Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i actually like the further evolutions such as electivire and magmortar, but something about rhyperior seems weird. maybe because rhydon was one of giovanni's 'things' in the early games and it feels odd for there to just magically be a further evolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

rhyperior exists because its badass

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Internet Kraken posted:

Actual overdesigned Pokemon

I wouldn't say that's overdesigned. It's a horrible design, it looks terrible and whoever decided it should be included needs to get fired immediately if they haven't gotten fired yet, but it isn't because it's overdesigned, just because it's bad and it saddens me that something as great as Rhydon becomes that.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'd call Chesnaught overdesigned. If we want the kings of that title, we'd have to look at Kyrem-White and especially Kyurem-Black.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ditto could've used some spikes

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I wouldn't say that's overdesigned. It's a horrible design, it looks terrible and whoever decided it should be included needs to get fired immediately if they haven't gotten fired yet, but it isn't because it's overdesigned, just because it's bad and it saddens me that something as great as Rhydon becomes that.

It means Rhydon can use Eviolite, so consider it a buff to a mon you like

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Blaze Dragon posted:

yeah, its biggest crime is that it looks goofy as gently caress and rhydon already looked pretty great + was a cool high-level evolution. electabuzz looks weird, but electivire looks better so it works out. hell, even elekid looks better than electabuzz.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Calaveron posted:

Ditto could've used some spikes

that's what im thinking. there's too many plain blobs of fat pokermans. its like staring into a mirror

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

wow, another gen 3 pokemon i've actually never seen or heard of before

why does this keep happening

edit: it's supposed to be bug type???

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

cradily is the superior fossil from gen 3

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Rock/Bug. It and its Rock/Grass counterpart are the forgotten fossils.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

look at this cool-rear end pokemon

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

well that's kind of cool. But when it debuted, there was nothing outside of the pokedex letting you know those existed. Like people have said, bringing them to 3D has made a lot of them cooler, but also some of them were just bad. Purrloin standing up was really weird. Tropius, Xatu, and those other non-wingflapping pokemon came out weirder than they should've. However sassy clefairy and clefable with their finger snaps is pure gold.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Johnny Joestar posted:

electabuzz looks weird, but electivire looks better so it works out. hell, even elekid looks better than electabuzz.

Electabuzz looks awesome though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Countblanc posted:

It means Rhydon can use Eviolite, so consider it a buff to a mon you like

On the other hand, it means that if it ever gets a Mega, it goes to Rhyperior instead of a cooler Rhydon, and it almost definitely means we aren't getting Alolan variations of the Rhyhorn line since those are for Gen 1 only and now there's a pesky Gen 4 design at the end. And it isn't even good!

Also all the Electabuzz line is awesome. Wish I could say the same for Magmar.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Legendary pokemon and mega evolutions employ more design elements in order to underscore that they're a big deal.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

look at this cool-rear end pokemon

i've seen this one before and he's pretty cool.

less laughter posted:

Electabuzz looks awesome though.

electabuzz owns

electivire is loving awful though

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wish electivire had electabuzz's tail, or even two of electabuzz's tail. the way the black cord tails curve up is weird

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

A precious anomalocaris boy

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i know i'm probably alone on this for sure, but electabuzz always looks like they wanted to do some ape-like design but didn't go far enough so it looks odd to me

oddium posted:

i wish electivire had electabuzz's tail, or even two of electabuzz's tail. the way the black cord tails curve up is weird

yeah, definitely

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Motor driiiiiiive

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Geostomp posted:

Rock/Bug. It and its Rock/Grass counterpart are the forgotten fossils.

You're a forgotten fossil

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kerrrrrrr posted:

It's first form is much more obviously based on the anomalocaris (pretty large predatory arthropods) from the Cambrian era.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

oddium posted:

Isn't that supposed to be his gimmick? He jabs you with those two live wires and runs electricity through you like a tazer.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blaze Dragon posted:

On the other hand, it means that if it ever gets a Mega, it goes to Rhyperior instead of a cooler Rhydon, and it almost definitely means we aren't getting Alolan variations of the Rhyhorn line since those are for Gen 1 only and now there's a pesky Gen 4 design at the end. And it isn't even good!

Also all the Electabuzz line is awesome. Wish I could say the same for Magmar.

ok in that hypothetical future which may not ever happen that'd stink, but in this reality which we all inhabit it was a buff to a pokemon you like

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
magmortar is cool and magby is the cutest baby pokemon

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Those are also Wimpod's ancestors

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Incorrect. Wimpod is a Trilobite.

Well, probably more of a horseshoe crab, but same thing different era.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 19, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Dang I got schooled by Ross Geller

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I always thought the Chikorita line was kind of underdesigned, Chikorita itself in particular

It's just kind of a blob that grows a neck later

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
You're not wrong, but they gave it so much personality in the anime that it made up for it in spades.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's the closest thing we've got to an apatosaurus, and I will credit it for that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cicadas! posted:

Incorrect. Wimpod is a Trilobite.

Well, probably more of a horseshoe crab, but same thing different era.

It's currently thought that the anomalocaris' closest living relative is the velvet worm, which isn't really represented in pokemon yet.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Bongo Bill posted:

It's the closest thing we've got to an apatosaurus, and I will credit it for that.

Aurorus tho

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's currently thought that the anomalocaris' closest living relative is the velvet worm, which isn't really represented in pokemon yet.

Velvet worms are cool as hell, it would make a great pokemon. I could see it being a bug/dark type or something that got a lot of snaring and entry hazard moves like sticky web and such.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 19, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The real disappointing thing about 3D is that it doesn't seem like they'll be updating them each generation like they have the sprite animations. Maybe new animations are all that determine separate generations and everybody saying that this is forever generation 6 was right all along

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Who is everyone's favourite unevolved pokemon, not in terms of usability, just in terms of how excellent they are?

As well as my documented affection for Sunkern I am very fond of Chingling. I want twenty of them to live in my Christmas tree.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Bongo Bill posted:

Magnemite is an honorary starter, and it's my favorite.

The only flaw in the entire line is the middle eye on Magnezone being red so it looks like a big dumb nose. If they'd left it as a normal Magnemite eye it'd be so much better.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Lord of Hats posted:

The only flaw in the entire line is the middle eye on Magnezone being red so it looks like a big dumb nose. If they'd left it as a normal Magnemite eye it'd be so much better.

Magnezones sometimes get stuck together and can't move. They're perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Who is everyone's favourite unevolved pokemon, not in terms of usability, just in terms of how excellent they are?

This purple pumpkin is the best and I don't have the heart to evolve my own.