Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

pookel posted:

Young female nerds have a different rite of passage to adulthood through internet atheism than the males, though, one that involves learning that they will never be considered full members of the atheist tribe. They must choose whether to accept their fate and become a "cool girl, not like all those OTHER girls," or take the path of feminism and be forever derided by their former friends as a screeching feminazi.

I'm imagining a ritual performance where they have to castrate an effigy of Dawkins while a tribal elder stands behind it and reads tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

MC Nietzche posted:

Look at this poo poo:

https://twitter.com/rabite/status/775506596759736320

A not-smallish part of me hopes Aurenheimer dies in a cage like an animal.

Isn't he living in some shithole disputed territory in Eastern Europe? I don't think it's the people who aren't exiled from the First World that are owned here.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm imagining a ritual performance where they have to castrate an effigy of Dawkins while a tribal elder stands behind it and reads tweets.

Not far from reality, though generally the dawkins effigy is made out of corn cobs and slowly roasted over a fire

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Isn't he living in some shithole disputed territory in Eastern Europe? I don't think it's the people who aren't exiled from the First World that are owned here.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
How does PZ Meyers fit into this?

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I think he says he's in Lebanon now, but honestly I just hope he eventually gets extradited someday and put back into jail.

Fake edit: Internet says Beirut https://pando.com/2014/11/21/troll-tales-catching-up-with-weev-in-beirut/

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

GunnerJ posted:

How does PZ Meyers fit into this?

By getting in a Twitter spat with an ex-LF poster, apparently.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

What

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

He was having a slapfight about something incredibly pointless with Sam Kriss (a.k.a. Red Ken) recently.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Okay thats pretty funny. I'm reading Kriss' takedown of Myers on his blog and its something glorious.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Gorn Myson posted:

Okay thats pretty funny. I'm reading Kriss' takedown of Myers on his blog and its something glorious.

Holy poo poo that is some of the most obnoxious bad-LF meandering bullshit I've ever seen

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can't imagine how empty a life must be before someone dedicates himself to spilling out so much hatred apropos of nothing. Is that guy really keen on Jesus or something? Meyers is the least objectionable internet atheist of all, and is ironically doing the lord's own work in continually baiting and owning the Dawkins contingent and their roiling gynophobia.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Jack Gladney posted:

I can't imagine how empty a life must be before someone dedicates himself to spilling out so much hatred apropos of nothing. Is that guy really keen on Jesus or something? Meyers is the least objectionable internet atheist of all, and is ironically doing the lord's own work in continually baiting and owning the Dawkins contingent and their roiling gynophobia.

It's ironic rambling bullshit, not legit hate

he's not mad so much as he is a terrible writer

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

To be fair, this is pretty hosed up; http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008/04/21/it-must-have-been-an-act-of-go/

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Ahahahaha, did a priest seriously vanish himself by sitting in a lawn chair tied to party balloons

That's hilarious

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Holy poo poo that is some of the most obnoxious bad-LF meandering bullshit I've ever seen

The problem with Sam Kriss is he sometimes accidentally makes an interesting point, because some part of his brain is actually functional, but he's got so many utterly pathetic intellectual and emotional hangups that he assumes contrarian positions like he's having horrible muscular tics, which on a psychic level, he probably is, so every interesting turn of rhetoric is almost inevitably turned to the service of meaningless, whiny bullshit.

EDIT: Also he straddles the line between irony and sincerity so he never has to defend anything he says

The Vosgian Beast has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Sep 19, 2016

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ahahahaha, did a priest seriously vanish himself by sitting in a lawn chair tied to party balloons

That's hilarious
I was going to write about how its loving weird that people throw their humanism out the window when they feel like dancing on someones grave, but Christopher Hitchens mocked Jerry Falwell when he died by saying that if you gave him an enema you could bury him in a match box.

That line is so good that I can't object to any grave dancing. Even though I'm a Catholic and the priest Myers mocked actually sounded like a very good guy.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Gorn Myson posted:

I was going to write about how its loving weird that people throw their humanism out the window when they feel like dancing on someones grave, but Christopher Hitchens mocked Jerry Falwell when he died by saying that if you gave him an enema you could bury him in a match box.

That line is so good that I can't object to any grave dancing. Even though I'm a Catholic and the priest Myers mocked actually sounded like a very good guy.

Oh, Meyers was deffo being gross. But if 4chan kept archives and IDed its posters, you could see me posting much worse back in 2008.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh, Meyers was deffo being gross. But if 4chan kept archives and IDed its posters, you could see me posting much worse back in 2008.

Heck it's bad enough in 2016. :twisted:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

You can still see Sam Kriss getting banned for calling people autistic retard faggots on YOSPOS through the magic of archives

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I don't see quite what's so horrific about the Sam Kriss piece, it's overlong but it's pretty funny. His point is reasonable, it's that internet atheism fetishises rightness and says nothing new to the extent that it's basically a cult of pedantry. He's right to point out they are naive, even if he is hyperbolic. Just because you're not wrong doesn't make you not an arsehole.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

J_RBG posted:

it's pretty funny.

It's really not

It is trying incredibly hard to be, and it fails

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

J_RBG posted:

I don't see quite what's so horrific about the Sam Kriss piece, it's overlong but it's pretty funny. His point is reasonable, it's that internet atheism fetishises rightness and says nothing new to the extent that it's basically a cult of pedantry. He's right to point out they are naive, even if he is hyperbolic. Just because you're not wrong doesn't make you not an arsehole.

I mean it's a matter of taste, but nearly every article he writes is like this and it's irritating when that level of non-attention to argument is applied to things that aren't more or less a given in the circles he travels in. I can agree with "Hey, nu-atheism sure is lovely" but he's going to be doing the same routine in a week or two when he tries to argue that Lysenkoism is actually good, or that broadway theater is fascism, or whatever his next thinkpiece is and it's going to be less funny than regardless of how funny you find it now.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/754340626183913476

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/754342658185854976

I'm not joking about that Lysenkoism thinkpiece being a real possibility

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

J_RBG posted:

I can't see that he said anything beyond that generic statement, though, which would be two sentences. The rest was frothing. It was a terrible and stupid article.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

I can't see that he said anything beyond that generic statement, though, which would be two sentences. The rest was frothing. It was a terrible and stupid article.

PZ Myers responded and Sam Kriss wants you to know that he's not owned by disowning "facts" and "evidence" as tools of the evil liberals https://samkriss.wordpress.com/2016/09/19/why-i-put-pz-myers-in-a-hot-air-balloon/

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

This seems standard trolling to me, his twitter bio is literally 'anti-facts' and he enjoys conspiracy theorists. It seems he just finds it funny when people just have this need to point out that the world is, in fact, round. And not Dark Enlightenment at all?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

J_RBG posted:

This seems standard trolling to me, his twitter bio is literally 'anti-facts' and he enjoys conspiracy theorists. It seems he just finds it funny when people just have this need to point out that the world is, in fact, round. And not Dark Enlightenment at all?

Oh he's still miles above any given Dark Enlightener, and we should probably stop talking about him.

That said

The Vosgian Beast posted:

EDIT: Also he straddles the line between irony and sincerity so he never has to defend anything he says

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Constant irony is annoying, but at least it's not as worthless as alt-right/DE 'irony' which seems to solely consist of "lol jk but also please take this idea seriously"

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That's kinda what some DE twits try to do, take Wesley for example. Albeit he is earnestly racist most of the time. Moldbug incorporated irony and sarcasm as part of his style, and is rarely overtly bigoted, the point being that if he gets called out he can resort to obscurantism and muddling his arguments.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

J_RBG posted:

I don't see quite what's so horrific about the Sam Kriss piece, it's overlong but it's pretty funny. His point is reasonable, it's that internet atheism fetishises rightness and says nothing new to the extent that it's basically a cult of pedantry.

Without disagreeing that e.g. Dawkins is an idiot, what I find obnoxious in that article is the erasing of the (powerful and ignorant) Christian cultural context that most atheism exists in reaction to.

To use his metaphor, there are actually towns full of ignoramouses who nod to each other and say, "The earth is flat," and think that is a *fact* and and put it on billboards, and think about it when electing representatives into the government, etc. If you grow up in that kind of place, you know it's real. They are not in fact possessed of deep wisdom about the subjectivity of experience. They mean that poo poo and act accordingly.

So it's obnoxious when the wine and cheese Christians sort of pretend it doesn't exist and sneer at atheism in general. Sorry the fight to keep creationism out of public schools resulted in YouTube evolution debate videos that are ever so dreadfully tedious to Sam Kriss.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Keeping creationism out of school curricula isn't an "atheist issue" though.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

pookel posted:

Young female nerds have a different rite of passage to adulthood through internet atheism than the males, though, one that involves learning that they will never be considered full members of the atheist tribe. They must choose whether to accept their fate and become a "cool girl, not like all those OTHER girls," or take the path of feminism and be forever derided by their former friends as a screeching feminazi.

Elevatorgate and everything related was extremely eye opening for me, on many levels. It's me, I was one of those ignorant atheist dudes who didn't notice shitloads of pervasive misogyny until the misogynists acted out so much I finally perceived the pattern.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

divabot posted:

More NaB delays, arse!

Phil Sandifer posted:

Update: Createspace just lost a 400 book sale because they literally have no way to override their automated system.

Seriously, who the gently caress thought an automated system with no override was a good idea? Curtis Yarvin?

but, in more heartwarming news:

Phil Sandifer posted:

tfw Nick Land likes one of your tweets ranting about the low quality of Mr. Robot reviews.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I never would have thought that "your book contains numbers that our system thinks are page numbers and it can only print if it thinks those numbers are in order" would be a thing. And the lack of an override- no way even to tell it "those aren't page numbers"- is amazing.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I never would have thought that "your book contains numbers that our system thinks are page numbers and it can only print if it thinks those numbers are in order" would be a thing. And the lack of an override- no way even to tell it "those aren't page numbers"- is amazing.

Having worked on a system that literally finds page numbers in documents and replaces them with new ones you wouldn't believe how much of a Big Deal this is to stupid marketing types

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Pope Guilty posted:

IIRC the Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff book kept being flagged by the printer for "mistakes" (it's a "troll book", intentionally printed wrong, with intentionally bad graphics etc.) and the author had to keep flagging each "mistake" as "yep, intentional"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like seriously I have had to work multiple Saturdays in the past because aaa the page numbering detection isn't putting the page number in the pixel-perfect exact location it needs to go :kingsley:

Or maybe that's because I was working for a company with poo poo management that panicked at every minor issue, who knows

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I recently found out my friend (who's black, no less) thinks Milo is hot and since Milo thinks black guys are hot he's clearly not racist, ugh. Anyone got any good quotes to counter this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just search for him and everything he's ever said in relation to BLM.

I'm sure there's plenty of stuff from him on Ferguson too.