Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Beast of Bourbon posted:

dredd was really good and i'm glad they didn't show his face. i actually saw it in theaters. i think i was the only one.

i saw it in 3d and was actually pretty good. it did some poo poo where blood effects would pop out over the letterboxng that looked cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
yeah i peeped it in 3d too on a date night. was so good.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
3 of the best action movies of the last several years are dredd, John wick, and mad max

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
john wick was such a loving surprise of an amazing movie. i was expecting boring action movie with terrible plot. and it just was so good. i'm really glad they're making a 2nd one.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Beast of Bourbon posted:

john wick was such a loving surprise of an amazing movie. i was expecting boring action movie with terrible plot. and it just was so good. i'm really glad they're making a 2nd one.

Yeah it was good, I think I actually heard about it on SA because I had no idea it even existed

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Dislike button posted:

Yeah it was good, I think I actually heard about it on SA because I had no idea it even existed

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
Can you give me some reasons why you thought John Wick was super good cos I watched it on Friday night and wasnt completely psyched on it but maybe im wrong???

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

maxe posted:

Can you give me some reasons why you thought John Wick was super good cos I watched it on Friday night and wasnt completely psyched on it but maybe im wrong???

the ending was mad dull but he first two acts were pretty good

i wouldn't even compare it to something like fury road though

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

maxe posted:

it was a very solid action movie with great music and violence

the nightclub scene sticks out to me in particular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cYDsVamQqU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

maxe posted:

It's probably oversold a bit by this point but it's really solid with great action scenes that are never too cheesy

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
One of my favorite parts is when he walks into the church with an assault rifle and immediately murders someone. I tipped my fedora

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qsTq3hgvhWY

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Dislike button posted:

One of my favorite parts is when he walks into the church with an assault rifle and immediately murders someone. I tipped my fedora

lol if you saw Kingsman your hat must have burst into flames

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

Dislike button posted:

It's probably oversold a bit by this point but it's really solid with great action scenes that are never too cheesy

ok this makes more sense

the small arms kungfu poo poo and the kooky assassin guild stuff was def fun

also re-watched Interstellar last night and its
still
good

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I don't remember most of that movie but I did lol at that part.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
hey! the thread made it past 100 pages! nice

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

maxe posted:

still
good

y mane

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The beginning of John Wick was a huge surprise for me. I knew there was going to be some cool combat going on, but the first 15 minutes was an emotional roller coaster.

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

NoneMoreNegative posted:

i didn't really like kingsman but that scene made it worth watching at least once

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

the soundtrack
cool wave planet
the bit where he ejector seats into the black hole and its all quiet and weird
stars/galaxies

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

maxe posted:

ok this makes more sense

the small arms kungfu poo poo and the kooky assassin guild stuff was def fun

still
good

same, although when the part about coordinates in the sand being binary i had to figure out how many bits you'd actually need to store coordinates to an accuracy of 10m and it came out around 90 bits(this number i could be misremembering), i only saw like 12 on the ground. of course i think i also included bits used to differentiate N,S,E,W and that added a few. 16 bits needed each for lat/long if we're only using straight integers to represent the data because someone with the knowledge would know where to add the decimal anyways so you don't have to deal with floating point numbers. so at least 32 bits + whatever is needed to show N,S,E,W, and that would give you an accuracy down to ~110m which would be usable for finding a building like that. you might be able to get away with using 28 bits for lat/lon if you make an assumption of the user being able to navigate terrain and look for stuff out of the ordinary, you'd have an accuracy to ~1km which is manageable for a trained individual. even cutting out the N,S,E,W marks still makes a required 28 bits at least to be able to locate a facility if the receiver is capable and makes assumptions that the numbers would be based on their current location and not on the other side of the world

still good movie though

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
im sorry but i did not read that

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

postpostpost

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

maxe posted:

the soundtrack
cool wave planet
the bit where he ejector seats into the black hole and its all quiet and weird
stars/galaxies

the drone chase

the robits

everything with damon's character

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/normative/status/777516168835895296

ehheheheheh

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Apocadall posted:

same, although when the part about coordinates in the sand being binary i had to figure out how many bits you'd actually need to store coordinates to an accuracy of 10m and it came out around 90 bits(this number i could be misremembering), i only saw like 12 on the ground. of course i think i also included bits used to differentiate N,S,E,W and that added a few. 16 bits needed each for lat/long if we're only using straight integers to represent the data because someone with the knowledge would know where to add the decimal anyways so you don't have to deal with floating point numbers. so at least 32 bits + whatever is needed to show N,S,E,W, and that would give you an accuracy down to ~110m which would be usable for finding a building like that. you might be able to get away with using 28 bits for lat/lon if you make an assumption of the user being able to navigate terrain and look for stuff out of the ordinary, you'd have an accuracy to ~1km which is manageable for a trained individual. even cutting out the N,S,E,W marks still makes a required 28 bits at least to be able to locate a facility if the receiver is capable and makes assumptions that the numbers would be based on their current location and not on the other side of the world

still good movie though

You can get ~13m precision with 43 bits using a scaled BNR value (180°/221).

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

prefect posted:

if you go too far in the youtube search results for back/neck cracking, some of those show up, and it's gross and depressing

Tonsil and salivary stone extraction

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chortlingmao

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Lake of Methane posted:

You can get ~13m precision with 43 bits using a scaled BNR value (180°/221).

i'll have to look into this, i just started taking the real bulk of my embedded classes so looks like a good thing to know

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sniep posted:

i already own this film on blu ray and have ripped it

pre:
james@JamesArray:/volume1/Movies$ stat Dredd.mkv 
  File: ‘Dredd.mkv’
  Size: 24862333085	Blocks: 48559264   IO Block: 4096   regular file
Device: fd00h/64768d	Inode: 2633        Links: 1
Access: (0777/-rwxrwxrwx)  Uid: ( 1024/   admin)   Gid: (  100/   users)
Access: 2016-09-07 23:14:19.905723246 -0600
Modify: 2016-04-05 17:51:42.000000000 -0600
Change: 2016-04-08 16:17:22.566438781 -0600
 Birth: -
james@JamesArray:/volume1/Movies$ 

nice globally writable dredd

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

globally writable dredd

MODS

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

atomicthumbs posted:

nice globally writable dredd

i am the a+w

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
its the default how synology does it when you ingest from a external hdd

i didnt change poo poo but it has its own whole auth poo poo that i dont wanna gently caress with

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Keanu Reeves is our greatest living actor. I wanted to see the movie in theaters immediately after seeing the trailer but then I forgot about it and it was gone after like a 2 month run.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

Keanu Reeves is our greatest living actor. I wanted to see the movie in theaters immediately after seeing the trailer but then I forgot about it and it was gone after like a 2 month run.

whoa

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Interstellar is essentially Contact from the lame alien dad's point of view

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAkZT_4vL_Y

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
kingsman was super hosed up and i did not like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

one of my biggest regrets is that i didnt give dredd my theater turnout dollars

karl urban deserves to be near robert downy jr level with regard to their comic book chars

• Locked thread