Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Luso looks like a grandma who is wearing her entire furniture collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Luso is great and his pizza cutter of justice will never go dull :911:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That guy could be wearing basic knight armour and still look like a gently caress head if his weapon of choice is a giant plastic pizza cutter.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Cicadas! posted:

Additionally, I would argue that while the Owlcher has some elements that may muddle the main idea a bit, (the glasses markings, drawstring hoodie, and smart bowtie make it look more like a student than an archer) it works together well enough as a whole that it can be considered a cohesive design. It is not overdesigned.

It would look much better if it lost at least the random head feather (which doesn't look like any of its actual feathers so it's just different for the sake of making it look messier), the dumb strings, the ugly chest cross, the white spots all over, and the random triangles. The designer should have put the pencil down about five or six steps before they actually did. Those extra additions only deter from the design and cohesion.

It's the definition of overdesigned:

Cicadas! posted:

Hello, no. A character being overdesigned means that there are an abundance of disparate and mostly unrelated ideas present in their design that don't add anything constructive to the main concept beyond cheap flash. In other words, "trying to do too way many things at once and failing at all of them."

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Oh my god whoever Luso is he looks like an art project where you just have to add SOMETHING everyday. Until the character is just a throbbing pile of trinkets.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Bowser has too many spikes and is therefore overdesigned

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Improbable Lobster posted:

My question is why were the first two legendary trios Ice/Fire/Electric?

Fire/Ice/Electric is the single most popular element trio in videogames in general, likely due to Dungeons and Dragons.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Space T Rex posted:

Oh my god whoever Luso is

He's the protagonist of Final Fantasy Tactics A2, an otherwise wonderful game.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Lets look at what were talking about.

Its:
1. An owl.
2. With a hood (AND STRINGS)
3. A cross
4. A head feather
5. Triangles and stylistic designs like the white dots on the back of the wing and the white stripes at the tips.

TOO MANY ELEMENTS LOOK THERE'S LIKE 5 THINGS AT ONCE!!!!!!

If you don't count the triangle/pattern poo poo, there's like 4 things going on here. And I don't count those basic designs because owls literally have patterns on them in real life. So unless your'e going to tell me nature over designed owls I think you're objectively wrong here.

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 19, 2016

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

He just looks like an archery owl, I don't know what the problem is. His hoodie is cute and cool

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Luso Clemens is the coolest chap.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i don't like the owl thing but its not because its "overdesigned", it's not and looks fine standing next to poo poo like Venasaur (a giant turtlesaur with a flower, some ferns, vines, and patterns all over its body, v overdesigned i m o) or sceptile (bipedal lizard with tree growing out of its butt, also with stripes on its belly, bulbs on its neck, and leaf bracers, good lord cut back on the belts and zippers there gamefreak)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ka0 posted:

Luso Clemens is the coolest chap.

He's cool as hell.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Space T Rex posted:

So unless your'e going to tell me nature over designed owls I think you're objectively wrong here.

Yeah, archer owl is an owl. If you think it is over designed I would hate to see your reaction to pretty much any JRPG character.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Space T Rex posted:

Lets look at what were talking about.

Its:
1. An owl.
2. With a hood (AND STRINGS)
2. A cross
3. A head feather
4. Triangles and stylistic designs like the white dots on the back of the wing and the white stripes at the tips.

TOO MANY ELEMENTS LOOK THERE'S LIKE 4 THINGS AT ONCE!!!!!!

If you don't count the triangle/pattern poo poo, there's like 3 things going on here. And I don't count those basic designs because owls literally have patterns on them in real life. So unless your'e going to tell me nature over designed owls I think you're objectively wrong here.

We just had a humanoid ninja frog with its tounge wrapped around like a scarf. It became one of the most popular Pokemon ever. This is an archer owl and nobody but you are freaking out over it.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
The only Pokémon I'd consider "overdesigned" would be Mega Sharpedo, and that's more needlessly busy more than anything.

To go in the opposite direction, which Pokémon do you wish had more elements to their design? I want to like Beartic, but he's criminally bland for my taste.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

notoriousman posted:

The only Pokémon I'd consider "overdesigned" would be Mega Sharpedo, and that's more needlessly busy more than anything.

To go in the opposite direction, which Pokémon do you wish had more elements to their design? I want to like Beartic, but he's criminally bland for my taste.

Charizard.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

notoriousman posted:

golem is super bland

but also super forgettable, to the point where when discussing kanto cup options throwing golem out as a suggestion gets a round of "who?"

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

I've always felt Golurk is a bit overdesigned.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

notoriousman posted:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

less laughter posted:

It would look much better if it lost at least the random head feather (which doesn't look like any of its actual feathers so it's just different for the sake of making it look messier), the dumb strings, the ugly chest cross, the white spots all over, and the random triangles. The designer should have put the pencil down about five or six steps before they actually did. Those extra additions only deter from the design and cohesion.

It's the definition of overdesigned:

So you want an plain brown owl with a green hood?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Having a lot of detail isn't the same as having a lot of design elements. Check out how nearly everything on Armaldo is the same shape.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Geostomp posted:

We just had a humanoid ninja frog with its tounge wrapped around like a scarf. It became one of the most popular Pokemon ever. This is an archer owl and nobody but you are freaking out over it.

Cool glad we agree??

Anyways we need a mega Lickitung with its tongue wrapped around its whole body.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Color choice is also a big part of design unity. Both Owlcher and Armaldo have like 5 colors, tops, and the colors are equally distributed throughout the design's elements in a tasteful manner. Contrast this with poster boy Luso, who is a walking, jangly rainbow with no harmony and numerous one-off colors.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Space T Rex posted:

Cool glad we agree??

please don't throw lickilicky away thank u

make lickilicky a big bulbous growth like legion from castlevania, but made of tongues instead

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

I wish he would be in his standing pose which looks so much better.

Oh, and speaking of great idle poses that are sadly absent recently...

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Sorry but whatever pokemon you're talking about I have written out of my reality, please do not bring it upon again I am very sensitive thank you. No body knows why evolite works with Lickitung but I welcome the glitch.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Space T Rex posted:

Cool glad we agree??

My bad. Did not read it that well.

I want a Mega-Lickylicky that surfs on it's tounge.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lickilicky exists to use STAB Explosion. This I decree.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Actual overdesigned Pokemon

Bongo Bill posted:

And also to block out the sun by being so fat.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Bongo Bill posted:

Mega Glalie stole its thunder

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chesnaught is the poo poo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i dunno if rhyperior really counts as 'overdesigned' as much as 'doesn't need to exist'

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Actual overdesigned Pokemon

lol It's not even that complex about the only thing i would change is the top litle horn

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Johnny Joestar posted:

i dunno if rhyperior really counts as 'overdesigned' as much as 'doesn't need to exist'

Then who else is going to shoot Geodudes from their hands.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Reshiram is probably the most "overdesigned" pokemon, in my book.

Confusing protrusions everywhere making its silhouette hard to read, too much contrast in it's implied texture (smooth bands, furry torso, silky hair), a generally unappealing body shape that forces it into that awkward arms-up pose.

Also it got a dingus

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

less laughter posted:

Then who else is going to shoot Geodudes from their hands.

why not the head...

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Elfgames posted:

lol It's not even that complex about the only thing i would change is the top litle horn

I think it could do without the big orange belt. I don't mind Rhyperior but what really confuses me is that the whole line has no orange at all then he is suddenly covered in it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Space T Rex posted:

I think it could do without the big orange belt. I don't mind Rhyperior but what really confuses me is that the whole line has no orange at all then he is suddenly covered in it.

It's what made it evolve in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
when i see someone write that a pokeman is too busy or overly complicated, i imagine the poster is a grandfather posting via fax modem. Omastar and Kabutops are the same as their basic form with extra POWER FINS and POINTY BITS from gen one.

go take your prune juice, dad