Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SaturdayKnight posted:

Nah, he's gonna say USB-C, in which case you can buy a cable that may literally destroy your electronic because lol quality controls.

The alternatives to lightning are not better.
I'm sure you can buy a knockoff Lightning cable that will destroy your electronics too. The difference, of course, is that you can't buy them from reputable brands.

Edit: I was at Target and they had a jet black 7 (and black 7+) on display and wow, can't wait for mine to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Pretty sure you all are missing the spelling troll.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Is there a simple way to get artist photos back on the Music app? I don't use apple music if that changes things.

Empereur Norton
Feb 28, 2013
Another stupid apple question, if I reserve an iPhone to pick up in store can I get to pick a time slot? I want to go by tomorrow after work.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Empereur Norton posted:

Another stupid apple question, if I reserve an iPhone to pick up in store can I get to pick a time slot? I want to go by tomorrow after work.

Yeah, when you make a reservation you get to pick a 30 minute window you want to pick it up in.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
So who else is getting the buzz/hum/grind noise on their new iPhone? Plug your phone in to charge and the press your ear against the upper backside (right about where the Apple logo is).

My friend's 7 Plus was actually loud enough to hear at a distance; I assumed mine didn't have this noise until I got my ear within an inch or so of the back, then I could definitely hear it. It's only apparent while the phone is charging. Fortunately it's far less audible from the front side (talking on the phone it's unnoticeable, though if it's silent and my ear is against the earpiece it's noticeable).

Video found on youtube. Mine sounds more like grinding than hissing to me. It's not enough to bother me but I really wonder what's going on.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's being reported on Engadet and a couple of other places.

I hope it gets called whine-gate so the thing hits peak meta and stops happening every year.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
6s best iPhone ever made.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

6s best iPhone ever made.

I assume you can still get them new? Any reason to upgrade from a 6?

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Samsung's phones are literally setting Jeeps on fire but I'm sure the weird iPhone sound will make more news eventually.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

my iPhone 7 doesn't make any sounds.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turn off the mute switch!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I assume you can still get them new? Any reason to upgrade from a 6?

Debatable... 3D Touch is more of a selling point now thanks to iOS 10's new interactions, but it didn't have a whole lot of great uses before that (although keyboard trackpad mode is awesome and I'd never want to lose it.) Just about everything else is a standard incremental upgrade. The rear/front cameras got bumped to 12MP/5MP respectively, but retained the same focal length IIRC so it really didn't make a huge difference over the 6's already excellent camera. Still no OIS on the non-plus 6S, which is like the greatest upgrade the iPhone camera can get at this point. Processor got faster, GPU got faster, yadda yadda yadda. Both phones are blazing fast in 2016. The 6S did get bumped to 2GB of RAM, which definitely helps when "multitasking," but iOS is great on that front and thus I never had any major complaints with the 6.

If you don't want a plus model and it's only a difference of like $100, I'd really recommend going for a 7 over a 6S as an appreciable upgrade. But yes, you can still get a 6S new. I guess the new tiers available from Apple and at carriers are SE -> 6S/6S+ -> 7/7+.

enojy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 19, 2016

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Went to Apple Store to check out the new phone. You guys like the new home button? I was expecting the haptic feedback to be as good as the one on the MacBook. It just felt like the bottom of the phone was vibrating, nothing from the button itself.

It was disappointing, even messed with the three levels in the settings and they all felt bad.

I must be crazy cause I haven't seen any complaints regarding it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Social Animal posted:

Went to Apple Store to check out the new phone. You guys like the new home button? I was expecting the haptic feedback to be as good as the one on the MacBook. It just felt like the bottom of the phone was vibrating, nothing from the button itself.

It was disappointing, even messed with the three levels in the settings and they all felt bad.

I must be crazy cause I haven't seen any complaints regarding it.

I went in cynical as hell but I'm sold. I mashed that thing over and over and it felt pretty legit. Imho

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I'm actually really happy with the feel of it. It feels more button-like than I was expecting it to. I haven't tried the MacBook one though, so not sure how it compares.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jato posted:

I'm actually really happy with the feel of it. It feels more button-like than I was expecting it to. I haven't tried the MacBook one though, so not sure how it compares.

The macbook one is, to me, indistinguishable from a manual clicky trackpad. It's that good.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just saw an article that the new home button won't work without skin contact. Going to suck in the winter time. Those capacitive gloves always manage to wear out after some time as well.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The only reason it works on a trackpad is that you use only your finger on the trackpad and don't like, hold the entire laptop or some poo poo.

TraderStav posted:

Just saw an article that the new home button won't work without skin contact. Going to suck in the winter time. Those capacitive gloves always manage to wear out after some time as well.

My skin does not go away in the winter so I am okay

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

If want to do anything in the phone you have to use the touch screen anyway. Why not just press the lock button if you only want to see the screen? (assuming raise to wake didn't work for some reason)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

LODGE NORTH posted:

The only reason it works on a trackpad is that you use only your finger on the trackpad and don't like, hold the entire laptop or some poo poo.

Where I live we tend to cover them up with various types of wool or other insulating materials to keep out the frigid cold. But YMMV.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I've said it a few times, I'm more interested to see how apps use the Taptic Engine vs the home button.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Managed to snag a 7+ from my local Apple Store today. Pretty dope, but I have one question: is it normal for there to be a slight delay in touch response along the very left edge of the screen? For example, go to your contacts list and press and hold on a contact's name. The grey highlight appears immediately. Press and hold on their name along the very left edge of the screen, though, and it takes a second for the highlight to appear. I suspect it has to do with the 3D Touch task switcher gesture, but I was just wondering if this is expected behavior.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Pertplus posted:

If want to do anything in the phone you have to use the touch screen anyway. Why not just press the lock button if you only want to see the screen? (assuming raise to wake didn't work for some reason)

Lots of people have gloves that can activate a touchscreen but not the home button.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Weedle posted:

Managed to snag a 7+ from my local Apple Store today. Pretty dope, but I have one question: is it normal for there to be a slight delay in touch response along the very left edge of the screen? For example, go to your contacts list and press and hold on a contact's name. The grey highlight appears immediately. Press and hold on their name along the very left edge of the screen, though, and it takes a second for the highlight to appear. I suspect it has to do with the 3D Touch task switcher gesture, but I was just wondering if this is expected behavior.

Lag of any kind is not normal.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

LODGE NORTH posted:

Clearly you've never experienced a proper winter.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

Lots of people have gloves that can activate a touchscreen but not the home button.

You can always swipe to the widgets and click on something to bring up the passcode prompt

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
So the lock screen in 10: I seem to be able to do all the same things on the lock screen whether it's locked or not. So what is the point of having my initial tap on the home button unlock it, if I then have to hit it again to open the home screen? I don't care about unlocking the lock screen - what the hell good does that do, what's it even for?

Can I change this so that my first press on the home button brings me to the homescreen, like before the update?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I don't understand the first part of your post but yes, check Accessibility.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jackpot posted:

So the lock screen in 10: I seem to be able to do all the same things on the lock screen whether it's locked or not. So what is the point of having my initial tap on the home button unlock it, if I then have to hit it again to open the home screen? I don't care about unlocking the lock screen - what the hell good does that do, what's it even for?

Can I change this so that my first press on the home button brings me to the homescreen, like before the update?

This time last year the thread was filled with so much first world problems-ing about how the touchID sensor was so fast that people couldn't read their notifications because it unlocked as soon as they pressed the home button. So now it won't unlock until you press the home button again, until you do like they said above and toggle the Accessibility setting.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

carry on then posted:

This time last year the thread was filled with so much first world problems-ing about how the touchID sensor was so fast that people couldn't read their notifications because it unlocked as soon as they pressed the home button. So now it won't unlock until you press the home button again, until you do like they said above and toggle the Accessibility setting.
Ha, I totally get it, because the sensor was drat fast. But rather than cry about it I just taught myself how to half-tap without unlocking it all the way. Thanks, I'll turn it off for now.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
In Settings -> Touch ID & Passcode you can restrict what you can do from the lock screen, e.g. make it so you have to unlock first before replying to a message via a lock screen notification.

So, basically you can access widgets and notifications and things after just doing a raise-to-wake + registered fingerprint resting on the home button, but if someone else picked up your phone they couldn't do those things.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I just saw this posted as a joke:
https://twitter.com/mostgood/status/776767255925383169
but honestly, it would be cool as hell if you could plug lightning headphones into the ATV4 remote and have it mute the tv and play through the headphones.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I just saw this posted as a joke:
https://twitter.com/mostgood/status/776767255925383169
but honestly, it would be cool as hell if you could plug lightning headphones into the ATV4 remote and have it mute the tv and play through the headphones.

The Roku does this and it's rad af

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
The iPhone 7 is my first iPhone, so excuse me if I come off as ignorance: there is no way to text via computer with an iPhone is there (not a Mac, but in Windows) is there? Being on Android for the last 7 years, I used to use Pushbullet all the time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

The Roku does this and it's rad af

So does the PS4.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So does the xbox one.

(if you buy their $25 controller adapter because of course Microsoft wants to make a peripheral for it)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

OMGMYSPLEEN posted:

The iPhone 7 is my first iPhone, so excuse me if I come off as ignorance: there is no way to text via computer with an iPhone is there (not a Mac, but in Windows) is there? Being on Android for the last 7 years, I used to use Pushbullet all the time.

If you want to use iMessage than no, it's Mac only.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

FCKGW posted:

If you want to use iMessage than no, it's Mac only.

Bummer, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You can install a VNC server onto your phone if you jailbreak. (lol)

I just bought one of those mini bluetooth keyboards and keep it by my PC and turn it on if I want to compose a message longer than a tweet.