Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

The Moon Monster posted:

The straw that broke the camel's back for me on Wildstar is pretty funny/stupid. I had about 3 and half platinum to my name, which was enough to buy like half a year of game time. This was in the game's first month, dunno if the price for game item got much more expensive as time went on.

Anyway, I was going around buying pieces of mount flair you could get from rep vendors, generally for around 5-10 silver, a more or less negligible amount of money. So I find another vendor and buy some unremarkable saddlebag for the right side of a mount for 3 silver. Then I try to buy the left side saddlebag, but I can't and my money has gone down to 50 gold. It turned out the saddlebag had cost 3 platinum instead of 3 silver, which I didn't notice because the icon for platinum was almost identical to the icon for silver, and all the other mount flair pieces had cost low amounts of silver.

I hadn't actually used the flair yet but it only vended for something like 10 gold so I put it a support ticket to see if they could refund the item. Nope, their hands were tied. Like $70 worth of game time down the drain for some dumb, drab cosmetic item that I wouldn't be surprised if literally no one who played that game has ever used. It's been awhile so those numbers probably aren't exactly right, but I do distinctly remember it being enough money to buy half a year of game time almost all being wiped out by some saddlebag. To be fair it was as much my fault as anyone's but it sure did kill any enthusiasm I had remaining.

I wonder if they would have been better off waiting 6 months for people to cool off from Lich King. Probably not Since I hear Lich King was the best expansion WoW ever did. It seems like they were kinda screwed on the launch window unless they wanted to delay the game, like, a full year. In retrospect that may have actually been the right call.

Too many game support policies are stupid in this manner. If you're taking someone's $15/month and they hit an issue that takes away their spacebux and they're pissed off, give them the spacebux it's fake just give it to them you idiots so they keep paying you real money. Don't risk losing a customer over whatever stupid in-game item they lost/bought/sold/etc, just give it to them and continue cashing their checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Most games give you one or two mulligans for stuff like that for exactly that reason.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The fear is probably that players will abuse it and ruin the economy or whatever. Not that this is necessarily a reasonable fear, and having a limited number of no-questions-asked take backs is a good solution.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Clarste posted:

The fear is probably that players will abuse it and ruin the economy or whatever. Not that this is necessarily a reasonable fear, and having a limited number of no-questions-asked take backs is a good solution.

This is even better when you consider that WS had a duping problem that crushed its economy and the devs refused to roll back the servers.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Valatar posted:

Too many game support policies are stupid in this manner. If you're taking someone's $15/month and they hit an issue that takes away their spacebux and they're pissed off, give them the spacebux it's fake just give it to them you idiots so they keep paying you real money. Don't risk losing a customer over whatever stupid in-game item they lost/bought/sold/etc, just give it to them and continue cashing their checks.

WildStar's code is spaghetti and I'm guessing lot of the people who can make complete sense of it are gone. How it holds together at all is beyond me, given how poorly it does on new machines.

But to give you an idea of why it's not so easy... goons had Space Jam reserved from the moment that ill conceived feature was go (and was shut down after about 2 days due to it loving up)

When launch happened the game didn't recognize the person who reserved it as the holder. Filed a ticket, response was "Um... make a guild with a placeholder name, wait for the reservation to expire in a month, and we'll change it."

A month passes, ticket is filed to get the name. "Um... You're gonna need to just make a new guild with the desired name."

You'd think renaming a guild would be the most basic thing. Just act like it's something offensive and boom, but no.

Or maybe the GMs at the time had no idea how the buttons worked. Hell, maybe their interface was as bad as the standard user one. Or worse.

And that's WildStar!

Sidenote: every time I even think about trying this again, petitioning customer support to get my defunct security key removed gets me run round in circles with C&P responses until I give up. For once I'm thankful for lovely CS.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mayor McCheese posted:

This is even better when you consider that WS had a duping problem that crushed its economy and the devs refused to roll back the servers.

They COULD NOT rollback the servers. They lacked the ability to rollback the servers.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Did they ever actually state that? Because that would be very, very weird. To not have backups would be well beyond even the level of incompetence Carbine's management displayed. For MMOs and similar games rolling back is just not something that is done in response to a dupe bug, even if it is bad enough to mess up the game's economy. The same thing happened with D3 and Blizzard just left it to straighten itself out with time too. A roll back is a very, very big deal that will cause way more upset customers than a jacked up economy will.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

CoffeeBooze posted:

Did they ever actually state that? Because that would be very, very weird. To not have backups would be well beyond even the level of incompetence Carbine's management displayed. For MMOs and similar games rolling back is just not something that is done in response to a dupe bug, even if it is bad enough to mess up the game's economy. The same thing happened with D3 and Blizzard just left it to straighten itself out with time too. A roll back is a very, very big deal that will cause way more upset customers than a jacked up economy will.

Really? Back when I played maplestory before it burned me so hard I became literally unable to enjoy any other MMO, I remember them doing rollbacks fairly liberally for major hacks or exploits. They'd just give out 2x exp coupons or something as compensation and everyone just kinda accepted it as A Thing That Happens.

Given, maplestory is kind of not a very good game, which might factor into that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Giving out xp and drop boosts after a rollback ensures that one guy who got a rare drop gets drowned out in "cool guy MMO company giving us goodies after they screwed up despite not being obligated to, look at how cool they are"

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

What's more, they turned the "lifetime bans" for people caught exploiting the bug into temporary bans, probably because so many people did it. They also only confiscated the currency they made off it, not any items bought using duped currency.

There was seriously a "you better fess up and your punishment will be less severe" post about it, which strikes me as meaning they didn't have the capability to investigate it like any other MMO would.

So if they couldn't even reliably trace the duped stuff, a rollback sounds even more unlikely.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anoia posted:

Sidenote: every time I even think about trying this again, petitioning customer support to get my defunct security key removed gets me run round in circles with C&P responses until I give up. For once I'm thankful for lovely CS.

Best to just leave it, but there's a button that does it once it verifies e-mail.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Rhymenoserous posted:

Best to just leave it, but there's a button that does it once it verifies e-mail.

They actually made it easier? That's something, I guess.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Man, i just wanted to play the game with the cute bunny girls and the steam version is boned.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
There's plenty of games like that on Steam and no matter how much I'm trying to filter them out they keep showing up "because they're popular".

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Schubalts posted:

They COULD NOT rollback the servers. They lacked the ability to rollback the servers.

Hahaha, oh lord. I didn't know this. Wow.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Really as much as I hate to be "That guy" rolling back would have just killed it faster. The duping bug hosed up the economy to a degree, but it was already horribly dicked up by people who figured out architect's money making buttons.

And once they fixed architect, we turned our eyes on the fact that buy orders could dip below vendor buy prices, so we started mas buying iron only to turn around and sell it to NPC vendors for 10% profit. It doesn't sound like much till you realize I'm doing this in "Full inventories of stacks" scales.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

There was the architect exploit and then there was duping elder gems for free top of the line endgame gear. This was on top of the myriad hilarious crashing bugs, memory leaks from the modules of the base UI, guild leaders having their attunement reset and CS not being able to fix it without making a new character, and "you ran down a hill too fast so you died" bugs. And this is just what I remember. I never made it to level cap, so I'm sure there's more entertaining stuff other people could share.

A rollback might have been good or bad, although I'd argue letting it slip that you can't roll back is the worst choice you could possibly make during all this. It doesn't really matter, though, because regardless of how much anyone liked Wildstar's aesthetic or the idea of hard dungeon and raid content, it was bad design decisions and horrible bugs all the way down. We make fun of a lot of games for being dumpster fires, but launch Wildstar was a raging inferno to no man's sky's cheery fireplace.

Although I can't think of any point where Carbine actually lied flat out about something. We all knew precisely what we were getting into right from the get go.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've basically quit playing MMOs at this point, but if I ever start again (may god have mercy on my soul) I just know I'm gonna be disappointed at the inevitable lack of UI customization compared to WoW. It's still one of the few things that it didn't just deserve credit for way back when it launched, but where it's still ahead of basically everyone else to this day. And frankly, the development of games and tech in general does not feel like it's becoming MORE mod-friendly at all. gently caress, I still remember the gloriously short lifespan of the Bejeweled mod. Granted letting players just port a whole 'nother game into your MMO was never gonna be something anyone could allow - hence its short-lived status - but just the fact that at one point you could do that really impressed me at the time. But leaving the fancy/cool stuff aside, just being able to change the appearance, size and location of any UI element is something I'm sad didn't become an industry standard, even if I understand why it didn't as well (it couldn't have been a feasible goal for every aspiring WoW-killer after all).

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Valatar posted:

Complete agreement. If you have the logs to prove it - and for an in-game transaction from an NPC vendor, you do - then give 'em back their filthy luchre.

World of Warcraft now has vendor buyback like this. No ticket needed. I bought the wrong item? No problem; just sell it right back to that same vendor. The really cool thing is it even works on the various funbux currencies WoW implements. You'll always get the exact same currency and same amount refunded. It's a very simple and very good fix that should be standard.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Some MMOs have that and even let you buy back items you sell to NPCs, in case you sold your megasword.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

I've basically quit playing MMOs at this point, but if I ever start again (may god have mercy on my soul) I just know I'm gonna be disappointed at the inevitable lack of UI customization compared to WoW. It's still one of the few things that it didn't just deserve credit for way back when it launched, but where it's still ahead of basically everyone else to this day. And frankly, the development of games and tech in general does not feel like it's becoming MORE mod-friendly at all. gently caress, I still remember the gloriously short lifespan of the Bejeweled mod. Granted letting players just port a whole 'nother game into your MMO was never gonna be something anyone could allow - hence its short-lived status - but just the fact that at one point you could do that really impressed me at the time. But leaving the fancy/cool stuff aside, just being able to change the appearance, size and location of any UI element is something I'm sad didn't become an industry standard, even if I understand why it didn't as well (it couldn't have been a feasible goal for every aspiring WoW-killer after all).

Wildstar actually did this :v:

Basically wildstar allowed LUA addons which is exactly the same as WoW, so if you wanted to rip out the UI wholesale you could. And I did. By the time I quit my UI was 100% indistinguishable from my WoW UI, even the raid frames looked identical.

I even had a quest frame thing that instead of dumping ALL of the quest info on my screen just took me on a straight path to the next closest.

Still couldn't save the game.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 20, 2016

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Thursday Next posted:

Complete agreement. If you have the logs to prove it - and for an in-game transaction from an NPC vendor, you do - then give 'em back their filthy luchre.

World of Warcraft now has vendor buyback like this. No ticket needed. I bought the wrong item? No problem; just sell it right back to that same vendor. The really cool thing is it even works on the various funbux currencies WoW implements. You'll always get the exact same currency and same amount refunded. It's a very simple and very good fix that should be standard.

World of Warcraft has the extended buyback feature in-game for a while, but don't forget their more intense restoration service for these mistakes. They have special webpage where you can specifically ask to retrieve valuable items you deleted or vendored. You don't even need to remember the items because it will kindly list the candidates for you! No need to file a ticket with a human GM, just use the automated service. Between these two refund/restoration mechanisms, it solves the vast majority of these kind of issues. But they had that set up back in, what, 2012?

The fact that Wildstar, a 2014 release, can't do either kind of service for its subscribers shows that the developers had little foresight, the game's coding is too poorly made to handle it, or both.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

Wildstar actually did this :v:

Basically wildstar allowed LUA addons which is exactly the same as WoW, so if you wanted to rip out the UI wholesale you could. And I did. By the time I quit my UI was 100% indistinguishable from my WoW UI, even the raid frames looked identical.

I even had a quest frame thing that instead of dumping ALL of the quest info on my screen just took me on a straight path to the next closest.

Still couldn't save the game.

Good point, let me rephrase:

UI customization that's actually supported by a mod community and doesn't rely on you doing it yourself because only 10k people are playing the game.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

UI customization that's actually supported by a mod community and doesn't rely on you doing it yourself because only 10k people are playing the game.

Now that's spot on.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
People are complaining on the reddit that the daily log in rewards suck after 300+ days.

I stopped after id say a month of that implemented so kudos to them

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

If the game is good then a mod scene will develop. poo poo, Wildstar had pretty decent mods coming out until it became clear that the mythical "launch patch" wasn't going to fix the myriad of technical problems with the game and started jumping ship.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

noELrunes posted:

People are complaining on the reddit that the daily log in rewards suck after 300+ days.

I stopped after id say a month of that implemented so kudos to them

If I remember right the daily permanently ran out of unique items once you got the space pig mount, whatever day that was. I kept logging in long enough to see the drat thing, then the calendar after that was just a wasteland of generic consumables and small bags of currency and poo poo.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

Warhammer died for the same reason a lot of big MMOs die.

I was sad for warhams. It was obviously undercooked and ran like rear end but the PVP was genuinely fun and rewarding. Not an afterthought like WoW's.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Warham MMO had a lot of great ideas and concepts but most of the execution was amateur from top to bottom so RIP.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wildstar is inexplicably still getting content updates
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/283173/NEWS_WildStar_to_get_content_update_in_November.php

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Cross faction raids and dungeons isn't bad actually. I'd they get rid of the huge amount of work it takes to hear up at Max level, it could be a halfway decent f2p mmo

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That headline made me laugh for whatever reason

"Wildstar to get content update" just, by itself being a newsworthy thing

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I'd kill for cross faction PvE in WoW.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
It'd be cool, but at the same time WoW doesn't need it cause both factions there have enough players alone to keep things moving.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Elblanco posted:

Cross faction raids and dungeons isn't bad actually. I'd they get rid of the huge amount of work it takes to hear up at Max level, it could be a halfway decent f2p mmo

Gearing up takes no time at all. It's the cash investment in rerolling runes and unlocking all your ability/amps that sucks.

But we got people mostly raid ready in about two days from fresh 50.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

General Maximus posted:

It'd be cool, but at the same time WoW doesn't need it cause both factions there have enough players alone to keep things moving.

Eh, being on a server with a faction imbalance can suck.

The real reason that it won't go away is because faction transfers are more than likely a major revenue stream for Blizzard.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

MisterZimbu posted:

Eh, being on a server with a faction imbalance can suck.

The real reason that it won't go away is because faction transfers are more than likely a major revenue stream for Blizzard.

Fairly sure I recall them making it not free to discourage people from doing it and saying so before BC was released.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Fairly sure I recall them making it not free to discourage people from doing it and saying so before BC was released.

Yeah, but that was a lot of money and coke ago

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
hey is this game good? should I give a d/l and hop in?

just kidding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Pretty much the first rule of any microtransaction thing is to come up with a bullshit reason for the customer on why it's actually a *good* thing that you're charging for it that's not "we want more money".

• Locked thread