Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Funhilde posted:

Yeah. The guy in the video is one of those types that has been doing it for so long without talking about it that he just does it. I think though just seeing someone do something can be informative.

It pleased me to see him doing exactly the kinds of things I want to do on the fabrics, including the airbrushing and the scuffing and the whole layering thing. Gonna dirty me up a costume this weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Harvey Baldman posted:

I... will admit that I have been looking for a mobility scooter. Not because I need one, but because I'm wondering if it'd be possible to get a cheap scooter from somewhere, then build a cardboard, cartoonishly-proportioned Gigahorse frame to go around it, and then cruise around slowly at the con all day. How hard is it to steal one of those electric shopping carts?

As a guy who just recently broke his ankle and has had to use a mobility scooter for shopping trips, they suck. Granted, my experience is with the beat up ones at the stores, so a real scooter might perform better.

They are heavy as gently caress, because you might be some 500 pound ham beast, and it has to support that weight. So unless you have a trailer and/or a truck, you aren't likely to just up and boost that ride.
Similarly, they are slow AF. If the ones I have used go up to 5mph, I would be floored. On that same token, they are electric motors, so there is no real gradual slow down; if you let go of the accelerator, you stop.
While they have a tight turning radius, the handling leaves a bit to be desired. Again, I have managed to navigate most grocery stores, but I go at slow times and even then, certain things are just simply inaccessible. I couldn't imagine navigating a crowded con floor without injuring somebody.

So, it could be done, but personally speaking, it would drive me nuts to even try. YMMV.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Fair point. Natalie has just finished admonishing me for wanting to try it anyway, since if I were able to actually find a cheap scooter in the price range I'm thinking I'd be denying its use and availability from someone who actually needs it. I just liked the mental image of slowly puttering onto the stage at NYCC in this thing. It'd be totally unwieldy in the crowds, though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If you have a harbor freight local, the shields are like 3$.

My local harbour freight is about 4000 miles away ;)

I bought a cheap clear blue plastic ring binder I'm gonna chop up which should do the trick.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Harvey Baldman posted:

Fair point. Natalie has just finished admonishing me for wanting to try it anyway, since if I were able to actually find a cheap scooter in the price range I'm thinking I'd be denying its use and availability from someone who actually needs it. I just liked the mental image of slowly puttering onto the stage at NYCC in this thing. It'd be totally unwieldy in the crowds, though.

Maybe you could frame it as "I'll purchase it, use it for the show, and then DONATE IT to a worthy cause". Now you're the good guy!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Skandranon posted:

Maybe you could frame it as "I'll purchase it, use it for the show, and then DONATE IT to a worthy cause". Now you're the good guy!

:agreed:

Or, find a broken one, fix it up, trick it out to your standards, lighten it a bit, and then donate it after the show. A guy I know found an old Rascal that was headed for the dump, picked it up, tricked it out with a comfy chair and a remote control, and used it as a ride for a friend of his who couldn't walk for a Halloween thing, then ended up just giving it to him afterward. Sadly, I don't have any pictures, but was pretty cool.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Get a second hand hot wheels car from Craigslist or something just for the stage judging.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Harvey Baldman posted:

Razr Scooter!!!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Someone asked a few posts back about cooling vests, and I'm also interested in thread suggestions. Has anyone worn cooling vests? If so, what brand did you go with, and what problems did you encounter?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
McKilligan was meme'd

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Funhilde posted:

McKilligan was meme'd

it is pretty much accurate tho

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
A few years back a friend of mine made a Dalek costume and just scooted around on an office chair inside it all day. Maybe not as fun as a mobility scooter, but it's a bit more practical.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I have an idea for my next project once I finish my current one, but I'm trying to scope out feasibility first. What would be the best way to make metallic armor that could be polished to a mirror finish? All of my armor builds so far have been craft foam, which doesn't seem like a solid foundation for something like that.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

blastron posted:

I have an idea for my next project once I finish my current one, but I'm trying to scope out feasibility first. What would be the best way to make metallic armor that could be polished to a mirror finish? All of my armor builds so far have been craft foam, which doesn't seem like a solid foundation for something like that.

Depending on how curved it is, I've seen fabulous results with foil. Otherwise you're probably looking at either chroming or actual metal

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Holy crap sticks.
My sister asked me to officiate her wedding. She and her fiancée are very non-traditional and also a bit older. I asked about location and themes and all that and I guess it's going to be in a wooded park, no white dress or tuxes or anything of the sort.

The best part: She said I can dress any way I want to.
So, I have three weeks to make the best druid costume I can manage.
Uh, where the hell do I start? A quick search on Amazon and I don't see any decent green cloaks for a reasonable price.
I'd like to make a (fake) fur pelt to wrap around my shoulders and then drape into a half-cape.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Inzombiac posted:

Holy crap sticks.
My sister asked me to officiate her wedding. She and her fiancée are very non-traditional and also a bit older. I asked about location and themes and all that and I guess it's going to be in a wooded park, no white dress or tuxes or anything of the sort.

Uh, where the hell do I start? A quick search on Amazon and I don't see any decent green cloaks for a reasonable price.
I'd like to make a (fake) fur pelt to wrap around my shoulders and then drape into a half-cape.

Man, go whole hog and show up like this.

But for real, Joanne Fabrics will have fake fur and the right material if you wanna sew yourself a cloak.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Inzombiac posted:

Holy crap sticks.

I can help with the pelt, but for the cloak: I've made a pattern from a cloak I bought before. I'm sure there are patterns out there, I just don't have experience with them.

For the pelt, I ordered my stuff from I'm Stuffed Fur, they were very good. Fake fur is going to be a little on the expensive side usually for decent stuff.

Once you have the fur, draw your pattern out on the back side, and then (this is important use an x-acto knife or equivalent to slice along the pattern. Do not use scissors. Using scissors will cut through the fur as well as the backing, which is no bueno.

What I did then was hand-baste the two halves together, fur side facing each other. Then just sew it together (making sure to try to catch as little fur to the "inside" as possible, you can also use a pin to shove it back where it belongs once you're done sewing), turn it right side out and viola! My pelt comes down in front of my shoulders and just drapes, so I left the neck open in order to put water bottles in the front bits to weight it down. Otherwise it'll just slide right off down the back. (Mine comes down to a little above my knees in back, about waist height in front).

If i have time I'll find my pics tonight or tomorrow.

E: forgot about the time frame. You'll probably have to buy your fur in-store somewhere. Which is 100% fine - I was trying to match existing artwork, so I needed a specific kind of fur.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thanks for the tips.
Yeah the timeframe is the real killer. I would like to make a crescent staff with a floating jewel but I don't have much experience with pink foam crafting and I definitely don't have time to carve something.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

blastron posted:

You can get special metallic paint for model kits that can be buffed to a very shiny finish, but I don't know how they'd look on something larger scale or if you can buy large tins/spray cans suitable for that kind of thing.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Does anyone have a good resource for very cheap, large, black feathers? I found www.moonlightfeather.com, and it seems decently cheap for the bulk packs, but I don't actually know, considering I've never looked before, really.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Not to be a dick, but did you clear druid specifically with your sister? I know they said no tuxes, dress however you want, but I'd still double check with the bride on your plans.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Network42 posted:

Not to be a dick, but did you clear druid specifically with your sister? I know they said no tuxes, dress however you want, but I'd still double check with the bride on your plans.

I appreciate the worry but her response was, "Yes! And you should dress as one every day!" I have a weird family.

Considering the time constraints, I'm commissioning the antler crown and chest piece from a couple of cosplayers I know.

Terec
Dec 14, 2001
Cybernetic Crumb

my cat is norris posted:

Someone asked a few posts back about cooling vests, and I'm also interested in thread suggestions. Has anyone worn cooling vests? If so, what brand did you go with, and what problems did you encounter?

ive looked into them and it seems the good ones are expensive as gently caress. the best circulate cold water around your chest. You could fix one up yourself with a micro pump, tubes, and a battery but you'd still have to figure out how to carry a reservoir around with your costume.

the cheaper ones have ice packs or something similiar in them and only last about 30 mins and get everything damp.

ive done a few costumes with built in fans, it helps in buildings with A/C but didnt help at all at Dragoncon in Atlanta heat/humidity. For about 40 bucks you can get some usb powered fans and a small cell charger thingie and have some air blowing around you.(havent tried this yet, but my test ran fine for 3 hours. charger still had power and wasnt hot)

Ive also thought about building a camelback into my costume so i have cold water at hand, gonna try that for next year.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Inzombiac posted:

I appreciate the worry but her response was, "Yes! And you should dress as one every day!" I have a weird family.

Considering the time constraints, I'm commissioning the antler crown and chest piece from a couple of cosplayers I know.

Seasonal Halloween stores are open around my area. Maybe you can check one of those pop-ups like Spirit for some supplies?

Terec posted:

ive looked into them and it seems the good ones are expensive as gently caress. the best circulate cold water around your chest. You could fix one up yourself with a micro pump, tubes, and a battery but you'd still have to figure out how to carry a reservoir around with your costume.

the cheaper ones have ice packs or something similiar in them and only last about 30 mins and get everything damp.

ive done a few costumes with built in fans, it helps in buildings with A/C but didnt help at all at Dragoncon in Atlanta heat/humidity. For about 40 bucks you can get some usb powered fans and a small cell charger thingie and have some air blowing around you.(havent tried this yet, but my test ran fine for 3 hours. charger still had power and wasnt hot)

Ive also thought about building a camelback into my costume so i have cold water at hand, gonna try that for next year.

Thanks for the response! Yeah, the ice pack thing doesn't seem fun...

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Some progress pics for my Junkrat project for the kid:

Still need to touch up the paint on the launcher. Then I'll figure out the harness for the wheel, the peg leg, bionic arm, etc.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay, I have a pretty good idea for a druid staff.
Where can I buy bundles of flexible sticks online and what's the most invisible fishing line/string available? It doesn't have to be very strong.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Inzombiac posted:

Okay, I have a pretty good idea for a druid staff.
Where can I buy bundles of flexible sticks online and what's the most invisible fishing line/string available? It doesn't have to be very strong.

Depending on the sticks, you might be able to find them at Joanne Fabrics, AC Moore, Michael's, or Hobby Lobby. You can also find cheap spools of floral crafting wire in the same sections as the sticks. It's very thin and green and made to blend in with plants much more easily than fishing line will.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thanks. Sorry, I wasn't clear. I want to make a crescent out of sticks and then "magically" suspend a gem or something in the center.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I'd just use fishing line. If you want to to move around a little more you could get clear elastic string in the beading department.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Inzombiac posted:

Thanks. Sorry, I wasn't clear. I want to make a crescent out of sticks and then "magically" suspend a gem or something in the center.

I've had good luck using bamboo garden stakes to make a lot of things, and you should be able to get them pretty cheaply at most hardware stores that sell garden stuff. You should be able to bend them into shape by steaming them, bend them how you want, then clamping it down and letting it 'dry'.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or tutorials for a raven or crow themed cane? Either something like a crow skull on the top of the cane, or maybe a crow's foot gripping a glass orb with something neat in it? The local Spirit has these two canes that are kind of what I'm looking for, but I'm looking to trim costs wherever I can, so if I can make one cheaper, I'd like to do so.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

neogeo0823 posted:

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or tutorials for a raven or crow themed cane? Either something like a crow skull on the top of the cane, or maybe a crow's foot gripping a glass orb with something neat in it? The local Spirit has these two canes that are kind of what I'm looking for, but I'm looking to trim costs wherever I can, so if I can make one cheaper, I'd like to do so.

PVC pipe. You may have to dig through your local hardware store bins to see what kinds of connectors they have to make a curve. After you get the basic shape, wrap it with masking tape and build layers so it looks like wood.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

blastron posted:

There are a bunch of posts about this exact problem on the replica prop forum and the 501st legion pages because of captain phasma in the newest star wars movie. The consensus there seems to be spraying a chroming agent over a primed anything be it worbla, abs plastic, whatever, if I recall correctly.

Terec
Dec 14, 2001
Cybernetic Crumb

L0cke17 posted:

There are a bunch of posts about this exact problem on the replica prop forum and the 501st legion pages because of captain phasma in the newest star wars movie. The consensus there seems to be spraying a chroming agent over a primed anything be it worbla, abs plastic, whatever, if I recall correctly.

for a metallic finish, you could also try aluminum foil tape and buff/polish it up. Not sure how mirror like the finish will be but a roll of it is less than $10 and you could give it a go.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You could always take the direct route and just make actual metal armor and buff it up to a perfect finish!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Terec posted:

for a metallic finish, you could also try aluminum foil tape and buff/polish it up. Not sure how mirror like the finish will be but a roll of it is less than $10 and you could give it a go.

Aluminum plumbers tape can be polished fairly well but some of the cheaper versions have a tendency to crinkle.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Wouldn't aluminum tape have hugely noticeable seams where the edges of tape strips were? That sounds like no kind of solution at all.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
According to Adam Savage; no, the seams aren't that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1--0DLJv-8

Whitz
Dec 17, 2012

HardDisk posted:

I was thinking in doing one of the characters in Overwatch, (either Soldier:76 or Junkrat, more specifically)

A month late to the party but if you need any advice on Junkrat I'm happy to help. Debuted mine last month at Gamescom and was really happy with how it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Blizzcon is right around the corner, and I'm behind. Finished up my cloak today, and got some ribbons cut/prepped for trim and details.

This is what I'm aiming for, but with white hair. It's some fan art posted on the WoW site in 2005 that I printed out and colored in. Looks like Aegwynn to me, which is why I'm changing the hair color.