Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Another way to put it, for Subaru to have a happy scene with Emilia he had to kill a giant monster whale, a powerful cultist whose ability to cheat death is as almost as good as the main character , and the corpse of said cultist fueled by spite and fell magic and this was just the successful play through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
It's also entirely fitting that an arc that started with Subaru getting into a big fight with Emilia and everything immediately going to hell ended with the two finally sitting down and talking things out.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Would it be safe to say that we could expect an OVA covering the Arc 3 Epilogue this winter at earliest, followed by season 2 in a year or so? The author kind of has to adapt the entirety of arc 4 from WN to LN first, and that alone deserves two-cour treatment. I'm also hearing that we can expect an OVA spinoff with Ferris sooner than later, right?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well I found that ending completely satisfying. Seriously this anime is so much better than I initially expected.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
During Emilia's ending speech, I first felt happy that she was so happy, then incredibly sad an upset for how lovely her life must have been till that point. It was obvious and very referenced before, but it didn't hit home for me until it was placed in the context of being so happy at not only Subaru's love, but the mere concept of being loved.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 19, 2016

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Weird ending. Feels like they were brushing up against the episode count hard. Emelia should have gotten her own episode or something.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

:siren: WN/LN mega spoilers :siren:

I kind of wonder how the studio will handle "killing" Rem off. There's so much merch/marketing based on her, it's hard to imagine them dropping her thread for several arcs. As far as I'm aware, the furthest is like Arc 13 and still hasn't reached any sort of conclusion with her. I don't think that sort of thing would fly in Western media. It seems like something the studio would intervene on for marketing reasons.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Grouchio posted:

Alrighty. Time to elaborate.

:siren: SPOILERS FOR EPILOGUE OF ARC 3 :siren:

And all of this happened before the blank letter was sent, which is why it was blank in the first place.

I'm a bit confused on this note. How'd the letter get there before them? Or do you mean that because Rem wrote the letter, her getting more or less retconned out render the letter blank?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
New ad up for vol 9 of the light novel edition:

People have mentioned the very sneaky use of れ (re) in a particular shade of blue, changing the meaning from "doesn't end" to "can't end".

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is the foreshadowing stuff left out in the anime really integrated into the plot, or is it stuff they could potentially cover in a side OVA series that takes place at various timeframes during the main series? or some kind of solution along those lines?

i'm just spitballing here i guess, i'd hate to see a show this good get a bad second season because of cutting that stuff out, or not get a second season period because of how difficult continuing to adapt the story would be

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

jon joe posted:

During Emilia's ending speech, I first felt happy that she was so happy, then incredibly sad an upset for how lovely her life must have been till that point. It was obvious and very referenced before, but it didn't hit home for me until it was placed in the context of being so happy at not only Subaru's love, but the mere concept of being loved.

I will put this into spoilers, but is only a theory about Emilia.

I have the theory that she was created recently already has a adult with implanted memories, but basic ones. This explain why she don't look very smart or bright, and have zero malice.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What makes you think that Emilia isn't very smart or bright??????

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

With the exception of Return By Death emelia seems more competent than subaru in every respect, and Subaru seems to be either average or maybe slightly above average in every respect

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kazy posted:

:siren: WN/LN mega spoilers :siren:

I kind of wonder how the studio will handle "killing" Rem off. There's so much merch/marketing based on her, it's hard to imagine them dropping her thread for several arcs. As far as I'm aware, the furthest is like Arc 13 and still hasn't reached any sort of conclusion with her. I don't think that sort of thing would fly in Western media. It seems like something the studio would intervene on for marketing reasons.

They'll just use Ram instead, it'll have less emotional impact overall, but it won't tank the merchandise.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Thor-Stryker posted:

They'll just use Ram instead, it'll have less emotional impact overall, but it won't tank the merchandise.
Unfortunately that isn't canon, and is considered to big of a long-term plot-point to gloss over.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I actually didn't like the happy-go-lucky ending, but nice series anyways. I suppose given the novel spoilers I would have prefered if post credits they continue talking and Subaru happens to mention Rem in passing and Emilia is all "Who's that?" on a blank white screen and the series ends but it would have taken major balls to do something like that.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Would have been a fine ending for the anime if it was guaranteed a second season, but since it isn't at the moment this current ending is a lot better since it's not a basic "gently caress you" to the people that won't be able to watch any more.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

ninjewtsu posted:

is the foreshadowing stuff left out in the anime really integrated into the plot, or is it stuff they could potentially cover in a side OVA series that takes place at various timeframes during the main series? or some kind of solution along those lines?

i'm just spitballing here i guess, i'd hate to see a show this good get a bad second season because of cutting that stuff out, or not get a second season period because of how difficult continuing to adapt the story would be

The only viable OVA besides side stories about Crusch's faction's members, would be about the daily slice of life events inbetween the second and third arc at the Roswaal Mansion involving the main cast. You can kinda of inject some of Subaru and Emilia's missing character traits in those scenes and at some point maybe Emilia, Puck and Roswaal can have a conversation among themselves reminiscing how they first met. And then at the end of the episode maybe have the Beatrice reveal to leave it off with an ominous cliffhanger.

But everything else missing would be hard to put in at this point, the biggest being Puck and Satella. The Satella missing stuff I could see just getting added in the second season. But Puck is a whole another story. At this point of the story Subaru basically hates Puck's guts and already gotten into a shouting match with him so anime only viewers are going to be in for a surprise at the very first episode of the second season in regards to his attitude towards Puck. It was obvious even without that crunchyroll interview that someone on the script writer/director staff liked Puck alot since pretty much everything negative portrayed about him were taken out. I guess it might have to do with merchandising. In the japanese fandom there's a reason Puck is commonly known as Number One Useless Character in Re:Zero and P in Puck Stands For Piece of Trash.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 19, 2016

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I guess it might have to do with merchandising. In the japanese fandom there's a reason Puck is commonly known as Number One Useless Character in Re:Zero and P in Puck Stands For Piece of Trash.

That's pretty funny. He really comes off more as a cute though vengeful spirit in the show. Wonder what it would've been like to see him as #1 rear end in a top hat CAT.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
That's an interesting thing about Puck there. As an anime viewer I guess it will be interesting to see what they do about that if there's a second season.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Season 2 is in the works, apparently.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-09-19/re-zero-novel-ad-tv-anime-sequel-is-in-the-novels/.106628

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It's an advertisement for volume 9 and how it goes pass where the anime ends off

And the ad mentions nothing about 'sequel' or whatever Jealous Witch and Master Swordsman type translator they got writing that article

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 19, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Not including the spoiler into the episode's ending was...truly slothful...

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

anime only viewers are going to be in for a surprise at the very first episode of the second season in regards to his attitude towards Puck

He's been murdered by Puck, like, a bunch of times.

Admittedly, murdering Subaru has never been a friendship dealbreaker for him before, but it's not going to be hard to add personal tension there when he's already seen that Puck secretly hates him and will commit immediately start committing genocide if Emilia ever dies.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

And the ad mentions nothing about 'sequel' or whatever Jealous Witch and Master Swordsman type translator they got writing that article

I think I managed to convince CR that Patrasche is a lady. Small victories. :unsmith:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Ending on (wn arc 3 spoiler) who's Rem would have made it for me, though I'd love to see how his attitude with Puck would change.

I've been watching this with my other half and we've been feeling for a while that something was missing. Subaru's victories seemed unusually large, and the tension in the show hadn't really felt as strong since the whale battle either. The missing loop and gut punch at the end really feel like they'd have made it feel more whole for me.

It was weird because, while he went through hell to save her, his ending with Emilia still felt a little unearned to me, unlike the episode when Rem and Subaru talked it out. The missing loop would have probably done the trick.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 19, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I don't get why they didn't include the Who's Rem? scene. Even if the show doesn't get a second season, it wouldn't make a difference because we still have no loving clue why Subaru was pulled from another world, why Satella is doing what she do, and the whole Dragon Queen thing.

A cliffhanger ending might have actually boosted sales since people would be clamoring for what happens next.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Thor-Stryker posted:

A cliffhanger ending might have actually boosted sales since people would be clamoring for what happens next.

It'd be a dick move. Let's be able to enjoy the bit of happiness Subaru has before immediately making GBS threads on him.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It'd shake up the sales of said character merch.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they would have been stupid to end a show on a cliffhanger that doesn't have a second season.

the ending was fine and every post I read complaining about changes they made from the original almost always makes the animes version sound better

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

That's the thing, the ending was just fine, opposed to absolutely amazing. It's not a big deal, almost no one can pull off a fantastic ending.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They gave the show a happy ending to the season because they don't know if they will get a second season. I much rather have something like that then ending with an obvious sequel hook that never comes.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Consider a hypothetical world where this was an anime-only work, and the show really did end where it did. Even with a bunch of unanswered questions, the hypothetical end would be "and they lived happily ever after" and maybe it'd get a spin-off romcom.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

they would have been stupid to end a show on a cliffhanger that doesn't have a second season.

the ending was fine and every post I read complaining about changes they made from the original almost always makes the animes version sound better

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

like realize that you people are asking for another rokka ending and be ashamed

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Erg posted:

like realize that you people are asking for another rokka ending and be ashamed
Ugh, that garbage.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The spoiler stuff they didn't include could easily be added if they make a season 2. Start off a bit before the ending and then do a "meanwhile with this character" and continue from there.
I liked the ending they went with.

If Vol.9 is just coming out and continues from here then I don't see a season 2 happening for a while, doubt they would adapt from the WN, might hurt the LN sales.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I just watched the entire series after ignoring it while it was airing, and while it was generally entertaining I feel like Subaru's relationship with Emilia was way too underdeveloped for that to be any kind of satisfying ending. I mean, yeah they had that argument halfway through the show, but then she spent the entire second half being almost a faceless "prize" for Subaru to win by doing the exact same sort of assholeish one-sided savior thing that he was doing before. Except... even more manipulative because he got better at it through experience? I dunno, the whole "trick her into evacuating with the kids" thing didn't sit well with me at all, and while at the very end he gave a big speech about how he's a different man now who respects her feelings instead of just wanting to show off, that doesn't actually line up with anything he did differently? The only real difference between rear end in a top hat Subaru and ending Subaru is how many other friends he made in the meantime.

I feel like the last episode should've spent way more time making it clear that Subaru was treating her differently from before, and way less time dealing with the crazy villain who we'd already seen easily killed off like half a dozen times in the previous iteration. I get it, you have a new trick to avoid being possessed, but why does this entail having pointlessly dramatic battles with an enemy you've already beaten?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Demicol posted:

The spoiler stuff they didn't include could easily be added if they make a season 2. Start off a bit before the ending and then do a "meanwhile with this character" and continue from there.

Like Batman v Superman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the difference between rear end in a top hat subaru and ending subaru isn't the part where subaru sneaks into the royal proceeding and embarasses emilia in front of the most important people in the nation, it's the part where afterwords emilia says "why are you doing this to me" and subaru's response is "gently caress you, you owe me"

that's what's changed, he wouldn't say that to her now. he'll still do stupid poo poo without her knowledge that has a massive effect on her personal standing and well being, but he at least now does so with the understanding that emilia doesn't by default agree with his decisions, nor does she have to. she's her own person, who will make her own decisions that subaru doesn't agree with, and his reaction to this phenomena now isn't throwing a huge hissy fit

which i guess is kinda weak but i assume that with so much unadapted material, it leaves a lot of room for their relationship to further develop. baby steps, i guess?

subaru is kind of a dick except for the part where he goes through hell to save everyone's lives once a month or whatever

• Locked thread