Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Gigi D.G. sockpuppet spotted.

Woah let's not say things that we can't take back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I know lots of people don't like how ridiculous and overdramatic a lot of AA has become since DD, but it's not something that really bothers me. Everybody likes different things though, and I suppose lots of people prefer the more (feels weird to say this about even early AA) down to earth cases of the original trilogy.

My main problems with the game is that I found a lot of the trial segments to be kind of poorly done, with weird solutions. Which was not helped by Nahyuta being a boring prosecutor. I really enjoyed the general story and all the character stuff though, and I think it may have had my favourite overall cast of all the AA games. I really liked even most of the random witnesses. Though I also think 6-5 day 2 is one of my favourite trials in AA history. I loved pretty much everything about that day.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Turnabout Storyteller is a good case and I will write a strongly worded post towards anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Turnabout Storyteller is a good case and I will write a strongly worded post towards anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

it's not

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Go for it, dude.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also nayuta being over the top hostile always even though he was being co-erced was weird

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Agreed. It has nothing to do with the rest of the game but I'm glad it was there.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Turnabout Storyteller was fine, it was just oddly placed. Might have been better to switch cases 2 and 4, though that would mean Apollo would be absent for a really long time.

As far as the dramatic stuff goes, I'm still on case 5 (beat Phoenix's rear end in court, now we're back in Kura'in investigating) but I don't really feel like it's that big a deal. AA5 didn't really up the drama in any significant way when you compare it to say, Dahlia who came back from the dead just to kill Maya in revenge for Mia. Hopefully the next game dials it back, but having a country-spanning problem is cool when it happens sparsely.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Momomo posted:

Turnabout Storyteller was fine, it was just oddly placed. Might have been better to switch cases 2 and 4, though that would mean Apollo would be absent for a really long time.

As far as the dramatic stuff goes, I'm still on case 5 (beat Phoenix's rear end in court, now we're back in Kura'in investigating) but I don't really feel like it's that big a deal. AA5 didn't really up the drama in any significant way when you compare it to say, Dahlia who came back from the dead just to kill Maya in revenge for Mia. Hopefully the next game dials it back, but having a country-spanning problem is cool when it happens sparsely.

Buddy, you have not yet reached the drama.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering the very first cutscene in the game is a group of people overthrowing the government, I at least have some idea as to where this is going, though. Unless they start talking about the fate of the entire world or something I guess.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

something that occured to me is that this game feels like it has a lot less characters in the cases, most cases have, the witness who did it, and the witness who didn't do it, and that's it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

while im here im gonna ask for help because I'm stumped. case 5 later part of trial 2 on Jove's Divination Seance, after I point out that the hand in the vision is wearing gloves, I have no idea what comes next.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

something that occured to me is that this game feels like it has a lot less characters in the cases, most cases have, the witness who did it, and the witness who didn't do it, and that's it.

I think a lot of it comes from each case only lasting a day. It makes things a lot more condensed.

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014

mabels big day posted:

while im here im gonna ask for help because I'm stumped. case 5 later part of trial 2 on Jove's Divination Seance, after I point out that the hand in the vision is wearing gloves, I have no idea what comes next.

Both the hand and wrist should be clearer in the reflection now.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Nova Odin posted:

Both the hand and wrist should be clearer in the reflection now.

oh duh. I was overthinking it. I actually thought it looked like Dhurke's sleeve, lol

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

well i beat it. Here's some thoughts on everything, mostly on case 5

Before I played the second half of Case 5, I was willing to say that this game was the best Ace Attorney fanfiction I've ever read. Case 1 was ok, case 2 was great, case 3 was amazing (probably the best case from the last three games), case 4 sucks, and the first part of case 5 was pretty good. Even the investigation part of Case 5 Part 2 was looking hopeful. Some of it was dumb and fanservicey (Edgeworth) but it wasn't bad. But then it started getting dumber and dumber.

A lot of what makes case 5 dumb are the details surrounding the key points of the mystery. I think the main twists with the spirit channeling being used to cover up the murder, and the twist that Dhurke was also dead, were good. I also liked the fact that Datz and Ahlbi's nonsense in the bazaar ended up being vital in establishing the real time of death. That's the good kind of silliness that can be put in a serious and important case (like Larry in 3-5). However, everything else seems very stupid when you look at it.

For starters, is Igna just an idiot? We're lead to believe he wanted spiritual power from the Founder's Orb, but he didn't know the founder's name, and more importantly, even if he did get that power, he could never use it because of his "can't see faces" syndrome. I thought for sure that would be brought up and there would be another element to his plan to get the founder's orb but I guess not? Dumb.

Why have Amara be such an important part of the case as a suspect when they're showing absolutely no subtlety with Ga'ran? For a short while I was willing to believe that Amara was just as villainous as Ga'ran or perhaps even more so, but that got shot down pretty quickly, literally. Maybe if Ga'ran was not so blatantly evil from the minute she steps into the courtroom, there would be room for doubt, and it would make it more believable that Amara was the culprit. It honestly makes no sense to me at all why they start the trial with Ga'ran at the prosecutor's bench. Even if you think her evil anime spider witch outfit is cool as hell, wouldn't it be better to save that reveal for when you formally accuse her? Dumb.

Why did anyone even believe Nahyuta when he tried to confess to the crime? He just said he did it with no evidence. Nobody asked "well how did you get there? how did you hide yourself from witnesses? what about the channeling?" It's so obvious that he couldn't have done it if you think about it at all. I get that the whole reason behind it is to have you figure out why he's protecting Ga'ran, but surely they could have found a better angle to work that in. Dumb.

This isn't necessarily a mark against the case, but I really thought there was going to be a deeper mystery hidden behind the assassination attempt, and Jove Justice's presence, but it turned out a lot more straightforward than I thought. Not dumb, just whatever.

The last bit with Ga'ran going nuts and all the dudes pointing their guns at you was dumb but I don't know if it was good dumb or bad dumb. I do think that the final mystery that the queen didn't actually have any spiritual power was anticlimactic, especially since I figured it out as soon as she started threatening Nahyuta with the DC Act. I think the case as a whole just bit off a little bit more than it could chew.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Case 5: Re: Inga those aren't really problems for him. Amara knew the founder's name and he could easily get it out of her by just getting Rayfa to ask. He was also probably planning to give the power to Rayfa so she could take over as queen immediately - she'd likely do whatever he needed her to anyway.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

meristem posted:

Late Case 5 Day 2 and ohgod this is so dumb are they implying that Ga'ran used Dhurke's clothes to kill Inga and then patiently dressed back the several-day-old body? I really hope that's not it.

oh yeah I totally forgot about this too. And wouldn't his clothes have bullet holes in them? wouldn't they notice the bullet holes???

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Case 5: Re: Inga those aren't really problems for him. Amara knew the founder's name and he could easily get it out of her by just getting Rayfa to ask. He was also probably planning to give the power to Rayfa so she could take over as queen immediately - she'd likely do whatever he needed her to anyway.

This is what I was thinking as well, but it would have been nice if they were explicit about it somewhere.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Late game Re: Dhurke's clothes, they're not necessarily unique, there's at least one spare set at the old law offices IIRC.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

2-3 is the worst in the series but I don't think it deserves all the vitriol it gets. Moe is far less annoying than I remember and it had one of my favourite resolutions

2-3 The ending didn't involve you catching the cartoon villain doing something cartoonishly villainous. Acro was a decent person who had enough of someone unknowingly shirking their responsibility for him and his brother's life changing injuries. And he ended up killing the only person other than his brother who ever cared about him. It was unsatisfying in a good way.

On the other hand, gently caress that ventriloquist guy.

I agree with this completely, except I don't know if 2-3 is the worst in the series.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

well i beat it. Here's some thoughts on everything, mostly on case 5

Why did anyone even believe Nahyuta when he tried to confess to the crime? He just said he did it with no evidence. Nobody asked "well how did you get there? how did you hide yourself from witnesses? what about the channeling?" It's so obvious that he couldn't have done it if you think about it at all. I get that the whole reason behind it is to have you figure out why he's protecting Ga'ran, but surely they could have found a better angle to work that in. Dumb.

The reason Nahyuta confesses is because the entirety of case 5 is to demonstrate Apollo's progression and just how far he's come as a lawyer by taking on Phoenix's greatest hits (Von Karma with an engineered confession and a higher, evil attorney taking over, Engarde with Phoenix roped into defending a client who is coercing him, Dahlia with two very similar sisters, one of whom is good and the other evil, with a strong spiritual connection for one of them) on in an extremely narrow span of time and defeating all of them. It's a little contrived but it worked well for me and it was a great sendoff for Apollo.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
2-3 is the worst in the series for many reasons, including having a notably sloppier localization job than any other case.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

The reason Nahyuta confesses is because the entirety of case 5 is to demonstrate Apollo's progression and just how far he's come as a lawyer by taking on Phoenix's greatest hits (Von Karma with an engineered confession and a higher, evil attorney taking over, Engarde with Phoenix roped into defending a client who is coercing him, Dahlia with two very similar sisters, one of whom is good and the other evil, with a strong spiritual connection for one of them) on in an extremely narrow span of time and defeating all of them. It's a little contrived but it worked well for me and it was a great sendoff for Apollo.

I see the parallels, but contrived is the perfect word for them, and in a bad way, at least in my opinion.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cake Attack posted:

I think it's a result of the newer games using 3D models in general. The characters in the old games were just low-res 2d illustrations on the GBA with maybe 3-4 frames per animation, which is a lot cheaper and quicker to knock out for dozens of characters.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I dunno how anyone can play AA3 and then look at AA6 and go "no but seriously THIS is ridiculous!!!"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

just finished, case 5 review:

it kicked rear end I dunno what everyone's talking about. PW is really good at using wizard bullshit in mysteries because they give it super-strict rules.

also I like how the game swerved into We Apologize For 4-4 And Also Surprise This Game Is Actually Apollo Justice 2

EDIT: actually that image sums up like every Phoenix Wright case except 1-1

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 19, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

I dunno how anyone can play AA3 and then look at AA6 and go "no but seriously THIS is ridiculous!!!"

I mean, The defendant being dead all along, the main character convicting the Queen of murder, and causing a legal revolution in a foreign country, is a bit outside the norm. Even compared to an exorcism caused by pointing at someone real hard.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I finished the game last night and felt pretty wiped out with all the emotional fallout. Dear Lord, wild ride doesn't begin to describe that last case.

By the end of 6-5, Trial 1, I genuinely believed the endgame was going to be (whole Case 5 major spoilers)preventing Ga'ran or Inga (using Maya) from using the Founder's Orb to channel the Holy Mother because whoever could bring back a loving DEITY would cement their power in the kingdom and probably beyond. But what do you know, turns out Amara IS the practical embodiment of the Holy Mother having survived assassination and being a perfect mix of awe-inspiring and terrifying on the stand (that split-second flash of wrath, lol). Oh, and now she's survived TWO assassination attempts, so despise her abdication to Rayfa with Nahyuta as Prince Regent, she's probably more or less a god to her people.

Something that I feel like never got directly answered (again 6-5/whole game spoilers) is why did Ga'ran go the additional mile to kill Jove Justice? I guess to ensure there were no survivors because his Divination Seance reveals he could have ID'ed her had he made it out of the building alive? Also: tiny baby Apollo, that poor boy :( But what a satisfying end that final point was. Extremely cheesy in a super sentai fashion, but hey, it's Ace Attorney.

On a less serious note, did anyone catch when (Case 6-5, Investigation Day 2) Apollo asks Dhurke about the butterfly locket and Athena starts teasing Dhurke about being into younger women, and when Dhurke points out he's younger in the picture as well Athena huffs out "aw, that's no fun!" Athena, wtf :stonk:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I gotta admit I felt really bad when (late case 5) it was time to point out who was in the coffin. It was like I had a meal at the Cafe Teary-Eye!

AHA! AHA! AHA! AHA! AHA! AHA! AHA! AHA!

e: Ahaha Apollo inherited the time honored tradition of screaming "Objection!" at the end.

Also, the best part of Case 4 is Blackquill putting Sahdmadi in his place, I was waiting for him to get shot down for so long. Also I'm pretty sure he dropped a Gurren Lagann quote, didn't he?

nftyw fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 19, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Also I like how (start of case 5)they spent the whole game hyping up Dhurke as this sinister anarchist and he ends up being just an extremely embarrassing dad

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Yinlock posted:

Also I like how (start of case 5)they spent the whole game hyping up Dhurke as this sinister anarchist and he ends up being just an extremely embarrassing dad

How could anyone who raised Apollo be anything but!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Apollo's really starting to make a name for himself

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've gotten to 1-5 in my series replay and it feels super weird to be against a prosecutor who respects your opinion, refrains from manipulating testimony and doesn't call you stupid nicknames. I was kind of hoping that's how Nahyuta would be when he was described as a devoted monk and gentleman, but alas. Also Edgeworth has yet to physically abuse anyone.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Terper posted:

Apollo's really starting to make a name for himself

OBJECTION!

That cannot be Apollo Justice, as he does not have Apollo Justice's distinctive antennae spikes. Just compare it to this photo!

Notice the spikes on the head? Ergo, the person on the billboard cannot be Apollo!

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 19, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it's a result of the newer games using 3D models in general. The characters in the old games were just low-res 2d illustrations on the GBA with maybe 3-4 frames per animation, which is a lot cheaper and quicker to knock out for dozens of characters.

Actually, it's easier to make the 3D models, since you only have to make the model once and apply the animations to it rather than redrawing sprite after sprite. You're also underestimating how many frames an animation would have and how many animations even a one-off witness would have.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kajeesus posted:

2-3 is the worst in the series for many reasons, including having a notably sloppier localization job than any other case.

gently caress you if you're throwing shade on "In west Clownadelphia, born and raised"

Waffleman_ posted:

Actually, it's easier to make the 3D models, since you only have to make the model once and apply the animations to it rather than redrawing sprite after sprite. You're also underestimating how many frames an animation would have and how many animations even a one-off witness would have.

A general rule I've heard from everyone who ever worked on anything in 3D is that making a new model takes for-loving ever and that's why a bunch of early CG tv shows had so few characters. The easy part is animating them once you've built the rig. I assume this holds true even today.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 19, 2016

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
haha case 3 the Warbaa'd Dagger

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
Case 2: Question about Trucy's "testimony" when she demonstrates her sword swapping trick. (I'm looking for just a hint here if possible...) What are you supposed to do? Present evidence or press statements in a particular order? I think she didn't switch the swords at all and that the sword was rubber the whole time. However, I can't find evidence to support this theory, and pressing Trucy's testimony in order just gives you nonsense answers.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Waffleman_ posted:

Gigi D.G. sockpuppet spotted.

Is she still pissed about Robin Newman? Not that I'm not also put off, bur sins of the father etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

iirc you present the footage of the show, which shows she doesn't do the sword swapping twirl