Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

The Merkinman posted:

Hello good sir/madam, I would like your goods/service. Oh? That's the fee? No thank you. I'll just take it for free anyway since I'm entitled to it because reasons.

"Just think of the EXPOSURE you'll get. That's better than money"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Guy Mann posted:

Firefox on Android still supports add-ons, including ad blockers.

Noted. Thanks.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

PhotoKirk posted:

"Just think of the EXPOSURE you'll get. That's better than money"

Frustrated, talentless, unpublished artists/writers/etc reblogging and retweeting the admonitions of their more successful role models to NOT 👏 WORK 👏 FOR 👏 EXPOSURE 👏 is also a pretty entertaining pattern of wish-fulfillment and halo-sharing, once you pick up on it

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Seriously, there's a ~20 site whitelist for my adblocker, but the ad counter for YouTube is obnoxious. On a 10-15 minute video, the counter will read +80 ads blocked, that's completely unacceptable no matter what video is playing. YouTube has decided to de-monetize videos that might be objectionable to advertisers, so I think it's only fair to block ads that I find objectionable. I used to hang out on The Escapist, and I had my adblocker whitelist all of their stuff until they decided to gently caress over the Extra Credits crew, and then I never sat through another unskippable, 30 second ad that was also in a pop out player with an ad based border, on a page completely covered in ads.

Even worse, you'll occaisionally hit sites that have ~30 ads a page, 5 tracking scripts, and a couple of pieces straight up malware waiting for every visitor. Those clickbait sites that always show up on Facebook are especially egregious. Whatever moral or ethical issues you might have over compensation for services, that poo poo is so much more damaging to the web than using an adblocker.

I completely understand that the sites don't have absolute control over the ads that play, but good ones like Terminal Lance, will take user feedback and talk to their ad providers about what plays on their site so that the ads aren't obtrusive or exploitative.
I still have that ad that would randomly screech, "Congratulations, you have been randomly selected to receive a free iPod Nano!" permanently burned into my brain...

E: and gently caress every site that redirects me to the app store every time I try to load the page, and won't allow me to even reach the page I'm trying to visit. gently caress those sites forever

The Door Frame has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Sep 17, 2016

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Someone I know got very excited about his Man Crate. It's packaged in a literal crate and comes with a mini crowbar to open it with. He really had fun playing at being a man with that and getting a bunch of snacks and tchotchkies out of it. I told my bf about it and he had a good laugh. He works construction and all day he was prying apart van-sized crates to unload these huge metal things they're hoisting up on buildings with helicopters the next day. I'm not trying to make a point of who's the real man, because a lot of those stereotypes are toxic. It's just that my bf can't understand why anyone would think opening a cheap mini crate with a cheap mini crowbar would be fun, and it's a little insulting to the hard work he does.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Actual crates: still less troublesome to open than those sealed plastic clamshells.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pastry of the Year posted:

Frustrated, talentless, unpublished artists/writers/etc reblogging and retweeting the admonitions of their more successful role models to NOT 👏 WORK 👏 FOR 👏 EXPOSURE 👏 is also a pretty entertaining pattern of wish-fulfillment and halo-sharing, once you pick up on it

Actually working for exposure is a really lovely thing to ask someone to do if you're going to make money off something.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Actually working for exposure is a really lovely thing to ask someone to do if you're going to make money off something.

No, I definitely agree; it's just funny to me to see people who would never even be asked to work for as little as that going YEAH, RIGHT ON because it's important to the identity they've created for themselves.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tears In A Vial posted:

One of the Seth Rogen movies had a humorous youtube ad where the first five seconds were him and his friends shouting DON'T SKIP at you, and promising to put their titties on the glass if you keep watching.

I couldn't mash the skip button fast enough whenever I saw that ad. :argh:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

NLJP posted:

Yeah the problem is lovely ads (also virus laden ads which is why adblock is actually basically a requirement now).

The best was when Forbes blocked users who were running Adblock and then ran ads that served up malware.

Running adblockers isn't trying to get something for free anymore than running antivirus software is. It's a security practice you'd be nuts not to follow.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Phanatic posted:

The best was when Forbes blocked users who were running Adblock and then ran ads that served up malware.

Running adblockers isn't trying to get something for free anymore than running antivirus software is. It's a security practice you'd be nuts not to follow.

I just blocked most of the elements of that "welcome page" and I could browse Forbes with an Adblocker. They barely tried to stop people

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Speaking of dumb gently caress box marketing free exposure....

" ... What’s almost worse is you are expected to be polite. In spite of this massive insult you are expected to smile and say, “Thanks, but no thanks.” Artists are our own brand and we are expected to act like a walking, talking business in the age of the customer is always right.

Today I didn’t do that. Today I told them they were being rude. I told them they cannot, in fact, attach pleasant words to an unpleasant request and make it socially acceptable. These are people’s livelihoods they are preying on for a freebie and it isn’t okay. I told them if they can’t afford to give things away, they shouldn’t be doing a giveaway. That I cannot pay my bills in “exposure” and that they will not, under any circumstances, be getting free items from me. They’ve responded that they are glad they aren’t promoting me. The feeling is beyond mutual. ..."

The full text here: https://beezeeart.tumblr.com/post/150479015894/i-hate-waking-up-to-these-sorts-of-messages-some

Amazing, the balls on some people. 'Give me an item for free that cost you 700+ USD to make so I can get myself exposure!'

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Door Frame posted:

I still have that ad that would randomly screech, "Congratulations, you have been randomly selected to receive a free iPod Nano!" permanently burned into my brain...

My brain scar is that smiley ad that would go "Oh my god! No way!" with a voice crack in 'god' every time your mouse got too close.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Somfin posted:

My brain scar is that smiley ad that would go "Oh my god! No way!" with a voice crack in 'god' every time your mouse got too close.

Or the one with "Say something! What?" with the robot.

EDIT: Here, relive the majesty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiZfmZE13Pw

Sic Semper Goon has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Sep 17, 2016

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Somfin posted:

Yesterday, despite the adblock software, I got a popup. A loving still image of some mobile game that loudly said

WARNING THE PREVIEW OF THIS GAME IS FOR ADULTS ONLY.

Nothing would make me want to get their game less.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

The weirdest ad I ever got was a complete John Oliver segment, the cigarette industry one. I mean, I like John Oliver, so whatever, but that's not really an ad guys, that's a 20-minute segment.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I got that on Twitch a couple times. I want to watch a guy play a video game while people in chat poo poo on him, I'm not going to watch your 10 minute mini-documentary on how you are making a difference in the world (PS buy our product).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You guys never heard of uBlock Origin?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

It is the best.

It's also not selling its own ad space, unlike Adblock Plus.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mu Zeta posted:

What's wrong with AdBlock Plus?!!1

j/k. I use a different browser (Chrome) for Twitch because AFAIK they still use Flash for their video and I disabled Flash for Firefox a long time ago. Twitch is the only site I use Chrome for and it hasn't been that bad that I've felt like installing an ad-blocker for it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I haven't seen a YouTube ad in years. Literally years, well over half a decade. I got tired of seeing ads because people clicked "monetize" on content like music or TV clips that didn't belong to them to begin with. I'm sure they really miss the fraction of a cent that my view would have been worth.

The only place that I don't block ads on is SA ever since Lowtax reined in lovely ads. Essentially every other site seems to think that ads that autoplay videos and sounds or create popups are acceptable so gently caress them.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

BattleMaster posted:

I haven't seen a YouTube ad in years. Literally years, well over half a decade. I got tired of seeing ads because people clicked "monetize" on content like music that didn't belong to them to begin with. I'm sure they really miss the fraction of a cent that my view would have been worth.

The only place that I don't block ads on is SA ever since Lowtax reined in lovely ads. Essentially every other site seems to think that ads that autoplay videos and sounds or create popups are acceptable so gently caress them.

I bought the no-ads extension because I'm almost certain that puts more money in poor ol' LT's pocket than ad views. I still let through the goon ads because boy oh boy I love being directed to aggro-gator it's nice to know what people on the forums are part of, even if it's a doofy politics-themed android game or some similar nonsense. Also it'll be one of the very few places I definitely throw some money when I finally get a game out and it would be hypocritical to expect people to look at something I'm unwilling to see.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Somfin posted:

I bought the no-ads extension because I'm almost certain that puts more money in poor ol' LT's pocket than ad views. I still let through the goon ads because boy oh boy I love being directed to aggro-gator it's nice to know what people on the forums are part of, even if it's a doofy politics-themed android game or some similar nonsense. Also it'll be one of the very few places I definitely throw some money when I finally get a game out and it would be hypocritical to expect people to look at something I'm unwilling to see.

That's true, I generally prefer tossing people 5 or 10 bucks if they make something I really, really like because that's far more money than my ad views would have given them. I prefer to keep ads on on this forum because it accounts for so much of my browsing that I want to believe it works out to something substantial. That and I tossed Lowtax 10 bucks a little while ago and got this fabulous tag.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
Is Noscript really good at accidentally/incidentally blocking ads? I can't remember the last time I saw an ad on Youtube and it's the only thing I'm running.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love how uBlock has an option to block those "please disable adblock!!!" messages on websites. It's a hilarious ad proliferation.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Mu Zeta posted:

I love how uBlock has an option to block those "please disable adblock!!!" messages on websites. It's a hilarious ad proliferation.

That's what you get with the current arms race of blocking ads.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Also https://github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer/

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Mu Zeta posted:

I have uBlock and I didn't know about that. Thank you!

BattleMaster posted:

I haven't seen a YouTube ad in years. Literally years, well over half a decade. I got tired of seeing ads because people clicked "monetize" on content like music or TV clips that didn't belong to them to begin with. I'm sure they really miss the fraction of a cent that my view would have been worth.

Not always, but often the monetization is instituted by the music/TV/movie companies. Viacom or Sony or whomever lays copyright claims to the song/clip and makes Youtube put an ad before the video. Although there are plenty of shitheels that try to make some cash off of their typo-laden lyric video for Evanescence, too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The problem with ads on YT is I'll often be visiting there just to watch a very short clip, sometimes a random link from an SA thread or a trailer for something. I'd be fine with watching ads on a longer video like an LP just like I am with a TV show, but a 30 second ad on top of maybe 3-4 minutes of content is just absurd.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Sorry to poo poo up the YouTube ad discussion thread with some bad marketing, but my company's marketing people have come down with a serious case of emphasis quotes.

Normally they just look dumb without directly making you look like a prick, but this week we took out a huge expensive ad promising to "listen" to your "problems" and all I can think of every time I see it is some smug rear end in a top hat doing air quotes at me.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Sorry to poo poo up the YouTube ad discussion thread with some bad marketing, but my company's marketing people have come down with a serious case of emphasis quotes.

Normally they just look dumb without directly making you look like a prick, but this week we took out a huge expensive ad promising to "listen" to your "problems" and all I can think of every time I see it is some smug rear end in a top hat doing air quotes at me.

Jesus gently caress, why would they do it on both

There's no way to read the sentence without it being sarcastic now, I have to overemphasize at least one of the words

We'll listen to your problems.
We'll listen to your problems

I'm so sorry that your marketing department doesn't know how words work

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
My "funny" Youtube "story" is that they play regularly the Youtube A-Z ad at me. I never understood what's it for - like a short pointless music break before I get to watch my stuff. This thread made me google it and even now I'm not sure. They're promoting themselves?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I rather like the idea behind http://adnauseam.io although I have no idea if it's effective.

It hides the ads from view but still loads them and then clicks on every one in a background process. The idea is that any profile data built up is useless because you click on everything in the whole world.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Stick Insect posted:

I rather like the idea behind http://adnauseam.io although I have no idea if it's effective.

It hides the ads from view but still loads them and then clicks on every one in a background process. The idea is that any profile data built up is useless because you click on everything in the whole world.

That sounds like a very quick way to infect your computer with all the malware.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Thank God I have McAfee Active Protection software that came pre-installed on my computer

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

The Door Frame posted:

Thank God I have McAfee Active Protection software that came pre-installed on my computer

Lucky bastard. I had to install java to get that kind of protection!

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
This might not actually be a dumb move in marketing since it's possible that it hits more than it misses for all I know, but my wife's Pandora radio has decided all of her ads need to be in Spanish now. We technically do live near a significant Mexican population, so maybe it's trying its best to read nearby demographics, but mine hasn't been hit like that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Door Frame posted:

Sure, I'll bang this syphilitic whore with open sores all over her cooze. I've got a condom, what's the problem?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

dirksteadfast posted:

This might not actually be a dumb move in marketing since it's possible that it hits more than it misses for all I know, but my wife's Pandora radio has decided all of her ads need to be in Spanish now. We technically do live near a significant Mexican population, so maybe it's trying its best to read nearby demographics, but mine hasn't been hit like that.

That happened to me for about a year a while ago.

I am not Hispanic. I have never been to Mexico. I barely know any Spanish.

And the real kicker? I lived in rural Pennsylvania at the time.

Though now that I think about it what is probably the stupidest thing is that like half of the music I listen to is in German. Which isn't Spanish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That happened to me for about a year a while ago.

I am not Hispanic. I have never been to Mexico. I barely know any Spanish.

And the real kicker? I lived in rural Pennsylvania at the time.

Though now that I think about it what is probably the stupidest thing is that like half of the music I listen to is in German. Which isn't Spanish.

Facebook keeps showing me gay Israeli resorts, stuff written in Portuguese talking about Brasil, and is trying to get me to repatriate to London. I'm a straight white man who has never left America and can't read any other languages besides English. Ad robots aren't as accurate as people would have you believe