Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!
I thought that the opening-credits sequence of Stranger Things was most evocative of that of The Terminator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6auDCAGJgE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
That was my first impression as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I immediately thought of The Terminator also, although the 80s were really the zenith of ominous title crawls.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It reminded me of star wars

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I had just rewatched the first two terminators several days previous to watching Stranger Things so it immediately clicked for me as well.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1AWHizZwzY

David Harbour is a Cool Dude. :allears:

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

http://pitchfork.com/news/68383-watch-stranger-things-kids-perform-bruno-mars-uptown-funk-at-emmys-pre-show/

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-geeky-kids-from-stranger-things-were-the-coolest-thing-at-the-emmys-2016/

I really like those kids.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

moist turtleneck posted:

It reminded me of star wars

I haven't been following this thread, but surely I'm not the only one who got major Harrison Ford vibes from Hooper.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This show is a little more fun if you imagine Matthew Modine's reprising his character from Full Metal Jacket.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

It continually blows my mind how absurdly charismatic these kids are. They've achieved a level of charming that the vast majority of professional actors can only dream of, and they've achieved it at the age of middle schoolers, which are well known as The Worst of All Possible Children.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Discombobulator posted:

I haven't been following this thread, but surely I'm not the only one who got major Harrison Ford vibes from Hooper.

He sounds pretty much exactly like Ford in a couple spots. I have no idea if David Harbour was doing that intentionally but it happened.

Xealot posted:

ll!M.

But yes, definitely. Flashbacks are already part of the show's toolkit, so seeing the other side of the R U N scene or something would be awesome.

The second episode is apparently titled "The Boy Who Came Back To Life", so we're definitely getting at least one focus episode on Will.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 19, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Red posted:

Think this series will ever be released on physical media?

Anyone? Thoughts?

Bert Roberge posted:

We should all refer to Will in the upside down as lliM.

Wouldn't it be M!ll? :)

Vegetable posted:

This show is a little more fun if you imagine Matthew Modine's reprising his character from Full Metal Jacket.

How so? The two characters are nothing alike.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Yes but they're played by the same actor and isn't that interesting?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Not ... really?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Speak on that.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

If there's one thing Joker learned from his experience in the army, it's that the military-industrial complex is great and that devoting his career to mindlessly fighting Communism makes complete sense.

Also, if you push buzzcut weirdos to their limits, it always works out and is a good idea. It never ends in explosive violence and everything is under control.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Red posted:

Anyone? Thoughts?

If you live in the U.S., probably not; while Daredevil is getting a disc release, it's only in the UK. Netflix wants you to access their service for the content they finance, as it happens!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

SpaceDrake posted:

If you live in the U.S., probably not; while Daredevil is getting a disc release, it's only in the UK. Netflix wants you to access their service for the content they finance, as it happens!

Netflix actually does tend to release their more popular shows on DVD, Daredevil is more the exception than the rule.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Netflix actually does tend to release their more popular shows on DVD, Daredevil is more the exception than the rule.

I would love for there to be a blu of this and Jessica Jones, just for the commentaries.

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

Xealot posted:

If there's one thing Joker learned from his experience in the army

He was in the Marine Corps, silly.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Orange is the New Black gets DVD/Blu-Ray releases so I don't see why not.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.
Stranger Things would be an insta-buy for me on blu-ray. I just wish Netflix would release Bojack... :(

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://soundcloud.com/kmlkmljkl/stranger-bonfires

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Well, it was bound to happen eventually.

https://twitter.com/rejectedjokes/status/778342512339542016

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Such glorious hair! :allears:

Now somebody needs to start a campaign to get Nick from Fear the Walking Dead to be in the same room as Johnny Depp...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lmao

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Season 2 looking good.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jean-Ralphio as Steve's dad explains so much about his behavior.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Except it would be more like Steve is Jean-Ralphios uncle. Oh man, since Jean-Ralphio's dad is Henry Winkler we could see Steve's brother, a de-aged Fonzie!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Medullah posted:

Except it would be more like Steve is Jean-Ralphios uncle. Oh man, since Jean-Ralphio's dad is Henry Winkler we could see Steve's brother, a de-aged Fonzie!

Ben Schwartz is old enough to have a child that old, is something I learned checking ages. That made me realize I'm almost but not quite that old. I am old enough to have a child that could be a high school senior had I made poor life decisions as a junior myself.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So the pre-orders for the vinyl went up. They have like 8 different variation limited editions. Some were sold out instantly.

I got the B&N red marble edition.

I can only help this prompts more collectible poo poo, blurays, poo poo, video games, and maybe even more shows that tap into this sort of goonies teamwork funtime story stuff.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Jean-Ralphio lol I sure hope he has like some range although it would be hilarious to imagine that he never aged as a result of something in Stranger Things and ends up in Pawnee because.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Could Stranger Things have been set in Indiana as a little (teeny tiny) homage to Eerie, Indiana? Not that Eerie, Indiana was a success or nearly as good as Stranger Things by any stretch, but just as more of a hat-tip, at-least-they-were-trying thing. The shows do seem to be the same general type of thing.

Also, Stranger Things reminds me (positively and narrowly) of the movie Michael Clayton, but that's another story.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Onomarchus posted:

Also, Stranger Things reminds me (positively and narrowly) of the movie Michael Clayton, but that's another story.

in what way?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Jean-Ralphio lol I sure hope he has like some range although it would be hilarious to imagine that he never aged as a result of something in Stranger Things and ends up in Pawnee because.

I mean eleven ended up in Pawnee:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

This one is also interesting: https://soundcloud.com/prom-queen-1/stranger-peaks
Not sure whether I actually like it, but it works astonishingly well.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

hangedman1984 posted:

This is now officially canon.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

TommyGun85 posted:

in what way?

Well, it's better going into Michael Clayton not knowing, but since you asked: the role of Dungeons & Dragons in Stranger Things is fulfilled in Michael Clayton by an analog to Magic the Gathering. They're both there in the continuity (guiding people's morality too) but also providing theme or something like that for the audience. It's probably even more important in Michael Clayton at one key point too.

I don't think I can claim there was an intentional reference to it here--Stranger Things has plenty of those already--just a way it turned out being reminiscent. And being done pitch perfectly in both cases too.

I can use spoilers on the Michael Clayton stuff if I'm supposed to.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

hangedman1984 posted:

ahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How's the math work out for the ages involved?

• Locked thread