Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Ok so I bought this and it's taking forever to download and install, but is there any sort of list or progression I should follow to catch up as a brand new player? Should I just drop the insta level 40 thingy on my first guy?

Also is there a list of destiny related terminology? I was reading about how important it was to do a lot of edging before the release of ROI and I thought that was a pretty interesting and unique way for an entire community to celebrate the imminent release of an expansion until I realised it meant nearly maxing out your XP bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cpaf posted:

Ok so I bought this and it's taking forever to download and install, but is there any sort of list or progression I should follow to catch up as a brand new player? Should I just drop the insta level 40 thingy on my first guy?

No, if it's anything like the old insta level 25 ones it won't unlock any of the skills you're supposed to have at that level. Save it for an alt.

As for progression, the game now does a decent job of suggesting new activities for you (much better than at launch). Just follow the NPC nav points and any active quests.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
http://owlsector.bungie.net/#en

The map will most likely fillout sometime early tomorrow, The 0-88 in the top right corner along with the 76 hours since initialization has me thinking something will happen early tomorrow. This is my first destiny expac, so maybe I haven't been let down by bungie enough yet.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

cpaf posted:

Also is there a list of destiny related terminology? I was reading about how important it was to do a lot of edging before the release of ROI and I thought that was a pretty interesting and unique way for an entire community to celebrate the imminent release of an expansion until I realised it meant nearly maxing out your XP bar

Don't worry about it. The expansion comes out in 2 days and everything you do now will just be under leveled by then. Just have some fun and get whatever you can get done now.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

cpaf posted:

Make sure you play through vanilla Destiny missions, or else you won't understand all the talk of The Stranger when Rise of Iron launches

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

cpaf posted:

Just play through the game from the beginning. Don't rush to level 40, but some of the missions as you go up will be optional and not tied into the main story quest so you can skip them for now if you want (and replay later on at higher difficulty for extra XP). Once you get to the Taken King stuff quests will start giving you legendary marks and some decent weapons. This isn't world of warcraft with 110 levels and such, you'll reach level 40 and high light level pretty quick just by playing the game.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Well my Warlock is basically on standby until RoI launch. Cryptarch, Vanguard, Crucible, and FWC are all edged out.

cpaf posted:

What's your PSN? I can help you do some power leveling if you want.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Because you got CB you're in a decent spot. See if you can make hammer forged work for you, if not and you use stability you've basically got a CB braced frame doctrine with a bit more range and target acquisition. So not bad.

Sucks about agility tho, QuickDraw is OP

Thanks, you're a gun whisperer. By the way are you interested in that Angel's Advocate that's dropping next week?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
For everyone saying Bad Juju is the best PvE gun, remind me whether it makes dudes explode or not...thanks

The Meat Dimension posted:

Thanks, you're a gun whisperer. By the way are you interested in that Angel's Advocate that's dropping next week?

yes but MIDA is good because zoom zoom and you can aim at a dude's foot and it counts as a headshot

Pozload Escobar fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 19, 2016

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

texaholic posted:

http://owlsector.bungie.net/#en

The map will most likely fillout sometime early tomorrow, The 0-88 in the top right corner along with the 76 hours since initialization has me thinking something will happen early tomorrow. This is my first destiny expac, so maybe I haven't been let down by bungie enough yet.

Don't expect anything before tuesday except tiny droplets of lore about how all Destiny players are a bunch of chucklefucks.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

yes but MIDA is good because zoom zoom and you can aim at a dude's foot and it counts as a headshot

Ah yeah. I know it won't be as good, maybe with a couple exceptions, but I like loving around with exotic specials.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

First curse is pretty good for PvE, finally tried it out tonight. Obviously for bosses, you need to kill an add first for it to be effective

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

For everyone saying Bad Juju is the best PvE gun, remind me whether it makes dudes explode or not...thanks

triple tap, explosive rounds and firefly

My go to gun for PVE content

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Don't explosive rounds ruck with firefly?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

cpaf posted:

The mountaintop quest line is a quick and easy introduction to the crucible.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Don't explosive rounds ruck with firefly?

It works precision shot but explosive rounds kills the target doesn't give firely but it wasn't often. I found it my vault recently and I was definitely getting the firefly animation in patrol.

texaholic fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 19, 2016

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

FLA5, Triple Tap, Hand-laid Stock, Hidden Hand

The AA, the stability, the returned bullets, all thru a killer scope, it brutalizes the gently caress out of bosses.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

cpaf posted:

basically what other people said, just do quests and missions and whatnot. Play some pvp, do some patrol, do some strikes when you can. Do bounties as much as possible.

Oh! There are several factions, and raising your reputation with them allows you to buy stuff from em, and also they give you a package every time you rank up.

Two factions are neutral- crucible and vanguard. You get rep for them just by doing stuff (pvp for crucible and pve for vanguard)
three factions you specifically have to pledge to: Future Warcult (FWC), Dead Orbit (DO), and New Monarchy (NM). You can only be pledged to one at a time. You get rep for them by doing anything that gives you rep, pve or pvp, but at half rate compared to crucible/vanguard, although you still get c/v rep.

For example, if you do a bounty you'll get 50 vanguard rep, and also 50 dead orbit rep. It's good to pledge to one asap because that gets you started on unlocking another vendor + getting rank up packages.

uh, you'll see the option to donate materials to them, but I suggest hanging on and building a stockpile while you're starting. Rep is plentiful and there's nothing more infuriating than needing some weapon parts or planetary materials to upgrade a weapon.

At level 36 or 38 or something you'll unlock the gunsmith's test weapons. These are just crappy white weapons that you have to go around and specific stuff with. The weapon will tell you what it wants.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 19, 2016

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bad juju for pve almost always with my pvp 1kys with any heavy machine gun does the business.

Otherwise I'll roll with a black spindle an mid archetype AR with quilims.

I dunno what shield Siva enemies will have but if its arc I'll stick to the 1kys.

I'll usually run hammers in pve with the pvp build exploding enemies is good for clearing trash, then floor grenades for the same reason and either melting point or the flame health regen perk saves my rear end at times.

Cant seem to get a good scout to drop and I find them a little boring. Plus i like the jujus chungchungchung noise.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Thanks for the help and advice goons. Is there any real disadvantage of just choosing whatever faction?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

cpaf posted:

Thanks for the help and advice goons. Is there any real disadvantage of just choosing whatever faction?
not really, its about which one you think has the best looking guns/armor/class items/shaders

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
Just got an artifact with 79 INT and 49 DISC.

I have never seen a roll that high.

It even has void precision kills can generate orbs which matches my void 1000 yard.

Damnnn

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm going to shoot guns in RoI.

[insert screen shot here]

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Always go Future War Cult so you can be a literal space nascar.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

CheeseFactory posted:

It even has void precision kills can generate orbs which matches my void 1000 yard.

Damnnn

That's pretty good

Highest I have is a blue artifact with 32/84

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

cpaf posted:

You get cool fur-lined gear if you titan for New Monarchy, but check out each faction's gear before you pledge & decide which interests you most.

You can always pledge another faction later, but lose rep in the process.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kumo posted:

You get cool fur-lined gear if you titan for New Monarchy, but check out each faction's gear before you pledge & decide which interests you most.

I don't think you lose rep. Just that you're locked into that faction for the duration of the reset cycle.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Kumo posted:

Well keep in mind that the gear's resetting on tuesday so that might not be true, and I very much doubt cpaf can get enough rep/marks to buy anything just tomorrow.

and you don't lose rep switching factions

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
If I've gotten a faction leveled enough to have a package waiting for me is it better to wait for Tuesday to claim it?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

One more day to go. I'll be on all day Monday in irc. Just gonna help out peeps or otherwise grind strange coins or court of oryx.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

BrokenKnees posted:

If I've gotten a faction leveled enough to have a package waiting for me is it better to wait for Tuesday to claim it?

probably yeah

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

BrokenKnees posted:

If you already have the package waiting for you, it has a set loot table so I don't think it'll get updated. However, they added the faction-specific sparrows to those loot tables already (you can preview the package contents). Come release of Rise of Iron it might be possible to get it by opening that package (RNG willing), so worth waiting.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

CheeseFactory posted:

Damnnn

I have a 78/50 one and the 50 is pro AF because it lets me run maxed bond/ghost for exactly 120 disc and pump all my other gear into int/str on my 5/2/5 stormshotty

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Mazerunner posted:

Well keep in mind that the gear's resetting on tuesday so that might not be true, and I very much doubt cpaf can get enough rep/marks to buy anything just tomorrow.

and you don't lose rep switching factions

It's not the fur anymore, they pushed all the current styles into the new vendor gear just like before

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I finally got vienna singer. Solo'd that poo poo like five times.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Welcome to the club. I got it on my first try.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
so what loving time does the content come available?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Oovee posted:

so what loving time does the content come available?

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/45223/

"Rise of Iron is planned to become available at 2:00 AM PDT (9:00 UTC) on September 20th, 2016. If you experience any issues, please visit help.bungie.net for all Help Articles and Guided Support, or post a report to the #Help forum. Destiny Player Support will be on standby to assist throughout the launch of Destiny: Rise of Iron, and beyond."

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

24 hours and some assorted scraps of minor time until this piece of embarrassing nerd garbage, is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyfad
Sep 29, 2009

Welcome to the human race.

ElNarez posted:

Don't expect anything before tuesday except tiny droplets of lore about how all Destiny players are a bunch of chucklefucks.

I love the owlsector crap, it's really fun to read

• Locked thread