Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I picked up a used Wii U for cheap and I really like the nostalgia it's got in a lot of games. The Wii and U New SMB games, Mario maker, and NES remix 1 & 2. None of it is exactly retro but it's all nostalgic and great. Add in the virtual console, a hacked wii side featuring nintendont for GameCube iso compatibility and it's an awesome system that I wish I hadn't ignored for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Kid Fenris posted:

Contra Rebirth also has one of the most obscure callbacks I've ever seen in a video game.

http://www.kidfenris.com/2010/12/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-ii-mystery.html?m=0

Haha yeah, I remember someone pointing that out. That poor skateboarder.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

GutBomb posted:

I picked up a used Wii U for cheap and I really like the nostalgia it's got in a lot of games. The Wii and U New SMB games, Mario maker, and NES remix 1 & 2. None of it is exactly retro but it's all nostalgic and great. Add in the virtual console, a hacked wii side featuring nintendont for GameCube iso compatibility and it's an awesome system that I wish I hadn't ignored for so long.

Grab Splatoon, you won't regret it. Also Bayonetta 2. :toot:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

mariooncrack posted:

So I've been listening to a lot of old retronauts episodes and now I want to go back and play some old Playstation games.

What is the best play to PS1 games on a HDTV? I have a slim PS2 and the smaller, redesigned PS1. I was thinking about just getting a component cable for the PS2.

Check out MyLifeInGaming's video on getting the best picture from your PS1 games. I think PS1 RGB + Framemeister, PS3, PSPgo connected to TV w/DS3, PStv, PS2 via component, etc.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Caitlin posted:

Don't forget yoshi's woolly world. It feels thoroughly nintendo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
PS3 playing back Ps1 will give you weird graphics for transparency effects, because some of those used the interlacing as a cheat.

I saw this a lot when I replayed Lunar/Lunar2.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Lunar 1/2 probably used it because the Sega CD couldn't do transparency.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

PS3 playing back Ps1 will give you weird graphics for transparency effects, because some of those used the interlacing as a cheat.

I saw this a lot when I replayed Lunar/Lunar2.

There are also some quality differences using disk vs download. But if you don't have a framemeister or other decent upscaler, it is your best bet on a HD TV. Plus, it does better with games that switch between 240p/480i than a framemeister/upscaler would.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Elliotw2 posted:

Lunar 1/2 probably used it because the Sega CD couldn't do transparency.
The Saturn could, though, right? That's the code base I assume they used.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FilthyImp posted:

The Saturn could, though, right?

Not really, no.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Let me tell you about Saturn SotN...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FilthyImp posted:

The Saturn could do fake transparency effects much quicker than real transparency, so game developers preferred to use fake transparency when not doing relatively still scenes.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The only Saturn game I can think of that actually has transparency is mediocre game and bad Genesis port, Shining Wisdom.

It only uses it for the message boxes if you turn it on, and if you do it like halves the framerate.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Saturn uses real transparency, you probably just never noticed.

Here's an article about it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Bayonetta 2 and no mention of Wonderful 101?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

Not really, no.

Yes it can depending on which VDP is being used. It's a weird machine but if you want to know the real limitations of Saturn watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_OchOV_WDg

Mega Man X4 is actually more advanced on Saturn than it is on PSX :smug:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Okay "it can but only like four loving games did it and the rest use moire", Mr. Pedantic :colbert:.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Bayonetta 2 and no mention of Wonderful 101?

Hey there, nbd but just letting you know you can echo and add to someone's recommendations without coming off as criticizing them. Sorry to call you out on this, I've started noticing this and it's become a pet peeve. I've probably also been guilty of this, but will try to be better!

You know, I probably came off this way in my post:

RZA Encryption posted:

Though I honestly meant the "don't forget" to be directed towards the person that just got the Wii U. More like a "don't overlook this game".

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 19, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Both MM8 and MMX4 are better on the Saturn but good luck getting either.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
What the gently caress, there are Mega Man games on the Saturn?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

RZA Encryption posted:

Hey there, nbd but just letting you know you can echo and add to someone's recommendations without coming off as criticizing them. Sorry to call you out on this, I've started noticing this and it's become a pet peeve. I've probably also been guilty of this, but will try to be better!

just letting you know, you can assume that people are not being assholes instead of assume they are. isn't it nicer to just change your perspective instead of ask everyone else to change their behavior? sorry to call you out on this, but pffffffffffff zzzzzzz

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Zand posted:

just letting you know, you can assume that people are not being assholes instead of assume they are. isn't it nicer to just change your perspective instead of ask everyone else to change their behavior? sorry to call you out on this, but pffffffffffff zzzzzzz

yeah because it's so difficult to be reminded that sometimes it's important to think about how we speak to other people and be nicer to each other, man what a choad ha ha ha :confused:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Code Jockey posted:

What the gently caress, there are Mega Man games on the Saturn?

It has the best version of Mega Man 8. And if you live in North America, it came out to the Saturn the day before the PSX release!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Zand posted:

Sorry if I worded that poorly. I didn't mean to assume bad intentions. Some context is lost in text-only communications and people can phrase things in ways that are interpreted very differently depending on the reader. I think that making posts like "how could you forget _____?" come off as elitist. Suggestions should always be welcome, but don't imply someone hosed up if they didn't suggest what you wanted them to.

Even if the posters aren't sensitive to this it could make this thread come off as insular to observers and prevent new people from coming in.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
What retro console should I install in my new car?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jumpingmanjim posted:

That's easy! The Visteon Dockable Entertainment!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visteon_Dockable_Entertainment

Plays GBA cartridges and DVD movies. Mounts easily in most vehicles. Nice 10 inch screen for the games and a decent wireless controller and matching headphones

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

One that has the best Doom port.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

al-azad posted:

One that has the best Carmageddon port.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

fishmech posted:

That's easy! The Visteon Dockable Entertainment!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visteon_Dockable_Entertainment

Plays GBA cartridges and DVD movies. Mounts easily in most vehicles. Nice 10 inch screen for the games and a decent wireless controller and matching headphones

I love things like this. I wonder if it just had like an SP motherboard with a special display adapter inside.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

RZA Encryption posted:

I love things like this. I wonder if it just had like an SP motherboard with a special display adapter inside.

And all for the low low price of $1299 USD.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

And all for the low low price of $1299 USD.

Yeah, they're way cheaper now of course ("only" $400 on eBay), but crazy high prices are expected when you can only buy from a car dealer.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

iastudent posted:

Been a while since I've stuck my head in here, but a couple of us arcade-centric streamers are doing a "1CC marathon" at the end of the month.

Schedule and stream link are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UuRCJbIJoL6WP95NszxkO-rJyld05PldgWQhu6_K98Q/edit?usp=sharing

We did a similar thing last year and people seemed to enjoy it, should be a little bit for everyone there!

While on the subject, I've been learning to speedrun arcade E-SWAT for this too cause why not!

https://www.twitch.tv/iastsa/v/90177268

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

http://nfggames.com/games/hisaturn/

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Kid Fenris posted:

Crisis Core seemed OK from what I played but I stopped around the point where a guy named Genesis asked the main character what angels dream about.

Yeah, the story is pretty ridiculous but the game play is really great. I'd still recommend it.
  • Peace Walker is great. Maybe my favorite Metal Gear game.
  • Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories are both worth playing, although the PS2 ports are definitely better.
  • Legends of Heroes:Trails in The Sky is a great old-school RPG. Sort of like a PS1 classic that never was.
  • God of War:Ghost of Sparta and Chains of Olympus are really good.
  • Kingdom Hearts:Birth by Sleep is good, although it's got the same problem as Crisis Core. Bad story, good gameplay.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Vectrex

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A PS2. Stick a small LCD monitor in/on the driver-side dashboard for the video output, and wire the guts of a steering wheel controller into the steering column and floor pedals. Then race. :unsmigghh:.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I've got a portable screen on my Gamecube that just piggybacks on the AC adapter for power, and also comes with a car lighter adapter.

So what I'm saying is get a Panasonic Q with the Game Boy Player for it and one of those screens and you'll have everything that car thingy can do AND THEN SOME! You'll be able to play almost every Zelda, Mega Man, and Sonic game that matters.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A PS2. Stick a small LCD monitor in/on the driver-side dashboard for the video output, and wire the guts of a steering wheel controller into the steering column and floor pedals. Then race. :unsmigghh:.

OutRun 2006 :iiaca:

RZA Encryption posted:

You might say it has... good feel.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 19, 2016

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

If DJ Quik were a goon, he'd recommend you install a Dreamcast.

"And the time I'm spending in your bitch, a supreme blast/in the back of my S500, playing Dreamcast" - DJ Quik, U Ain't Fresh

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

d0s posted:

When I was there years ago for a job training thing I found a bunch of stores that were actually really good and came back with a ton of stuff, but I can't remember what any of them were called. I just googled "denver game shops" and went to all the play n trades and non-gamestop ones. I think I used google maps as well. Back in 2011 it seemed like nobody in Denver was into old games because what I was finding in those shops for very little money was seriously cool, I'm not sure how it is today.

I'll probably end up doing this and hoping things aren't too terrible. But I bet they will be.

e: It also seems as though Play N Trade is no longer an extant corporation. A cursory googling indicates slim pickins.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

mikeycp posted:

I'm in Denver for the week. Does anybody know of stores in the area worth checking out?

come about an hour and half north to Loveland where I am and there is a good retro game store called Games Ahoy I frequent.

• Locked thread