Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
memba this
This poll is closed.
goku 130 46.43%
goku 150 53.57%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So less conspiracy and more "hey we'll fund your poo poo if you do this" ?

Yeah, they let them use what ever money was left over to look for the Titanic. I remembered seeing a documentary on it a few years back, and thought it was kind of wild. Especially because they kept releasing statements about how they couldn't find it. Turned out they knew exactly were it was and it was actually the subs that were giving them a problem. Government wanted to keep it hush because it was the cold war and they weren't sure if the subs had been sunk by the Russians or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

oh ok nvm I didn't know they already knew where it was

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
James Cameron only made the movie Titanic so the studio would fund his hobby diving

And he made Terminator so they would fund his killer robot army

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
He made T2 on the condition that they give him and Schwarzenegger a blank cheque for their next project, which was True Lies. So T2 is an awesome film and responsible for another awesome film. Almost makes you want to forgive the other Terminator movies.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Howard Hughes was also commissioned to go look for a submarine (Soviet I think) under the cover of looking for "manganese nodules" which are a thing but I think they're nearly commercially valueless. A custom ship was built called the Glomar Explorer. I don't think they ever found the sub.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

two forty posted:

Howard Hughes was also commissioned to go look for a submarine (Soviet I think) under the cover of looking for "manganese nodules" which are a thing but I think they're nearly commercially valueless. A custom ship was built called the Glomar Explorer. I don't think they ever found the sub.

lookit this guy who doesn't know what happens when you rub a manganese nodule on your dick

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Government wanted to keep it hush because it was the cold war and they weren't sure if the subs had been sunk by the Russians or not.

You are absolutely wrong, at least in regards to the USS Thresher. We absolutely knew the cause of that submarine's loss, and the loss of that submarine started the US Navy's "Subsafe" program. The USS Thresher sank while conducting drills. They initiated a reactor scram, which was a standard drill action. While performing the recovery start up they initiated the emergency blow system. Due to the construction of the baffles and piping small pieces of ice accumulated in the lines, eventually leading to a blockage that prevented the pressurized air from expelling the ballast from the tanks. This caused the Thresher to lose forward and upward momentum. The Thresher slowly came to a stop, for a brief moment, before sliding backwards and down into the depths. Some time after going below crush depth the hull imploded, killing all crew members on board. As the tender ship was in communication with the Thresher, and it was a commissioning activity, we are sure about what happened. This disaster also introduced what is known as a "Fast Recovery Start-up" procedure, which can bring the reactor back to criticality with a matter of a few minutes, instead of the dozens a standard reactor start up requires.

The main purpose of the Dr. Ballard's mission was to locate the hulls and visually verify the integrity of the reactor containment vessels, with the secondary goal of discovering any other important details that may have been overlooked.

IncredibleIgloo has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Sep 19, 2016

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

two forty posted:

Oh, they found it alright. They salvaged 1/3rd of it but dropped the other 2/3rds they were actually interested in. Most expensive Claw Game ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3uzM24MWBY

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You are absolutely wrong, at least in regards to the USS Thresher. We absolutely knew the cause of that submarine's loss, and the loss of that submarine started the US Navy's "Subsafe" program. The USS Thresher sank while conducting drills. They initiated a reactor scram, which was a standard drill action. While performing the recovery start up they initiated the emergency blow system. Due to the construction of the baffles and piping small pieces of ice accumulated in the lines, eventually leading to a blockage that prevented the pressurized air from expelling the ballast from the tanks. This caused the Thresher to lose forward and upward momentum. The Thresher slowly came to a stop, for a brief moment, before sliding backwards and down into the depths. Some time after going below crush depth the hull imploded, killing all crew members on board. As the tender ship was in communication with the Thresher, and it was a commissioning activity, we are sure about what happened. This disaster also introduced what is known as a "Fast Recovery Start-up" procedure, which can bring the reactor back to criticality with a matter of a few minutes, instead of the dozens a standard reactor start up requires.

The main purpose of the Dr. Ballard's mission was to locate the hulls and visually verify the integrity of the reactor containment vessels, with the secondary goal of discovering any other important details that may have been overlooked.

I didn't know that about the Thresher. If I remember right the Scorpion was shadowing a Soviet fleet when it went down. They weren't sure exactly why it had sunk at the time and there was some concern that they'd been discovered and sunk. I think they're still not entirely confident in what happened and it's listed as "bad poo poo, probably an accident"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MisterOblivious posted:

Oh, they found it alright. They salvaged 1/3rd of it but dropped the other 2/3rds they were actually interested in. Most expensive Claw Game ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3uzM24MWBY

According to the official story anyhow.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
North Korea still has our ship the USS Pueblo, which they seized somehow in 1968.

Two interesting things: quoting directly from Wikipedia:

Bucher wrote the confession since a "confession" by definition needed to be written by the confessor himself. They verified the meaning of what he wrote, but failed to catch the pun when he said "We paean the DPRK [North Korea]. We paean their great leader Kim Il Sung".[20][21] (Bucher pronounced "paean" as "pee on.")[22]

Then there's a pretty famous picture of the men of the ship being forced to watch or listen to some North Korean indoctrination bullshit:

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

A few days ago a dead whale washed up on the beach in Oregon.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/09/humpback_whale_beached_on_oreg.html

It reminded me of a "thing that actually happened" when the last time a whale was found dead on the beach here. It stunk so bad no one wanted to take care of it, so they loaded it up with a half ton of dynamite and blew up. Hunks of dead, rotten whale meat rained down on the people watching, crushing cars and covering the entire beach with chum curds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVW8BferzQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_whale

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

You'd think they could try towing that poo poo back out to sea and sinking it there instead.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Sunswipe posted:

Almost makes you want to forgive the other Terminator movies.

Lol if you watched anything terminator past t2

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
No Fate motherfucker.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Volcott posted:

No Fate motherfucker.

Picture Nate Diaz saying this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Neurion posted:

You'd think they could try towing that poo poo back out to sea and sinking it there instead.

thats no fun

edit: this is a film someone made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgRu9BnEof0

Jose has a new favorite as of 10:31 on Sep 19, 2016

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Jose posted:

thats no fun

edit: this is a film someone made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgRu9BnEof0

No, no, no. Not someone. this man made that movie

Aaah yes nuke :denmark:

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
Rip Torn attacks Norman Taylor with a claw hammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AzmhorISf4

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
Norman Mailer I meant

doodlebugs has a new favorite as of 12:24 on Sep 19, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Neurion posted:

The problem is that whales are incredibly waterproof. They, of course, need to be to dive to such huge depths. But it also means that, even in death, they tend to stay all sealed up. Having their mass collapse on itself on land certainly doesn't help either.

This mean that all the myriad nasty gases and fluids of decomposition build up inside the whale like a balloon made from meat and nightmares.

Especially if the pressure becomes too much and they explode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU0F9GYzhO8

But it also makes them very buoyant and likely to float back to shore. Now, why they don't tow them out and then explode them? Because now you have floaty, stinky bits of various sizes scattered all over the ocean stinking up the place and making the NIMBYs sad.

This leaves cutting them up on shore into manageable bits and then towing them out to sink.

However, you can do some really cool science on the bodies, but this post is long enough already.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 12:35 on Sep 19, 2016

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

I actually saw one of these on the road last week

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
there was the time someone deployed chlorine gas at a furry convention

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Northumbria_Police_manhunt#AOL_parody_error

In 2010 a deranged man murdered his ex-girlfriend's partner and almost killed her. He then went on to shoot a police officer who was permanently blinded by it and later hanged himself. During the standoff that ensued with the police a week later when they cornered him, former British football star and present day washed up trainwreck Paul Gascoigne publicly defended Raoul Moat as a "nice guy" on the radio, then showed up to the scene of the standoff in his dressing gown, pleading with Moat to stand down in exchange for lager and chicken.

If that was weird enough, there was significant media hysteria over the largest manhunt in British history and it led AOL's automated news scraper to publish the following 'news' story by accidentally confusing satire for news:

an actual thing AOL reported posted:

As officers and dogs move in, citizens from around the isle are anticipating a swift and gruesome conclusion to the national drama. Some are even clamouring for it, calling it the best live entertainment they’ve seen in some time ... Families have been collecting children from schools and nurseries throughout the day so they could watch together, as expectations reached fever pitch that a violent firearms confrontation was imminent. Over 800 schools have closed across the country as a result

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

That same police force deployed their armed response unit and a helicopter to shoot a cow that had left its field and was on a major road

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...e-10258039.html

quote:

A cow has been shot dead by police after it escaped from a field near Newcastle during a three-hour operation involving armed units and a helicopter.

It was one of three cows that escaped from a field near the Rising Sun Country Park in Wallsend on Sunday afternoon.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jose posted:

That same police force deployed their armed response unit and a helicopter to shoot a cow that had left its field and was on a major road

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...e-10258039.html

lmao

they are the brit equivalent of pew pew guy

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
they dont get to use those guns often man

let them have fun

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

surprised this isn't a jeep renegade

yeah, thats what theyre calling jeeps now. no question their demographic now

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
I thought the cops in the UK didn't carry guns. :confused:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they don't. they have trained units to respond when guns are necessary. Such as a cow being on a road

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jose posted:

they don't. they have trained units to respond when guns are necessary. Such as a cow being on a road

#CowLivesMatter

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

End Of Worlds posted:

there was the time someone deployed chlorine gas at a furry convention

To clarify a bit, it was a bunch of spilled granular chlorine in the stairwell.
Pool Chlorine.

Never did hear if they figured it was intentional, or if some worker spilled some on the way to the pool and forgot to sweep it up.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I mean, yeah, if people are going to throw a poo poo fit over toxic "gas" released at a nerd convention, then get all overexcited about the amount of methane being farted out in those halls.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Webb

Gary webb wrote a series of articles about the CIA and crack and then committed suicide by shooting himself in the head twice

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jose posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Webb

Gary webb wrote a series of articles about the CIA and crack and then committed suicide by shooting himself in the head twice

Bit like how mob witnesses commit suicide by stabbing themselves in the back four times and then throwing themselves off a bridge?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
suicide by zipping themselves up in a duffle bag

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

proof of concept posted:

for anyone who doesn't get what's up with that photoshop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzkWTcDZFH0
http://11foot8.com/

thank you for posting this. i had never seen this before and found it loving hilarious

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

nigga crab pollock posted:

suicide by zipping themselves up in a duffle bag

Who was the MI5 guy that happened to a couple years back?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Theophany posted:

Gareth Williams. Unsolved IIRC, though I think the Met claimed it was a 'bondage accident'. Shouldn't be too hard to google up whatever info is available if you're inclined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Theophany posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Gareth_Williams

Wikipedia posted:

The inquest found that his death was "unnatural and likely to have been criminally mediated." A subsequent Metropolitan Police re-investigation[2] concluded that Williams's death was "probably an accident."[3]

He's dead in a duffel bag that's zipped up... it's probably an accident.

Edit: beaten while phone posting but I provided a link :shobon:

• Locked thread