Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Iron grip point blank chin sol marauder was a thing since what, open beta or anarchy league?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Starting to feel like I have taken this RF totems build as far as I want. Anyone got a good guide to something that will let a super bad like myself kill shaper? presumably this means BV pathfinder, which is fine but I'm struggling to find much on the official forums. The OPs of both BV guide threads seem kind of threadbare/questionable and I don't really want to dig through 120 pages. I have a budget of around 10ex currently, so I could afford a shavs for low life if needed. I'd like an either LL or CI build since I've never done either before.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx
My first successful character back in Open Beta was a Blood Magic LA Marauder. It was very strong.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1728961 I've been doing this guy's vortex+pyre/righteous fire chieftain build and it's pretty good. I also really like the basic idea: double-dip on spell and dot damage by taking advantage of vortex's "Modifiers to Spell Damage apply to this skill's Damage Over Time" by converting vortex into fire damage, then double-dipping again by getting DoT damage out of burning and Vortex's dot. But I also think it could really use some more efficiency and I'd love to see what you guys think.

So far, up through the midgame, it's been fine and dandy, but now I'm in Merciless and I actually need to think about the build a lil. So here are some of my thoughts and questions:

1. This guy uses the "Socketed gems deal 30% more elemental damage" from Essence of Horror for the Vortex skill, which he links with Controlled Destruction, Concentrated AoE, and Increased AoE. Would it be possible to get close to that amount of +damage, just by using a 5-link?
2. How do you maintain Righteous Fire? Just getting up to like 6 or 7 endurance charges, run Purity of Fire, and using Kaom's Way ring?
3. This build currently uses Warlord's Call curse-aura to build endurance charges. Is there another way to build endurance charges, so I can use Vulnerability instead (for that +DOT damage)? Alternately, would it be worth it to try to grab Whispers of Doom and run 2 auras? In that case, I'd really need even more help maintaining RF without Purity of Fire.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
1. Fire Penetration and Elemental Focus would help, but with EF you'd lose being able to Ignite from Vortex.
2. Rise of the Phoenix (which is in the build).
3. Spam Enduring Cry as much as possible.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I actually theorycrafted a similar build - looking at his tree it's almost identical - but as a Berserker, without Pyre/RF, and with EE.

Not having to run RF means a lot more freedom to gear (not having to use Pyre and Kaom's Way and RotF), and EE and Aspect of Carnage give me more sources of damage to make up for missing RF. I'm using Hrimburn instead and keeping Vortex as cold while stacking as much ignite chance and burning damage as possible - I'm also able to grab the Holy Fire cluster, which is another huge chunk of damage, and the cold damage from Vortex procs EE so the ignite gets another shitton.

It's likely enough that the Chieftain RF build will outperform along the bleeding edges, but I think the Berserker build doesn't lack for damage and will have a way, way easier time gearing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of Pyre, seems like a pretty cool ring. Not really sure what it's good for since I'm doing a Lightning Arrow build. Could probably make something cool with it if I was a burning-based DoT build though

It's also suspiciously valuable for what seems like a niche unique

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Pyre is one alch

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

quote:

Vortex stuff

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters (VRodent) - Here's my take on the vortex meta. I'll be adding 4 more grand spectrum to get to a total of 10.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 19, 2016

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
1) I'm running Chance to Ignite in a similar build, what's your chance to ignite without it?

2) And yes, that build uses a flask of Dousing to turn off RF if you run out of charges.

3) You can't really sustain RF without Purity of Fire. I'm doing the same build as LL to get around this but until I can afford a Shav's I'm having to make do without RF at all which is less than ideal.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1728961 I've been doing this guy's vortex+pyre/righteous fire chieftain build and it's pretty good. I also really like the basic idea: double-dip on spell and dot damage by taking advantage of vortex's "Modifiers to Spell Damage apply to this skill's Damage Over Time" by converting vortex into fire damage, then double-dipping again by getting DoT damage out of burning and Vortex's dot. But I also think it could really use some more efficiency and I'd love to see what you guys think.

So far, up through the midgame, it's been fine and dandy, but now I'm in Merciless and I actually need to think about the build a lil. So here are some of my thoughts and questions:

1. This guy uses the "Socketed gems deal 30% more elemental damage" from Essence of Horror for the Vortex skill, which he links with Controlled Destruction, Concentrated AoE, and Increased AoE. Would it be possible to get close to that amount of +damage, just by using a 5-link?
2. How do you maintain Righteous Fire? Just getting up to like 6 or 7 endurance charges, run Purity of Fire, and using Kaom's Way ring?
3. This build currently uses Warlord's Call curse-aura to build endurance charges. Is there another way to build endurance charges, so I can use Vulnerability instead (for that +DOT damage)? Alternately, would it be worth it to try to grab Whispers of Doom and run 2 auras? In that case, I'd really need even more help maintaining RF without Purity of Fire.

Don't do this. It is not reasonable to play ignite Vortex without a source of Elemental Proliferation. Concentrated Effect should also be used as a gem swap and not as a primary gem.

This is my current character. This is the lvl 93 version of its skill tree. This is a lvl 94 version of the tree that gets all the AoE nodes while dropping 2.6% regen from going down to Duelist. This works depending on gear and is one of the variants I'm considering switching to. Picking up Breath of Flames letting you drop Chance to Ignite gem also works, like this. It costs a few more skill points though, but there's life nodes and jewel sockets you can drop in all of these trees if you don't want ~210% life. With 21% chance to ignite from that tree and 10% from Flammability, it's at least somewhat feasible to not use Chance to Ignite gem, though I don't think it's a great option.

The priority links are Vortex - Increased AoE - Controlled Destruction. Iron Will, Concentrated Effect, Empower lvl 3/4, Chance to Ignite, Elemental Proliferation and Less Duration are all options depending on how many links you have and what you are getting from your tree. Lvl 21 PoF in a +2 Auras essence hat (or lvl 21 PoF + lvl 3 Empower, or lvl 20 PoF + lvl 4 Empower, though Empower cuts down on your remaining mana by a lot) gets you to 89 fire res. Here are the regen values you need to know:

code:
Res        Normal        -20% Regen        -40% regen        -60% regen        Vuln
88           10.8              13.5                18                27        14.4
89            9.9              12.4              16.5              24.8        13.2
The tree that goes down to Duelist gets 13.2% regen, the tree that doesn't gets 10.6%. 1.6% comes from Marble Amulet, and a Kaom's Way will get you between 1.6% and 3.2%, depending on how much you invest in Endurance Charges. Going down to Duelist lets you run -40% regen maps, none of the other trees do (though red maps will only roll -60% or no regen, so I don't think it's particularly meaningful to get more regen than what you need to run Vuln maps). You could wear double Kaom's Way with 10 Endurance charges and 89% fire resist and still not have enough regen to do -60% regen maps with RF, so you will never be able to turn on RF on those maps no matter what you do.

Depending on how much you want to micromanage EE, there are 3 ways to ignite:

1. Pyre - Unless you want to be like the build you linked, aka terrible, you will need to use Southbound glove so you don't explode monsters using Pyre. Exploding monsters makes your Ele Prolif not work, you don't want this. Uses both glove and ring slot, and makes your Vortex initial hit damage scale off your fire damage modifiers. To maximize EE for this, you will need to keep Orb of Storms on a boss, as that will keep the boss's fire res down through your Fire initial hit.
2. Hrimburn - Less micromanaging for EE, since you will still be doing initial cold with fire ignite. Can be annoying if your initial hit does not ignite and the monster now has +25% cold res. Use Flame Dash to trigger Mastermind of Discord if going this route (this is what Rodent is using).
3. Three Dragons - Also initial cold + fire ignite. Uses hat slot instead of glove slot. If you want 89% fire res it's better to use your hat slot on a +2 aura essence craft.

To me personally, because I am actually getting fire damage clusters and fire damage jewels, and the fact that I have to drop Orb of Storms constantly to keep up Ele Overload regardless, Pyre is the way to go. This is pretty open to preference though.

E: Be aware of how much damage a Fire Pen/Cold Pen gem actually gives when selecting what links to use. Labyrinth guardians have 40% all res, most bosses have 30%. 20/20 Ele Weak reduces that by about 20%. Ele Overload is -50%, and Mastermind of Discord penetrates 25%. On a normal map with no mods, this puts a Labyrinth Guardian at -55% resist. Lvl 20 Fire Pen makes that -92% (and remember, only on the initial hit, pen doesn't work on DoT). That's a ~24% damage multiplier on the initial hit. Lvl 3 Empower gives around 20% more damage, and lvl 4 Empower gives around 32% more, both to the cold ground effect and to the initial hit. Pen is worse on normal monsters and a little better on most bosses, probably winning out on +80% resist maps.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 19, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I really like the number talks, I like finding new builds to try out and want to try a vortex build now but end up getting distracted by multiple variations of the build and just want to figure out by the numbers which one is the "best" one or better in what ways before I level a character and do all those labyrinth runs.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

TheRat posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters (VRodent) - Here's my take on the vortex meta. I'll be adding 4 more grand spectrum to get to a total of 10.

how do you generate power charges?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

how do you generate power charges?

I dont. I just took the power charge to enable inspired learning for a bit of fun.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Pharnakes posted:

Starting to feel like I have taken this RF totems build as far as I want. Anyone got a good guide to something that will let a super bad like myself kill shaper? presumably this means BV pathfinder, which is fine but I'm struggling to find much on the official forums. The OPs of both BV guide threads seem kind of threadbare/questionable and I don't really want to dig through 120 pages. I have a budget of around 10ex currently, so I could afford a shavs for low life if needed. I'd like an either LL or CI build since I've never done either before.

I haven't taken the plunge on LL. For the price of a Shav's, you can get an extremely good 6L ES chest with almost double the ES of Shav's. Also, the 15% more ES node past the CI keystone is absurd.

If you go BV, know that you will spend over half of that 10ex on a Vinktar flask (the lightning conversion version) and another ex or so on a decent Rumi's. That leaves a bit for ES/crit gear + jeweller's touch for your chest. I transitioned to ES around dried lake level (70-something). Check the leaderboards for passives/setups.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

TheRat posted:

I dont. I just took the power charge to enable inspired learning for a bit of fun.

if you werent planning on spending like 400c on 10 of those jewels would you have taken fewer jewel slots or just used regular rares?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

TheRat posted:

grand spectrum is right :eyepop:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

if you werent planning on spending like 400c on 10 of those jewels would you have taken fewer jewel slots or just used regular rares?

If I didnt go for grand spectrum the tree would be entirely different yeah.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I haven't played in a long long time and started up again last night. I made a ranger and have been following https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1041989 as a build.

Is it a good build? I really like it so far, TS takes care of most stuff and frenzy murders bosses. The biggest issue is if I don't keep my weapon up to date I get murdered in pretty short order.

Also, what should I be picking up? So far I've been keeping all skill gems, all Vaal gems and all currencies. As it is that's almost an entire stash tab in a day.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you dont need to keep skill gems unless you are planning on using it at some point or its got quality and you want to either sell it or trade it for a gcp

vaal gems can be turned in for a vaal orb though so maybe keep those

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
To add on to the above:

There's 6 drop-only gems (Detonate Mines, Portal, Added Chaos Damage, Enchant, Enhance, Enlighten) and 2 recipe-only gems (Mirror Arrow, Block Chance Reduction). Everything else is a quest reward from at least one class (you can even level up 3 classes to get access to all gems). Even if you need something your class doesn't naturally get, they can be head for an alch or less usually.

40% total in quality gems -> 1 GCP. 7 Vaal gems + 1 Vaal fragment -> 1 Vaal orb

Look into using an item filter to help you with the whole "should I pick this up?" thing. Lots of people (myself) use Neversink's.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

van fem posted:

I haven't taken the plunge on LL. For the price of a Shav's, you can get an extremely good 6L ES chest with almost double the ES of Shav's. Also, the 15% more ES node past the CI keystone is absurd.

If you go BV, know that you will spend over half of that 10ex on a Vinktar flask (the lightning conversion version) and another ex or so on a decent Rumi's. That leaves a bit for ES/crit gear + jeweller's touch for your chest. I transitioned to ES around dried lake level (70-something). Check the leaderboards for passives/setups.

I've already got a rumi's so that's fine at least. CI does seem like a better option than LL at this point, I think I can squeeze in a good vinktars and a nice regalia into 10ex with some decent jewellery. If I have to go back to my rf totems and farm a bit more its not the end of the world though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

for vortex is it only literally "spell damage" that double dips or will elemental damage or even straight fire damage work?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My doomfletcher is trucking right along, though I have difficulty getting through some T4s and most T5 maps without getting squished a couple of times. Sometimes to gitgud / hubris, other times to oneshots. Since this is only my second character to lategame, anyone have recommendations for immediate improvements? (besides more +%life in the tree, I'm working on it)

Character: CiaphasSA_TSDI

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

for immediate help get more life on your jewelry asap

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
I believe that as you do elemental conversion, 'converted' damage still retains the 'tags' of it's unconverted type. So if you have 100% cold to fire, all of your fire damage will benefit as if it was both cold and fire damage. However, an ignite effect is fire to begin with, and the lingering damage of vortex is always cold and cannot be converted (this is what I remember hearing at least), and so if you are going for ingite cold to fire vortex you will need to use elemental damage.

If you use +cold damage, your initial 'hit' will be converted to fire but still benefit, and the lingering damage will benefit as well, but an ignite effect from the hit will not benefit from +cold damage, because it was never cold to begin with. On the other hand, if you use +fire damage, your hit and it's ignite effect will both benefit from the boost, double dipping the ignite as people say, but the lingering vortex aoe damage will remain cold because of the skills mechanics and therefore it will not benefit from the +fire damage.

Spell damage actually doesn't double dip with ignite either, so it works at only partial efficiency in the same way that cold damage does. You can really only 'efficently' boost damage here with something something "elemental damage".

Of course, if you aren't trying to ignite, then you can use cold damage or elemental damage or spell damage because all 3 of those effect both the converted hit and the lingering aoe dps.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

MannersPlease posted:

I believe that as you do elemental conversion, 'converted' damage still retains the 'tags' of it's unconverted type. So if you have 100% cold to fire, all of your fire damage will benefit as if it was both cold and fire damage. However, an ignite effect is fire to begin with, and the lingering damage of vortex is always cold and cannot be converted (this is what I remember hearing at least), and so if you are going for ingite cold to fire vortex you will need to use elemental damage.

If you use +cold damage, your initial 'hit' will be converted to fire but still benefit, and the lingering damage will benefit as well, but an ignite effect from the hit will not benefit from +cold damage, because it was never cold to begin with. On the other hand, if you use +fire damage, your hit and it's ignite effect will both benefit from the boost, double dipping the ignite as people say, but the lingering vortex aoe damage will remain cold because of the skills mechanics and therefore it will not benefit from the +fire damage.

Spell damage actually doesn't double dip with ignite either, so it works at only partial efficiency in the same way that cold damage does. You can really only 'efficently' boost damage here with something something "elemental damage".

Of course, if you aren't trying to ignite, then you can use cold damage or elemental damage or spell damage because all 3 of those effect both the converted hit and the lingering aoe dps.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong about the ignite not double dipping. The skill gem says spell damage adds to DoTs, and the wiki agrees that this means ignites (or even poisons) will get the boost from spell damage.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Spell damage boosts the ignites caused by Vortex. That's why it's one of the best skills for proliferating ignites right now.

You don't really care about the cold AoE effect, since as you approach 900-1000% increased double dipping damage the cold AoE effect quickly gets eclipsed by your ignite damage.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I am thinking of doing a flicker strike cospri's malice build with Vortex/Cold Pen/Ice Bite. I might do DW, and have Vortex/Cold Pen/Life Leech in the other one.

The idea is to be a flickering rear end in a top hat that teleports around blowing up everything. Probably Assassin but maybe Inquisitor?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Vasudus posted:

I am thinking of doing a flicker strike cospri's malice build with Vortex/Cold Pen/Ice Bite. I might do DW, and have Vortex/Cold Pen/Life Leech in the other one.

The idea is to be a flickering rear end in a top hat that teleports around blowing up everything. Probably Assassin but maybe Inquisitor?

How well do non-oro/terminus builds work with generating frenzy charges to keep flicker refreshing? I haven't tried one of them yet. Also dots don't crit so I don't think they'd get the 0% resist effect from inquisitor.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

nightwisher posted:

How well do non-oro/terminus builds work with generating frenzy charges to keep flicker refreshing? I haven't tried one of them yet. Also dots don't crit so I don't think they'd get the 0% resist effect from inquisitor.

They work fine outside of bosses. I don't recall GGG adding a good way of generating charges without Oro's or Terminus Est, so you probably still can't do any bosses with a large amount of health.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so i wanted to take rats vortex tree and not use the insanely expensive jewels. any thoughts? https://www.poeurl.com/MBG

ive never done a non life based build before so lots of things here are new to me. please tell me how bad it is

e: is that link not working for anyone else? strange. copy paste the url works but not the link
http://poeplanner.com/AAMAAVBBQU1EQ...EFBQUFBUUFBAAA=

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 20, 2016

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

if I wasnt using grand spectrum I think I would do something like this http://poeurl.com/MBK

E: Your tree looks allright too though.
E2: If you're new to CI, you might find it easier to drop vaal pact and grab some regen + zealots oath instead. The vaal pact leech is really mediocre anyway.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

For reference, here's numbers showing why Ignite Vortex should completely ignore the damage of the ground effect. I just made these graphs real fast using an online graphing calculator tool.

Totally unlinked Vortex:

Vortex linked with CD and Ele Overload active:

Vortex with all the multipliers my build uses:

E: Notice at the end of the last graph that you're hitting over 1000x the initial hit damage of Vortex in ignite damage per second. Initial hit of Vortex goes up to ~650 average damage at lvl 21. Add in another 1.5x multiplier from shock caused by Ele Conflux (that also double dips), and 1.19x double dipping from Less Duration and you can see why that thread from last league was talking about Vortex doing MILLIONS OF DPS.

Oh, and uh, you could get another double dipping 1.3x from Pain Attunement but I've expressed before that I don't like LL RF Vortex because it's hard to recover your ES quickly which makes you fragile. CI is fine and you just lose out on RF but you get a bigger life pool.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 20, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ok thanks. its comforting to see that yours isnt totally different. i am learning :v:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Count Uvula posted:

They work fine outside of bosses. I don't recall GGG adding a good way of generating charges without Oro's or Terminus Est, so you probably still can't do any bosses with a large amount of health.

Frenzy works just fine for bosses on maps with no status effects on Oroflicker. It's not the most optimal, of course, but it works. Frenzy up to max charges, flicker them away, repeat. Short of really outrageous bosses (I haven't done any guardians yet) it shouldn't be bad.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

And here's a graph showing inc elemental damage % of grand spectrum ranging from 0 to 13 jewels:

:D

(and this is obviously before any multipliers like controlled destruction and elemental overload)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i could buy like 4 of them with all my money on sc essence right now lol

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I started mapping with 0, and just bought them as I chugged along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Ultima66 posted:

Spell damage boosts the ignites caused by Vortex. That's why it's one of the best skills for proliferating ignites right now.

You don't really care about the cold AoE effect, since as you approach 900-1000% increased double dipping damage the cold AoE effect quickly gets eclipsed by your ignite damage.

Huh. Interesting thing about that gem, didn't realize it specified all dots and not the gems dot. Thanks for correcting.

And yeah, I played foxtactics arc conversion that focused on the burn double dippping and using VRF for bosses. That poo poo is insane, I can see how vortex can become so absurd using the same mechanics.

• Locked thread