Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

i know everyone's been waiting on my iPhone 7 review, but i couldn't rush it:

it'd good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

i could not give a fart about the headphone jack

the home button is a little weird but touch id so fast i don't care

the naked phone still feels like a greased ferret trying to jump out of your hand, gotta get a case for it

the last phone i submerged was a nokia flip in high school, so i doubt the waterproofness will matter?

battery life: Very Good!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

AWWNAW posted:

i could not give a fart about the headphone jack

the home button is a little weird but touch id so fast i don't care

the naked phone still feels like a greased ferret trying to jump out of your hand, gotta get a case for it

the last phone i submerged was a nokia flip in high school, so i doubt the waterproofness will matter?

battery life: Very Good!

How obese are you? This is important.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

Smartphone prices are super reasonable when you think about how important to daily life they are.

mishaq posted:

i love when people that i talk to cant fathom breaking out of their contracts to buy a phone at a fully unsubsidized price + go prepaid to save money long term

*has another $50 brunch*

yeah saaaaame

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

and that $50 brunch better be lotsa drinks or a party of 4, lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

The Management posted:

how did you transfer the factory calibration data for the camera and display from one to the other?

There's no need.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Tried this out with my iPhone 7, using the Lightning->3.5mm adapter with old EarPods to listen to a podcast and it played fine.

v:shobon:v

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Doc Block posted:

Tried this out with my iPhone 7, using the Lightning->3.5mm adapter with old EarPods to listen to a podcast and it played fine.

v:shobon:v

Scott o'reilly spreading FUD

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

atomicthumbs posted:

There's no need.

so your camera is applying the distortion correction that's calibrated to your previous camera module every time you take a picture?
your display is using gamma correction calibrated for your previous display?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

eric posted:

Scott o'reilly spreading FUD

reading through the replies to that tweet, he replied to himself saying that by "inactivity" he meant not playing audio.

so if you pause music/podcast playback for 5+ minutes, you won't be able to resume by clicking the little button on the headphones if they're the lightning headphones or plugged in via the lightning->3.5mm adapter until you unplug then plug them back in. annoying, but not a big deal and probably just an oversight by apple.

it doesn't mean that audio cuts out or anything like that.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

sounds like something that could be fixed in software too, probably an oversight.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Management posted:

so your camera is applying the distortion correction that's calibrated to your previous camera module every time you take a picture?
your display is using gamma correction calibrated for your previous display?

The camera modules and displays for Nexus 4 mobile phones are identical phone-to-phone, for all intents and purposes. What poo poo-rear end phone are you using that has to have the camera calibrated? I mean, I can see apple maybe calibrating the displays individually for iPad Pros or something, but usually that's not something that needs to be done.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

atomicthumbs posted:

and a silicone case is the foreskin

Doc Block posted:

posting this from my black iPhone 7 128GB

literally as effective as my 5s

Citizen Tayne posted:

iOS 10 "Candy Corn"

lol

Sudo Echo posted:

current7 status: 70% battery after using it all day. gr8 phone thanks tim. debating getting a case for it, but it's so nice to hold naked.

pleased your brand new phone has good battery

if people just bought the exact same phone new year after year they'd say the same "it's
so fast now and the battery is so smooth"

Citizen Tayne posted:

Cold weather is wonderful. I feel bad for people who don't get to enjoy it.

the cold bites: it's spring now, days getting longer and nights warming up./ it's
fuckin perfect

LmaoTheKid posted:

you need the m8 coprocessor which the 6 doesn't have.

mate

mishaq posted:

the se is also the greatest phone ever made

is the se the same as my phone only better but not worse in any way

The Management posted:

how did you transfer the factory calibration data for the camera and display from one to the other?

lol

anyway so the home button.. is it the same with vibration or is it no longer a depressable
button but just vibes to fake being one

i need to know

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my
5s is ideal: it
could be better i guess but if the se is exactly the same
only better than drat i want one. if it's the same but worse like is bigger or something stupid i don't wqjtnon[

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

echinopsis posted:

is the se the same as my phone only better but not worse in any way

yes

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

zen death robot posted:

to me the main thing about apple is still the fact that if I'm a clumsy idiot and bust my screen there are usually multiple Apple stores to get my phone fixed properly for a reasonable price anywhere within a few hours
i was super smug about never having broken my phone screen or even not having any significant marks on the glass despite keeping it in the same pocket as my keys.
then about 2 weeks ago i dropped my phone on my way to work, shattered the top left corner of the screen. got the screen replaced on the same day. two days later i drop the phone again and the glass goes neatly in two with a horizontal break in the lower third of the screen.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

my
only better than drat i want one. if it's the same but worse like is bigger or something stupid i don't wqjtnon[

the iphone SE is the same outside as the iphone 5S, but with the iPhone 6S internals.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

The camera modules and displays for Nexus 4 mobile phones are identical phone-to-phone, for all intents and purposes. What poo poo-rear end phone are you using that has to have the camera calibrated? I mean, I can see apple maybe calibrating the displays individually for iPad Pros or something, but usually that's not something that needs to be done.

screens, backlights, camera lenses, and camera sensors can all vary slightly from unit to unit. they are almost certainly individually calibrated on non-poo poo phones (meaning the iPhone 7).

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok describe me this : battery is dead and phone completely
off
and dead

does
home button feel different or same

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Doc Block posted:

screens, backlights, camera lenses, and camera sensors can all vary slightly from unit to unit. they are almost certainly individually calibrated on non-poo poo phones (meaning the iPhone 7).

i don't buy it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

even the cheapest camera modules are going to have defect pixel correction tables and the like

usually the table is on module itself though

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

atomicthumbs posted:

i don't buy it

almost all components that have mechanical parts need some calibration. it is much cheaper to correct lens distortion in software than to manufacture perfect lenses. bad pixels are
corrected in software, increasing CCD yields. display backlights variations, pixel response, driver strength variations, all require device-specific correction. accelerometers have correction matrices and magnetometers need to be oriented.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

The Management posted:

almost all components that have mechanical parts need some calibration. it is much cheaper to correct lens distortion in software than to manufacture perfect lenses. bad pixels are
corrected in software, increasing CCD yields. display backlights variations, pixel response, driver strength variations, all require device-specific correction. accelerometers have correction matrices and magnetometers need to be oriented.

*farts*

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

echinopsis posted:

ok describe me this : battery is dead and phone completely
off
and dead

does
home button feel different or same

it doesn't do anything, just tried that. totally solid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

The Management posted:

i'd imagine stuff like that is all in the camera board EEPROM, not in the phone's memory

otherwise you would have to do some kind of recalibration routine anytime you wiped the phone

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

i'd imagine stuff like that is all in the camera board EEPROM, not in the phone's memory

otherwise you would have to do some kind of recalibration routine anytime you wiped the phone

you're not thinking fourth dimensionally, marty

1) having storage in the camera module itself costs money. using the mass storage on the phone is free. embedded is all about shaving pennies off the bill of materials

2) the mass storage has special zones that are outside the normal area that is used by the OS as a block device, and cannot be wiped out by a normal restore process. these store the NAND block map and other storage-specific data, but also stuff like the device serial number, possibly the boot loader and encryption keys, and factory calibration settings.

3) there is no recalibration routine you can do at home. this requires a factory fixture to perform.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

my
only thing that might be considered worse is that it doesn't have polished chamfered edges (they're matte) but lol if you care about that.

Wheany posted:

i was super smug about never having broken my phone screen or even not having any significant marks on the glass despite keeping it in the same pocket as my keys.
then about 2 weeks ago i dropped my phone on my way to work, shattered the top left corner of the screen. got the screen replaced on the same day. two days later i drop the phone again and the glass goes neatly in two with a horizontal break in the lower third of the screen.
a straight horizontal crack is considered a manufacturing defect and they should replace it free under warranty.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

1) having storage in the camera module itself costs money. using the mass storage on the phone is free. embedded is all about shaving pennies off the bill of materials

2) the mass storage has special zones that are outside the normal area that is used by the OS as a block device, and cannot be wiped out by a normal restore process. these store the NAND block map and other storage-specific data, but also stuff like the device serial number, possibly the boot loader and encryption keys, and factory calibration settings.

3) there is no recalibration routine you can do at home. this requires a factory fixture to perform.

i'd agree if even the cheapest shittiest vga sensor off digikey didn't have luts

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The Management posted:

I work in mobile image processor design and his is a correct post. Your phone probably has some data that is stored in non-voltatile memory that is not visible to the OS and is only accessible by hardware (like by the camera itself).

That said, there are algorithmic ways to do dead pixel correction (threshold based dead pixel correction which picks out pixels that vary too much from surrounding pixels vs table based dead pixel correction which uses a look up table of dead pixels for the specific sensor) that may let you detect dead pixels on the fly and not require you to actually store the location of dead pixels in your sensor, but every smartphone will have a few dead pixels in the camera sensor that are replaced by software. There are also lens imperfections that and other hardware differences that vary from phone to phone and various ways of compensating for those differences so whether or not this is actually something you have to update can vary from one model of phone to another.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 19, 2016

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

considering buying an iphone 7 on credit just so i can return it and cash in on the Sapphire Home Button Class Action..

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

i'd agree if even the cheapest shittiest vga sensor off digikey didn't have luts

yeah but apple isn't buying from digikey, they're getting a custom component. you're already paying to get a new line set up so anything you remove is coming off the BoM

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lmfao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogs_g9BlGQc

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Wheany posted:

pretty much the same with my 5

got a friend to replace the screen, but the case was slightly warped and it didn't fit in perfectly, presumably this extra mechanical stress made it crack super quickly

welp

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
the first time it cracked i somehow got beer in it and then there were some hella rad specks of white light moving up and down the display for a bit

but a big black blob in the centre so that was pretty useless

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

pay an extra third of a cent for inductors with better potting compound? absolutely not. more margin for the margin god

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

my

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Citizen Tayne posted:

I have never broken a phone screen and have no idea what people are going the gently caress on about. I have owned smartphones since the Sprint Mogul in 2006.

its real easy just be a drunk

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

DuckConference posted:

pay an extra third of a cent for inductors with better potting compound? absolutely not. more margin for the margin god

my first thought was actually lack of venting caused by a sealed enclosure, high load means more heat, etc

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Management posted:

The Management posted:

i think you may be assuming a level of care in a mass-produced device that is simply not present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

DisplayMate Technologies has declared iPhone 7has the "best LCD display" it has ever tested, calling it "truly impressive" and a "major upgrade" over the iPhone 6 based on a series of advanced viewing tests and measurements.

iPhone 7 achieved the highest color accuracy, peak brightness, and contrast rating in bright light of any smartphone display, the highest contrast ratio of any IPS LCD display, and the lowest screen reflectance of any smartphone display.

"the most color accurate display" that it has ever measured, adding that the smartphone's display is "very likely considerably better than any mobile display, monitor, TV, or UHD TV" that consumers have.

• Locked thread