Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
On a non-poo poo fit note... Looking at Gila fits for soloish pvp. This seems to be the fit I see the most, give or take a mid.

[Gila, Gila]
Damage Control II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
50MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Stasis Webifier II
Warp Scrambler II

Medium Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer
Rapid Light Missile Launcher II

Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

Hammerhead II x2

Is there any real benefit if I squeezed in a 100mn? I could add some bling to reduce fitting requirements of LSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

FranktheBank posted:

On a non-poo poo fit note... Looking at Gila fits for soloish pvp. This seems to be the fit I see the most, give or take a mid.

[Gila, Gila]
Damage Control II

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
50MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Stasis Webifier II
Warp Scrambler II

Medium Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer

Hammerhead II x2

Is there any real benefit if I squeezed in a 100mn? I could add some bling to reduce fitting requirements of LSE.

Gila is a kiting ship. Both it's weapon systems can comfortably apply full damage at 30km+, which makes every single short-range ship totally loving worthless and a bunch of unbonused long range ships a whole lot worse too. Don't fit web/scram/mwd on hulls not focused on brawling.

[Gila, solo stupid]
Overdrive Injector System II

50MN Microwarpdrive II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Medium Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Navy Cap Booster 800
Republic Fleet Warp Disruptor

Rapid Light Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Mjolnir Light Missile
[empty high slot]

Medium Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer II
Medium Core Defense Field Extender II
Medium Core Defense Field Extender II

Valkyrie II x2
Infiltrator II x2
Hammerhead II x1
Hammerhead II x1
Warrior II x4
Hornet EC-300 x4

Cap boosters are love, cap boosters are life. They're how you get away from poo poo, and how you mwd for far longer than your opponent. Rf point (you want this, seriously) and changed up the drones (you want valks for speed, 3750 max speed will catch any unlinked cruiser easily, hammerheads won't). 2000m/s cold with no implants, no boosters, no quafe, nothing. That means all the brawlers have no hope, and the only threats are things like cynabals, vagabonds and orthruses. Tackle can get to you, but rapid lights + warriors will gently caress them over. Be aligned to safespots and don't get blobbed and the job's a good 'un. Buy toxot, 8% missile range with no negatives is great.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

MorsAnima posted:

Cap boosters are love, cap boosters are life. They're how you get away from poo poo, and how you mwd for far longer than your opponent. Rf point (you want this, seriously) and changed up the drones (you want valks for speed, 3750 max speed will catch any unlinked cruiser easily, hammerheads won't). 2000m/s cold with no implants, no boosters, no quafe, nothing. That means all the brawlers have no hope, and the only threats are things like cynabals, vagabonds and orthruses. Tackle can get to you, but rapid lights + warriors will gently caress them over. Be aligned to safespots and don't get blobbed and the job's a good 'un. Buy toxot, 8% missile range with no negatives is great.

Awesome. Couple questions (for understanding).

1. Why Overdrive over Nano? Is the ~1k eHP loss that bad? And with no DC2, am I just resolving that if I hit armor/structure I'm already screwed?
  2. For resist rigs, I thought plugging the EM hole in shields was more important than thermal?
  3. For selecting which drones to use in which fights, if I know that speed isnt a factor (say the target can't break 2000 m/s), then I use the hammerheads? Or am I choosing based on damage type (infil for shield, etc)?
  4. Why EM missiles? Shouldn't I be sticking to Kin/Therm for the 50% damage bonus?
  5. This is a general kiting fit question. So, I want to stay within ~30km to apply missile damage, but I don't want to get within like 18km because of overheated faction scrams. Setting my orbit for like 22-25km won't accomplish this? If I get someone low, and I am aligning to a celestial and kiting, what stops them from just cutting engines and turning around while I'm still burning ~2k m/s away?
  6. If I wanted to buy a set of Low-Grade implants should I go Snake or is there a better set?

Thanks!

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

FranktheBank posted:

Awesome. Couple questions (for understanding).

1. Why Overdrive over Nano? Is the ~1k eHP loss that bad? And with no DC2, am I just resolving that if I hit armor/structure I'm already screwed? gotta go fast. If someone stupid does actually chase you'll be heating/unheating your mwd in a straight line to keep them interested but not in danger range, overdrive > nano for that.
  2. For resist rigs, I thought plugging the EM hole in shields was more important than thermal? Basically boils down to "your shield is there to stop tackle taking home a 300m killmail." Don't get caught by anything bigger
  3. For selecting which drones to use in which fights, if I know that speed isnt a factor (say the target can't break 2000 m/s), then I use the hammerheads? Or am I choosing based on damage type (infil for shield, etc)? yeah hammerheads that poo poo, unless you know they have a raging resist hole then swap to those if you have them otherwise prioritise speed (actually hitting > chasing and not hitting) then damage
  4. Why EM missiles? Shouldn't I be sticking to Kin/Therm for the 50% damage bonus? Literally the first missile type in eft, use whatever you want
  5. This is a general kiting fit question. So, I want to stay within ~30km to apply missile damage, but I don't want to get within like 18km because of overheated faction scrams. Setting my orbit for like 22-25km won't accomplish this? If I get someone low, and I am aligning to a celestial and kiting, what stops them from just cutting engines and turning around while I'm still burning ~2k m/s away? Way too easy to be slingshotted at 22-25km, especially if you're doing the dreaded 'orbit'. Don't orbit, don't be close enough to get slingshotted. Don't align to celestials, interceptors will land before you and tackle again. Nothing stops them burning away, you can choose to heat mwd after them if you want, but be aware they can then attempt a piss-easy slingshot, so it depends how confident you are in winning, how low they are etc.
  6. If I wanted to buy a set of Low-Grade implants should I go Snake or is there a better set? Don't, you're inexperienced and you're gonna die a lot before getting the hang of kiting

Thanks!

Basically, kiting is full on risk aversion flying and the Gila is very good at it. You'll also die a lot while figuring out what's safe and what isn't. And who you can engage and who you can't. And how to shake tackle. Practice in a navy omen, that's the eve-standard kiting learning ship.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just wanted to say that D-W is a pretty cool place to hang out and its been fun fighting in a popular staging system not filled with brave or horde tier trash :shobon:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I'm bored of Eve and want to win it for a undefined ammount of time. Suck that I'm still subbed for several months but whatever.
All my poo poo is in D-W, where is the best place to put it for long term storage ?
(I have a carrier to help move stuff around if need be)

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

anywhere in lowsec, really, since that can't be conquered

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Krogort posted:

I'm bored of Eve and want to win it for a undefined ammount of time. Suck that I'm still subbed for several months but whatever.
All my poo poo is in D-W, where is the best place to put it for long term storage ?
Sakht probably.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Krogort posted:

If you can wait some days you can just wait for a good connection to thera on https://www.eve-scout.com/ and stash it all there.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Less Fat Luke posted:

Sakht probably.

How often is the gate camped by hostiles as caps can't make the jump ?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Krogort posted:

How often is the gate camped by hostiles as caps can't make the jump ?

Rarely, but someone will probably be around to scout it for you if you ask nicely.

Orido Mitsumo
Sep 14, 2016

Krogort posted:

Or if you're risk adverse, just pay to have it shipped backwards from D-W to Sakht or Zinkon. The shipping services are always looking to fill their cargoholds for trips in the opposite direction. You might even be able to haul it for cheaper in that direction.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
I want to get a super soon but i have no idea what the new post-citadel fits are like

please help me waste my money and my life

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

bonewitch posted:

I want to get a super soon but i have no idea what the new post-citadel fits are like

please help me waste my money and my life

are you in goonswarm? Get in fightclub first.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Reverand maynard posted:

You can join fightclub prior to owning a super?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Reverand maynard posted:

You can't join without a super and I don't want to buy one until I get all the mods I need

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

If you are looking into a 20b isk hull you should kind of have a basic idea on how to fit it, try your best in pyfa then check our recent-ish killboards to see if you were close.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

MorsAnima posted:

Whelping uselessly is how you never get better, but ok. If you legit just want a useless mildly tanky thing on field then 2x plate 1x eanm tempest with no propmid, no mjd etc. Hell you might as well go full retard and dual tank at that point.

I should say too, you're going to die to smaller gangs too. In fact, you're gonna die to anything beyond afk stuff on gates.

Lol this dudes wrong. Dying uselessly can teach you a lot.

Also whelping is what a bitch does to pups. "Welp" is the onomatopeia in "welp that went poorly and we died".

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

bonewitch posted:

You can't join without a super and I don't want to buy one until I get all the mods I need

Check killboards from recent brawls. They'll tell you what ~elite PvP~ corps are actively running.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Jbz posted:

If you are looking into a 20b isk hull you should kind of have a basic idea on how to fit it, try your best in pyfa then check our recent-ish killboards to see if you were close.

the fact that its 20b is exactly why im not winging it. i understand 90% of how it should be fit, but i didn't keep up with the citadel changes so im not sure about stuff like: which burst projector to use, how many fighter support units by default, etc

Fishvilla posted:

Check killboards from recent brawls. They'll tell you what ~elite PvP~ corps are actively running.

i did this but it was only moderately successful. i guess i'll just buy the hull, join fightswarm, and then get the rest of the mods based on what they say in there

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Be the elite baller you want to be and get officer web and point further boosted by your own links fitted to super.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
the longdrinks special

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

You're gonna drop about 8b more into the base hull from fittings and fighters

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

bonewitch posted:

the fact that its 20b is exactly why im not winging it. i understand 90% of how it should be fit, but i didn't keep up with the citadel changes so im not sure about stuff like: which burst projector to use, how many fighter support units by default, etc

i did this but it was only moderately successful. i guess i'll just buy the hull, join fightswarm, and then get the rest of the mods based on what they say in there

What super did you have in mind?

FWIW, supers aren't exactly like subcaps -- there's not a fixed fit that you always have. You have a baseline fit, but you also carry a lot of refit modules and adjust as needed, returning to the baseline when you log off.

Reverand maynard posted:

You're gonna drop about 8b more into the base hull from fittings and fighters

This is about exactly right. FWIW, this is the rough breakdown of costs for my Aeon above/beyond the hull itself:

* Baseline fit (rigs, standard armor tank, and standard mids/highs): 5.1B
* Fighters: 2.1B
* Refit modules: 1.7B

Shield supers can expect to spend ~1B more on the tank mods, but that's counteracted by the hull being slightly cheaper.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ullerrm posted:

FWIW, supers aren't exactly like subcaps -- there's not a fixed fit that you always have. You have a baseline fit, but you also carry a lot of refit modules and adjust as needed, returning to the baseline when you log off.

Since the invention of the yurt if you don't have a travel fit for your T3 I don't know what's wrong with ya.

Like literally any T3 that dies on a gate is objectively "Wrong" barring bad luck.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

ullerrm posted:

Aeon

The refits is the other reason I ask. I've been in capswarm before I so I know in general what I need, but I don't want to wing it when it comes to a super

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
the aeon used to be the best super but is now probably the 2nd worst with the citadel changes

the hel is now the best super, which 2011 me never thought I'd say (nyx is close 2nd)

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Amarrian supremacy :colbert:

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Landsknecht posted:

the aeon used to be the best super but is now probably the 2nd worst with the citadel changes

the hel is now the best super, which 2011 me never thought I'd say (nyx is close 2nd)

Wait what makes the Wyvern the worst?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

nah wyvern is still and will always be the best.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

Since the invention of the yurt if you don't have a travel fit for your T3 I don't know what's wrong with ya.

Like literally any T3 that dies on a gate is objectively "Wrong" barring bad luck.

otoh the loki gets to choose between having a travel fit and more than 15 minutes worth of ammo

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
what are you talking about webs don't use ammo

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

AAPsel posted:

otoh the loki gets to choose between having a travel fit and more than 15 minutes worth of ammo

Amarr too, gallente is hosed.

BAE B BLUE
Mar 27, 2016

Rhymenoserous posted:

Amarr too, gallente is hosed.

Yeah I feel t3 cruiser cargohold needs some lovin. I mean t3ds have 1.5x the cargohold.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

MacPac posted:

I just wanted to say that D-W is a pretty cool place to hang out and its been fun fighting in a popular staging system not filled with brave or horde tier trash :shobon:
You tried to kill my Astero, you jerk! :mad:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

turevidar posted:

what are you talking about webs don't use ammo

yet

lol

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

wyvern has the smallest fighterbay and has no fighter speed/hp/damage boost

citadel made it so that supercarriers are all about being able to do damage/not get defanged, and now the wyvern (followed by the aeon) are the easiest to defang

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is it possible to "reload" fighters using a mobile depot?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Is it possible to "reload" fighters using a mobile depot?

You mean dump from your cargo into drone bay? Should be able to. Can do it with drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rhymenoserous posted:

You mean dump from your cargo into drone bay? Should be able to. Can do it with drones.

If this is correct, then is de-fanging in bigger fights as much an issue? What stops a DST from dropping into a fight, transferring fighters over to a super, which then refits to replace lost fighters? Are packaged fighter volumes too prohibitive?

• Locked thread