Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I remember "buy back games" being pretty good in the Denver area all through my childhood and the into 2004 (when I left the area).

Most recently (2004) I bought a euro copy of shenmue 2 for the dreamcast for $20 there, as well as some obscure dreamcast soccer game UEFA Striker.

If they are still around they are probably a good place to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I just had the worst Facebook discussion with a friend. Pat the NES Punk did a video on Wolverine and the digital war crime known as X MEN. You know, one of the worst commercially released NES era Videogames ever loving made that was released in the USA. LJN deciding to ruin every comic book and videogame fan's holiday with this abortion that singlehandedly proves the Nintendo Seal of Quality was complete horseshit.

My friend was upset and is DEFENDING this game.

Jesus loving wept. I mean infamous Kusoges like Friday the 13th NES, NES Spelunker? They have potential and some good ideas mired by critical flaws but X Men? Only the slow torture of everyone who allowed that weekend ruining pile of Nurgle's Rot until they plead for the sweet release of death that should never be granted no matter how many bloody tears they shed would forgive that evil unleashed upon the world. :doom:

(Course my friend is one of those who thinks everything he loved as a child is automatically great now and forever in spite of all evidence proving that like all of us he had generally terrible taste as a kid because we all didn't know any better. And he also has shared dumb poo poo a minute's Googling would lead to Snopes and prove false. And then not even go "Oops my bad!". Guy is one of the genuinely one of the loveliest people you will ever meet but ye gods can he be dumb as a goddamned brick. :smith: )

Defending NES X Men. I've seen it all.

Vvvv geez. You sure do get salty on a fuckload of people in this thread don't you? vvvvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 19, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
you know what, finally pulling the trigger on that block list addition

let the man like his lovely games you insufferable goon :goonsay:

yeah man it's just me being salty :toot:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 19, 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Rufus sperg-rages so we don't have to. He's kind of Jesus-like, like that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I got pretty decent at soldering in NES and SNES batteries after a certain point, but I'm not sure I'll ever do an OK job with my GB/GBA carts. GBA especially is such a bitch to even get the plastic casing closed after the fact.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Captain Rufus posted:

I just had the worst Facebook discussion with a friend. Pat the NES Punk did a video on Wolverine and the digital war crime known as X MEN. You know, one of the worst commercially released NES era Videogames ever loving made that was released in the USA. LJN deciding to ruin every comic book and videogame fan's holiday with this abortion that singlehandedly proves the Nintendo Seal of Quality was complete horseshit.

Jesus loving wept. I mean infamous Kusoges like Friday the 13th NES, NES Spelunker? They have potential and some good ideas mired by critical flaws but X Men? Only the slow torture of everyone who allowed that weekend ruining pile of Nurgle's Rot until they plead for the sweet release of death that should never be granted no matter how many bloody tears they shed would forgive that evil unleashed upon the world. :doom:

(Course my friend is one of those who thinks everything he loved as a child is automatically great now and forever in spite of all evidence proving that like all of us he had generally terrible taste as a kid because we all didn't know any better. And he also has shared dumb poo poo a minute's Googling would lead to Snopes and prove false. And then not even go "Oops my bad!". Guy is one of the genuinely one of the loveliest people you will ever meet but ye gods can he be dumb as a goddamned brick. :smith: )

Vvvv geez. You sure do get salty on a fuckload of people in this thread don't you? vvvvvvv

ffs chill dude

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I posted a while back about the SNES HD Retrovision component cable. It didn't work on my TV with SNES, but N64 did so I was ok with the $35 kickstarter purchase. Well, I decided to roll the dice and order the Genesis cables, hoping that it would work on my Vizio despite the SNES troubles. $55 shipped with the Model 1 adapter And.... they work!

I'm honestly blown away at the quality difference here. I forgot just how bad the Genesis was over composite on HDTVs (and that is the reason I never play it anymore)

That first picture isn't out of focus, it's just that bad.

It's probably not a huge improvement over S-video, but if anyone is stuck using composite on an LCD screen, I highly recommend those cables. And still top-quality workmanship on the cables themselves.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I once got all ornery about the Guitar Vader song in JSR being the most obnoxious thing in that soundtrack (even moreso than Dragula), made even more obnoxious by its repetition during the "chase the dudes and tag them using the same button as something else" on the Dreamcast... but then I wound up on Gamers.txt in helldump and decided that nobody really cared about what I disliked.

People will, time and again, disagree with what I dislike, and more power to them (some of you like the d-pad on Playstation controllers, for instance).

But man. Some people are going to like what they're going to like. Like that whole "some guy did a cosmetic and systematic remake of Super Pitfall to make it less lovely" that takes a game that didn't seem like a good effort and turned it into... well... it's not GREAT, but it's a far cry from Pony's original port.

Tee Ell Dee Arr say: Talk about what you like. It's not a crime to like things you don't.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I got pretty decent at soldering in NES and SNES batteries after a certain point, but I'm not sure I'll ever do an OK job with my GB/GBA carts. GBA especially is such a bitch to even get the plastic casing closed after the fact.

The batteries they sell on ebay have the pins at an incorrect angle for the GBA games (those OEM batteries sit over a chip, and the replacement batteries are manufactured to lay flush). I have had a lot of luck using a set of needlenose pliers to bend the pins to a similar angle as the OEM battery.

If it's because the battery is physically too big, try using another size. The pokemon GBA games use 2025 1616s and not the larger and more common 2032 2025s.

Edit: poo poo, got my sizes mixed up.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 19, 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

wa27 posted:

I posted a while back about the SNES HD Retrovision component cable. It didn't work on my TV with SNES, but N64 did so I was ok with the $35 kickstarter purchase. Well, I decided to roll the dice and order the Genesis cables, hoping that it would work on my Vizio despite the SNES troubles. $55 shipped with the Model 1 adapter And.... they work!

I'm honestly blown away at the quality difference here. I forgot just how bad the Genesis was over composite on HDTVs (and that is the reason I never play it anymore)

That first picture isn't out of focus, it's just that bad.

It's probably not a huge improvement over S-video, but if anyone is stuck using composite on an LCD screen, I highly recommend those cables. And still top-quality workmanship on the cables themselves.

Nice! I've said it before, but the Genesis is really good for highlighting the quality difference between composite and RGB(esque) video, not least because its composite video quality really is particularly awful even on CRTs, and there's no default S-Video support for the system. What kind of TV do you have, that the Retrovision cable works on?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah they're 2025's, Zero Mission seems to be fine but Circle of the Moon is definitely bent a tiny bit in the middle (it still can plug in). GBAs are mostly dumb if only because the battery has to sit over a bunch of ICs.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Nice! I've said it before, but the Genesis is really good for highlighting the quality difference between composite and RGB(esque) video, not least because its composite video quality really is particularly awful even on CRTs, and there's no default S-Video support for the system. What kind of TV do you have, that the Retrovision cable works on?

It's a Vizio e480i-B2, probably the most popular TV from 3-4 years ago. SNES over component doesn't work, but modded N64 and now Genesis does, so I guess it's just something weird with the SNES timings or something.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah they're 2025's, Zero Mission seems to be fine but Circle of the Moon is definitely bent a tiny bit in the middle (it still can plug in). GBAs are mostly dumb if only because the battery has to sit over a bunch of ICs.

Got my sizes mixed up - 2032s are used in NES/SNES carts, 2025s are the "large" save batteries used in GB games, and GBA/small GB batteries are 1616s. If you're trying to shove 2025s into GBA carts designed for 1616s, then that's what your problem is.

The number descrives the diameter and thickness of the battery, i.e. a 2032 battery is 20mm in dameter and 3.2 mm thick.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Rufus is a good EGG (Elemental Gimmick Gear).

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

That's weird that the HD Retrovision cables work with the Genesis and N64, but not the SNES. I wonder if the HDTV is reading the Genesis as 480i somehow.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The SNES is always a bit finicky with it's RGB output though, even some normal RGB SCART> whatever boxes have trouble with it.

The Genesis's regular composite output is finicky with capture cards and converter boxes, on the other hand.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I have more reason to be angry over the NES X-Men game than any person in this thread and I thought that was a bit much.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Monitor Burn posted:

That's weird that the HD Retrovision cables work with the Genesis and N64, but not the SNES. I wonder if the HDTV is reading the Genesis as 480i somehow.

I know that one of those videos showing a Genesis hooked up to a Samsung PC monitor suggested that it treated the signal as being 480i. The Genesis might just be fairly generic, overall, but who knows?

Random Stranger posted:

I have more reason to be angry over the NES X-Men game than any person in this thread and I thought that was a bit much.

Rufus sperged for our sins. Question it not.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

I picture everything you write coming out in a kind of male "this one time, at band camp" voice

e: what the hell is nurgles rot

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 20, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zonekeeper posted:

Got my sizes mixed up - 2032s are used in NES/SNES carts, 2025s are the "large" save batteries used in GB games, and GBA/small GB batteries are 1616s. If you're trying to shove 2025s into GBA carts designed for 1616s, then that's what your problem is.

The number descrives the diameter and thickness of the battery, i.e. a 2032 battery is 20mm in dameter and 3.2 mm thick.
That would explain it. As I understand the voltage is exactly the same across these sort of batteries, just with the larger ones being able to last longer. CotM and Zero Mission were my only GBA battery games and they're already in there, albeit snugly, so I guess in the end it's not the end of the world :shrug: If anything I guess it will last longer.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

FilthyImp posted:

The Saturn could, though, right? That's the code base I assume they used.

Saturn can do transparency, but most developers didn't bother

https://youtu.be/f_OchOV_WDg

edit: beaten

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, most/all of the button cell batteries are 3.0v, so the bigger ones will last longer if you can make them fit inside the case.

This is also how people make AA/AAA holders work in the Sega CD or TG16 in place of a 2032.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

d0s posted:

e: what the hell is nurgles rot

Sounds like a sex act.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sounds like a sex act.

It's from Warhammer, so more like an anti-sex act.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Captain Rufus posted:

your dumb freakout posts would be (very) slightly less embarrassing if you could talk like a normal person instead of like you somehow got kidnapped and held hostage in an early 2000s video game message board until today

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Random Stranger posted:

I was kind of exaggerating for comedic effect. (As I am wont to do.) It's a very very very bad game. So bad. Like Hydlide is better. Spelunker. Arcade Pit Fighter. Time Killers. No for the record I did not post my rage hate on my Facebook when I linked to the Pat video. Which I merely did to my own wall as it was nice to see someone who also suffered through that pos. I think AVGN also might have endured it? Or Projared? My friend did not really approve. But he is pure nostalgia goggles for everything. But watching him see or play things from his childhood causes him to try to excuse their awfulness. One thing I shared directly with him was the recent Phelous Transformers stupidity countdown. He tried to defend CARBOMBYA. It was not good. Yet he hates Beast Wars because it's not G1. Which is heresy. (He makes amazingly dumb excuses when he fucks up. Something he used to do quite often. Instead of apologizing when he pissed us off for his latest derp.)

It still blows my mind somebody could like that game at all. I will have to ask him how old he was when he first played it and how long has it been since he played it last? I am betting 10 years old played it and 25 years ago.

I mean it's just pop culture poo poo either way so it's just harmless fun really. He can like it if he wishes. Imma still give him friendly ribbing over it. I did show him the AVGN Festers Quest video back in the day because he said he loved that game. His reactions were adorable.

That's Rufus' lesson for the day kids: your childhood loves were probably stupid. Cherish the memories but don't try refreshing them. That leads to pain and wondering why you were supposed to root for the Nerds in Revenge of the Nerds. :psyduck:

Edit : vvvv. I'm not. I'm more mad at people mad at me bemused at a friend who is kinda mad at my sharing the opinion of an ok Youtuber that an LJN NES game was quite awful. What does it all mean? I dunno! Nobody should give enough of a gently caress to figure it out. And all of my extended circle of people IRL should quit trying to help my friend have good taste in irrelevant entertainment choices. Like the dude actually liked the Jem movie. One of the biggest flops of 2016 except without the internet trainwrecks all the higher profile failures had. Vvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 20, 2016

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Captain Rufus posted:

I was kind of exaggerating for comedic effect. (As I am wont to do.) It's a very very very bad game. So bad. Like Hydlide is better. Spelunker. Arcade Pit Fighter. Time Killers. No for the record I did not post my rage hate on my Facebook when I linked to the Pat video. Which I merely did to my own wall as it was nice to see someone who also suffered through that pos. I think AVGN also might have endured it? Or Projared? My friend did not really approve. But he is pure nostalgia goggles for everything. But watching him see or play things from his childhood causes him to try to excuse their awfulness. One thing I shared directly with him was the recent Phelous Transformers stupidity countdown. He tried to defend CARBOMBYA. It was not good. Yet he hates Beast Wars because it's not G1. Which is heresy. (He makes amazingly dumb excuses when he fucks up. Something he used to do quite often. Instead of apologizing when he pissed us off for his latest derp.)

It still blows my mind somebody could like that game at all. I will have to ask him how old he was when he first played it and how long has it been since he played it last? I am betting 10 years old played it and 25 years ago.

I mean it's just pop culture poo poo either way so it's just harmless fun really. He can like it if he wishes. Imma still give him friendly ribbing over it. I did show him the AVGN Festers Quest video back in the day because he said he loved that game. His reactions were adorable.

That's Rufus' lesson for the day kids: your childhood loves were probably stupid. Cherish the memories but don't try refreshing them. That leads to pain and wondering why you were supposed to root for the Nerds in Revenge of the Nerds. :psyduck:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I once got all ornery about the Guitar Vader song in JSR being the most obnoxious thing in that soundtrack (even moreso than Dragula), made even more obnoxious by its repetition during the "chase the dudes and tag them using the same button as something else" on the Dreamcast... but then I wound up on Gamers.txt in helldump and decided that nobody really cared about what I disliked.

That's because the tedious noise pollution that is Birthday Cake exists in JSRF. :colbert:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

I was kind of exaggerating for comedic effect. (As I am wont to do.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's because the tedious noise pollution that is Birthday Cake exists in JSRF. :colbert:

Actually that song is very sweet.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I like Pat's podcast but NES punk is pretty bad

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Captain Rufus posted:

(He makes amazingly dumb excuses when he fucks up. Something he used to do quite often. Instead of apologizing when he pissed us off for his latest derp.)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kashuno posted:

All of the old youtube personalities realized in the past few years that people were tuning in for them, not their fecal obsessed characters.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Just FYI, Massdrop has a drop going for the 8bitdo SFC30 pad, it's like $22, I bought myself another one.

e. it ends tomorrow, so get on it!

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 20, 2016

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Captain Rufus posted:

I just had the worst Facebook discussion with a friend

I'm betting "friend" is only a one-way designation here

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Kashuno posted:

Segue into good video gaming podcasts?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Harlock posted:

CoolGames Inc

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Harlock posted:

Retronauts. For non-retro stuff I really like 8-4 Play, but it relies heavily on you liking the personalities of the hosts.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Harlock posted:

My commute listening

Idle Thumbs: Chris Remo, Jake Rodkin, Sean Vaneman, and Nick Breckon (Telltale alumni, three of them went on to do Firewatch) talk about games. They almost always find the weirdest aspects of games to discuss, usually resulting in hilarious stories and videos like this and this.

e: this should be the only argument you need for why Idle Thumbs is the best.

Three Moves Ahead: A really critical show focused on PC strategy titles new and old. The hosts and guests have vastly different tastes resulting in very interesting arguments. The Last Express episode is one of the best retrospectives on a video game I've listened to.

Watch Out For Fireballs/Abject Suffering: Two goofball goons bad at games talk about old poo poo. Fireballs is like a book club format, usually 2+ hours. Abject suffering is them playing a really lovely game. The result is a 30 minute show with about 3 minutes devoted to the topic and 27 minutes of gamers.txt. My favorite running joke involves drafting the developers of these bad games into a war of Good vs. Evil.

Retronauts: doesn't need explaining.

Legacy Music Hour/VGMpire: two separate podcasts dealing with video game music. LMH is 8-16 bit only, VGM covers whole series or genres.

No Quarter: Retro arcade podcast by two old farts. Most of the stuff is early 80s which is interesting because my knowledge of arcade games doesn't really begin until Capcom's CPS so learning about stuff pre-1988 is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

That would explain it. As I understand the voltage is exactly the same across these sort of batteries, just with the larger ones being able to last longer. CotM and Zero Mission were my only GBA battery games and they're already in there, albeit snugly, so I guess in the end it's not the end of the world :shrug: If anything I guess it will last longer.

Yup, button cells are all usually 3v, so they're interchangeable. Bigger ones last longer, so smaller/thinner ones only get used when bigger ones can't physically fit.

As long as it isn't interfering with your carts' physical usability, go ahead and leave 'em.

• Locked thread