Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wqOApBLPio

jason kander is gonna win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Bernie was on the stump for McGinty yesterday

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So, anyone want to make a House prediction? I'm thinking it'll be ~12 Dem pickups, give or take 4. (That's an 8-16 range). Dems need net 30 pickups to retake control of the House, but at the very least that result would mostly claw back from the disastrous loss of 13 seats in 2014 when Dems were already way down.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Patter Song posted:

So, anyone want to make a House prediction?

It's not lupus.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
So why is Johnson going to lose in Wisconsin? Do people hate him, or is Feingold really well liked?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ego-bot posted:

So why is Johnson going to lose in Wisconsin? Do people hate him, or is Feingold really well liked?

six of one, half dozen of the other

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
johnson always shrivels up in the wisconsin winter

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

johnson is widely regarded, even in Republican circles, as one of the dumbest motherfuckers alive

it's a big part of why he's been a dead man walking even though he beat feingold once before, all the republican donors aren't interested in helping him since they figure it'd be a waste

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Patter Song posted:

So, anyone want to make a House prediction? I'm thinking it'll be ~12 Dem pickups, give or take 4. (That's an 8-16 range). Dems need net 30 pickups to retake control of the House, but at the very least that result would mostly claw back from the disastrous loss of 13 seats in 2014 when Dems were already way down.
I'm putting it at 16, give or take 4. If the election were held today, I'd put the number at 12. That number going any lower is about as likely to me as Democrats sweeping back to control of the House in a wave, that is to say within the realm of the possible, but only just barely.

If things reasonably break their way, I could see Democrats going as high as 20 pickups, but that's sweeping all the contests that are currently up in the air, and to go further, they'd have to make inroads into solidly Republican districts and I just don't see that happening.

Even if this turns into a wave election, which it sure isn't right now and hasn't really ever been this cycle, that their max is 25-28 pickups, and that would require Trump imploding and significantly driving down voter turnout and thus flipping a few medium red districts.

It's really hard to overstate just how badly the current House districting screws Democrats in the short term. Their best hope of getting it back is to claw their way back into striking distance this election, then minimize damage in 2018, so that they can have a fighting chance of undoing the 2010 gerrymander-from-hell in 2020.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

if they want to undo the gerrymander, they have to win enough state legislative and gubernatorial races, probably the majority of which are not on the same ballot as the president*, to pass the maps (or get scotus to force fair districting amendments somehow). even if this was a wave election they probably wouldn't be able to keep poo poo going through the other three years of the four-year cycle, because it's never happened with the post-final-death-spasms-of-the-jim-crow-democrat coalition

scotus coming up with a 'test' that actually stops gerrymandering for political advantage is probably the best shot, and i don't know what kind of pretzels lawyers are twisting precedent into to go for or against that so i have no idea how likeliy it is, but i doubt they'd get something gop-proof ready for 2020. the best hope through the courts is probably tearing apart some of the gerrymanders before more than half of the elections set to run on the map have already been successfully cheated, which was the amazing bar set this last decade

*i feel like this information must be contained in an article or something somewhere, i dont feel like doing the research myself

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

this is the 2018 gubernatorial map. on top of that, Virginia and NJ are 2017 (bright colours are term limited/retiring, black unknown because the incumbent will get elected in 2016)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

oystertoadfish posted:

if they want to undo the gerrymander, they have to win enough state legislative and gubernatorial races, probably the majority of which are not on the same ballot as the president*, to pass the maps (or get scotus to force fair districting amendments somehow). even if this was a wave election they probably wouldn't be able to keep poo poo going through the other three years of the four-year cycle, because it's never happened with the post-final-death-spasms-of-the-jim-crow-democrat coalition

scotus coming up with a 'test' that actually stops gerrymandering for political advantage is probably the best shot, and i don't know what kind of pretzels lawyers are twisting precedent into to go for or against that so i have no idea how likeliy it is, but i doubt they'd get something gop-proof ready for 2020. the best hope through the courts is probably tearing apart some of the gerrymanders before more than half of the elections set to run on the map have already been successfully cheated, which was the amazing bar set this last decade

*i feel like this information must be contained in an article or something somewhere, i dont feel like doing the research myself

Almost all state legislatures will be up in 2020 (barring weird cases like Virginia), but most governors won't be. The good* news is that Democrats were massacred so badly on the governor front in 2014 that even doing just OK will lead to a number of governor pickups in 2018, especially Maryland, Illinois, and Michigan, the former two because there's no loving reason they should have a GOP governor, the latter because the incumbent governor poisoned tens of thousands of his constituents. That said, Dems won't be in any better position to pick up state legislatures in 2020 than we are this year, because the legislatures are...gerrymandered.

It's a bit of a vicious circle.

*Not actually good

EDIT: If Dems in Maine somehow gently caress up picking up that governor's mansion AGAIN for the third time...

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

^^i guess the hope is that they pass their instant runoff voting referendum, or whatever that situation is. that would be both trivially interesting and would effect political change, i think

before trump showed up i was reading dke type liberal cheerleaders talking about how it'd be better to lose 2016 so the (apparently confidently assumed) midterm wave gets democrats those governors' mansions and such

i doubt that argument holds together really under any circumstances (yeah lets give the gop the most powerful office on earth and cackle about how much better next decade will be when the 11 dominos after that one all fall in exactly the right sequence and timing) but especially with trump around

either way liberals arent actually a majority of the country and all but one of the electorates in america (the ones that show up in years n+1 to n+3 of our four-year cycle) like republicans more than democrats. the fact that the gop fell over themselves trying to be franz von papen the moment an idiot reality tv star tore the facade off their base's hatred makes the gop a threat to american democracy, but i really doubt it'll change people's ingrained voting behavior at non-presidential levels given how little it's changed them on the presidential level. funny how that works

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i've got bad news about maryland

quote:

The popularity of Gov. Larry Hogan continues to soar.

Seventy-one percent of registered voters in the state — including 63 percent of Democrats and 88 percent of Republicans — approve of the job he is doing, according to a recent poll.

The poll was conducted by Annapolis-based OpinionWorks, which shared its findings with The Baltimore Sun in advance of their release Tuesday.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it took a surprisingly long time for snyder's approval rating to tank, given the circumstances. i was watching that one... happy that it finally did.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Zas posted:

it took a surprisingly long time for snyder's approval rating to tank, given the circumstances. i was watching that one... happy that it finally did.

All it took was smashing the unions, usurping local control across the state, and poisoning an entire city. The gently caress is wrong with my state?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nth Doctor posted:

All it took was smashing the unions, usurping local control across the state, and poisoning an entire city. The gently caress is wrong with my state?

Heavily segregated and full of whites who would love for Jim Crow to come back to control those ferals murdering each other in the city

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Patter Song posted:

EDIT: If Dems in Maine somehow gently caress up picking up that governor's mansion AGAIN for the third time...

Governor-For-Life Paul LePage is on to your bad attitude, Smoothy. You too, B-Money and Shifty.

(God I hate that man; I hope my Maine-residing family can help boot him)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rubio is still up by 8 in another recent Monmouth poll; I expect this to continue

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
who wants a lovely emerson poll?

Well you're gonna get it!

https://twitter.com/benchmarkpol/status/777944343965425664

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Imagine if Blunt and Burr lose but Toomey and Rubio hang on. No one would win their election day prediction contest then.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
https://twitter.com/CookPolitical/status/777979219808747521

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thanks for that, ive been neglecting the house races. they deserve to be neglected tho. but thanks

sabato's site said 10-15 a week and a half ago

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/house-2016-democrats-waiting-on-a-clinton-wave/

quote:

As of now, Republican House incumbents have seemed largely insulated from Trump down the ballot. Yes, our current ratings do suggest that Democrats should net somewhere in the low double digits. If one assumes that all the Safe, Likely, and Leaning seats in fact vote that way, Republicans would have 227 seats, and Democrats would have 192, with 16 Toss-ups. Split the Toss-ups down the middle, and Republicans would have 235 House seats and Democrats would have 200, for a net gain of 12 for the Democrats. That’s actually a tiny downgrade for Democrats from our most recent ratings, which showed Democrats netting 13 seats if one allocated the Toss-ups evenly. But our basic projection of a Democratic gain of 10-15 seats remains unchanged.

However, most of these potential Democratic gains can be attributed to redistricting — new maps in Florida and Virginia should allow Democrats to net a handful of seats — or to open seats or the weakness of a handful of Republican incumbents who probably are only in Congress because of the great, pro-Republican environment of 2014. Yes, some Republican incumbents will likely lose beyond the 2014 miracle makers, but so far there’s not a lot of indication that there will be many.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

5-20 is a uselessly wide range, Charlie Cook.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Patter Song posted:

Our outlook is a Dem gain of 5d4 seats

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Patter Song posted:

Yep, right about the range I'd expect to see from a narrow Trump victory to an eight point Hillary win, which is about what the range of possible outcomes looks like at the top of the ticket.

It's not really worthwhile to go down the list and try to predict each race, since there's nearly no public polling on a lot of them, and the races tend to revert back to the results of Generic Democrat vs. Generic Republican anyways. Candidates just don't have that much ability to move the needle.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

was there more house polling last time? i haven't been keeping up lately, but i get the impression there's less than in 2012. maybe it doesnt pick up until october?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

oystertoadfish posted:

was there more house polling last time? i haven't been keeping up lately, but i get the impression there's less than in 2012. maybe it doesnt pick up until october?
There was, but there is literally no universe where the Democrats flip the House without a 10+% victory for Hillary, and the best she's been at is a 7-8% victory, which only puts the House in play if Democrats sweep literally every race that is then in play.

If she gets back to that level, I expect to see public polling pick up, but there's little point otherwise.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rubio is still up by 8 in another recent Monmouth poll; I expect this to continue

Rubio is not going to lose reelection. He's going to get reelected and then resign shortly after the new Congress is gaveled in, allowing Voldemort to pick a replacement (who might not have won an election on their own) while Rubio leaves for whatever cushy job he was promised when he agreed to run again. That or he'll stay a Senator through the term and manage to do even less than he has already.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Frank Guinta (R) of NH's 1st Congressional District just narrowly won his primary after lying about $355,000 in illegal campaign contributions from his parents.

He'll face Carol Shea-Porter yet again for reelection.

I bring this up because it really shows the impact of voter turnout between presidential and midterm elections.

Carol Shea-Porter was first elected in 2006 and reelected in 2008. She lost to Guinta in 2010, defeated him in 2012, lost to him again in 2014, and will likely beat him in 2016.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

OhFunny posted:

Frank Guinta (R) of NH's 1st Congressional District just narrowly won his primary after lying about $355,000 in illegal campaign contributions from his parents.

He'll face Carol Shea-Porter yet again for reelection.

I bring this up because it really shows the impact of voter turnout between presidential and midterm elections.

Carol Shea-Porter was first elected in 2006 and reelected in 2008. She lost to Guinta in 2010, defeated him in 2012, lost to him again in 2014, and will likely beat him in 2016.
See also: Russ Feingold losing re-election during a bad midterm and almost certainly blowing out the same guy he lost to this year

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

The GOP classes get a d6, it's such bullshit :argh:

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

oystertoadfish posted:

incidentally some blog commissioned a professional poll of the Louisiana Senate race. Louisiana has its unique stupid election format, where theres no primary, every candidate from all parties runs on one ballot in November, and the top two have a December runoff. it's a better way for the gop than the California and Washington method of doing the same thing, but with a primary and the runoff in November, since you get the important election on the lower turnout date. anyway the link and results

They forgot to ask about the most important candidate: Donald "Crawdaddy" Crawford. (Yes, this is an actual name on the ballot. His position on abortion is "If you’re reading this, your momma was pro-life." Also wants to repeal the 17th amendment.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

That gives an approximation of a normal distribution, but I expect bimodal distribution, or at least a flattened bell. A fractional of a point in national numbers means winning or losing multiple races. Democrats are up 10–11 seats only if the conditions are just right.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Evil Fluffy posted:

Rubio is not going to lose reelection. He's going to get reelected and then resign shortly after the new Congress is gaveled in, allowing Voldemort to pick a replacement (who might not have won an election on their own) while Rubio leaves for whatever cushy job he was promised when he agreed to run again. That or he'll stay a Senator through the term and manage to do even less than he has already.

Rubio isn't going to resign. If he wanted a cushy patronage job he would have lined it up already. He didn't walk back a year of "no I'm not running again, the senate sucks" to quit in 6 months. The only way you'll get rid of Rubio before his next term is up is if he becomes president in 2020. Sorry Florida dems, better luck in 2022.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

Rubio isn't going to resign. If he wanted a cushy patronage job he would have lined it up already. He didn't walk back a year of "no I'm not running again, the senate sucks" to quit in 6 months. The only way you'll get rid of Rubio before his next term is up is if he becomes president in 2020. Sorry Florida dems, better luck in 2022.

unless..

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/778277737848987648

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rubio still wants to be president, so he's gonna stick it out in the Senate until 2020 when he'll try to run for the Republican nomination again. If he doesn't get it, I think he'll push hard behind the scenes for the VP slot. If he doesn't get that, I'd expect him to then retire to a cushy lobbying and/or corporate job.

Trying and failing to get the nomination twice (in 2016 and 2020) would likely eliminate any path to move from the Senate to the Presidency, but if he takes the VP nod, that opens up a new path if he wins.

Retiring before 2020 would be a tacit admission that he's done with running for public office, and I don't see any signs that he's there yet.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

rubio is gonna LOSE, book it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Zas posted:

rubio is gonna LOSE, book it
Thanks for the tip. Who's your mortal lock for week 3 of the NFL season?

• Locked thread