Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
So serious question since I haven't actually used these forums since I signed up to toxx for Obama: how do I go about getting one of these Hillary gang signs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

lozzle posted:

So serious question since I haven't actually used these forums since I signed up to toxx for Obama: how do I go about getting one of these Hillary gang signs?

gimme $10 I'll take care of it for ya

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

lozzle posted:

Back before the conventions you could get one by perma-toxxing, but I've since stopped giving them out for that automatically. If you want one now, you'll need to demonstrate some level of devotion to Hillary that is either sufficiently impressive or entertaining.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

gimme $10 I'll take care of it for ya

Do not trust this man.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Back before the conventions you could get one by perma-toxxing, but I've since stopped giving them out for that automatically. If you want one now, you'll need to demonstrate some level of devotion to Hillary that is either sufficiently impressive or entertaining.

Ah I see. Then I will accept being a pleb until I find a truly impressive way to support Hillary. Thanks.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

lozzle posted:

Ah I see. Then I will accept being a pleb until I find a truly impressive way to support Hillary. Thanks.

You're never just a pleb when you're toxxing for Hillary, friend.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Do not trust this man.

rude

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Swedgin posted:

yeah, Hillary may be a substandard orator but she's definitely an above-average debater

even Obama/his campaign staff readily admits she cleaned his clock in 2008

the trick for Abuela is achieving a careful balance between the two things she needs to do in the first debate: get voters to see her candidacy in a positive light, which includes addressing trust/transparency; and unsettle Trump enough so that he self-corncobs in front of the entire country. she can't be too aggressive in going after him because that undermines the work she needs to do with regards to making a positive case for herself, but she absolutely has to create the conditions within which he implodes
Okay, that's a fair point that I may have been conflating her public speaking skills with her debate skills, but I'm still concerned about how she'll perform. Particularly, I'm concerned that she'll be too aggressive and for as much as Trump stumbles, she'll come off equally bad as a result. The best case scenario is a rough opposite of that, where Trump starts out on the attack, Hillary responds calmly, evenly, and effectively, and it causes Trump to make a bunch of unforced errors by overplaying his hand. I know that she's putting in tons of prep and Trump isn't, but Trump's set the bar so drat low for himself that simply staying on message and giving bland non-answers would mean a victory for him. I think that's a tall order for Trump, so I don't think he'll straight-up win the debate, but I'm predicting that the first debate will be a tie.

Obviously, I hope she cleans his clock, he implodes, the dead rise (and vote Democrat), and that she continues to run up the score in an unsportsmanlike manner in debates two and three, but I'm not holding my breath.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Hillary's debate squad knows that. Wouldn't be surprised if her plan's to appear human and not bully Trump's stupid responses. Those come naturally.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I'm sure that she's prepping to do just that, and I do think she'll be able to pull it off, I'm just saying that what she's attempting has a high degree of difficulty for anyone. She's gotta resist the urge to pounce on Trump when he stumbles, and keep the debate as specific and issue-focused as you can be when you're debating someone like Trump. When Trump stumbles and says something stupid, she's gotta use that as a springboard to get a little wonkish while staying on point and show a deeper understanding of whatever topic Trump just flubbed. The more she can bog Trump down in the minutiae of policy, the better contrast she is against him. If she can pepper that with a few on message stories that show her softer side and her motivations, I think she'll do fine.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm just glad Trump completely poo poo the bed with the press, because now they're likely to show him no mercy after the debates.

Fox not withstanding, but Fox can go gently caress off.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hillary Clinton is a strong, independent older woman (who don't need no man), who presumably has been dealing with dumb bullshit sexism in politics for two or three times as long as I've been alive. I have faith she can handle the cheeto.

The only thing that concerns me is stupid and low-information voters who don't watch the debates taking the media's word for it that Trump was anything other than a dumpster fire.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

Hillary Clinton is a strong, independent older woman (who don't need no man), who presumably has been dealing with dumb bullshit sexism in politics for two or three times as long as I've been alive. I have faith she can handle the cheeto.

The only thing that concerns me is stupid and low-information voters who don't watch the debates taking the media's word for it that Trump was anything other than a dumpster fire.
I'm heartened by the pillorying that Matt Lauer is taking from his peers in the media. I think that Lester Holt will, if anything, go harder on Trump than he should. You can already see Trump doing the groundwork for a "biased moderator" claim, which should be good news if you're a Hillary fan, since Trump is already contemplating how he'll deal with a perceived debate loss.

Although it's hard to predict such a thing without the benefit of time, I think that when we look back on this election, we'll see Matt Lauer's perceived failure as the inflection point where coverage of Trump changed. Look at how the major news outlets handled Trump's birther announcement bait and switch press conference. A month or two ago, I think he would have gotten off scot free on that (it's that wacky Trump being Trump!), but now there's rumblings about how he played the media, and no one likes to be played.

If the media turns on him, and does so hard, that's essentially game over for him, since his entire strategy is based around media dominance, and while there is a certain set of voters for whom being attacked in the media is a badge of honor, I don't think that they're anything but a vocal minority of solidly Republican voters anways.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I think the second time he called for Hillary to get assassinated (I mean, it is what it is) is also going to be a thing that hurts him. The first time was so shocking the media had to pretend it was a joke, or he couldn't possibly mean what he plainly meant, because the alternative was too damaging to their dumb narrative. The second time, not so much. He's going to do it again too, it's just a question of how many more times. I'm thinking five, so he's got three to go (once a debate, maybe?), but I could see it being more.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Peztopiary posted:

I think the second time he called for Hillary to get assassinated (I mean, it is what it is) is also going to be a thing that hurts him. The first time was so shocking the media had to pretend it was a joke, or he couldn't possibly mean what he plainly meant, because the alternative was too damaging to their dumb narrative. The second time, not so much. He's going to do it again too, it's just a question of how many more times. I'm thinking five, so he's got three to go (once a debate, maybe?), but I could see it being more.

Hes going to keep getting away with it until he threatens her life over twitter

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Al! posted:

Hes going to keep getting away with it until he threatens her life over twitter

"Next up on CNN, we are going to talk a little bit more about Hillary's emails, what are they wearing to the Emmy's and should Hillary be commander in chief with such shabbily dressed excuses for work correspondence. Plus, will Trump address the statement he made on Twitter and at the debate that he plans to eat Hillary and her children or was he 'just playing'? More on this narrative that Hillary is Satan and Trump is merely a lost innocent bystander, in a moment." - CNN

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Princess Di posted:

"Next up on CNN, we are going to talk a little bit more about Hillary's emails, what are they wearing to the Emmy's and should Hillary be commander in chief with such shabbily dressed excuses for work correspondence. Plus, will Trump address the statement he made on Twitter and at the debate that he plans to eat Hillary and her children or was he 'just playing'? More on this narrative that Hillary is Satan and Trump is merely a lost innocent bystander, in a moment." - CNN

Did you not hear about CNN's complete smack down of Trump?

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

DemeaninDemon posted:

Did you not hear about CNN's complete smack down of Trump?

I wish I saw it! We stopped watching CNN shortly before that. Are there clips up anywhere?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Princess Di posted:

I wish I saw it! We stopped watching CNN shortly before that. Are there clips up anywhere?

Check USPol around last uh Friday I think it was?

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot
Ok, on it!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Princess Di posted:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/take-everyone-off-the-screen-don-lemon-stops-panel-during-heated-birther-argument/

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Don Lemon: The Last Real Journalist

God help us all.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

It is a fine post, congratulations

How do you keep getting away with being double-toxxed?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Caithness posted:

How do you keep getting away with being double-toxxed?

It's not like he's going to get away with it long, given the whole double toxx thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yinlock posted:

It's not like he's going to get away with it long, given the whole double toxx thing.

The mods know, but are letting him post?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

iospace posted:

The mods know, but are letting him post?

Here's the story, since people are asking: He originally double-toxxed when Boosted and I were both IKs running the two toxx threads, and out of (likely misplaced) courtesy I pmed Boosted to deal with it as he liked, since it was his thread that EmperorFritoBandito double-toxxed in (and in the meanwhile threw that accusatory red text custom title on because I thought I was funny). Predictably enough, Boosted didn't do anything and not long thereafter I got promoted and he later got stripped for being a whiny, unfunny, and hat-phobic. EmperorFritoBandito sorta skated in between all of this, and I thought he'd gotten the message and stopped posting in the Trump toxx thread. I suppose I should do something about that, now.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Orrrrrrrr you could dump it on Baloogan now

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I remember there being double toxxers in previous elections, they got to post in both threads it was just guaranteed they got banned after the election since no matter what they'd lose at least one of the toxxes. at least I think thats how it worked. maybe just in lf in 2008 though

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I already got banned for accidentally posting in both threads, hopefully i dont get hit again when trump loses

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I remember there being double toxxers in previous elections, they got to post in both threads it was just guaranteed they got banned after the election since no matter what they'd lose at least one of the toxxes. at least I think thats how it worked. maybe just in lf in 2008 though

We're being a little more strict this time around. ZDR made it a rule to keep the threads from degenerating into endless sniping and shitflinging at each other.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Remember to bring your parachutes, people.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BluesShaman posted:

This is my first post on somethingawful.com.

Your appointment to the State Department should be finalized within the week

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Give it to me straight: was deus ex only good because it came out when i was a teenager

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Al! posted:

Give it to me straight: was deus ex only good because it came out when i was a teenager

Deus Ex is an ugly game with poor shooting gameplay and bad voice acting that nonetheless is one of the best games of all time.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i never got past the liberty island level ):

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pakled posted:

Deus Ex is an ugly game with poor shooting gameplay and bad voice acting that nonetheless is one of the best games of all time.

This. It was ugly and clunky and I've rarely been as drawn in and engaged by a game. I still play it every so often.

firebeats
May 8, 2016

Pakled posted:

yep

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I think im gonna go and play deus ex again. Ive never done a full heavy weapons run

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Al! posted:

I think im gonna go and play deus ex again. Ive never done a full heavy weapons run

What are heavy weapons? Are you talking about the lock pick?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Deus Ex: HR and MD are also amazing games that Squeenix really wants to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Was MD good? I didn't get it on release cause money and idk if my laptop can run it but I fuckin' loved HR

• Locked thread