Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Late night diamond fail stream

https://www.twitch.tv/rbxbot

Any image quality feedback is appreciated

RBX fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Finish my S2 placements and play a few solos and end up 2700, which I was happy with. Then spend the weekend doing 3-4 stacks with close friends and end on 2300, why are the people I know so bad at videogames :(

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Finish my S2 placements and play a few solos and end up 2700, which I was happy with. Then spend the weekend doing 3-4 stacks with close friends and end on 2300, why are the people I know so bad at videogames :(

I played with my friend's girlfriend. She refused to not play symmetra and we lost every game. Just because we need a support doesn't mean to pick her. Let me be mercy instead!

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Last season I won 8/10 of my placement games.

This season I won 3.

So either I got super lucky last time and I actually suck or all my teammates were idiots this time. I know which one I'd like to believe.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RC Cola posted:

I played with my friend's girlfriend. She refused to not play symmetra and we lost every game. Just because we need a support doesn't mean to pick her. Let me be mercy instead!

There is absolutely no problem with having two supports - in fact, with Symmetra, Zen, and Ana it's pretty much mandatory.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I definitely feel like the placement matches tend to place people too high and that leads to a lot of soul-crushing loss streaks right out the gate.

Every one of my friends ended up dropping 200 or so points from where they started.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Gimnbo posted:

I definitely feel like the placement matches tend to place people too high and that leads to a lot of soul-crushing loss streaks right out the gate.

Or be underrated and have to claw up back to your natural rank for two seasons in a row.

Arguably this season is worse because there's Hanjos and Torbs in Platinum that are loving up the MMR system.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
After spending most of my time since launch with Pharah, Roadhog, and lately Mei, I started playing Reaper this weekend and he's a blast! Any tips on how to use his ultimate? I do not have that down yet, I feel like I deal far less damage than I take from enemy Reapers using their ultimate.

Should I just not use it unless my team is popping another ultimate so I don't get focused down instantly?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

After spending most of my time since launch with Pharah, Roadhog, and lately Mei, I started playing Reaper this weekend and he's a blast! Any tips on how to use his ultimate? I do not have that down yet, I feel like I deal far less damage than I take from enemy Reapers using their ultimate.

Should I just not use it unless my team is popping another ultimate so I don't get focused down instantly?

Step 1: Teleport to a spot above the enemy team.
Step 2: Wait for them to bunch up, drop down and activate the ult as you're falling.
Step 3: Enjoy play of the game

Ideally you want them engaged with the enemy when you drop.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Tiler Kiwi posted:

tbh unless there's actual data somewhere out there showing widowmaker dragging down teams, im not actually inclined to buy into it at all.

i think blizzards DEATH TO PLAYER METRICS approach to things is counterproductive for reasons like this, since people are just going to be awful shits about things regardless except now everyone gets to pretend its not their fault. i think snipers wind up as good scapegoats/punching bags since they have such a high skill ceiling its really easy to measure a decent sniper against a perhaps unfair standard for a "good" sniper and judge them as worthless poo poo for not murdering everything in view constantly, in contrast to other players who just tend to die more anonymously when they're loving awful.

Snipers kinda have to be built around. Too many snipers or snipers in the wrong comp mean that there won't be a front line. If the snipers are constantly one shotting people then that makes up for it and it's fine, but if they aren't then ehhhhhh.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Main Paineframe posted:

There is absolutely no problem with having two supports - in fact, with Symmetra, Zen, and Ana it's pretty much mandatory.

Oh sorry I meant we had a zen already and I wanted her to be a less bad support. Or anyone else. She's a much better mercy. She does that cluster turret thing and doesn't take advice well. She is one of those people who dies and starts talking about how it's someone else's fault she tried to 1v1 the reaper

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm waiting on new skins, emotes, and intros. I'm surprised they haven't been just regularly rolling them out. It can't be that hard. The fans have had many good ideas on their own.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Gimnbo posted:

Every one of my friends ended up dropping 200 or so points from where they started.

I got placed at 2215 then had a massive losing streak, cratering down to 1350s and finally been slowly clawing up again, currently in the 1700s now but starting to lose more frequently so I think 1700s are closer to my skill zone.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Wildtortilla posted:

As a tips from someone that pretty much only play support (and thus someone that often is the goal of enemy reapers), try to fake or hide that you are trying to ult, either by teleporting to a sneaky place or flank. I've seen, and killed, too many reapers that suddenly play completely different because they now have their ult and try to find a good spot to pop it, often by hanging around their front line and then moving in or just running on top of the payload/point. It's just so loving obvious what they are trying to do.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I have not had a single afk since I got a mic and started using it in this game. Can't be a coincidence.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I can feel my myself improving but I know I'm still not that much better than the people I'm playing against. Definitely think match making has me at where I belong. I'm having difficulty using Zarya's ult effectively when my team refuses to coordinate their ults with mine. I make sure to have high charge pop the ult and I usually snag at least three people. I'm not sure if I should laser them to death or grenade.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Laser, it has higher DPS and will tear through people faster then grenades even with AOE damage.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Kenshin posted:

111 points to go until I'm Diamond ranked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FsHBfROELQ

Playing with you last night was probably the most fun I've had playing competitive in a while. We were killing it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Last night I was solo ranking and got put on a team with a three man pre-made who were not reading text chat or listening to voice chat outside their clique. They spam picked Genji, Hanzo, and someone else. Me and the two other guys not part of the group tried to form a team around them but it wasn't working and they were obviously not paying attention to our suggestions to change the comp. We agreed it was a post cause and resigned to losing so we each picked heroes to goof around with. As soon as they saw us not taking things seriously they adjusted their comp to try to salvage the matchup. Then we switched back to heroes to complete a good team comp and ended up winning. I'm glad we won but gently caress them for existing in their own private world.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Wildtortilla posted:

Last night I was solo ranking and got put on a team with a three man pre-made who were not reading text chat or listening to voice chat outside their clique. They spam picked Genji, Hanzo, and someone else. Me and the two other guys not part of the group tried to form a team around them but it wasn't working and they were obviously not paying attention to our suggestions to change the comp. We agreed it was a post cause and resigned to losing so we each picked heroes to goof around with. As soon as they saw us not taking things seriously they adjusted their comp to try to salvage the matchup. Then we switched back to heroes to complete a good team comp and ended up winning. I'm glad we won but gently caress them for existing in their own private world.

Sometimes groups forget to swap to team chat. I don't understand why Blizzard decided that everyone has to opt in to team chat if they are in < 6 sized groups.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

poemdexter posted:

Sometimes groups forget to swap to team chat. I don't understand why Blizzard decided that everyone has to opt in to team chat if they are in < 6 sized groups.

You can change it so it defaults to team chat, but then that's annoying because you have to manually change to group chat between rounds if you want to talk while you queue

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

poemdexter posted:

They said it was really jarring for people to be dropped into a separate channel mid chat.

For competitive, I frankly think there's no excuse that justifies it though.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I placed in 1900s and have climbed quickly to 2500 without wavering.

I also lost 8 straight on placements

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I placed 2200 and it has not been great since. Playing on Saturdays seems to be a grave mistake

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I placed in 1900s and have climbed quickly to 2500 without wavering.

I also lost 8 straight on placements

i call bullshit on both of those statements

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I tend to have pretty good luck with teammates on weekday afternoons.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Efexeye posted:

i call bullshit on both of those statements

I won my first placement. Lost the next 8. Won my last placement. I've now been climbing.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

well that sure does make sense, to lose 8 of 10 placements and get put at 1900

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I've found that after midnight EST gives me bad games that I lose. Not sure if it's because I'm tired or because of my team but there seems to be a real correlation. Maybe I will start keeping track of W/L vs time of day.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Dren posted:

I've found that after midnight EST gives me bad games that I lose. Not sure if it's because I'm tired or because of my team but there seems to be a real correlation. Maybe I will start keeping track of W/L vs time of day.

sunday afternoons PST are the absolute drizzling shits

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Weekdays before 3pm EST are the best because all the idiot kids are still in school.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Gimnbo posted:

Yeah, I figured I'd be placed low because I'm super casual, but what I assumed was bronze was actually gold. I've since climbed into plat. I only won like four of my placement games; I don't know how this happened.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i went 6-3-1 in placements and got seeded at 1796

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I went 6-3-1 and got seeded 2465

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I won my first placement. Lost the next 8. Won my last placement. I've now been climbing.

Are you solo?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

JackDarko posted:

Are you solo?

95% of the time

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Your placement depends on your S1 rank quite a lot, unless you go like 9-1 or so.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

poemdexter posted:

Playing with you last night was probably the most fun I've had playing competitive in a while. We were killing it.
Thanks! That was a really great set of games. We went what, 5-0 yesterday evening?

It's always good when the whole team meshes well and there's good communication.

EDIT: holy crap I just checked my session stats from yesterday and I went 9-0 in competitive. :stare:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 19, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hate playing offense/defense chars but I feel like I just win more games taking them away from other players on my team :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kashuno posted:

I hate playing offense/defense chars but I feel like I just win more games taking them away from other players on my team :smith:
I'm having trouble at this point getting away from D.Va, because I'm not yet able to pump out damage with other tanks at anywhere near the same rate.

I'm up to 2500 now, so the DPS players aren't terrible anymore, but I'm still averaging 3-4 golds per game with D.Va. if I switch to Zarya or Rein I'm mainly getting bronzes and silvers, and just don't have enough oomph to carry the match.

I guess the solution is to just practice the other tanks like crazy in quick play.