Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jesus christ, does he actually code like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
[NoP Public Service] Jerry Sandusky@diabolica191:

that redditor is in nopps...

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

MikeJF posted:

Jesus christ, does he actually code like that?

what does your heart tell you?

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

code:
when(IsBadAtCoding=TRUE);setIntValue("Bugs",curVal+1)
code:
while( badAtCoding != FALSE ) {
	bug++;
}

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 18, 2016

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

fakemirage posted:

Actually...

Makes you think when you see he's actually a engineer. So a 10 year old hijacks a shuttle and flies off and the federation is like eh go work on some warp cores kid.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Wait, what IS his job then?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

kafziel posted:

he comes up with stuff to put in lockboxes i think and programs computers

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

kafziel posted:

Idea Man "Systems Designer" :shrug:

Space Hero Keith
Sep 26, 2015

hakimashou posted:

he comes up with stuff to put in lockboxes i think and programs computers

But really just dicking around with mostly useless spreadsheets all day and pretending to be useful?

Sweet gig.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

kafziel posted:

He finds fun, then snuffs it.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

kafziel posted:

Finding hardcoded variables and re-typing them, and begging people on twitter to tell him how to <do thing that's actually fun> so that the rewards can be normalized.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Preechr posted:

He finds fun, then snuffs it.
I don't know, the week of never ending disco was pretty fun.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
All of Droz looking like this was great:

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/53co85/public_rp_ingame/

OP' posted:

Hey folks! I'm coming over from Star Wars: The Old Republic, and RP was a pretty big part of my time spent there. In SWTOR there were a few major hotspots where you could pretty easily find public RP outside of guild (or Fleet, in STO's case) stuff. I've been trying to find similar RP locations in STO; Quark's Bar keeps popping up a lot in the older threads I've found but so far I haven't found anyone RPing there. So where's the RP at these days? :P

First comment:

quote:

Used to be. Starfleet Dental and Nerds of Prey (Something Awful fleets) have done a good job of ruining that aspect of the game. Drozana and Risa sometimes have people floating around. From what I understand most RP happens inside ship bridges now.

anotherpubbies posted:

The last time I saw people doing public RP a bunch of people started spraying party favors and fire extinguishers at them. Haven't seen it in public since

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Nothing cleans like spray.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Some guy wanted me to pass this along:

" B LOAF 2@Brent980: haha yeah well with so many rare ships i would believe it. If your leader is still on please tell em i (B LOAF 2) said hi. I would like to meet up again sometime"

Also some guy was saying this:

[Zone #16] Graz@wcampbll: walking dead version-dental Is a propaganda tool of the north korean government-along with NoP their butt boys side fleet
[Zone #16] Graz@wcampbll: yes Dental is a cult of north korean worshippers
[Zone #16] Graz@wcampbll: spent a year on DMZ of korea-the other side tried so hard to look tough but it was a bunch of scarecrows with lift shoes and oversized hats manning a 3/4 size village that they were

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

hakimashou posted:

" B LOAF 2@Brent980: haha yeah well with so many rare ships i would believe it. If your leader is still on please tell em i (B LOAF 2) said hi. I would like to meet up again sometime"

[Zone #16] Graz@wcampbll: walking dead version-dental Is a propaganda tool of the north korean government-along with NoP their butt boys side fleet
[Zone #16] Graz@wcampbll: spent a year on DMZ of korea-the other side tried so hard to look tough but it was a bunch of scarecrows with lift shoes and oversized hats manning a 3/4 size village that they were

Non-Organizational Propaganda.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
I think I've finally been shadowbanned on STO Reddit.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

hakimashou posted:

I have told pubbies before that we are actually agents of Room 39, looks like someone finally understands.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 19, 2016

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Is there any point in starting this game?
I like the Star Traks, but everything I read indicates the game needs major revisions to be worth it across the board.

And if I do start, is the Galaxy always a terrible ship, or is out specific versions?
The Excelsior is nice and all, but the Galaxy just looks better, gently caress any haters.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

mehall posted:

I like the Star Traks, but everything I read indicates the game needs major revisions to be worth it across the board.

And if I do start, is the Galaxy always a terrible ship, or is out specific versions?
The Excelsior is nice and all, but the Galaxy just looks better, gently caress any haters.

I guess it depends on what you want out of a game. A lot of folks claim to enjoy the story arcs, to each their own I suppose, as I found them totally rote and forgettable, like Star Trek: Insurrection but with way more "clever" callbacks to old trek stuff. The space combat is totally fine, if a bit simpler than it looks from the outside, fly in circles, use all your powers, everything dies. The Galaxy has always been a not great ship in this game, too many engineering powers, not enough of the others. But the game is never very hard so just fly whatever you want. Im pretty certain by now there is no less than 3-5 Galaxy Class variants going from Tier 4-6 (ships come in tiers, starter weenie ships being tier one all the way up tier 6 for high end space boats.)

There's also missions that have a ground portion, it's a cross between every mmo ever and lovely mass effect. It's not the worst thing ever (there was a revamp some patches ago) but it's also pretty lame and when faced with a ground portion I must complete for whatever reason I just try to rush to the end since I find that part of the game pretty tedious. If you read all that and ask why am I still playing? I quit for a good while and came back with the expansion and since I've been playing forever I have all kinds of cool stuff and the game kinda runs on auto pilot at that point.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 19, 2016

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

mehall posted:

Flying the Galaxy is frustrating as gently caress. That thing can't turn to save its life.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Let's get one thing clear if it wasn't already apparent: You should not be playing STO for its narrative strength.

That would be like entering Pee Wee Herman into a strongman contest only with zero slapstick and no dialogue.
Alternatively STO is Cowboy Curtis in this sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKkkj1VgNus

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly the T6 Galaxy/Andromeda is... okay? Still way too pokey and engineering-heavy but it's actually got decent tac seating for a change. It just really has nothing to recommend it over almost any other T6 cruiser though, even the Gal-X is essentially a straight upgrade.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I got the Xbox version, is there a goon group, specifically for Starfleet, though I might start a Romulan character after I'm done with the first set of missions? Also what can I find in lock boxes?

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Anime_Otaku posted:

Also what can I find in lock boxes?
Despair.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/xbox/star-trek-online/news/detail/10142442-cardassian-dominion-lockbox-stats

General recommendation is to avoid spending money on lock boxes, since the chances of getting anything of worth is infinitesimally small.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

For the record, it's pretty well established now that the chance for getting a ship from a lockbox is around 1/250*, and around 1/125 for the special promo things from the R&D and Doff box promos. The other poo poo that drops from those generally isn't remotely worth the money spent.

(*There's actually a sliding scale that escalates the chance if you're super unlucky, but that won't doesn't unless you're spending literally hundreds of dollars on keys.)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Not a real STO whale until you spend 900 euros then scream about not getting your Ferengi D'Kora IMO.

I really wish I'd kept a bookmark of that thread. It was the old pre-ARC forums though so probably lost forever now.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

DancingShade posted:

Let's get one thing clear if it wasn't already apparent: You should not be playing STO for its narrative strength.

Ehhhhh I think the later arcs are decent mostly, and the occasions where they take unresolved plot threads from the shows and use them as a hook are decent.

If you're jonesing for Trek, it's not a bad game to play through the episodes once.

Edit: I also like when they do cool, weird alien poo poo that they could never do on the shows for budget. Which is surprisingly often.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you're comparing STO plot to Threshold then of course it seems better by comparison.

That's also like saying a non reheated frozen pizza is superior to having a rabid dog tear off and eat your genitals.

In general terms the dyson sphere stuff is moderately ok. Delta was forgettable trash and the iconian/temporal stuff was "I made my fanfiction.net story into a videogame!" quality.

I'm biased though (maybe) because I don't like trek because its trek. Most of it is utter garbage but there are some ok bits that I like. Kind of like how most new Doctor Who is also rubbish but there are good episodes buried in the wank.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 19, 2016

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

fakemirage posted:

Despair.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/xbox/star-trek-online/news/detail/10142442-cardassian-dominion-lockbox-stats

General recommendation is to avoid spending money on lock boxes, since the chances of getting anything of worth is infinitesimally small.

Yeah, the only real reason to open lockboxes is when you have the EC to burn on keys from the exchange and need lobi for the bind-on-pickup toys from the lobi store.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Yes if you don't like Star TREK you probably won't like it. A shocking revelation

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Only people with captain kirk dolls in their beds and mobiles of every enterprise hanging from their bedroom ceiling need apply.

Play STO because of the trainwreck that is the general player population. It's the best reason and the only reason we all keep coming back.

Raekwon_Chef
Apr 9, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Play STO because of the trainwreck that is the general player population. It's the best reason and the only reason we all keep coming back.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
I'm a huge Star Trek nerd that generally avoids MMOs. This is the only one I spend any time with. The majority of the draw is Dental. Followed by the ridiculous pubbie community. Last is collecting ships. It helps that the space combat isn't terrible.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Some redditor is tracking down STO RMTers

https://www.reddit.com/r/BraveheartSTO/comments/5289ba/the_rmt_thread/

He posted his findings on the sto reddit forum and one of the reddophile mods deleted it.

Wouldnt surprise me a bit if those reddophile mods have something to hide.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 20, 2016

Raekwon_Chef
Apr 9, 2013

hakimashou posted:

He posted his findings on the sto reddit forum and one of the reddophile mods deleted it.

Would surprise me a bit if those reddophile mods have something to hide.

It's BRAVEHEART... not just some average redditor...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hakimashou posted:

Wow that was shut down for a quick burial.

Hmm.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

hakimashou posted:

I see Bink is all over the comments. Not really a worthy replacement in my absence, but it'll do, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.
So remember those console exclusive T6 Dominion and Cardassian ships?

Guess what?

pubby posted:

I guess I can take comfort in that ALL T6 reward packs from Lobi or lockbox are bugged and give the T5 ships. That is something they can't ignore for long or they chase off people buying keys.

Another pubby posted:

Same thing happened to me. chose Keldon and opened the box. Got a Galor instead.

It's an issue for both PS4 and Xbone.

Icing posted:

And yep... support told me the T6 versions don't exist and I got the correct versions.

• Locked thread