Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I have a bad feeling that part 8 is going to be like part 5: a great part hindered by a half-assed translation. Still, I am enjoying the hell out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
well the Part 8 translation isn't 100% made up of lies so, i think it'll be fine

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, this translation isn't great but it's a lot better than part 5's. It suffers a lot from the purple prose disease that affects 50% of manga scanlators in the world (the other 50% have Tourette's instead), but it's not...alien like Vento Aureo's.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the translation for jojolion is actually saying what the characters are supposed to say, just all...in a weird way, mostly. like the character is there and all but they put the words through a hosed up speak and spell.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

the translation for jojolion is actually saying what the characters are supposed to say, just all...in a weird way, mostly. like the character is there and all but they put the words through a hosed up speak and spell.

Yeah, the main problem as far as I can tell is the translator seems to be translating way too literally, and doesn't take into account English speech patterns and style, so everyone sounds more stilted than they should. A lot of fan translators spend way too much time trying to preserve the exact semantic meaning of every word, rather than focusing on the overall meaning and voice of the character, and end up losing the forest for the trees. The characters are still fundamentally interesting, and this is, as many people have mentioned, still way better than Vento Aureo's tragic state. But I do think it's similar in that a better translation would make it really shine.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that one chapter that some anonymous person beat the 'normal' translator to doing was actually pretty nice, and i think a combination of the two would work well

but as it is i have a feeling that the 'normal' guy is in it for the long haul and won't change for poo poo

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i wonder if kaato's stand is going to be named Ace of Spades

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hi Wa Mata Noboru have an editor, or perhaps lack of one as a whole, who is bad at English text. It's more duwang than vento.

That or the translator (who is definitely a bit of a petulant sort) is too touchy and will drop the project if he's questioned too much or told his translations aren't good.

Like, we know that "Kaato" is spelt with a C, it's on her wedding ring. There's no reason to use a K and anyone with stones would tell him to knock that poo poo off. "Karera" is probably a mistranslation too, honestly.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

NecroMonster posted:

i wonder if kaato's stand is going to be named Ace of Spades

King Diamond

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Hi Wa Mata Noboru have an editor, or perhaps lack of one as a whole, who is bad at English text. It's more duwang than vento.

That or the translator (who is definitely a bit of a petulant sort) is too touchy and will drop the project if he's questioned too much or told his translations aren't good.

Like, we know that "Kaato" is spelt with a C, it's on her wedding ring. There's no reason to use a K and anyone with stones would tell him to knock that poo poo off. "Karera" is probably a mistranslation too, honestly.

didn't they also threaten to quite the one time some dude from /a/ beat them to the translation? they seem super touchy about the whole thing. it reminds me of old Berserk with Gutzu and poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, they said they'd drop the project if they kept getting beat to it because it invalidates them. The /a/ translation was probably better overall, even considering one person did absolutely everything, rather than having one typesetter, one cleaner etc

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that /a/ translation even read like something that people would actually say, and i feel like it wasn't just making poo poo up in the process as well. i guess the hi wa person feels like they have the 'rights' to translating the part, as stupid as it sounds.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
For what it's worth, the HWMN translator (or possibly an editor?) will sometimes go back and correct some of the especially awkward lines. They updated, for instance, the chapter that introduces Cato so that she's not talking about herself in the third person and confusing people about who "mom" is. Some of the issues are probably from the translator trying to beat /a/ to the punch, and I'm not gonna complain about getting consistent updates in a language I can read, but I hope someday they go back over the whole thing with a better ear for English dialogue.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

My pet theory is that SBR-universe final bosses will all have space bullshit powers just like SDC-universe ones had time bullshit powers. If that is correct, it's likely that Cato is the final boss of JJL.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I can't wait for the degree to which kira worked with jobin, possibly, to never be explained

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WrightOfWay posted:

My pet theory is that SBR-universe final bosses will all have space bullshit powers just like SDC-universe ones had time bullshit powers. If that is correct, it's likely that Cato is the final boss of JJL.

I'd approve of this shift. Time Bullshit can only go so far, let's get some Space Bullshit

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/WeedVentoAureo/status/777608098236235776

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

VAB is a treasure

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/WeedVentoAureo/status/777620109921837057

I'm in love with phrasing the weird poo poo that happens in Jojo as stage directions.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

(Exit, pursued by a DIO)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://twitter.com/WeedVentoAureo/status/777645490242543616

kind of mindblowing that this twitter is more accurate than the old translation

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm expecting an upset and Jobin turning out to be the final boss. Jojolion has destroyed a lot of the typical plot structure of Jojo. There has been a timeskip to the present rather than to the '30s, the Jojo is Josuke but the main antagonist is not Kira, who instead is part of Josuke, the family tree has become so complex that drawing comparisons and saying "this character is this universe's X" is more or less impossible... Jojolion is doing its own thing a lot more than SBR did.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm in love with phrasing the weird poo poo that happens in Jojo as stage directions.

https://twitter.com/WeedVentoAureo/status/777630533513842688

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

YF-23 posted:

I'm expecting an upset and Jobin turning out to be the final boss. Jojolion has destroyed a lot of the typical plot structure of Jojo. There has been a timeskip to the present rather than to the '30s, the Jojo is Josuke but the main antagonist is not Kira, who instead is part of Josuke, the family tree has become so complex that drawing comparisons and saying "this character is this universe's X" is more or less impossible... Jojolion is doing its own thing a lot more than SBR did.

I'd be totally cool with that and happy to be wrong but while obviously Jobin's hiding an even more sinister side than what we've seen and he's been up to some poo poo with Caato he still reads to me as somebody who is doing poo poo for their own agenda, will possibly get in over their head, and will likely flip back to the good side at the last possible second before eating poo poo in a bad way.

I have an easier time buying Caato as the villain. But I get the sense that whatever extent to which Jobin had an association with Damo and his lot, that was just one iron in the fire. I think he's tangled up in something larger.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like the single panel after Damo dies with Jobin on the phone in his car, sweating, hand over his face. Like what the hell are you up to my boy??

Part 8 having a female villain would be the tightest poo poo and I hope Jobin and Caato stay bad forever because mother and son should not fight, Caato is innocent and Jobin knows it. Very excited to see Speed King again when Jobin makes Josuke's eyes explode from heat or whatever

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just hope that really is it for the rock men cartel, I'd love for the sinister Stone Posing race to just be a prelude to a prolonged fight with humans.

e: it's like if Joseph beat Kars and then BT continued and showed off WW2

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Moltrey posted:

I like the single panel after Damo dies with Jobin on the phone in his car, sweating, hand over his face. Like what the hell are you up to my boy??

tbf the gig would have been up way sooner if anyone felt like noticing that every other person wearing spikes has been part of the fruit mafia

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/WeedVentoAureo/status/777639539657547776

this twitter is incredible

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/WeedVentoAureo/status/777640267444789248

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
mouse over this spoiler for my guess of the big bad of part 8 josuke and yasuho has to fight him

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

no they will not posted:

mouse over this spoiler for my guess of the big bad of part 8 josuke and yasuho has to fight him

Why'd I loving look at that when you even warned us it was a spoiler

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I still really think it's possible Speed King is either a time or space manipulating stand. Like it's absolutely Stand Smart to just loving lie about what you can do, and Norisuke even noted this to Josuke. He almost certainly would have told his children the same thing. If Speed King can manipulate friction or something it would explain the rising temperature poo poo that he did.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I wish I could erase SBR from my brain so I could read it again totally fresh and new.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I mean I guess, but I don't really see what's to be gained from a writing stand point to go "Actually, my Stand DOES THIS ridiculous thing instead". As a reveal it's very "...oh...okay". I feel like in the two times we've seen it, saying it just creates small, extremely intense areas of heat fits. I mean with a name like Speed King, it's not out of the question but i unno. If anything, what the hell does Hato stand do? I hope more beside "Extend her heels twenty feet" cause even though that's cool, I wanna see more Hato.

NecroMonster posted:

I wish I could erase SBR from my brain so I could read it again totally fresh and new.
hell, same

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I think Hato's stand is based on needles or like sticks of some kind. the manifestation itself looks like it's basically that. In fact basically all of the families stands are based on or include games or toys of some kind in their themes.

"Pick up sticks"?

Anyway, only Joshu's stand doesn't seem to fit, but I'm sure there is some sort of toy that involves nuts and bolts I'm not aware of.

We don't really know enough about Jobin's stand to properly tell, but he does use it to fight beetles.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Speed King is a spooky kabuki puppet man, the one time we've seen it.

I like that Daiya's Stand, California King Bed, looks like a neck pillow with some extra bits on it and King Nothing is a dope looking puzzle boy, want a fig of that

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

NecroMonster posted:

I think Hato's stand is based on needles or like sticks of some kind. the manifestation itself looks like it's basically that. In fact basically all of the families stands are based on or include games or toys of some kind in their themes.

I wonder what Hato's stand can do when she's not wearing heels

NecroMonster posted:

Anyway, only Joshu's stand doesn't seem to fit, but I'm sure there is some sort of toy that involves nuts and bolts I'm not aware of.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
California King Bed was the first and only Stand name that made me go "Okay, hold up, wait, no, I don't think you're allowed to name a Stand that, Hirohiko Araki-sensei, creator of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, that's just silly I challenge you on that one."

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

yeah, that would be it, now i feel like an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
i bet joshuu spends a lot of time playing with his 'erector set'. what a creep