Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Saw an S2 black stainless with black link bracelet in Best Buy today. God drat that thing looks gorgeous.
Pictures online do not do it justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I've found the upgrade in speed to be pretty huge. Just in basic stuff like opening messages or time taken to relay commands to Siri.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

xgalaxy posted:

Saw an S2 black stainless with black link bracelet in Best Buy today. God drat that thing looks gorgeous.
Pictures online do not do it justice.

I have the gen 0 version. It is amazing looking. I ordered it at launch and it took 3 months to arrive but it was so worth the wait.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

So S2 owners who have owned the previous one. I have a few days left to return my original for a full refund. Should I go ahead and upgrade? Still on the fence. I'm not concerned about the price difference.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have the gen 0 version. It is amazing looking. I ordered it at launch and it took 3 months to arrive but it was so worth the wait.
I like my stainless with link. It's a little more classic looking. The black one is cool I admit. But can you polish the black band or will that take the finish off?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

housefly posted:

So S2 owners who have owned the previous one. I have a few days left to return my original for a full refund. Should I go ahead and upgrade? Still on the fence. I'm not concerned about the price difference.

Just return the drat thing and upgrade. You get a faster processor, insane water proofing, potentially better battery life, and GPS. Also like some goons said when Watch OS4 comes out in a year Apple will probably pull a your watch is too lovely to upgrade thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bum the Sad posted:

I like my stainless with link. It's a little more classic looking. The black one is cool I admit. But can you polish the black band or will that take the finish off?

Define polish. I just use one of those pre-moistened wipes for eyeglasses whenever it gets dirty. Same for the watch case itself. My watch and band look fantastic.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Jose Oquendo posted:

Define polish. I just use one of those pre-moistened wipes for eyeglasses whenever it gets dirty. Same for the watch case itself. My watch and band look fantastic.

Like actual metal polish for scratches.

Edit: Google says no. It's a thin black coating.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 18, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Of course people who had lovely October delivery dates are getting ship notifications, just as I cancelled my preorder because I was convinced I could pick a S2 Alu up in stores this upcoming week.

I actually ordered the silver alu with pearl nylon but the more I look at it, the more the gold alu appeals to me. Really trying to decide between the two now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

housefly posted:

You should at least exchange it for a Series 1.

wooly
Jun 5, 2005

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Slammed into an apple story today and easily grabbed a series 1 gold and cocoa. Didn't need that other poo poo and this'll be fine to swim so the speed was all I needed and god drat. It's fast.

Have I. Used something? The series 1 isn't supposed to be swam with.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

wooly posted:

Have I. Used something? The series 1 isn't supposed to be swam with.

It's not waterproof but it's super water resistant.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Of course people who had lovely October delivery dates are getting ship notifications, just as I cancelled my preorder because I was convinced I could pick a S2 Alu up in stores this upcoming week.

I actually ordered the silver alu with pearl nylon but the more I look at it, the more the gold alu appeals to me. Really trying to decide between the two now.
Gold is ugly and cheap-looking imo.

Also if you're getting a nylon band and intend to work out with the watch, I would highly recommend getting a sport band, also. The nylon band sucks up sweat and gets really gross really fast.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

Assuming it's still a DLC coating you generally won't have to worry about needing to polish it in the first place.

But yeah if you need to polish for whatever reason you can't afaik cause it's a baked on coating or something, and it's hard as hell so it'd be hard to polish anyway.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I really can't believe people would buy one of Apple's link bracelet bands, it literally costs more than the series 2 watch itself. I'm sure it's nicely made and all that, but come on... It's already an expensive gadget, save yourself £400 (!) and get a third party one.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I really can't believe people would buy one of Apple's link bracelet bands, it literally costs more than the series 2 watch itself. I'm sure it's nicely made and all that, but come on... It's already an expensive gadget, save yourself £400 (!) and get a third party one.

I paid $1700 for my last Tag, a grand didn't sound too bad for a slick watch. I can forever move it forward when I upgrade too.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Bum the Sad posted:

I paid $1700 for my last Tag, a grand didn't sound too bad for a slick watch. I can forever move it forward when I upgrade too.

"Forever". We'll see. I'm not convinced they will keep the current band connection design X revisions later.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

xgalaxy posted:

"Forever". We'll see. I'm not convinced they will keep the current band connection design X revisions later.

Oh no, then I'll buy a new one in a couple revisions. If the 2018 model accepts it and I can get four years out of it I'll be happy.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 18, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

The third party one I got is horrible. I haven't worn the Apple one, so I can't directly compare, but the knockoff constantly pinches my arm.

Not that I would spend the $600 on an Apple one, either.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Okay, I'm having a issue, maybe.

What I want: the watch to be silent when giving me notifications, but give me the tap for them.

What happens: watch is silent, but I only get the tap for Messages. When I send myself a DM via tweetbot, I get the notification but no tap. Even with sound back on...nothing.

Is this just how notifications work on the Watch? The Pebble buzzed me for everything, so I'm just acclimated to that.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Rorus Raz posted:

Okay, I'm having a issue, maybe.

What I want: the watch to be silent when giving me notifications, but give me the tap for them.

What happens: watch is silent, but I only get the tap for Messages. When I send myself a DM via tweetbot, I get the notification but no tap. Even with sound back on...nothing.

Is this just how notifications work on the Watch? The Pebble buzzed me for everything, so I'm just acclimated to that.

My watch buzzes me for everything but I have everything with notifications from my phone set to mirror my iPhone in the watch app notifications section. Check your notification settings on your iPhone and make sure you are mirroring notifications in the apple watch, it should carry through that way. If you customize watch app notifications there might be a haptic setting if the programmers put that setting into their watch app.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 18, 2016

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tweetbot mirrors my phone. I'm getting sound and haptic from messages, but nothing from this.

EDIT: Doing some research, haptic support may be from the app-maker if it's third party?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Rorus Raz posted:

Tweetbot mirrors my phone. I'm getting sound and haptic from messages, but nothing from this.

Maybe that specific app doesn't have vibrating watch enabled/coded in

Edit: I see your edit, that's gotta be it, the Tweetbot writer hasn't coded buzz on getting a twat or whatever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Gold is ugly and cheap-looking imo.

Also if you're getting a nylon band and intend to work out with the watch, I would highly recommend getting a sport band, also. The nylon band sucks up sweat and gets really gross really fast.

Did not know this. I thought being nylon it would deal with sweat allright. Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on exercising so this is good info.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Gold is by far the best color tbh

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

if you're a big gay baby

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Bum the Sad posted:

if you're a big gay baby

:agesilaus:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Touché my big gay baby friend.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I dunno, I'm kind of with you on this one. I really like the gold aluminum model.

The gold-gold one is probably over the top for me :smith:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The rose gold aluminum one looks really nice but I have to stick with black for everything since I'm boring.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Martytoof posted:

I dunno, I'm kind of with you on this one. I really like the gold aluminum model.

The gold-gold one is probably over the top for me :smith:

They stopped making the stupid $10,000 gold gold one.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

They stopped making the stupid $10,000 gold gold one.

I'm shocked.

Anyone know off the top of their head how Apple Store availability is refreshed? Should I be checking multiple times a day to see if I can reserve in-store pickup, or if it shows no availability at 8am that'll be the same for the rest of the day?

I hope stock levels even out this week. I don't want to have to wait until October :|

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 18, 2016

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Martytoof posted:

I'm shocked.
People who have $10,000 to spend on a watch expect that watch to last more than a couple years.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

I love actual watches and imho the Apple Watch is no watch, it's an extension of the phone. And to pay any more than the minimum entry fee makes no sense to me. The ceramic does look fresh tho~

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Martytoof posted:

I'm shocked.

Anyone know off the top of their head how Apple Store availability is refreshed? Should I be checking multiple times a day to see if I can reserve in-store pickup, or if it shows no availability at 8am that'll be the same for the rest of the day?

I hope stock levels even out this week. I don't want to have to wait until October :|

In the Oct 17-28 window so would love to know the answer to this as well. I have four stores within an hour of me.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I love actual watches and imho the Apple Watch is no watch, it's an extension of the phone. And to pay any more than the minimum entry fee makes no sense to me. The ceramic does look fresh tho~

I like the weight of the stainless. The alu watches feel too light and dinky to me, but that's why there's options.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeast posted:

I like the weight of the stainless. The alu watches feel too light and dinky to me, but that's why there's options.

Options.... hmm... ok I'll allow them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TraderStav posted:

In the Oct 17-28 window so would love to know the answer to this as well. I have four stores within an hour of me.

I was dumb and cancelled my preorder over the weekend thinking I could get it in store sooner, but then I read that people are getting their ship dates bumped up. I am bad at decisions.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I would love to use the A-watch to track sleep, but when do I charge it? Anyone figure this out?

Buy two and swap them out to charge every 12 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
What sleep app are people using? I want one that will do the Sleep Cycle thing where it wakes you up before your alarm at the right time for your body.

• Locked thread