Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Jesus Christ that's depressing :smith:

e. And of course, it has to be a page snipe, hasn't it. It was referring to this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

She does seem a little bit tense and stressed. :(

Welp, that explains the bald spot. :stare:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man. I heard there was an anime version of A Silent Voice coming out sometime this year a bit ago, but I just found out it was actually a movie instead, what a bummer.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah kyo ani doing a movie... how could that be any good

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The only bummer is that it's probably at least another couple of months before dumb english speakers like myself have any practical means of seeing it.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Spiritus Nox posted:

The only bummer is that it's probably at least another couple of months before dumb english speakers like myself have any practical means of seeing it.

Movies usually take 6-9 months to come out on BD, so it'll likely take much longer than that.

Looking at 2ch reactions, people who read the manga seem disappointed it couldn't cover more material, though. And it's been toned down or something.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

Movies usually take 6-9 months to come out on BD, so it'll likely take much longer than that.

Looking at 2ch reactions, people who read the manga seem disappointed it couldn't cover more material, though. And it's been toned down or something.

That sounds like they hosed up the opening chapters which would be a shame :(.

That said, I trust KyoAni and there are definitely cuts that could be for the better.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

darkgray posted:

And it's been toned down or something.
nope gently caress that

Cake Attack posted:

yeah kyo ani doing a movie... how could that be any good
remember when people thought Pixar could do no wrong

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I only read the oneshot so I don't have many expectations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Motto posted:

I only read the oneshot so I don't have many expectations.

I've only read a broad summary, so I have even fewer. Just saw some really pretty screenshots and thought it just sounded like the sort of story KyoAni could do a good job of adapting, so I thought I'd keep my eye on it.

Captain Invictus posted:

remember when people thought Pixar could do no wrong

And Pixar is still a really loving good studio even after making multiple Cars movies, so...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm saying just because a studio has a good track record doesn't make them infallible. It could be good, who knows, but if those initial reactions are true, that doesn't sound great.

Honestly the best part of the series isn't necessarily making up with her, but more his depression, suicidal thoughts and self loathing and learning to want to live again

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
a very special episode of tomo-chan today

http://read.tomochan.today/post/150620926176

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
..... the person who runs that site had entirely too much fun putting that together.

That said, I have always said that Kritikal's version is soooooooooooo much better than "the original", jesus Wiz Khalifa is so overrated.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Good.

https://twitter.com/gaymanga/status/777902929399480320?s=09

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yay!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Awwww yiss

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

:toot:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
massive goons

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This thing is apparently josei/horror(not shojo like the page says), just saw it on recent updates. I just read the first chapter and it's super unsettling for sure, dude sees a bright light descend into a park, goes there and finds an alien egg growing, destroys it before it finishes gestating and pulls out a half-formed butterfly-woman-thing, drags her(literally) back to his apartment, seems to be a real piece of poo poo person too

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ogeha

five chapters translated so far(out of 3 volumes in a completed series), going to read the rest and see what sort of horror it goes into, but the art style at least is really nice especially for a shojo

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Shoujo horror has a long history of being insanely twisted.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I remember reading a chapter of that because it looked interesting but the MC being such a terrible person made me not really want to read more.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nate RFB posted:

I remember reading a chapter of that because it looked interesting but the MC being such a terrible person made me not really want to read more.
I just read the five chapters, it's real easy to blitz through them since there's so little dialogue. He definitely seems like a troubled teen, and it felt to me like when he said "you're a butterfly, but you can't fly?", he was also talking about himself and failing in school/life. It could as easily not be that too, but giving a reason for his shittiness would make the series better. And it seems alright already, but at this rate the scans will finish sometime in 2024.

Also, yes, it's very twisted and creepy. Not in a fanservice way or anything, but definitely a body horror way.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

luv to read 80s shoujo horror that is more violent and nihilistic than any modern seinen

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the guy is a terrible person because he is the bad guy in a horror series

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

This thing is apparently josei/horror(not shojo like the page says), just saw it on recent updates. I just read the first chapter and it's super unsettling for sure, dude sees a bright light descend into a park, goes there and finds an alien egg growing, destroys it before it finishes gestating and pulls out a half-formed butterfly-woman-thing, drags her(literally) back to his apartment, seems to be a real piece of poo poo person too

five chapters translated so far(out of 3 volumes in a completed series), going to read the rest and see what sort of horror it goes into, but the art style at least is really nice especially for a shojo

(image from chapter one so not really a spoiler but)

This is sort of mistranslated. He's saying more like "you're like a filthy ageha (swallowtail) butterfly, so i'll call you ogeha" ("o" is another reading of the "filthy" kanji, so its like a portmanteau sort of, of filthy/dirty/gross and swallowtail butterfly)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Davincie posted:

the guy is a terrible person because he is the bad guy in a horror series
I'll wait to write him off as just a terrible person or a kid with issues for more chapters to come out, I think.

z0glin Warchief posted:

This is sort of mistranslated. He's saying more like "you're like a filthy ageha (swallowtail) butterfly, so i'll call you ogeha" ("o" is another reading of the "filthy" kanji, so its like a portmanteau sort of, of filthy/dirty/gross and swallowtail butterfly)
neat, thanks!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

idk maybe he has like some mental issue that will exonerate him ( i doubt it) but he's been acting a lot like a traditional psychopath.

the series does throw an interesting wrench in that though, by having their relationship be more like that of a pet (of the insect kind) owner and pet though, which i found again another interesting horror way to tackle an abusive relationship by comparing it to the way people mistreat animals, with the whole insect girl motif. the whole scene where she tried to escape but failed was visually very classic horror movie

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, which is why I say it shows a lot more promise than other horror stuff I've read. I mean he could absolutely be a typical psychopath, but he seems to still have some level of empathy since while he did leave her, he came back and picked her up again. Maybe there's an ulterior motive like psychological abuse there, or maybe it's a crisis of conscience. Hopefully the remaining two volumes will be scanlated relatively quickly and we'll get the whole story.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i hadn't actually read the new chapters before those posts, so going through them i'd say this page perfectly illustrates the kind of abusive guy he is

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, that's true, that one's real bad.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Captain Invictus posted:

Haha, I happened to start this last night myself. The real horror is definitely Kiji at this point.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Hah! Battered wife syndrome with butterfly aliens.

Sometimes you just got to step back and appreciate something for originality.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I read the first chapter of abused butterfly girl and it made me feel pretty bad. Please be kind to insects.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Davincie posted:

i hadn't actually read the new chapters before those posts, so going through them i'd say this page perfectly illustrates the kind of abusive guy he is

It is abusive, but...she is a weird butterfly-alien whose pupa was draining the life from everything around it. If a less "kind" person found her, she might be dead or in a science lab right now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

spoilers: if you decide to post 'it is abusive, but' you should probably stop and rethink why you wanted to post in the first place

especially if your but is 'but at least it isn't murder or vivisection'

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
What? I completely agree that he's an abusive dick and that he should be taking far better care of her. Agreeing that a lot of people would attempt to kill her or turn her over to people who would kill her, is nowhere near excusing the way Ogeha is being treated by Kiji.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's abusive but that's a good thing. :twisted:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Horror and shoujo is a rare story :smith:

I feel like there's psychological horror but nothing I can say this is a good example series. Does Ghost Hunt count? I read the manga and anime.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Screaming Classroom is pretty decent if you don't mind creepy pasta esque stories and terrible things happening to children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Alder posted:

Horror and shoujo is a rare story :smith:

I feel like there's psychological horror but nothing I can say this is a good example series. Does Ghost Hunt count? I read the manga and anime.

I've only read one story out of this, but it was good:
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=83179
No translations though :(