Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

dirksteadfast posted:

The story is still developing apparently, and I believe they're just starting to get photo evidence of the clowns. I just saw some people think it might also be viral marketing for Rob Zombie's new movie about killer clowns, which could be possible.

I heard the viral marketing angle as well, but rogue clowns have been popping up on the east coast for about two years now, in new towns/cities every few months, so I think that's a coincidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Franchescanado posted:

I heard the viral marketing angle as well, but rogue clowns have been popping up on the east coast for about two years now, in new towns/cities every few months, so I think that's a coincidence
Yeah, I don't buy the viral marketing thing either. I think it's just some morons having a laugh. This isn't new. If I remember correctly, there was an incident a year or two back with some random creepy clown appearing around England somewhere that I can't remember (I want to say Birmingham for some reason?). Also, a few months ago there was some creepy clown dressed all in black spotted throughout Wisconsin. This is some dumb new internet thing or something. I don't buy that it's connected to anything, just people being assholes. Creepy assholes, yes. But I'm guessing that's the point.

'Course, easy for me to talk big. They haven't popped up in NH yet (that I'm aware).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dirksteadfast posted:

The story is still developing apparently, and I believe they're just starting to get photo evidence of the clowns. I just saw some people think it might also be viral marketing for Rob Zombie's new movie about killer clowns, which could be possible.

the only picture i saw was some rando on twitter that coulda just had a buddy dress up.

i think it's more likely there aren't any clowns.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

UncleMonkey posted:

Yeah, I don't buy the viral marketing thing either. I think it's just some morons having a laugh. This isn't new. If I remember correctly, there was an incident a year or two back with some random creepy clown appearing around England somewhere that I can't remember (I want to say Birmingham for some reason?). Also, a few months ago there was some creepy clown dressed all in black spotted throughout Wisconsin. This is some dumb new internet thing or something. I don't buy that it's connected to anything, just people being assholes. Creepy assholes, yes. But I'm guessing that's the point.

'Course, easy for me to talk big. They haven't popped up in NH yet (that I'm aware).

The one in the UK was the Northampton clown, who was compared to Pennywise in a few of the reports on him. And yeah that just turned out to be a student having a laugh.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

UncleMonkey posted:

The Wisconsin one did end up being viral marketing for some guy's short film. I also don't remember hearing anything about him actively harassing people like these other ones are.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Whoo boy, aside from one or two moments of nifty imagery, CELL was probably worse than the book. At the very least you'd think King's book gives you a great ready-made opening, but no. There's no build up, no tension and it's all over in about a minute. At least no one is going around and floating or anything this time.

Also, according to IMDB at least, it was shot in 2013 and as of December 2015 Cusack said that he and King were completely cut out of any creative process on that movie. So chances are it was one of those 'lets use most of the budget on getting a couple of names' type deals.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 11, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Speaking of Cell. I reread it and I liked it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mods?!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

GreyPowerVan posted:

Let me guess. You started at the back and read forwards. That way it gets better.

Otherwise

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

GreyPowerVan posted:

DNFTT

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I got one credit on audible and am trying to decide:
Duma key, dolores clayborne, danse macabre, or something from Peter straub?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

joepinetree posted:

How about some Joe Hill instead? Literally any of them over those.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

joepinetree posted:

I liked the audiobook for Duma Key best out of those choices.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

How about some Joe Hill instead? Literally any of them over those.

I already have the fireman, how is his other stuff?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

I already have the fireman, how is his other stuff?

20th Century Ghosts is front loaded with its best stories, and I lose interest halfway through its contents, but when it's good, it's great.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

joepinetree posted:

Duma Key.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Danse is good if you care about the genre or the act of writing (it's like a longer and unfocused On Writing). I enjoyed it.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

3Romeo posted:

Danse is good if you care about the genre or the act of writing (it's like a longer and unfocused On Writing). I enjoyed it.

How does it hold up? I keep wanting to read it, but I'm a bit put off by the fact that it's 35 years old.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Beef Hardcheese posted:

How does it hold up? I keep wanting to read it, but I'm a bit put off by the fact that it's 35 years old.

Surprisingly well. It's basically a long-form version of the authors notes he wrote back then - full of insights about writing and entertainment, often funny, but also rambling. If you liked reading his longer notes in eg Different Seasons you'll probably dig it.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Beef Hardcheese posted:

In terms of commentary on the horror genre, there's a preface from 2010 looking over the intervening 30 years briefly. It does focus almost entirely on movies.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

Context: Orange is the new Black, guard is sitting out with a body buried under the corn

I like how the book is all ratty. I mean, can you imagine a stephen king paperback that isn't all creased and mangled and dog eared?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Any paperback over 300 pages is going to be ratty after the first read-through, especially one you're gripping with fear.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Any paperback over 300 pages is going to be ratty after the first read-through, especially one you're gripping with fear.
Well mass-market paperbacks will. Trade paperbacks hold up decently.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
Honestly, IT didn't so much scare me as gross me out. I mean parts were scary but my overall impression was just "ewww". Same with certain other King books, like From a Buick 8; it's wasn't scary but the autopsy scene really made me feel sick. And Under The Dome was just such a psycho bloodbath that I was too busy recoiling from the gore to be scared.

On the other hand, The Shining, 'Salem' Lot, and quite a few others that I can't name off the top of my head have prompted me to sleep with the lights on for several nights.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Casimir Radon posted:

Well mass-market paperbacks will. Trade paperbacks hold up decently.

I read an unabridged copy of Les Miserables on paperback and by the time they were in the sewer it looked like a pile of tissue paper loosely attached to a bookmark.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Whoever recommended Hex: Thank you so much. And gently caress you, I might never sleep again. gently caress.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Did I hear right that Hex isn't so much a translation as an adaptation that swapped geography around?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I read an unabridged copy of Les Miserables on paperback and by the time they were in the sewer it looked like a pile of tissue paper loosely attached to a bookmark.
Maybe I've just been lucky. I mostly buy hardcovers nowadays so long as they're not ridiculously priced.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Did I hear right that Hex isn't so much a translation as an adaptation that swapped geography around?

It takes place in New York State, and truthfully, if I hadn't heard before I started it that it was originally all Dutch, I wouldn't have picked up on that. Then again, I get sucked into a good story and tend to miss a lot of the details/flaws that others notice, so some people may disagree. It's seriously one of the more disturbing, slow-burn, I-for-real-had-nightmares-last-night books I've read in ages.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

April posted:

Whoever recommended Hex: Thank you so much. And gently caress you, I might never sleep again. gently caress.

I think it was me, but it really was Stephen King on Twitter.

April
Jul 3, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I think it was me, but it really was Stephen King on Twitter.

And after reading everything SK has written over the course of 3/4 of my life, I would probably offer him equal amounts of Thank You/gently caress You as well.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

Sorta. The whole translation was re-written to an American viewpoint and location. Let's just say the original Dutch was preserved in that the origins of the setting were a Dutch settlement. That said, it still grates at times. There are many examples of weird cultural references that flew very wide of the mark for me, but I think the weirdest sentence in the whole novel is this:

quote:

“to call Robert Grim progressive was like calling Auschwitz a Boy Scout camp,”
This might be obvious to some, but it wasn't to me.

When I read this, early in the novel, I was already a little lost by references to songs that were important to the town culture of the setting but meant nothing to me, pulling me out for a moment. I thought it was ok because I like to be introduced to new cultures and ideas and histories. The Auschwitz boy camp thing never made any sense to me. I could read that as a pro- or anti-Auschwitz or pro- or anti-progressive bit of narration, and the ambiguity of it derailed me for the rest of the novel.

BTW: That's ok. I like ambiguity. I just have to question what's happening when the author suddenly compares progressives and Auschwitz in this awkward manner.

I still recommend the book. I give the author the benefit of the doubt. It was just jarring, in a novel that is often a little off.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They've wrapped filming on part one of It. Sept. 8th is the planned release date.

I am going to be very interested to see how this turns out.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just started book VII, afraid I'm almost at the clearing at the end of the path. See you guys on the other side of the door, cry thank ya sai.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Pheeets posted:

Same with certain other King books, like From a Buick 8; it's wasn't scary but the autopsy scene really made me feel sick.
Yeah, this was definitely a book I avoided reading when eating.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How did the thread like Misery? I'm about to start my first read.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

RCarr posted:

It's one of his best, and terrifying in a way his supernatural works really can't ever be.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

One of King's best protagonist versus one of his best villains with a meta-narrative thrown into the mix. The intimacy of the setting and only having two characters really ramps up the paranoia and suspense in a human way, and the ending is satisfying.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Awesome :getin:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

RCarr posted:

It's brilliant. Solid top :five: in my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think it's really surprising how little people talk about Misery. It seems universally loved by anybody who's read it, but when people talk about King books it seems like it's always The Stand or It or Pet Semetary. I really think Misery is as good as any of those, I guess maybe it's just not as full of King tropes as those others so it gets overlooked. Annie is easily as terrifying as any of his supernatural villains.

It's also one of the better movie adaptations for whatever that's worth.