Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Inacio posted:

Hot drat that's a nice view :stare:

Where is that?

Gotta be SFO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

thetechnoloser posted:

Gotta be SFO.

Yup.

Just saw this take off:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Hydrofoils went with trubines for weight reasons. They're ~very~ light for the installed power. But they're also "more or less" spec engines now. IIRC there's an intake limiter which does a very good job at ensuring they make a given horsepower.

I don't think there's such restrictions on running an allison. However you take a huge weight penalty.

As for them being aeronautical insantiy... there's two pedals on the floor, one is for the flap on the front wing, the other is the gas pedal. "aerodynamic controls"... I call that a plane. :-)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Dammit, now I'm tempted to buy the realistic plane icons for FlightRadar. I do wish, though, that living in the DC area it'd show military aircraft, with the exception of HMX-1 helos and Ospreys.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got closer

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do wish, though, that living in the DC area it'd show military aircraft, with the exception of HMX-1 helos and Ospreys.

Joke's on you! Most of our stuff doesn't have ADS-B/Enhanced Mode S yet because we're waiting until the 11th hour deadline because we're the US Military and that's how we roll.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This is a good read on the Auto-GCAS system recently featured in the F-16 G-lock video, written when the system was in testing. http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article8.html

quote:

A USAF, Lockheed Martin, NASA and Swedish air force Advanced Fighter Technology Integration (AFTI) team completed flight tests of an automatic ground collision-avoidance system or Auto-GCAS on an upgraded USAF Block 25 F-16D in the fall of 1998. In 29 flights, the team conducted more than 350 test maneuvers - such as diving at the ground and the side of mountains - to fulfill two key objectives of the program:

Demonstrate that an Auto-GCAS could significantly reduce critical fighter-aircraft mishaps resulting from pilot spatial disorientation, loss of situational awareness, G-induced loss of consciousness (G-LOC) and gear-up landings.
Identify any areas where an Auto-GCAS might impede a pilot's performance of standard tactical missions.
During a dramatic 1-hr. demonstration flight for this it became clear that these objectives essentially have been satisfied. The system is not mature enough to install in production fighters yet, but it's about 95% ready.

There is no funded program in place now, but the Air Force will probably field some type of Auto-GCAS on the F-16, F-22 and Joint Strike Fighter. Air Combat Command is developing a formal requirement, and there appears to be enough top-level interest in curtailing perennial CFIT accidents that the AFTI team's research won't be relegated to a dusty shelf, a senior USAF officer said.

The Swedish air force, which routinely flies missions down to 100 ft. above mountainous terrain, could be the first to install a production Auto-GCAS on their JAS 39 Gripens. Sweden's Forsvarets Materielverk (FMV) and Saab participated in Auto-GCAS development and flight tests, and cofunded the program with the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory under a collaborative agreement. Four Swedish air force pilots have flown Auto-GCAS demonstration profiles at Edwards AFB, and their assessment of the system's viability was very positive.

I found the system to be a sophisticated and complex--but quite robust and effective-- last-ditch method to save an "unaware" or unconscious pilot's life. LMTAS and Saab engineers blended GPS/inertial navigation inputs, a digital terrain database, a radar altimeter, and the AFTI F-16s autopilot with an Aircraft Response Model (ARM) to create a full-envelope, automatic ground collision avoidance system. The block 50 F-16 Terrain-Referenced Navigation System provides a "position" input to help a new algorithm decide what nearby terrain could present a hazard to the aircraft. Based on the fighter's maneuvering attitude at any given moment, a specific area of the terrain database is "scanned," and elevation information is compressed into a 2D model.
The ARM is a sophisticated simulation of the F-16, running at a real-time rate. "It's a fairly complicated algorithm that tracks fuel-burn, takes information from the stores management system [about weapons weight and drag], and even accounts for system processing delays," said Mark A. Skoog, USAF's AFTI F-16 test director. "Using the aircraft's current state, the ARM computes a full six-degree-of-freedom simulation during a roll to wings-level. At wings-level, [ARM switches] to a 2D-type recovery--a second-order modeling of the jet's pitch response. It calculates how much [kinetic] energy it can trade for altitude until the jet reaches a desired zoom-climb speed, then holds that speed."

Ultimately, the computer determines how much time is available before the aircraft will break through a pilot-selected minimum descent altitude (MDA), then triggers an autopilot- commanded protective maneuver. Typically, two chevrons (><) appear in the head-up display 5 sec. prior to an automatic fly-up, warning the pilot that Auto-GCAS is about to take over. If he takes no action, the chevrons move toward each other until their points meet, a flashing "break-X" symbol appears in the HUD and an aural warning annunciates, "Fly-up! Fly-up!"
At that instant, the Auto-GCAS commands some of the most aggressive, eye-watering maneuvers this ex-USAF flight test engineer and civil pilot has ever experienced.

If inverted (bank angle greater than 90 deg.) and somewhat nose-down, a negative 1g push throws the pilot "up" into his shoulder straps and lap belt to get the aircraft's nose headed skyward. Immediately, a 180-deg./sec. roll is commanded, bringing the aircraft to wings-level, right-side-up. Somewhere after passing the 90-deg.-bank point, a 5g pull-up is initiated at an approximately 4g/sec. rate. The system commands a maximum angle-of-attack recovery, if flight conditions will not sustain a 5g pull-up. When the flight path is pointed above threatening terrain, the Auto-GCAS disengages and announces, "You got it!"

If aircraft speed is insufficient to climb adequately during a pull-up, the system also will announce, "Power! Power!", urging the pilot to push the throttle forward and gain airspeed.

Skoog's system briefing prior to my flight emphasized the speed of these autopilot-performed lifesaving maneuvers, and the reason for their aggressiveness. "The roll has a very rapid onset. It'll impress a spot on the side of your head. Pilots will get their heads banged against the canopy. But for a sole-purpose Auto-GCAS, there's no reason to be delicate about the roll [rate]. Let's get to wings-level as quickly as we can," he said.

"The roll onset rate is faster than any pilot can command," Prosser added. "There's no way you can move your hand that fast to command a sharp onset. It's so fast that you get the impression the roll rate is much higher than it is."

Because pilots are adamant about having final authority over their aircraft, the AFTI test team initially gave the pilot an ability to always override the Auto-GCAS. Extensive testing, plus discussions with F-22 test pilots, changed that attitude.

"During all-terrain testing, we found that even the slightest override of the GCAS autopilot in the wrong direction would blast you through the [MDA] floor," Skoog said. "Trying to do elevated-g fly-ups, we saw hundreds of feet of additional altitude loss due to a 0.3-sec. override. We came out of the program knowing that we'd have less protection by giving the pilot total autopilot override [authority]. So, we lock-out the pilot in roll and yaw. He can add pitch up to the angle-of-attack limits," and can always deactivate the Auto-GCAS by hitting a "paddle" switch at the base of the control stick, or pushing with 19 lb. of force.

For our flight, Prosser set the Auto-GCAS in "Active" or "Low-Level" modes, with "Standby" appearing on the HUD only when the landing gear handle was moved to the gear-down position. He activated the system shortly after our takeoff from Edwards AFB in F-16D serial no. #81176, a Block 25 aircraft that had its avionics updated to a Block 40/50 configuration. As the first digital F-16 testbed, this airframe was operated under several structural limitations that restricted maneuvering somewhat.

Prosser initially demonstrated GCAS response rates by setting up a shallow dive, then pulling the gun-trigger on the F-16s sidestick controller to initiate a pilot-activated fly-up (PAFU). I repeated the PAFU check from a near-inverted, 30-deg. nose-down attitude, verifying that depressing the back-seat gun-trigger also would command a fly-up maneuver. This PAFU technique was used throughout the Auto-GCAS flight-test program to command an immediate pull-up for any safety-related reason.

A team of engineers in a mobile ground station monitored airspeed, dive angle, bank angle, Auto-GCAS status, time-to-fly-up, and distance-from-terrain data telemetered from the jet. Special computer displays in that control room enabled an immediate "abort" call if engineers saw any aircraft parameter exceed preset limits.

The test pilot also could initiate a PAFU if he "exceeded his comfort level," Prosser said. Extensive testing has shown that pilots typically initiated a pull-up about 1.5 sec. before they would hit the ground.

"We had to have pretty tight tolerances for these test runs," Prosser said. For one that simulated a blacked-out pilot in a steep dive, "that meant we only had a 10-deg. dive, 20-deg. bank and 50-kt. airspeed [tolerance]. When you're pointing straight down, that's pretty hard to nail."

During Prosser's final demonstration of an aggressive PAFU-commanded recovery from an initial 120-deg. bank, 17-deg. nose-down attitude, our spare digital data transfer cartridge (stowed in the front cockpit) smashed through the map case cover due to the sharp negative 1g push-up. The cartridge--slightly larger and much heavier than a VHS videotape cassette--hit the canopy, flew aft toward me, then, during the positive-g pull-up, slammed onto a panel between our cockpits. It was an unexpected and graphic illustration of the high accelerations and forces commanded by the AFTI F-16 autopilot.

After moderate checks of the system at shallow dive angles and an aborted run or two, Prosser simulated several fatal mishaps. The first replicated a pilot flying on night-vision goggles (NVG) and losing situational awareness. With Auto-GCAS minimum descent altitude set at 500-ft. AGL (a medium-risk test condition), Prosser rolled into a partially inverted 5g turn, then back to a 90-deg. bank before relaxing his grip on the stick. The mishap pilot had lost the night horizon and, thinking he was approximately wings-level, let the nose fall. He was unknowingly diving toward the ground. Similar NVG-related accidents have killed F-16 and A-10 pilots.

While the flat Rosamond Dry Lake raced upward at us, filling my out-the-canopy field-of-view, I glanced at my back-seat HUD repeater and saw two large chevrons moving toward the center of the display. Their arrow-points touched, and we immediately snap-rolled to wings-level and pulled sharply to about 10 deg. nose-up. When the "You got it!" annunciation sounded, we were climbing at about 317 kt. and 2,940 ft., roughly 600+ ft. above the lakebed--an artificially high altitude established for safety reasons.

"[Auto-GCAS] just saved your life," Prosser said.

USAF F-16D block 25, #83176, used for the combined US-Swedish GCAS trials, held in 1998 (USAF photo)
The next mishap simulation depicted a pilot dropping a low-drag bomb in a 20-deg. dive, then pulling up at 5g, rolling into a 135-deg. left bank and looking over his shoulder to watch the bomb's impact. Instead of climbing to downwind, however, the unwary pilot allowed the aircraft nose to drop about 20 deg. below the horizon.

We initiated the test run from a base altitude of 8,300 ft., simulated a bomb release at 375 kt. CAS and 5,500 ft., and started a 5g pull-up. Prosser rolled 135-deg. left and let the nose drop. However, our dive angle rapidly increased to 28 deg, prompting an abort call from the ground-based control room and a pilot-initiated fly-up via the PAFU switch about 1 sec. early. Local air-traffic conflicts precluded a repeat run.

Prosser reset the Auto-GCAS MDA to 50 ft., selected "ground speed" for display on the HUD and descended into a preplanned low-level tactical course. To avoid unnecessary distractions, he eliminated the chevrons from the HUD, as well. We flew about 200 ft. above the ground at 520-560 kt., popping over high-tension power lines, hills and small ridges. Slipping through cuts in the desert mountains, rolling inverted to pull down the backside of ridges, and carving around the sides of rocky hills, Prosser demonstrated that a pilot could fly a normal, low-level tactical mission without experiencing a single nuisance fly-up.

"So far, [Auto-GCAS] has not impeded our mission at all," he noted.

When we were inverted, the system lost radar altitude information, which double-checks aircraft location by comparing the ground's contours along the flight path with those stored in the digital terrain database. However, the sophisticated Auto-GCAS algorithms compensated appropriately, relying on inertial system-derived altitude information when necessary.

The test pilot reset our MDA to 200 ft. and flew at a constant altitude across a peak to demonstrate the slight "speedbump" effect of grazing that minimum-descent altitude. The Auto-GCAS "fly-up" was very brief and docile--just enough to let a pilot know he was close to the protective altitude band separating his aircraft and the terrain. Prosser had restored the chevrons to their normal 5-sec. prefly-up appearance schedule, which warned us of an impending "bump" as the peak approached.

Because Fremont Peak was just beyond, we experienced a second brief "Fly-up! Fly-up!" call when Fremont came into the system's scan pattern a second or so after getting the first "speedbump" fly-up. The second one was almost imperceptible, though.

Before the next two runs--directly at the steep slopes of what the test team dubbed "GCAS Mountain"--Prosser explained the euphemism, "pilot comfort level."

"We'll have the flight path marker in the dirt, so [these] will engage my [personal] comfort level," he said. A test pilot's judgment about how long to wait before squeezing the PAFU trigger was a significant factor in Auto-GCAS development, and personal differences had to be accounted for in the data processing.

Our first run was a wings-level, 465-kt. approach to GCAS Mountain with a 700-ft. MDA set. The HUD's flight path marker was aimed about 2/3 up the peak, and the desert rocks, dirt and scrub brush raced rapidly at our windscreen. About the time I would liked to have suggested "Pull NOW!", the system took over and the 5g-plus pull-up drove me down in the seat. The g-onset was so rapid, then sustained, that the oxygen mask threatened to slide over my nose, and the g-suit tried to compress my lower body to half its normal size, it seemed. The aircraft nose reared up to a 28-deg.-high deck angle before the "You got it!" call sounded. The radar altimeter showed we were 1,040 ft. above the mountain, and our speed had dropped to about 400 kt.

"That one was pretty close to my comfort level," Prosser quipped. "I wouldn't have gone, maybe, 2 more seconds," which was about 2 sec. beyond the Aviation Week guy's comfort level.

The next run was one of the most-impressive--a 30-deg. dive directly at the side of GCAS Mountain. Prosser set the Auto-GCAS MDA to 2,000 ft. (considered a low-risk test MDA), climbed to 7,500 ft., rolled inverted and pulled the nose down to -25 deg. He snapped the fighter back to wings-level and pushed the nose further down to hold a 30-deg. dive angle, aiming at the rock-strewn mountain. The fly-up annunciation came at 2,750 ft. AGL and around 400 kt., triggering a long, 5.3g pull-up.

Even test pilots met their match when flying this test point during the development effort. None of the program's pilots would go lower than a 100-ft. MDA.

Next, Prosser set a 50-ft. MDA and descended to 100-150-ft. AGL for a low-level run over fairly smooth terrain at about 500 KTAS. Again, there were no nuisance fly-ups as we raced across the desert floor along Cords Road. Prosser pointed our flight path marker at the base of Desert Butte, a lone mountain north of Edwards AFB. The jagged mountain filled our windscreen--and extended well above it--before we heard "Fly-up! Fly-up!" Just as the high-g pull-up relaxed, another fly-up was triggered, possibly because Prosser had hit the PAFU trigger almost coincidentally with the Auto-GCAS activation.

Prosser concluded the mishap demonstrations with a simulated G-LOC situation, emulating a pilot who pulled enough gs to pass out. Its pilot unconscious, the fighter eventually would fall nose-down and accelerate.

With a conservative 6,000-ft. test MDA set, our first attempt was aborted when airspeed exceeded test limits. On the second try, Prosser rolled into a 120-deg.-bank, 5g turn at 20,250 ft., then relaxed, letting the nose drop. Even with speedbrakes extended and power at idle, we hit 530 KTAS and were 55 deg. nose-down in a roughly 110-deg. bank when the Auto-GCAS triggered a fly-up around 12,200-ft. MSL. The system then had to overcome our approximately 900-ft./sec. descent rate. A data check indicated our recovery bottomed out 280 ft. above the MDA.

"We were milliseconds away from hitting the 'ground,'" when the Auto-GCAS took over, rescuing the unconscious pilot, Prosser said.

On final approach for landing at Edwards, the Auto-GCAS switched to "Standby" as soon as the gear handle was lowered. If we had made a touch-and-go, the system would have automatically reactivated at gear-up. For safety reasons, it also is automatically deactivated when the air refueling door is opened, or alternate flaps are selected.

About the only key improvement that needs to be made to the Auto-GCAS tested here is installation of faster microprocessors and, possibly, an alternate navigation "solution," Skoog said. Even then, no processor-related problems were noted during flight evaluations until the F-16 approached 800 KTAS, well beyond where most missions would be flown in proximity to hazardous terrain.

The Air Force and its Swedish partners are laying out follow-on efforts, but those familiar with the recent test program agree this AFTI F-16 team has completed the necessary development, and done it safely. Without question, they have lived up to the program's Swedish motto: "Du Kan Inte Flyga Lagre," which translates to "You Can't Fly Any Lower."

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
The never ending march of technology. In 1998 this took a large joint-government research program to implement with an advanced fighter.

In 2016 it happens on a $100 piece of hardware:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCQ8OG3xbHE

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Vitamin J posted:

The never ending march of technology. In 1998 this took a large joint-government research program to implement with an advanced fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCQ8OG3xbHE

They call it a jet but it's got a prop. :nallears:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vitamin J posted:

That's pretty awesome, though of course one has to keep in mind that things become a LOT simpler when a failure costs hundreds or thousands rather than millions plus possibly lives. I'm sure R/C planes can pull significantly more extreme maneuvers than their real life counterparts as well for the standard strength scaling reasons, so the system probably doesn't have to be as concerned with breaking things by pulling up too hard. I'll also bet that it doesn't factor for terrain and just assumes that the ground in the entire flight area is level with wherever it took off from.

Still freaking cool that it basically gives R/C pilots an "oh poo poo" button where the computer will do it's best to level itself out and aim back towards them. That might actually be what I need to get in to R/C planes, the idea of likely wrecking a few while learning always made me lean back towards cars.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dead Jedi posted:

I often see these afterburner shots and they have these non-continuous, ghosted flame effects.

What's the science here? Are these waves, moving backwards? Are they steady in relation to the aircraft?

Mach diamonds? Mach diamonds.

They're standing waves in the exhaust stream, and are characteristic of the engine geometry, not the power setting. In the SR-71 image you can see how they can be distorted by airflow, like the rest of the exhaust stream, but in clean air they are usually static regardless of power level. Here's a real nice video of that in a rocket engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjoY_cSmQ70

You can see how the diamonds are basically fixed in space, and as the engine shuts down they get fainter, but they don't move significantly backwards or forwards.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

wolrah posted:

That's pretty awesome, though of course one has to keep in mind that things become a LOT simpler when a failure costs hundreds or thousands rather than millions plus possibly lives. I'm sure R/C planes can pull significantly more extreme maneuvers than their real life counterparts as well for the standard strength scaling reasons, so the system probably doesn't have to be as concerned with breaking things by pulling up too hard. I'll also bet that it doesn't factor for terrain and just assumes that the ground in the entire flight area is level with wherever it took off from.

Still freaking cool that it basically gives R/C pilots an "oh poo poo" button where the computer will do it's best to level itself out and aim back towards them. That might actually be what I need to get in to R/C planes, the idea of likely wrecking a few while learning always made me lean back towards cars.

Modern foamies are becoming asymptotic with indestructibity.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://i.imgur.com/fLqex0e.gifv
Gripen down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yf_QTbDeWM

marumaru
May 20, 2013

God drat, you can actually feel the sadness of the pilot there. That slow walk towards the crash site... :(

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm just glad it was an RC replica and not a real Gripen, so the pilot was safely on the ground the whole time and could actually walk to the crash site.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

TBF any Brazilian with that much money to throw around probably built their stack on a pile of corpses

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I will now file this under NOPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAdCt6qgj9k

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

And that led me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLgR3Ipo-Ng

marumaru
May 20, 2013

shame on an IGA posted:

TBF any Brazilian with that much money to throw around probably built their stack on a pile of corpses

yeah its absolutely inconceivable that a brazilian has a regular 9-5 job to finance their hobbies

lmao good joke though my dude

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Inacio posted:

yeah its absolutely inconceivable that a brazilian has a regular 9-5 job to finance their hobbies

lmao good joke though my dude

I have a good paying software dev job in the US and I can't afford RC stuff like that, so you'll have to excuse those of us that know it's an expensive hobby and can safely presume that that guy is very well off for a Brazilian if he has stuff like that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
almost as funny as calling someone playing with a toy a pilot

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's a bit of a leap to go from "has disposable income" to "built on a stack of corpses."

I mean for all you know his parents might have been Nazis on the run and his fortune is built on stolen Jewish gold.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Microjets are pretty badass as cruise missile surrogates in military exercises. I talked to a pilot who said he had "only" had to jump out of one twice. Once he was at altitude ferrying the aircraft and the other time he was at treetop level simulating a cruise missile, but basically going max speed, so was able to nose up and basically jump off of it when it was drat near standing still in the air.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Was about to mention the CriCri when I noticed it's in the post you replied to.

Tinyass planes are really cool for some reason.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Microjets are pretty badass as cruise missile surrogates in military exercises. I talked to a pilot who said he had "only" had to jump out of one twice. Once he was at altitude ferrying the aircraft and the other time he was at treetop level simulating a cruise missile, but basically going max speed, so was able to nose up and basically jump off of it when it was drat near standing still in the air.

I still remember the opening from Octopussy with the BD-5.

Can't believe I missed this article: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/james-bonds-micro-jet-lives-on-as-a-pretend-cruise-miss-1613344267

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 18, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still remember the opening from Octopussy with the BD-5.

Can't believe I missed this article: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/james-bonds-micro-jet-lives-on-as-a-pretend-cruise-miss-1613344267

That's very cool. I remember seeing the Coors Light BD-5s at airshows and being amazed by how tiny they were. The roll past the crowd was great especially.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Something something your mother

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

The bombadier position under the nose always makes me think they've got a second cockpit down there for when they want to fly inverted.

*edit*
After reading the SMART-1 story and watching the James Bond clip I noticed a different piece of Aero Insanity sitting in front of the hanger.

Yes, those are windows up in the tail booms. Acording to wiki there's even bathrooms and hatches for paratroopers in there.

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 18, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Not pictured: aircraft is 6 miles past the end of the runway it departed from and still climbing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ardeem posted:

The bombadier position under the nose always makes me think they've got a second cockpit down there for when they want to fly inverted.

*edit*
After reading the SMART-1 story and watching the James Bond clip I noticed a different piece of Aero Insanity sitting in front of the hanger.

Yes, those are windows up in the tail booms. Acording to wiki there's even bathrooms and hatches for paratroopers in there.

It's like somebody saw a C-119 and said "embiggen it!"

What is it?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's like somebody saw a C-119 and said "embiggen it!"

What is it?

I believe it's called the Blackburn Beverley.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

One of my 'bucket list' items is to fly in an Il-76 (with plenty of ear protection) so I could look out the navigator's window up front. There are shockingly few images of perspectives from that angle on Google Image Search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEeXBnOE9qI (warning, kind of loud)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 19, 2016

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

One of my 'bucket list' items is to fly in an Il-76 (with plenty of ear protection) so I could look out the navigator's window up front. There are shockingly few images of perspectives from that angle on Google Image Search.

If you like the IL-76 and haven't read Outlaws Inc then you need to.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

St_Ides posted:

If you like the IL-76 and haven't read Outlaws Inc then you need to.

Well, to be fair, part of the reason it's a 'bucket list' item is because there's shockingly higher chance of dying while flying in an Il-76 compared to a plane that wasn't built more with quotas in mind over build quality.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, to be fair, part of the reason it's a 'bucket list' item is because there's shockingly higher chance of dying while flying in an Il-76 compared to a plane that wasn't built more with quotas in mind over build quality.

I'm not sure how much of it is that, and how much of it is the fact that Il-76s these days tend to get flown into very interesting places by very interesting people.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm not sure how much of it is that, and how much of it is the fact that Il-76s these days tend to get flown into very interesting places by very interesting people.

A very fair point.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I spent the weekend at the Reno air races, which was pretty cool. Over the course of three days, four airplanes ended up being severely damaged (a Vampire landed in the desert after an engine failure Friday, a sport racer had an engine fire Saturday, and two biplanes hit each other on the runway Sunday) with zero injuries, and the racing was pretty good.

The biplane, Formula 1, T-6, jet and sport classes had some extremely close racing all weekend, and the final T-6 race ended with the first two airplanes finishing under 1/10 of a second apart. All of those classes had several good battles for position through the weekend, with a lot of passing and some pretty impressive comebacks as well.

Probably biggest disappointment was the unlimited class. The unlimited winner was effectively decided a couple of months ago when it was announced that Voodoo was the only real contender that was going to show up (the rest of the field was a highly modified Yak-11, and four Sea Furies that ranged from heavily modified to bone stock) and the race results bore that out. Voodoo turned the first lap of the unlimited final at 495mph, and once it was obvious that there was no real competition (the second place airplane was probably 8 seconds back after lap 1) the subsequent laps were much slower, with the last lap being somewhere around 450mph.

I don't think there was a single pass in the unlimiteds the three days I was there, but getting to see a P-51 doing almost 500mph as well as a Sea Fury still running the original sleeve valve engine (even though it was nowhere close to being competitive) was pretty cool.

I have a couple thousand pictures to sort through, so I'll try and post some here when I get home tomorrow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I was there last year (or was it 2 now?). Did the AF have a good demo? F22s where there when I was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Friday had a couple of flybys from a pair of F-35's as well as a pair of F-4's (which were probably the last ones the Phantom will ever do) before they landed to become static displays, but the only other military flying was the Blue Angels and the USAF parachute team that jumped in for the opening ceremony every day.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 19, 2016