at all. It makes Cassandra and Harper's origins much more personal to the bat family at the same time,without changing the core of Cassandra's character.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
"Orphan Battle" is my friends' nickname for Batman vs. Superman.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm against any storylines that allow writers to have Batman and his adopted kids endlessly agonize over his dumb rules about killing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm against any storylines that allow writers to have Batman and his adopted kids endlessly agonize over his dumb rules about killing.

People complain about Red Hood, but the whole "Batman politely looks the other way" thing has been going on since Katana.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

People complain about Red Hood, but the whole "Batman politely looks the other way" thing has been going on since Katana.

I missed the issues where Katana was Robin, and where she was like a child to Bruce, and where she started wearing a batsymbol on her outfit.

(Also the Outsiders sucked, I'll be more than happy to complain about that)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

I missed the issues where Katana was Robin, and where she was like a child to Bruce, and where she started wearing a batsymbol on her outfit.

There's always Beware the Batpffthahaha.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

WickedHate posted:

In fact in the original Batman and the Outsider's series there is a scene where Batman is trying to interrogate a dude. And the guy is like "But I know the Batman has a code against killing!"

And Batman just says "I may have...BUT SHE DOESN'T." Then he points to Katana, and he smiles in this really creepy way that Jim Apero would do with Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This got me thinking: how many Marvel-616 villains (I haven't read through Secret Wars yet :smith:) reformed and had it stick?